Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Looking for Her2 Positive survivor stories

Comments

• moodyblues
    moodyblues Member Posts: 393
    edited December 2017

Nez_khot, I had the same as you, left MX and then 6 chemo/Herceptin and now the Herceptin alone for 6 cycles. It is do-able. I too was wary of the chemo, afraid of the SE's and was wondering what my life was going to be like during and after chemo. It is cumulative and after the first chemo I had taste bud issues and brain fog (lack of concentration etc). IF they give you the Neulasta on body injector, take Claritin as it helps tremendously with body/bone ache and pain (take it several days before and after the Neulasta). You WILL get through it! I did, you can. Take it easy on yourself and drink, drink, drink as often as you can to flush out the chemicals. When you get to the Herceptin alone it is a breeeeeze!

You will do this......! Best wishes.

Melanie

• nez_khot
    nez_khot Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2017

Thank you for encouraging words !

• honeybair
    honeybair Member Posts: 234
    edited January 2018

I was diagnosed in December of 2012 and am happy to be doing well. The most noticeable physical changes for me have been marked sensitivity to cold both inside and outdoors. I wear long sleeves year round and always a sweater or denim shirt in cold air conditioning. Also, foot and leg cramping wile sleeping at night were major problems for me until I learned about vastly increasing my water intake each day. Neither my oncologist nor my nurse practitioner knew the solution to this problem. But a neighbor who also had lung cancer at the same time as I was being treated shared this knowledge with me. She died during the summer, but her daughter who now lives in her mother's home shared with me that she used to be an oncology nurse and and told her mother about the need for more fluid intake.

Best of all though is my hair texture change. It has the perfect wave kick to it now whereas before it was straight. I was so hoping for a color change to silver, but it is still drab brown which my husband seems to love.

Wishing all survivors here a very healthy 2018. I am so grateful for all the treatments that enable me to still be alive and the wonderful caregivers who cared for me in my journey back to health.

• moodyblues
    edited January 2018

Honeybair,  Thank you for taking the time out to share your story with us.  My hair has so much silver in it, it also has a lot of dark brown in it too, I used to be light brown headed.  I am not sure if I will get my natural wavy hair back or not.  We shall see!  

Here's to a wonderful 2018!

Melanie

• honeybair
    edited January 2018

Thanks, moodyblues, here's to a wonderful upcoming year for you too.

• mistyeyes
    mistyeyes Member Posts: 576
    edited January 2018

I love reading this topic, I always feel lighthearted and hopeful after. So glad that all of you have stopped back in to share.

• CoastalXPat
    CoastalXPat Member Posts: 33
    edited January 2018

Hi All, just had my mammo today, 4 years after my dx and almost 3 years after the end of herceptin, and it was clean, hooray!

I also am very afraid of recurrence, I think it's normal. Each year when I get the mammo I'm tense and nervous, but so far so good.

To Nez, I understand how you feel about chemo. I'll be honest it's no walk in the park but as the others say, it is do-able. And after it's done and you've mostly recovered, you have the knowledge (&hopefully confidence) of much improved odds. I personally had a rough go of the treatments, but I'm finding that with time, it's becoming more and more a thing of the past. Just gotta finish the tamox!

Meanwhile, here's warmest wishes to everyone out there going through it now -

• moodyblues
    edited January 2018

Coastal   My diagnostic mammo is scheduled for February, not sure how I will deal with that day when it comes but, it has to be done.  

4 years since dx is awesome, wishing you a lifetime of being cancer free!

Melanie

• jo6359
    jo6359 Member Posts: 1,993
    edited January 2018

I am nervous about my pending masectomy and postop chemo. I'm also keeping my fingers crossed that my lymph nodes will be cancer free. I'm feeling relieved there is a treatment plan in place. Your story was very encouraging.

• zjrosenthal
    zjrosenthal Member Posts: 1,541
    edited January 2018

Jo, you are on my calendar to pray for your surgery on the 29th. Love, Jean

• moodyblues
    edited January 2018

Jo. So sorry that you had to join our crew.... Keeping it real, it is a lot to think about but, you can do this! Praying for a successful surgery with negative lymph nodes. Keep us updated on your progress and feel free to ask questions.

Melanie

• honeybair
    edited January 2018

Jo, glad you came here for positive survivor stories. Your diagnosis appears to be similar to mine pertaining to your upcoming surgery. II too had a tumor in my axillary area. Mammogram failed to find my tumor. It was found by my surgeon during physical examination of me and the reason that I was under his care was because 12 years previously he had performed a lumpectomy on me. My second cancer came back in the same breast and I truly believe now that was because I refused to take tamoxifen for five years as was suggested. Nevertheless, I am well five years out, and according to my oncologist, will be taken off letrozole in May of this year.

