Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Unilateral mastectomy & reconstruction

Options

Comments

• Fourminor
    Fourminor Member Posts: 118
    edited April 2015
    Options

Isabel, your results sound just about like mine. In clothes no one can tell anything, obviously naked is not the same, but my real breast droops out of a bra--not terribly but Picasso woman is an awesome descript. However, the truth is I am not that comfortable out of a bra at all. The implant feels heavy to me behind my pectorals, achy, and this even bothers me in lying bed. I don't like the sensation at all. Not only that but two weeks ago I developed a ripple at the medial top of the foob--basically what would show in a shirt, which only appears when I take off my bra. As soon as I support it, it disappears. (And I have Allergan 410) I have to talk to my PS about this at my appointment in June, but I can see that there is no way I will ever not be wearing a bra. I sleep in soft stretchy ones at night and more supportive during the day. This to me is another crappy aspect of breast cancer. I am not comfortable in my own body enough to be naked. I thank myself for all the times I went braless, or topless on beaches when I was younger.

I heard a lot about not needing a bra again when i was looking at reconstruction options, but the truth is that is not the case for everyone. My breast surgeon said a lot of women feel like I do.

• lala1
    lala1 Member Posts: 974
    edited April 2015
    Options

Fourminor--I'm with you....I'll be wearing a bra for the rest of my life 24/7. I'm very symmetrical when naked with my lift, but the implant is just so heavy! It feel like it pulls on my muscle as well and is very uncomfortable without a bra. Compression has become my friend! I take VERY quick showers! I wear a soft bra with the hooks up the front to sleep in and still wear a wirefree during the day because underwires are painful. Not being able to go braless doesn't help with those intimate moments either!!

• isabelarcher
    isabelarcher Member Posts: 281
    edited April 2015
    Options

Fourminor, you might grow more comfortable over time. I've had Frankenboob for 15 months now, and I actually forget it's there most of the time. I had rippling for the first couple of months after the implant procedure (and that bothered me a lot), and it happens occasionally even now, but then it goes away. The thing is, every body is different, and we get different results with these "additions" to our bodies, but definitely talk to your PS because there may be something he/she can do. As for lifting the real one, I think even if I did it, I would still wear bras--esp. since I only have one nipple. My PS told me I wasn't a good candidate for nipple recon--he said I don't have enough fat. Hey, I'll take compliments anywhere I can get them, even in exam rooms with bizarrely uneven boobs.

• Mommato3
    Mommato3 Member Posts: 468
    edited May 2015
    Options

I had my exchange and reduction/lift this afternoon. I feel a little sore but mostly just tired from the anesthesia. The bra they put on me is really tight. I think that hurts my belly more than the surgery at this point. I'm nervous and anxious about seeing everything at my appointment Monday

• Sparkle2014
    Sparkle2014 Member Posts: 83
    edited May 2015
    Options

Mommato3, wow already online too - try and REST, i imagine you do want to "see" how it looks, i will be getting exchange and I think a lift (not sure yet on that part,,) in couple months - i was debating WHEN best to have the surgery - orig wanted to do it in May or June but then had lots difficult insurance stuff to deal with,,, was concerned the exchange and a LIFT would take a lot out of me as I already have entire right side shoulder joint and the MX area pain that I live with daily and use my Left side and arm for many - most things and want to allow time for proper healing so things TAKE and heal as best they can before going back to work as i work job that is non stop hands, arms and reaching and typing,,,

anyways now been reading more about the exchange and lifts and seems most people feel the implant is so heavy - i am used to this TE - even though hard as rock and very protruding - i do like that it stays in place and doesn't look rippled,,,,,i want to be able to wear cute dressy tank tops with spagetti straps and not worry about weird rippling,,,,, i know am lucky to be able to have reconstruction but i hope the implant - mentor 350cc or 375 cc is what he plans,,, i was a 33/34 C. hope isn't too heavy for my small frame and thin fair sensitive skin,,,,

what cc did you have implanted? i hope healing goes nicely for you,,, and no infections or issues, keep us posted, you must feel relieved over with too! one less thing to worry about now. :)

• Mommato3
    edited May 2015
    Options

Sparkle , I have 350cc Mentor Memoryshape (?) anatomical implant. I went smaller so I had to have the left side reduced and lifted. I feel pretty good today. I'm a little sore and don't move real fast. I just took some ibuprofen and it seems to work. My PS thought I would be a big B or little C I was a DD so this will be a big change for me.

