Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Looking for Her2 Positive survivor stories

Comments

• zjrosenthal
    zjrosenthal Member Posts: 1,541
    edited August 2017

Just had my third mamo after treatment. 3 yrs with no evidence of disease. God is good. Love, Jean

• rozem
    rozem Member Posts: 749
    edited August 2017

Hi her2 ladies

Checking in...6 years this month for me !

I remember scanning this site for positive stories and promised myself I would share mine if I got through this mess ok,

keep strong! It's a tough road but you will get through and before you know it you will be posting your own positive storie

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,797
    edited August 2017

Checking in at 6.5 years. Knock on wood. If someone asks if I am doing ok, I just say, I don't know that I'm not so all good. I still have issues with the not knowing for sure what's going on, so will continue to be vigilant about as much as possible. But, loving life, travelling and my ten month old grandson!

• tara17
    tara17 Member Posts: 150
    edited August 2017

thank you ladies for posting - it really means so so much for those of us who are actively facing this. This forum really saved my sanity . I cannot wait to be one of those ladies who gives back in ten , twenty and so on years from now !! .

• sweetkooki77
    sweetkooki77 Member Posts: 9
    edited August 2017

Thank you so much ladies for the positive stories, we all need encouragement and hope, I recently was diagnosed with breast cancer, just before I turned 30 , I had the worst birthday ever 😬 I have a 5 years old daughter , also Her2 positive , and ER-/PR- ( have ATM Gene) they say it raises the percentage of getting cancer in my age by 10% , my oncologist put me on neoadjuvent treatment, I have now last round of AC and will start Taxol and herception and Parjeta in three weeks. Mine is multicentric and Her 2 so I felt very bad about it that it is one of the worst types but there is still hope, and it pushes me to go on when I read these positive stories. And it will help also if you share weather you changed the diet you are following, I cut sugar , lower carbs, no dairy and red meat now and added more veggies and fruits. I hope for the best , but I know i will be long hard trip

• moodyblues
    moodyblues Member Posts: 393
    edited August 2017

Thank you to everyone posting the positive and encouraging posts!  I was dx'd on Feb 22, 2017 and all I heard was reoccurrence, reoccurrence, reoccurrence--it was overwhelming to say the least!  Being triple positive and reading up on it, I thought it was the beginning of the end.  Thank you for posting and letting us know of your success stories and life beyond BC.  

For all of you Triple Positives that are 5 years and beyond, what have you consistently done differently with your nutrition/diet since your dx? 

Melanie

• Fitz33
    Fitz33 Member Posts: 123
    edited August 2017

7 years since diagnosis. I never miss taking my night time Arimidex. I live with ant side effects and can't complain since I am, after all, living, thanks to my great doctors and follow-up care

• Alicethecat2
    Alicethecat2 Member Posts: 27
    edited September 2017

Hello from a five-year HER2+ survivor. Thank you Dr Slamon and the team for Herceptin.

Good luck to everyone.

Alice

• cowgirl13
    cowgirl13 Member Posts: 782
    edited September 2017

I'm 8 years out and life is good. I didn't think so at the beginning but this is all doable. You are in my prayers and you will get through this.

• mistyeyes
    mistyeyes Member Posts: 576
    edited September 2017

I am so happy to read these. Thank-you so much for taking the time to post, it really does help. Especially right now for me, because I have been doing a lot of "stinkin thinkin" and making myself a crazy nervous wreck. Reading these calmed me down and helped me to look forward more positively.

• moodyblues
    edited September 2017

Fitz, Alice and Cowgirl thank you for posting and giving us encouragement!!!!!!!!

Mistyeyes, I go there sometimes too....  Darn stinkin' thinkin' times " 

• moody001
    moody001 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2017
    Love to hear the survival stories! Gives me hope. I am HER2+ (Positive Breast Cancer. I have had 12 treatments of Taxol, Projeta,and Herceptin every three weeks. Am now faced with surgery. My last MRI found no evidence of cancer in my right breast of in the two lymph nodes that had looked suspicious. I was overjoyed and was pleased when my surgeon said he would do a simple mastectomy testing the sentinel node and removing maybe three nodes. Then my oncologist said he would instruct the surgeon to remove all nodes and to do a radical mastectomy. I am inclined to ask for a second opinion and am scared to death especially when I learned what was involved in a radical mastectomy. Any input would be greatly appreciated! I am 76 years old and play the piano and would like to continue. I am still playing in spite of nephropathy I acquired thanks to chemo. He then plans to keep me on herceptin and then do radiology. That sounds reasonable but not the radical mastectomy. Carolyn C.
  • Alicethecat2
    Alicethecat2 Member Posts: 27
    edited September 2017