All of us who who walked the path now before you have experienced the fear and dread that you are feeling. I encourage you to come to this website regularly. You will find much hope, encouragement and love here as well as a wealth of information shared by some of the brilliant women who post here. I wish you well in both your surgery and chemo. Modern medicine can and has worked miracles for many of us. I will also share with you that prayers. both mine and that of others greatly encouraged me and enabled me to stay the course.

Carol

• jo6359
    edited January 2018

I guess I was fortunate that both tumors were found within two weeks of one another in the same breast. I am so grateful for all the support that I have received. For the most part I'm doing okay. Nights are the worst for me. This forum helps to keep me grounded. Thank you so much for your kind words. Best of luck to you

• jo6359
    edited January 2018

thank you so much for your kind words. I hope you continue to thrive with your treatment.

• jo6359
    edited January 2018

Jean, Thank You. Your kind words are encouraging.

• jo6359
    edited January 2018

Great News. Celebrate.

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited January 2018

13 years triple + Stage 11

• jo6359
    edited January 2018

One of my favorite quotes.Thanks for the memory jog

• suemed8749
    suemed8749 Member Posts: 210
    edited January 2018

Tomorrow marks 10 years since my diagnosis of ER-/PR-/Her2+ breast cancer. Two tumors and extensive DCIS eventually led to a unilateral mastectomy (only the larger tumor showed up on MRI - thankfully, unclear margins led to a second lumpectomy which discovered the second invasive tumor.) 6 Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin, then Herceptin every 3 weeks for a year. Participation in the Neratinib clinical trial.

And here I am, 10 years later - and two granddaughters whom I adore, two daughters' weddings, several high school and college graduations, my retirement from 36 years of teaching and many, many more precious moments. I just got back from a 3 1/2 mile walk where I did, literally, stop to smell the roses (and daffodils).

I wish everyone who comes here looking for hope finds the inspiration and strength to carry on. Everyone's story is unique, but we all have so much in common. Wishing you all well!

• jo6359
    edited January 2018

Wow. Thanks for sharing. As some of us begin our journey with cancer it is very inspiring to hear such a wonderful story.

• Pipandor
    Pipandor Member Posts: 130
    edited January 2018

I am two years out from surgery, and just got the results of my second mammogram. All clear.

Thanks Suemed for coming back to share the good news. Your posts gave me comfort when I first discovered this site, and they still do.

• moodyblues
    edited January 2018

Soccermom, 13 years is wonderful! Thanks for stopping by to encourage us!

• moodyblues
    edited January 2018

Suemed, thank you for sharing your story, the milestones during the ten years and especially for inspiring us. You make us believe that this too can be us. Here's to many more years!

• moodyblues
    edited January 2018

Pipandor. Glad to hest your mammogram was clear. Mine comes up next month. Two years is great news, believing for NED FOR many more!

• jo6359
    edited January 2018

I have spoken to several her2 positive women. All three of these women are more than 10 years plus ( 15 and 20 year plus for the other 2 ) with surviving post masectomies. All had chemo. They have not only survived they have thrived. So it does happen. I was very inspired by their stories. And they were kind enough to share their stories with me through a support group. We have plenty to look forward to.

• moodyblues
    edited January 2018

Jo6359.  Thanks for sharing this with us, it means so much to hear all of these success stories.  It offers us hope and also helps to quell those negative feelings and feelings of fear that come up when we least expect them.  

• lkc
    lkc Member Posts: 182
    edited January 2018
    I am now just past 12.5 years of a nasty stage IIIC HER 2 pos BC, 12 pos nodes, lymph/ vascular invasion , and just about every other bad prognosticator.
    Such sad faces from sooooo many back then.
    I am well , happy as a clam and grateful every day.

You all can do it!
  • mistyeyes
    mistyeyes Member Posts: 576
    edited January 2018

Love reading these!  lkc you are a miracle and a beautiful story for us.  I have three more Herceptin treatments to go then I do that new pill that they have for HER + ;  Nerlynx I think is the name.

• jo6359
    edited January 2018

moodyblues- it helps me to hear these suevival stories.

Ikc-Thanks for sharing your story.

• katykaty
    katykaty Member Posts: 18
    edited January 2018

lkc - every time you post my heart feels a little lighter. May you have many many more years to come