Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Unilateral mastectomy & reconstruction

Options

Comments

• tress29
    tress29 Member Posts: 9
    edited June 2015
    Options

I have one fill left and then will be having the exchange in July.  Have to decide if I want nipple reconstruction or not.  Part of me says why bother, but the other part wonders if clothes will look better when I'm bra-less.  Since I've always been pretty small, my idea of the perfect bra is a sweatshirt!

• isabelarcher
    isabelarcher Member Posts: 281
    edited June 2015
    Options

I'm too big to go braless so that aspect of the nipple issue didn't apply to me. So that put me in the "why bother" camp--in bras and bathing suits (only ones with built-in bras or a little bit of padding) having one nipple makes no difference. If I were someone who went braless occasionally, though, I would have very seriously considered nipple recon--I'm pretty sure you will find that it will make a difference, not in a sweatshirt, but in t-shirts. In nightgowns, if it's cold (!), I can certainly see clearly that i've got one on one side and none on the other.

• shanshan
    shanshan Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hello,

I am considering having a uni MX. I am debating whether to put in the TE right away or to wait until I am completely healed to start reconstruction. I am not a canditate for any flap recons so I probably will have an implant. Did anyone here wait on placing the TE? Or I would value anyone's recommendation on this.

Shanshan

• Sparkle2014
    Sparkle2014 Member Posts: 83
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hi ladies - thank you all for great, honest comments... it really helps! I do have an amazing Plastic Surgeon with precise stitching skill, the tissue expander that I have had in for almost a full year now (since MX) - actually looks incredible from a technical point of view,,, it is not comfortable for most part - and is a lot harder and huge vs what I had - he overfilled me to about 400-450 cc so he could go forward with an implant about 350 cc, he said by overfilling would give him the skin needed to get implant in etc.... and re-stitched at 2nd surgery.

and yes Frostecat - you always say terrific things - if I don't do the lift, i know myself and I would say WHY the heck didn't you do it when you'll be in Op Room and under anesthisia and out and off work anyways,,,, so yes - plan is go for it ( just hate idea having my nipple moved and repositioned - and that part of winding up with one nipple and one real breast and the other no nipple and an implant - i guess i can always decide to go for nip recon should it become any issue for me in future

for now, i think my idea of just getting a Tatoo of a small anchor on the implant side or a tatoo of gerber daisy outline,,, something like that maybe better for me then a fake nipple,, will see, not going to worry about that yet!

That GENIE Bra is one of the better no wires bras,,, and just got a couple at aerie.com (on clearance too, just $7.50),, which are ALL OTTON which for my sensitive skin is perfect - it is the cotton twist bras - i sewed the straps so tighter on one and am about to cut the straps and sew them again so they are not in racer strap position and just regular bra style - i think many of you would like these especially since all cotton and because supportive comfy straps don't dig in on shoulder blades and the band under the breast doesn't seem to rub the stitch lines which many bras kill - take a look and also a link to a tonic for cancer, arthritis, inflammation, joint pain etc - may be helpful to fight that infection in breast too New Yorker... i hope that will heal soon!!!! and infection will subside.. keep us updated and let us know what they plan to do (are you on antibiotics or do they need to go back in to surgery?) sorry that you have to go through this in addition to everything else... we all understand how upsetting and stressful it is when things don't go according to the plan,,, sending positive vibes your way!!!!

http://www.ae.com/aerie/browse/category.jsp?catId=...

http://rawforbeauty.com/blog/the-healthiest-drink-...

on separate note,

anyone have any other odd health issues arise after the Mastectomy - that you sort of wonder is there any connection - ? changes to feeling colder more so or changes to your skin, dryness, feeling skin is dryer and kind of itchy or body aches or congestion more so? just curious,,

thanks again to everyone for helping me get a grip! :)

• JustAJennifer
    JustAJennifer Member Posts: 18
    edited June 2015
    Options

posted in exchange city, wanted to include here too

I am home and happy on my couch. Exchange and lift yesterday went well from what I understand. I woke to more pain than after MX, but I think that was due to my anesthesia choices. We got it straightened out.

