Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Life does not end with a stage IV diagnosis (really!)

Comments

• GatorGal
    GatorGal Member Posts: 750
    edited July 2016

miles is so darned cute. My granddaughter is 6 months now and it just seems like the months go so fast! Tromirrow will have the two oldest grandsons and am taking them to six flags. They are 9 and 11 and will enjoy it so much. I'll be exhausted but will be smiling all day!! Had 9 days of yuck after chemo so now taking advantage of my "good week" and doing lots of fun things! Mostly lunches with friends but it is nice to catch up!

• gonegirl
    gonegirl Member Posts: 1,022
    edited July 2016

Ok. I'm totally digging on this thread. Thank goodness to hear about folks living life through all this. I just got married myself 2 weeks ago. Scary as heck since never been married and frightened for my health (scans on 7/31), but this sure calms me. Here's a pic from the ceremony and a blog I wrote about it.

Dating and Marriage with Advanced Cancer: Hope in the Midst of Sadnesswww.curetoday.com/…/hope-in-the-midst-of-cancer-sadn…

Just so happy to see all the photos of babies and retirements and such. Thank you so much for being here.

Susan

• Mel26
    Mel26 Member Posts: 39
    edited July 2016

Congratulations!!! May you have many years of happiness together!

Hugs, Melanie

• gonegirl
    edited July 2016

Melani: That's what I'm hoping for. I keep knocking on wood. :-)

Susan

• artistatheart
    artistatheart Member Posts: 1,437
    edited July 2016

Oh Susan, That is beautiful! Look how happy you are! That just made me tear up and smile at once. Many, many happy years for you and your new hubby!

• gonegirl
    edited July 2016

Thank you so, so much, artist. It was such a relief to finally have something happy to deal with for a bit.

Susan

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,254
    edited July 2016

Wow! What wonderful news. Congratulations to you and your husband and may you have many, many years of happiness together,

Caryn

• gonegirl
    edited July 2016

Caryn:

Thank you so, so much.

Susan

• Kandy
    Kandy Member Posts: 424
    edited July 2016

That is fabulous, Susan. May each day bring you joy and happiness.

• iwrite
    iwrite Member Posts: 746
    edited July 2016

Love all the happy news on this thread!

Beautiful wedding photo Susan! So happy for you both and wishing you many years of joy.

Caryn - Grandchildren are an amazing blessing! So glad you are enjoying it :-)

GatorGal - Sounds like you are having a wonderful time with grandchildren as well.

Looks like we are all having joyful moments this summer...Yay!

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,607
    edited July 2016

GritGirl, wow, I also got tears in my eyes reading your uplifting news! Congratulations! I am so very happy for you! You make a beautiful bride and the groom cleans up nicely, too! What a wonderful way to confirm "life does not end with a stage iv diagnosis" with a wedding......really!!! Congratulations on taking the "leap". Going to go read your blog entry now. Best wishes to you on your married life

• gonegirl
    edited July 2016

Thanks, Divine: I need the luck. Never been married before and, frankly, think it'll be more challenging to deal with than the health stuff. Changes.

• Kandy
    Kandy Member Posts: 424
    edited July 2016

Gritgirl, that made me laugh about the marriage may be more challenging. I have been married for 36 years. It is challenging but I would do it all again if I could. I hope you have the happiness that it has brought me. Best wishes.

• Nel
    Nel Member Posts: 597
    edited July 2016

gritgirl,

You go. Living your life to the fullest!!

• bestbird
    bestbird Member Posts: 232
    edited July 2016

Susan, congratulations on your marriage, and please accept very best wishes for happiness for decades to come!

• Peanut0110
    Peanut0110 Member Posts: 37
    edited July 2016

grit girl, wishing you and your husband a long and happy life together

• shutterbug73
    shutterbug73 Member Posts: 284
    edited July 2016

Congrats Susan! I loved your blog post (found it on FB). I think my diagnosis only made my husband and I closer. No time to take anyone or anything for granted anymore. Much love and happiness to you both!