Hello Cowgirl, Misty Eyes and anyone dealing with Her2+, thank you for your replies. My friend is triple positive and nine years out. I am five years out (see stats). There are a lot of us around.

Best wishes

Alice

• cowgirl13
    cowgirl13 Member Posts: 782
    edited September 2017

Carolyn, definitely get a second opinion from another oncologist. I would also speak to your breast surgeon about the onc's opinion. Keep us posted. Thinking of you and please keep us posted.

• moodyblues
    edited September 2017

Moody001.  This is a beg decision, if you are unsure and having mixed feelings, get a second opinion.  I agree with cowgirl.

Melanie

• raleighgirl
    raleighgirl Member Posts: 56
    edited September 2017

Moody001,

Your story sounds so much like mine. I also had a breast MRI post chemo which also showed no cancer remaining in the breast or two lymph nodes that had been positive. My first surgeon wanted to do an axillary dissection. I went for a second opinion at MSK and the surgeon did a clinical exam and told me he felt the best option was first do the sentinel node during surgery and decide whether or not to go forward with the axillary dissection based on pathology which would be sent out during the surgery. I got so lucky and had a complete response so no axillary dissection was necessary. .

Getting a second opinion for myself was pivotal. I am so happy I did. I don't think it would hurt for you to get another opinion as well!

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611
    edited September 2017

Moody001......I'm a Her+ survivor since 2005

I had a lumpectomy then.......

When I was diagnosed again it was a new primary THIS TIME it was HER-

You can PM me if you have any specific questions

Good luck to you Hugs

Sheila

• hlya
    hlya Member Posts: 29
    edited September 2017

My friend was dx 8 years ago with Her2 postive with 2+ nodes involved, she had the problem breast removed. She's been quite well since then and her life is almost back to normal now.

• moodyblues
    edited September 2017

Hyla. 8 years...awesome!

• Kattis894
    Kattis894 Member Posts: 150
    edited September 2017

Love this thread! I am only one year out still NED but come here to check. If this website and myself are still going after 8 years I promise I will post here as well.

• mistyeyes
    edited September 2017

Katties894- I am currently taking Herceptin. In a year I want to post and I will come back

in 8 years and read your post!

• maryannecb
    maryannecb Member Posts: 74
    edited September 2017

Today is 12 years from my diagnosis. Living large and still dancing with NED. Fists up!

• katykaty
    katykaty Member Posts: 18
    edited September 2017

congratulations maryann!!! I so hope to follow in your footsteps xx

• mistyeyes
    edited September 2017

Good for you Maryann - glad you posted!!! Fist Bump!

• Corinne6
    Corinne6 Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2017

I'm a nine yr Herceptin survivor. Happy with life. Had Her2 and Er+, four lymph nodes were involved. Thanking the Lord for his goodness. Joined www.rowstrong.org in 2011. It's been a great source of encouragement and exercise.

• moodyblues
    edited September 2017

Maryann and Corinne.  Woo Hoo!  Congratulations!  This gives me soooo much hope!

• Kattis894
    Kattis894 Member Posts: 150
    edited September 2017

Mistyeyes I am looking forward to read your post in a year..:) ...congrats and thank you all that are posting...positivity is a good thing...

• mktoc92315
    mktoc92315 Member Posts: 13
    edited September 2017

Today is my 2 year cancerversary. Thankful to be alive and kicking and hope to have many more years to come. I still think about it every day due to lingering side effects, but am hopeful for the future!

• beach2beach
    beach2beach Member Posts: 246
    edited September 2017

My sis is 9 years out with IBC and HER2+.

• moodyblues
    edited September 2017

Thank you for sharing MKTOC and Beach2beach (for sharing about your sister), I love hearing these stories.  I look every day at this thread for more stories as it encourages me so much!

Melanie