My implant is Allergan Natrelle 410 FF 740cc. It has a smoother slope than the high projection of the TE. At first look, I'm worried that the breast doesn't fold over but maybe this is swelling? And it seems low on my chest. My PS warned me the lift side would be higher and more swollen than the implant, and that's true.

The lift side is giving me more discomfort than I anticipated, mostly on the side boob. It is quite black and blue, and the incision under the breast is much longer than I expected. The exchange incision line is strange- she didn't fully reopen the horizontal scar, just a section on the inside and a section on the outside.

The mirror was scary, I think I'll stay away for a bit, and try to remember all of your good advice to hold judgement.

• jcfree
    jcfree Member Posts: 30
    edited June 2015
    Options

Am following this thread as I am scheduled for a uni-masectomy on July 7 on right side. Have not decided if I want reconstruction. If I decide for it I want to have a reduction on the left side as I am large breasted. Am waiting for call from Cancer center for a consult with a PS. Interesting reading of everyone's experiences.

• angelia50
    angelia50 Member Posts: 168
    edited June 2015
    Options

Best wishes to you. It is a hard decision on what to do. I had orig. elected to have a lumpectomy but further testing showed I needed mastectomy. I had also thought I would never want reconstruction but a trip to the bra store, holding the fake boob in my had, sealed the deal to me that I didn't want to have that daily reminder. Hope your surgery goes well.

• isabelarcher
    edited June 2015
    Options

just a general comment to give everyone dealing with uni mastectomy a ray of sunshine--I went to a wedding this weekend in a very low cut square neck dress. Push-up underwire bra held up my natural unlifted boob and Frankenboob just sailed along on its own. My friends could not get over it--said no one would ever guess I'd had surgery and that one was fake. Only when you study it can you see that the Frankenboob has more volume at the top. And really, no one is studying it

Good luck to all as you find what is right for you.

• angelia50
    angelia50 Member Posts: 168
    edited June 2015
    Options

I have said, if somebody is looking close enough to figure out which of mine is real and which isnt', they are looking too hard at something that they dont' need to be looking at. Kind of like those bumper stickers, if you can read this, you are too close.

• Frostecat
    Frostecat Member Posts: 223
    edited June 2015
    Options

Now that it is summertime, I find myself considering nipple reconstruction. I didn't think I would go through with it, but now that I'm wearing swimsuits and lighter clothing, sometime it's pretty noticeable that I only have one headlight on! Can those who have done nipple reconstruction share your story? Thanks.

Just a Jennifer,

My lift side gave me trouble too for awhile. The scar is large, and I was having a difficult time trying to find a bra that wouldn't irritate it. Hang in there, it does get better. I now look at that incision that bothered me so much - now it is barely noticeable, unless I actually life my breast and look under it. It too shall heal.

Sparkle,

I think in the long run you will be glad you opted for the lift, I still have zero regrets in choosing to do so. Not trying to sway you one way or the other, just letting you know my experience.

• lala1
    lala1 Member Posts: 974
    edited June 2015
    Options

Frostecat--Nip recon was probably the easiest part of it all for me. Went to my PS office and he did it as outpatient. I didn't even get totally undressed! He gave me a numbing shot, which I didn't even feel, then went to work. We chatted the whole time about various things and I think it took about half an hour. My DH took a nap on the couch in the waiting room! Then it was just a matter of trying to prevent it from collapsing too much. My PS suggested keeping it padded for about 4 weeks. I took it upon myself to pad it for 12 weeks. I used the round cotton makeup pads from Target. I could cut a hold in one, put it over the nip, and then cover that with another whole one and tape that on. I'd change it morning and evening. And you couldn't see the whole thing through my bra even with a tshirt on. I will say I've lost some projection but the nip pretty much settled down to match pretty darn closely to my native nip when it's soft. I was sooooo glad I did it. When I look down, I see 2 nips and it makes me feel very normal. Later I got a Vinnie tattoo and when I look in the mirror, I just see 2 boobs!

• Frostecat
    edited June 2015
    Options

Thanks for the reply lala. I like to hear it when you don't have any regrets about the very many choices we must make. I'll be talking to my PS about this on my next visit for sure.