Caryn and Gator - nice to hear you are getting in some quality grandbaby time over the summer. Enjoy every second

• Wendy3
    Wendy3 Member Posts: 872
    edited July 2016

imageWe got the gold medal at yesterday's regatta. Talk about a bunch of breast cancer woman getting excited. Was incredible ,Harrison lake regatta and we came first in woman's B class from thirty teams😊.

Such a great day

Wend

• Bliss58
    Bliss58 Member Posts: 938
    edited July 2016

Great news, Wendy, and congratulations on the gold!

Congratuations to you Susan, and may you have many blissful years to come.

Miles is just adorable, Caryn.

• artistatheart
    edited July 2016

Way to go Wendy! Haven't heard from you for awhile so nice to see you are keeping gloriously busy! Shutter, I agree it has brought hubby and I closer together. Kandy, 36 years is outstanding. We are 29 and I would do it all over too.

• gonegirl
    edited July 2016

thanks everyone for the most excellent wishes, and congrats, wendy, on the regatta. it sure is nice to read good news for a change. :-)

• Bad_At_Usernames
    Bad_At_Usernames Member Posts: 241
    edited July 2016

Congrats gritgirl! I read your article and it made me tear up. I myself did not get married after my Stage IV diagnosis, but I did get married after my original diagnosis. Cancer solidified my love and commitment to my now-husband and made me focus in on what's important. It's the one good thing to come out of this whole rotten mess.

At my next onc appointment, we are going to talk to him about starting the surrogacy process. It would be awhile before we'd have all our ducks in a row to actually welcome a baby into our lives, so I want to make sure we are planning well in advance. So that's how I'm living my life to it's fullest after a Stage IV diagnosis

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    edited July 2016

Great to see everyone's good news!

In the spirit of this thread, I wanted to share a wonderful blog a FB friend of mine, Kathy Townsend, just posted about living with mbc. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

http://avoiceformbc.blogspot.com/2016/07/planes-tr...

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,607
    edited July 2016

dlb, what a beautiful blog post from your friend, Kathy. She is moving forward and living a full life with mbc and that truly is to be celebrated

• artistatheart
    edited July 2016

Yes Deanna, That was very touching and beautiful. Brought me to tears.....I am envious of women who manage to feel so positive despite this diagnosis. I hope to get to a place of acceptance someday. Thanks!

• 50sgirl
    50sgirl Member Posts: 2,071
    edited July 2016

Caryn, Miles looks happier and more beautiful with each picture that you post. I can't help but smile when I see him.

Susan, I already congratulated you on another thread, but your news is so special that it deserves another comment. Congratulations!

Bad-at-names, You are certainly taking steps to live life to the fullest. Keep us updated on your plans.

Deanna, Thank you for posting the link to your friend's blog. Her thoughts and positive attitude are touching.

Lynne

• nbnotes
    nbnotes Member Posts: 338
    edited July 2016

Just passed my 4 year cancerversary last week and found out yesterday that I am still NED. I'm leaving in a couple of days for a Canada / New England cruise and then to Nashville to see my new baby nephew. So thankful for all of these things, and to be living life even with this diagnosis!

• gonegirl
    edited July 2016

NBNotes: That is wonderful, wonderful news. Go enjoy that vacation.

Susan

• gramen
    gramen Member Posts: 116
    edited July 2016

Congrats nbnotes!

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,254
    edited July 2016

Ladies,

I feel like I've been remiss about this thread. My hearty congrats and best wishes to those who've celebrated special moments and good health.

I'm still struggling with my aged dad. After spending time with him, earlier this month, I am dismayed by his deteriorating mental state. My brother is close by, but I feel guilty that so much of this falls on him and my sister in law, even though they are both caring and overall wonderful.

My older dd has been dragging her feet on formalizing her separation/divorce. She has no desire to reconcile, but she wants to be "nice" about things. Meanwhile, her ex continues to be more irresponsible and meaner than ever. Grrrrr...

Thanks for all the compliments on Miles. He is a real cutie. Taking both grandkids to hang out at the pool later, as we are having a bit of a heatwave.

Best to all.