Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Life does not end with a stage IV diagnosis (really!)

Comments

• Wendy3
    Wendy3 Member Posts: 872
    edited July 2016

Deanna loved that was beautifully written I'm finding all moments that I took for granted before are a gift now even walking my dog. Cancer so changes our prospective on things so not all bad eh

• shutterbug73
    shutterbug73 Member Posts: 284
    edited July 2016

Deanna - your friend's blog post was simply beautiful! Loved the poem.

Caryn- I'm sorry things have been rough for you. A reminder that life doesn't stop for our illness, and we still have to take the bad with the good, I guess.

Nbnotes - congrats on 4 years!

I'm so excited! DH and I just booked a trip to New Orleans for our 10th anniversary in September! I've never been and have always wanted to go. He went a few years ago on a business trip and loved it. We usually stay close to home because the last time I flew (on a small private plane, probably 13 years ago) I had terrible problems with my ears, and ended up with a humming noise that lasted for years. This time I will be armed with Sudafed and nasal spray to make sure my head is clear. Any NOLA "must sees" are appreciated!

• gonegirl
    gonegirl Member Posts: 1,022
    edited July 2016

Oooh, oooh. Shutterburg. I did my 50th birthday in New Orleans. I was diagnosed out the door stage iv when I was 47, so 50 was a big deal. Let me know if you can see this Pinterest board I created for the trip. Loooooove New Orleans.

https://www.pinterest.com/gritgirl64/new-orleans/

Susan

• shutterbug73
    edited July 2016

Susan, that is perfect! I added several of your pins to the NOLA board I started last night... Thank you! I'll have lots of reading and planningto do in the next month!

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,254
    edited July 2016

I love New Orleans and have been there several times. If you can, stay in the French Quarter, as I think it's not only fun in itself, but a great base for exploring.

The food is fabulous and there are more great restaurants than you can imagine. One of my favorite things to dois to take the street car out to the Garden District and have lunch at Commander's Palace. Go wild and have a cocktail before lunch and bananas Foster for dessert. Then, walk right across the street to Lafayette Cemetary (ok, morbid, perhaps at stage IV), one of the cities famed above ground cemeteries. Then, stroll around the Garden District to look at the beautiful homes.

Very touristy, but enjoy coffee and beignets at the Cafe du Monde and then take a boat ride on the Mississippi .

If you're interested in plantations, find one of the smaller tour operators and take a tour of the River Road plantations. Fascinating antebellum history.

You can also visit and tour some of the places that make Mardi Gras floats. Sorry, but I forgot the name.

Try Central Grocery Co. for po' boys, Acme Oyster house for oysters and beer, Galatoire's for true old school New Orleans food and Brigtsen's for an intimate, romantic dinner. The carousel bar at the Hotel Monteleone is great for a drink (and a great place to stay). Stay away from any "safe" chain restaurants and you can't go wrong.

Have a fabulous time🍾

• shutterbug73
    edited July 2016

Thanks for the great suggestions Caryn! After much deliberation we finally decided on Olivier House in the FQ as our hotel. Also, I absolutely love old cemeteries, so a cemetery tour is definitely on the list! We plan on a Garden District Tour too, so I'll try to remember Commander's Palace. Looking forward to Cafe du Monde as it has been the most recommended "to do" so far!

I'm going to investigate all of your restaurant suggestions. Our "actual" anniversary is on a Friday, so we are planning on making reservations ahead of time for that evening.

• artistatheart
    artistatheart Member Posts: 1,437
    edited July 2016

Great news nbnotes! Have a great cruise and post some pics when you get back! Happy 10th Shutter! You have a great trip too. My sister just went to New Orleans and loved it! Caryn, So sorry to hear about your Dad. When my Mom was getting older and not doing well I also was the sibling who lived far away.So it fell on my siblings. I too felt guilt that I did not get there to help out very often. But realistically I just could not. You do what you can do. As far as your DD, tell her my sister went through a divorce a few years back and just wanted to be nice, despite the fact that her husband was a total RAT! She ended up getting shafted on the settlement..... Have a relaxing time at the pool! It has been sweltering hot in CA!

• exbrnxgrl
    edited July 2016

Thanks everyone. Apparently my dad fired his caregiver this morning. He really does need her and she only came for 3 hours, M-F. She is very sweet, but don't know if she can be convinced to come back after his shenanigans. My brother and I will talk later As for my daughter, she says that she is now working with a lawyer. She was the primary breadwinner, and earns quite a nice living. I hope her lawyer will be as aggressive as needed.

Yup, part of leading a fairly normal life, is dealingwith the downs as well as the ups.