One question - can I ask where they got the skin for the nipple?

• lala1
    edited June 2015
    Options

My nip was done "origami" style. I think they call it the CV flap or something. They make an incision that is in the shape of a spacecraft, then pull up the ends together and fold the top part over, I think. I didn't watch so I couldn't swear to all this (well, I peeked towards the end but it was mostly done by then) but this was how my PS described it to me. Again, no pain. The only thing I felt was when he gave me the numbing injection, I felt a small "electric shock" about 3 inches below my foob. Kinda shocked me! My PS said it was cause all my nerves are shot and have hooked up for sensations in weird places. He's right cause sometimes I can run my fingernail down my cleavage and have it send shock waves over under my arm. Pretty weird! Recon is not for sissies!!! :)

• Sparkle2014
    edited June 2015
    Options

Lala - that origami style nip recon sounds very appealing - i thought the skin had to taken from your other Private parts,,, down there, this may make me actually consider it in future - always nice to hear good experiences and learn more options. Frostecat, please post after your trip to PS and let us know if you find any add'l info

i thought of another question for the implant going in vs having the tissue expander - my tissue expander which was filled to about 425 cc or so - it sticks out to the side (towards right side underarm area) which having had for a year has gotten in the way as it is so unmovable and really has been severely painful - my entire right side shoulder and scapula and rotator cuff has been on fire for a year,,, i wonder if when the TE is removed if the implant with relieve the pain or if anyone had issues with pain lingering? i overuse my shoulders and had a real frozen shoulder for almost 2 years in 2006 to 2008,,, so the Mastectomy and TE pretty much re-ignited all the pain and inflammation and joint instability and all,,,

i will try to think positive, i hope getting rid of the TE will make it feel like a huge weight removed and allow me to not endure chronic pain every moment,,, i can only hope - what i do in my head is say thank you Lord for sparing me from Chemo and Rads,,, but it's not healthy or normal to have this intense pain and burning in my right shoulder - i need to begin icing it,,, and was wondering if anyone had anything similar - any suggestions,,, i don't take any anti inflammatories - i am so medication sensitive but i imagine that people may suggest that,,,

thanks ladies - we definately are not sissies,,, my chant for the day (help me be Hopeful, Humble, Healthy and Happy)

• isabelarcher
    edited June 2015
    Options

Sparkle, why have you had the TE for so long? I feel bad for you that you've been stuck with it for a year. I can definitely say that the silicone implant is MUCH MUCH more comfortable than that rock-hard coconut shell. In fact, I don't feel it at all and have total range of movement. It was a HUGE relief to get rid of the TE (in my case after about 6 months). I hope you can do the exchange soon.

• lala1
    edited June 2015
    Options

Sparkle--I'm one of those who didn't get much pain relief from the exchange surgery. Most of my pain was muscle spasms which were only helped with Flexeril and a bra 24/7. It wasn't until I got PT about 6 weeks before my exchange surgery that I started to get some relief. Then once I got the implant in and ramped up the PT I finally got my ROM back and got rid of the pain (for the most part). I do still have some pain issues in that I feel the implant is a little to big for me so it's quite uncomfortable to go braless. The only time I do is to take a shower. I also get some scar tissue build up on that side along the rib cage where my drains were. Periodic myofascial release massage therapy helps tremendously with that. I also make sure I stretch my pec muscle every day. My BS said I would need to do all of these things probably forever. That's the only way to live a "normal" life. I do go to the gym everyday and do yoga 3 times a week all of which have been a godsend for me.

• Fourminor
    Fourminor Member Posts: 118
    edited June 2015
    Options

Just came back from my four month PS checkup after exchange. About two months ago i noticed a ripple at the medial upper pole, basically the cleavage area. Its not huge but it shows in lower cut tops and was hoping to have him address with fat grafting as my skin is a bit thin there. He said my results are like A- right now, the size match is excellent and the ripple is pretty small, but if we do fat graft, there's only about a 50% chance it will work and even if it does, it probably would not work right at the ripple. To which he added that there is also a small chance it could make it worse, and an even smaller chance that I get some infection and lose the implant. So, although he would do it if I wanted him to, because ultimately I'm the one who has to live with it, his advice from doing these things for years and looking at me was to leave it alone. I have Allergan 410 so the least likely to ripple of all the implants; if I had gone with the Sientra it would be a lot worse, if it were Saline it would be terrible.