• Sparkle2014
    edited May 2015
    Options

Mommato3 - hopefully you'll like being bit smaller on top, maybe easier to buy tops too! i was a 36C or 34c/D while ago when was about 10 lbs heavier and then about mid 30's lost about 8 lbs and seemed to all come off my chest area,,, went to 33/34 B/C and i like being smaller vs larger - definately easier to where more fitted tops and tank tops look better (just to me) everyone is unique and my point is that I hope you adjust to being smaller in a happy way,,,,of course you'll most likely wish you had your original chest - i think we all have that feeling!!! regardless of what size we all were,,,, it is a loss for sure,

they probably will turn out looking and feeling great! hope so,,, :)

• SuzyQ42
    SuzyQ42 Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2015
    Options

Hello all! I had my uni on 4/28 with TE. I haven't had any fills yet. I'm planning on a TRAM Flap with lift and augmentation on the natural breast. I have no idea what Im going to do about a nipple for the un-boob.

Has anyone here done the TRAM? I made the mistake of reading about complications and now I'm getting scared and thinking maybe I should just get the implant.

• Sparkle2014
    edited May 2015
    Options

i just read about these nipples for women who want convenience not surgery - fake ones called Pink Perfect prosthetic nipples - maybe consider that - i am thinking Tattoo of anchor on my non nipple implant side and i am WORRIED about having one side with nipple and one side with nothing!!!! i am 43, it is a lot of years to be ahead of me - i want to make good decisions,,,,

any advice?

• macb04
    macb04 Member Posts: 756
    edited May 2015
    Options

Also had uni mx. Had TE put in OVER my pectoral muscle just about 5 weeks ago. Had 5 times fat grafting done prior to that, but lost most of it from infections. Had 360cc's of saline put in over the past 4 weeks. Will eventually get 3D nipple tattoo with Vinnie Myers out of Maryland/New Orleans next spring. For now will get a fake nipple made for me from Custom DME, I think that is the name. They are out of Salt Lake City, Utah.

• Pie
    Pie Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2015
    Options

Wondering if anybody knows about shrinkage....I had a unilateral mastectomy with tram flap reconstruction at age 39. Now almost 16 years later my reconstructed righty has shrunk significantly, and my real lefty has succumbed to gravity and is heading south. C/D cup on one side, and A cup on the other. Does the shrinking continue indefinitely? If I have a reduction, I don't want to find I need another in 10 years.

• Pie
    edited May 2015
    Options

go 'hawks!

• isabelarcher
    edited May 2015
    Options

Pie, I can't answer your question about shrinkage because I had implant recon...but I just want to post congratulations on your 16 years of thriving after a stage IIIc diagnosis. That is spectacular.

• Mommato3
    edited May 2015
    Options

Pie, I can't comment either about shrinkage because I had a skin sparing MX just last year. BUT I also want to say Congrats on 16 years!! Not only stage III but Her2+ too. I worry sometimes about the Her2 part so I love when I see women that are 10+ years past diagnosis.

• Pie
    edited May 2015
    Options

thanks to both of you

• momwriter
    momwriter Member Posts: 276
    edited May 2015
    Options

Hi all-

Pie - again, congrats on 16 years! Like others, didn't have that surgery. Would be interested to hear what a PS would say.

Update- I'm just about 6 weeks out of my exchange and lift. I did some yoga at home today including a short down dog which felt good- no pulling on pec muscle. My implant is so much more manageable than my TE- it's smaller (fewer cc's actually), not as hard, and I think my ROM in my arm might actually improve. I haven't noticed any rippling. While my lift has improved the droopy side it is still droopier au naturel. However in my slightly padded non-underwire 10 year old gap bra, I look totally even. No pain at all.

I'm so glad to have this behind me and congrats to Thinkpos and Momma!

• Sparkle2014
    edited May 2015
    Options

Momwriter - thanks for your update - happy that you feel good! maybe you can comment on do you feel the LIFT actually is worth it - i ask as my breasts in a BRA would look pretty symetrical - it is the naked part that the implant - once get surgery - will look perky and no nipple & my left natural side will have a severe drope and a nipple -

i really WISH in hindsight I had had left removed last year as precaution - that is what I would do differently now knowing wha I know from the Unilateral point view - that way both would most likely match...