• Andi67
    Andi67 Member Posts: 314
    edited August 2016

I posted this on the Fitness Thread... just wanted to share a picture from a hike with my two adorable boys ( who I am hoping will produce adorable grandchildren, just like Caryn's, someday... but not TOO soon...). We were in Beaver Creek. Hike to beautiful high mountain lake called Beaver Lake. I injured my knee a week or so ago (hence the knee brace) but it was such a gorgeous day and I was so happy to be hiking with them that the pain didn't matter!

• Wendy3
    edited August 2016

Andi love this picture now if I could only get my boys out for a walk

• adc21791
    adc21791 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2016

So glad I read this post. I am new to this group.

Kim

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    edited August 2016

Andi, love the photo! Great looking boys! And I admit, I'm jealous that you were in Beaver Creek!

adc, welcome to BCO. Of all the threads here, you managed to find one of the best right away!

• Bluefrog76
    Bluefrog76 Member Posts: 250
    edited August 2016

Saturday marked my one year de novo diagnosis, three spinal compression fractures, and too many bone mets to list. Feeling great one year out. Looking forward to turning 40 this month and all that comes in the years that follow.

• artistatheart
    edited August 2016

I just love seeing the family photos! I feel the connection with each of every one of you as you hug those gorgeous kids and stand tall next to those awesome Dh's! It really makes my heart smile. Thanks ladies! A Beaver Creek hike sounds awesome. Those are some handsome young men there Andi! And Rachel, your family is absolutely darling. Happy Big 40 and many many more!

• Wendy3
    edited August 2016

You guys look so happy and healthy Rachel here's to all of us forging on with good times and loved ones. Keep the photos coming.

Wendy

• exbrnxgrl
    edited August 2016

I adore everyone's family photos. Those smiling faces are priceless

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,607
    edited August 2016

Andi and Bluefrog, what beautiful kids!!!

adc, welcome

• Kandy
    Kandy Member Posts: 424
    edited August 2016

Awesome pics. I also love the connection we get by seeing pics. Putting a face to a name. I say enjoy every moment.

• Peanut0110
    Peanut0110 Member Posts: 37
    edited August 2016

I also enjoyed seeing the Beautiful family pictures.

• shutterbug73
    edited August 2016

Love love love the photos Andi and Bluefrog. Even better are the smiles and the stories that go along with them. We certainly are an amazing bunch! My hats off to all of you and your families too!

• nbnotes
    nbnotes Member Posts: 338
    edited August 2016

This is my dad and I after completing a 5k at sea for Holland America's "on deck for a cause". A nice little exercise break and chance to give back in the middle of our Canada/New England cruise.image

• artistatheart
    edited August 2016

Nice nb! You got your Dad's dimples I see! What is a 5k at sea?

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,607
    edited August 2016

nbnotes, great photo! How wonderful to be on a cruise, and doubly sweet to be able to give back while you're there. A Canada/New England cruise sounds divine

• Peanut0110
    edited August 2016

Nbnotes, nice pic and how wonderful it is to spend time with your dad .

• Peanut0110
    edited August 2016

Nbnotes, nice picture and how wonderful it is to spend time with your dad.

• nbnotes
    nbnotes Member Posts: 338
    edited August 2016

artist - For this ship, it was just over 12 times around Deck 6, and the money goes to 6 international cancer charities based on the # and % of people each year that cruise with them from each country.

• shutterbug73
    edited August 2016

nbnotes - great photo of you and your dad! That sounds like so much fun, and a great way to raise money.

• exbrnxgrl
    edited August 2016

nbnotes,

The line I most often cruise on does a Komen walk. Needless to say, I don't participate, but yours sounds great.

Had a PET yesterday because I have been having difficulty eating and am losing weight. The good news is no progression or anything amiss with digestive system. The bad news is pesky growth on my thyroid, which has troubled me on and off for years, needs to be biopsied. I've had this done several times in the past as well as having had radioactive iodine therapy for severe hyperthyroidism. Grr...if it's not one thing, it's another.

On a happier note, summer camp is done, so after my classroom is deep cleaned, I will be able to get in and start setting up for the new school year. My car is so stuffed with supplies, that it looks like I'm operating a mobile teaching service. Here's a new pic of Miles and Frankie, taken yesterday.

• tina2
    tina2 Member Posts: 758
    edited August 2016

Shutterbug,

When we were in New Orleans years ago, we took this tour. It was led by a naturalist and great fun!

http://www.honeyislandswamp.com/

Tina

• Kandy
    Kandy Member Posts: 424
    edited August 2016

Caryn, it's always something isn't it. I hope your thyroid problem gets straightened out soon. Hard to believe the summer is almost over and time for school to start back. Grandkids are adorable. Loving Miles' sunglasses.