We also talked about nipple recon. He doesn't think my skin is thick enough to do it (which is fine with me because my real nipple is pretty flat and unnoticeable, especially since I also live in a bra 23/7), but even when we talked tattoo he said that's another issue because if he matches the height of the real boob it won't look right on the foob, and even the size is tough because my areola is big but won't necessarily look right on the foob, plus the color fades over time, basically I walked out of there feeling a little dejected although the photographer said the result came out really nice. I wondered if she says that to everyone because she is really nice.

I think I'm going to order those fake nipples you stick on and see how i feel about that.

• lala1
    edited June 2015
    Options

Fourminor--If you can, go to the picture forum and look at my results. I also have a large areola and my native nip is fairly flat. Vinnie said I was a hard one to do because of the size of my areola. He basically didn't "match" my native side, he just made it look "matched" from a distance. And then he shaded my recon nip so it looks like it projects even though it doesn't very much. I can look in the mirror and see the difference pretty well. On the other hand, my DH says he can barely tell the difference. And if you go to someone like Vinnie, the color really doesn't fade much. Maybe like years and years but by then you'll need a new implant anyway!!

• Sparkle2014
    edited June 2015
    Options

lala & fourimor , thank you latest replies,,, i am still pondering options - i hear many women with thin skin have trouble with large implants,,,, i will be happy i think as long as the implant FEELS ok and that heals well and hope no rippling,,,, and that my lifted side - will look and feel and heal well... i still have doubts about even touching that natural side !!!!!!

like i said before, sometimes trying to MATCH two things that aren't meant to match could result in feeling,, why did i create more of a mess,,, i just got biten by a TICK, yes, total nightmare as it may be LYME disease - however can't get bloodtest to know for certain until DR said 4 or 6 weeks - which my 2nd surgery is in 3 1/2 weeks,,, and i am on doxycycline antibiotic for next 3 weeks,,, to hopefully prevent LYME disease if i was indeed biten by lyme infected tick

i was not expecting this surprise situation - i guess no one is ever expecting any of this - that is why i am still uncertain a 6 hour surgery is going to go too well - surgery on both sides - both breasts and my shin to remove a squamous cell carcinoma that will be three surgery sites at one operation,,,,,,,, i may change mind and just get implant in, and do the squamous on leg or ask if we can do the leg in the office with local and do that maybe a month later,,,,, not same day as breast,,, i feel weak and fragile and exhausted and over stressed and maybe not wise to get everything needed done in one surgery - i have state insurance this year - which is why PS could be suggesting to do all at once ,,,, his time - $$$ and my insurance he gets like nothing and maybe doing me favor since he started with me on MX and when i had good insurance,,,,,

so maybe I should feel blessed by having a left natural droppy real breast - my original self and not try to alter it and see first how the implant goes and feels and take things one step at a time,, ? i am ok with not being perfect, i just want to feel less pain and not have more health issues and try to get healthier and sleep better and eat more and eat better and treat myself better as been being way too hard on myself - blaming myself for having BC and having to be burden on family and not being fun to be around anymore....

i have lots work on emotional side to do! thanks for helping me think it through! peace night

• Fourminor
    Fourminor Member Posts: 118
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hi Sparkle! I hear you as I was off from work this week and went to FOUR yoga classes and otherwise did something every day for my body be it a long walk with my dog or a bike ride, meditated a few times, and was writing and playing with my son and working on finding a new job and physically i feel so much better. i've also been suffering a bit from Arimidex; my hair seems to have been thinning (just one month in) and sex has turned into a major bummer. Two days ago I cut my previously longer hair to a bob and got hyaloGYN. People don't realizing that taking off your breast is only part of this nightmare. I've been under a lot of stress since I was told my job is not secure, which is horrible to hear after coming back from all of this, but I'm hopeful that something better is going to happen. In any event, I am focusing on a future position that makes taking care of myself and my family a little easier and where my contributions are better appreciated.