but now to think of a Mastectomy on Left and drains and recovery and fills with TE and then having 3rd surgery as a definate to get implant in left TOO - at this point, I am ready to get this behind me,,, so to stir the pot when my first decision was just get one removed - the cancerous one (my Right),,,

i just really do not like the idea of doing surgery on my left and moving the nipple when I won't have a nipple on right BUT I ALSO don't like idea living with a severely droopy left breast and one implant that sits a lot higher - i have very thin skin - sensitive skin and very delicate and fragile chest skin - am fair but had burned a lot in sunshine from when was lil toddler - always was in sun no sunscreen and burned - and really hate surgery - hate being in operating area or any Doctor stuff - gives me major anxiety,,, so anyone out there who has had a lift on one side - please SHARE your results - hoping to hear more from women with one implant and one natural lift and one nipple and one no nipple final result (maybe tatoo instead).. thanks

and PIE - that is great 16 years - you are inspiring and Congratulations - that is fantastic to hear!!!

thank you all, :)

• angelia50
    angelia50 Member Posts: 168
    edited May 2015
    Options

Sparkle, I had a lift and I'm glad I did. I really wasn't sold on the idea and kept telling my doctor I just didn't see causing pain on that side but he said he couldn't make a new one look like a 58 year old one. So, I finally agreed and I'm glad I did. I had it done at the same time as my exchange. It wasn't painful at all. As for droopy, I do know the first time I looked down and it was just right there looking back, it was just weird. When I had my expander, it sat up higher than my natural side and that drove me crazy. I could only pull that side up so far and I worried the implant would be higher, so I had the lift and they do match now. I agree with you, in hindsight, knowing what I know now, I would have had a double mastectomy but at the time, I just could not bear the thought of the one side let alone both. Now, I"ll have to dread that mammogram every 6 months and likely being called back due to scar tissue. Praying to not ever have to have any surgery again.

• lala1
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Sparkle--I had a lift/augment for symmetry and am 100% thrilled with my results! I was pretty even in a bra but very very uneven naked. I was a little hesitant to get even more surgery but it was actually one of the easiest surgeries I had. In and out in about 5 hours and back home resting comfortably. I was back to driving and running errands in about 6 days. Back to the gym in a week and started lifting light weights again around 2 weeks. I'd do the the surgery again in a heartbeat! And I feel the same way about my nip recon my PS did and my "Vinnie" nip tattoo!!
  • Fourminor
    Fourminor Member Posts: 118
    edited May 2015
    Options

I didn't do the lift and I have had the thought that if I wanted a real match I would have had to have both breasts removed, although I am still glad I didn't. (My PS's words of wisdom to me was that the worst reason to have a bilateral mastectomy was for symmetry because that's not a guarantee and if you have some kind of complication and your only real reason was that, you may be devasted.)

For me as I've said, the reality is the implant is not that comfortable without some kind of support, even when I am sleeping. It may be because he was trying to match to my 32 DD on the right--which he actually did, I am still the exact same size--but a Natrelle FF 525 is not a small implant. So since I'm naked basically when i take a shower only and in a bra I look matched, its not a big deal. I was surprised to find i feel this way as many say they never wear a bra again. But I'm with Angelia50---please god let that be my last surgery!!

• isabelarcher
    edited May 2015
    Options

For me (uni, implant, no nipple on one side; natural, no lift on other side) this is not just about looks but about feeling (sensation). As far as the cancer diagnosis, there was no reason for me to have a bmx, and I am happy to have the one breast (for as long as I can keep it!)--it's nice to still feel like me on one side. If bmx had been recommended for medical reasons, I of course would have done it in a heartbeat. You do what you gotta do to get rid of stupid cancer. As every day goes by I find symmetry less important. I did have thoughts of still doing the lift--which is why I got on this forum--but now I'm back to just accepting that this is how things will stay, and it works for me. Every woman approaches this differently, as this forum certainly shows!

• momwriter
    momwriter Member Posts: 276
    edited May 2015
    Options

Hi Sparkle,

I feel the lift was worth it for me.

I didn't have augment, so it was as minimal a surgery as it could be. To be clear- it is not even. It is still droopier- he did what he could without moving anything around. But it is not as badly droopy. And much easier to look even with a bra. So happy about that. Now I can go bra shopping for real.

As for BMX, my TE arm suffered from the TE surgery and the ALND. I don't have lymphadema but I do have a little compromised ROM and it doesn't feel right-( it probably mostly is a result of that ALND which I'm not sure I should have had since they didn't find anything.) So while I would be happy to be symmetrical, I really don't wish I had a BMX and risk being uncomfortable on both sides.

.- though it would be nice a)to be symmetrical b)not worry that there's cancer lurking that they can't find because imagining didn't find it before.

Good luck with your decision. I think go with your gut. If you really don't want a lift, don't do it. If you really want to be more even, and you have an awesome PS, go for it. I was doubtful right up to the day of surgery. If it weren't for these boards, I wouldn't have done it. So I completely get your ambivalence. (and I'm so not a plastic surgery gal- I'm turning 50 and have just started wearing makeup, had my first pedicure- you get the picture!)

• happynewyorker
    happynewyorker Member Posts: 12
    edited May 2015
    Options

i had my reconstructive surgery on May 15, 2015.  I also had a lift on my left breast.  One Tuesday, May 19,2015, i had the drainage from my left breast removed and have the right breast.  Because I had the drainage from my mastectomy on February 19, 2015, I had problems with one drainage.  because I had the drainage for over 3 months and 1 day, I developed what is called "red breast".  It's infection caused by the drainage with the breast expander.  I can say it's not good to have, I ended with purple and redish coloring under the breast expander breast which I started calling my football.  Because it looked like a football and felt like a basketball.  Apprently a flap from the mash was off, I keep having drainage problems. 

I was able to shower after my May 19th doctor's visit for 10 minutes.  I finally took my shower yesterday, May 21, 2015.  My left breast that I had the lift is swollen and will be for about 3 months.  With a large stitch where the nipple was removed and replaced.  My right breast where they removed the breast expander, will need touch ups if I decided I want it.  I may not at this point, in my life.  my mentor breast implant is 800ml, the largest and it looks still like the football I use to have when it was with the breast expander. 

All I can say is that before my shower I took a look.  Yikes!! If I had know I wouldn't have had the expander and would have kept my left breast.  But, I can't change the past. 

so, my question is do I wear the tight bra for the next 3 months?  My doctor has recommended the Geni bra.  But the surgical bra was tight and snug.

• angelia50
    angelia50 Member Posts: 168
    edited May 2015
    Options

I'm sorry to hear you have had such problems. I had no swelling in the lift breast and very little pain with any of the incisions. I didn't have any drains on the exchange side or the lift side. Did you have rads?

• happynewyorker
    happynewyorker Member Posts: 12
    edited May 2015
    Options

no, no rads. I took a picture of my new breasts and the left one that received the lift, is so flat and swollen I can only wait the 3 months for the swelling to go down to see how it looks. Sensitive to touch.  The right breast that had the mastectomy with 95% of my breast removed.  Well, I hope it reshapes itself. 

I read so much positive from other women I was surprised that no one had what I have. with the swelling.  But, we are all different with different bodies and shapes.  I think it's great!!

But this is the new me.  I can only move forward and be positive like I have through out my breast cancer ordeal. I'm turning 52 in July, and I'm happy to say I'm cancer free.  Yippee!!

• Frostecat
    Frostecat Member Posts: 223
    edited May 2015
    Options

Sparkle,

"i really WISH in hindsight I had had left removed last year as precaution - that is what I would do differently now knowing wha I know from the Unilateral point view - that way both would most likely match..."

Will you have these same regrets if you don't have the lift? Wishing you had gone through with it at the time?

Just sayin'

• cheesequake
    cheesequake Member Posts: 68
    edited May 2015
    Options

Forgive me if this question has already been answered: for those of you who have only done uni but had some "work" done on the healthy breast (be it lift, reduction, etc) for matching purposes, do you maintain feeling in the healthy breast? Thank you!

• islandmom
    islandmom Member Posts: 131
    edited May 2015
    Options

Cheesequake; It depends how much you have done. In my case, I had really saggy breasts, the lift was very extensive. I remember seeing a metal staple holding everything together, which was later removed. Anyway, I did loose some sensation, not at all like the mastectomy side, but feeling is not as intense. However, many ladies retain complete sensation and some are even more sensitive afterwards.

I am completely happy having gone the uni route. I found that the body is an incredible thing. I have developed other "sensitivities" that make up for what I lost on the breast. I will say that my romantic life has not suffered, if anything it has improved. However, keep in mind that it has been 4.5 years since being diagnosed.

• isabelarcher
    edited May 2015
    Options

Just want to reply to what Islandmom said, even though I didn't have surgery on my healthy breast (just recon on the one side--implant). I also gained new "sensitivities," specifically around the Frankenboob--under it and to the side. I also agree with what you said about post-mast romantic life--it has not suffered and has actually gotten better. (Partly I think this is the new perspective one gets after the diagnosis, that ordinary, everyday life is precious and one should savor every day.)

• lala1
    edited May 2015
    Options

I had a lift/augment on my native side and lost no feeling at all. Other than a faint scar around the areola, I'd barely remember I had it done. And it was really easy to recover from. I'm 100% happy I did it.