I bought some temporary nipple tattoos to try out and the color match is laughable; i am pretty light, but it does make the foob look a little more like it belongs there so i am going to make an appointment with Vinnie pretty soon. I think for a uni I need an artist. Thanks Lala, I checked out your pics and you look great so that inspired me.

• lala1
    edited June 2015
    Options

Awesome, Fourminor!! Let us know how it goes!

And isn't it amazing how much better you feel when you start REALLY taking care of yourself?! I do love my yoga classes!!

• tress29
    edited July 2015
    Options

Can anyone tell me how long the exchange surgery usually takes? I'm getting the new foob and having a lift on the native side. My surgery is at noon and just curious when to expect to be released. My kids were out of town this weekend and was expecting them home tonight. If they aren't home to walk the dogs I'm going to kill their father

• lala1
    edited July 2015
    Options

My exchange with lift/augment of native side took a couple of hours. I went in about 7am, surgery at 8:30, awake and in recovery around 11 and leaving hospital around 1. I live an hour from hospital so all told about 7-8 hours. My PS did say that he had to try quite a few implants to get the symmetry he wanted so mine might have taken a little longer than some. Recovery waaaay easier than mx! Be prepared for anything but I think you'll be really surprised at how quickly you bounce back. I had my SIL come stay even though my DH was there as well. I wanted her for shower help and such. I ended up not really needing her so she left after 4 days. I could bath myself and even blow dry my own hair. Guess once you make it through the trials of drains and such everything else is a piece of cake!

• tress29
    edited July 2015
    Options

I was apparently a crazy woman yesterday, because their step sister, who they were staying the extra day with, called their dad. He was still in town, so he went back to get the kid who thought he was coming home! My SIL will be taking me to the hospital at 10:30, for surgery at noon. Today. Yikes, how did that day get here already. My son will hold down the pet side of things, and I'll just try to take it easy. Did I tell you I just bought and moved into a new house on June 30th?

• tress29
    edited July 2015
    Options

Ok, here's my update. Checked in at 10:30, signed a bunch of forms . By 11:30 I had my compression stockings and lovely gown on. IV in place. Surgery was at noon, and took about two hours. Since I spoke to the anesthesiologist about how long it took me to be coherent after the UMX, he agreed to try more gas and less IV anesthesia. Woke up much easier! Spent about an hour back in my "room" eating crackers and drinking water like crazy. Checked out and in the car by 4pm.

Resting until my prescriptions are ready to be picked up. Having some achy pain on the exchange side, don't feel anything yet on the lift side. Feels weird not to have the TE bump in the center of my chest!

Will update more later...

Theresa

• tjh
    tjh Member Posts: 272
    edited July 2015
    Options

I am scheduled for reconstruction August 12. I finished chemo today. My plan is to do implant in missing side, PS did lift of good side at the same time as MX, so I didn't have any pain from it. Percoset is great stuff. So my quandary is silicone or saline? And did you do an implant on the good side?

• lala1
    edited July 2015
    Options

I have a silicone implant on my mx side as well as a small silicone implant on my native side for symmetry.

• Carol62
    Carol62 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2015
    Options

Need advice - my PS would like to try fat grafting on my left breast since I had two unsuccessful implant surgeries. I'm afraid that this will be a failure also, and I am debating about giving up on reconstruction all together.

Has anyone had a similar experience? If you had fat grafting, are you happy with the results / was it successful / any complications?

TKS.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,048
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hi Carol, Welcome to the BCO community. We hope you will find support and information from others who have shared experiences. Please stay connected here and let everyone know how we can continue to provide support. The Mods

• Frostecat
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hi Carol, I was happy with the results of fat grafting, but I will say I had a scare with a lump from fat necrosis. Went to to the BS she ultrasound it and determined it was fat necrosis.

I do however have another lump that I have found, and am hoping and praying it is the same. See the BS on Friday. Cancer Sucks.