Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Looking for Her2 Positive survivor stories

Comments

• zjrosenthal
    zjrosenthal Member Posts: 1,541
    edited December 2017

Thanks lkc, you hve me hope as I had many positive lymph nodes also. Love, Jean

• moodyblues
    moodyblues Member Posts: 393
    edited December 2017

lkc  I like your words 'gratitude' 'belly laughs' and a bit of wine.  Thanks so much for your encouragement!  We need to hear these stories of living beyond cancer over and over.  Praying for a lifetime in remission for you!

Melanie

• katykaty
    katykaty Member Posts: 18
    edited December 2017

Lkc - am 11.5 years behind you. And hopefully following your happy trail...thanks for the inspiration

• moodyblues
    edited December 2017

katykaty.  We hope that for you too!  For me and for all of us 2017 newbies! (2016, 15,14,13,12,11............)

:)

• kayfh
    kayfh Member Posts: 79
    edited December 2017

I was diagnosed at Stage IV with mets to my liver. ER positive Her2+ in March 2009. I had docetaxol and herceptin and then herceptin and letrozole. And then just herceptin. And then nothing... as of December 2015.

I was NED by December 2009 and today I am still NED.

My oncologist, lovely person that she is, has finally agreed that we might consider using the word cured when I am 10 years out from diagnosis, and start to consider the risks inherent to frequent ct scans vs risk of recurrence. It took a long time for her to come to this place. I think I was there in 2014. As grateful as I am to have had herceptin, I am equally grateful to not have to devote the time and dealing with side effects every three weeks.

For those of you at an earlier stage: do the treatment, and don't worry about the future so much. That worry will only suck the joy out of today, and won't change tomorrow.

• katykaty
    katykaty Member Posts: 18
    edited December 2017

My goodness Kay - your story is amazing! I am going to try to take your advice and enjoy more than worry. Thank you

• moodyblues
    edited December 2017

Kay, thank you for your words of encouragement.  NED since 12/2009 is awesome!

• tara17
    tara17 Member Posts: 150
    edited December 2017

Kay —i Love your words. You are an inspiration and you are a true joy for takign the time to share your story and to encourage others!

Love and hugs to you

Tara

• mistyeyes
    mistyeyes Member Posts: 576
    edited December 2017

Kay, thank you for sharing.  

• LisaH
    LisaH Member Posts: 16
    edited December 2017

Ummm, moderators..........I seriously need a "LIKE" button for this ^^^^^

Congrats Kay!!!

• LisaH
    LisaH Member Posts: 16
    edited December 2017

Hello Ladies!!! Thought I'd stop in and say hi.

15 years ago today, I sat in the chemo chair for the first time. I had surgery then 4AC and 5 years tamoxifen. The oncology community was not using Herceptin in stage 1 patients at the time.

It seems like an eternity ago, but yet, like yesterday.

Take each day as it comes. In the beginning it's one day at a time, then a week or two at a time. Before you know it, 15 years will have passed! :)

• mistyeyes
    edited December 2017

LisaH - thanks for the hope that you have shared.

• moodyblues
    edited December 2017

Lisa....thanks for sharing your story with us and your encouragement! I love hearing the success stories!

• Abby4G
    Abby4G Member Posts: 6
    edited December 2017
    1. Am just a few weeks from my 40th birthday. Was diagnosed last week with BC. My doc told me this morning that it's her2+. Have been here since morning reading all about it and truly scared. Am undergoing mastectomy next week then treatment starts. Already have a problem with my heart and wondering how this is going to be. Praying earnestly that God helps me through this. Reading your stories gives me hope that it shall be well. Thanks all for inspiring stories.

Abby

• Abby4G
    Abby4G Member Posts: 6
    edited December 2017

Thanks Kay. Wow! You just gave me so much hope. God bless you for sharing. Am inspired

• moodyblues
    edited December 2017

Abby4g.  It is scary when your first diagnosed, you are not alone in this.  Know that you are at a good place to glean information from others who are going through the same thing.  The triple positive forum is a good place to get encouragement and advice too.  Sorry that you have to be here.

• Mgriffiths12
    Mgriffiths12 Member Posts: 8
    edited December 2017

I don’t personally have her2. But I came here to share my friends story who does.

She is 17 years no evidence of disease, following secondaries in her liver.

She attributes this to diet, exercise and positive mental attitude.

• Mgriffiths12
    Mgriffiths12 Member Posts: 8
    edited December 2017

my friend is 17 years out from liver mets, her2 on and off all that time

• moodyblues
    edited December 2017

Mgriffiths, 17 years, awesome.  Thanks for sharing.

• mcraig
    mcraig Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2017

Estrogen respecter positive Lobular breast cancer, very slow growing they tell me...? I opted for double mastectomy and 5 years of Letrozole as my margins and lymph nodes were all clear. Thank GOD. I am closing in on 4 years on this medication. The letrozole make me feel so strange, almost a disconnect feeling. I just turned 60 and was wondering if anyone has heard of taking a reduced dose or taking it every other day. Any feedback is appreciated.

• moodyblues
    edited December 2017

mcraig.  I can't answer that for you, I think there is a Letrozole (Femara) thread on here, they may able to help you with that.  Congrats on 4 years!

• TriciaK
    TriciaK Member Posts: 124
    edited December 2017

I realize this is an old post but thought it may help someone newly dx to know I'm twelve years out now and doing well. I was highly triple pos with IDC and three nodes positive. Herceptin had just been approved for early stage bc the week before I was dx so I'm grateful for that and very grateful to be here still.

• Dennyj
    Dennyj Member Posts: 84
    edited December 2017

I love reading all of the positive posts....as scary as this all can be, it makes me hopeful when I see the posts from people 5, 10+ years out. I have made a promise to myself that if I am here that many years out that I will post so someone can feel the same hope I do. Thank you for bringing some calm, hope, and peace to my mind.

• mistyeyes
    edited December 2017

Tricia thanks for posting.  It gives me lots of hope to read these.  

• moodyblues
    edited December 2017

Tricia Thanks for stopping by and sharing your story. How exciting it is for us newbies to hear the success stories!

• TriciaK
    edited December 2017

Thank you ladies and glad it helped a little.I remember having a bone mets scare about eight years ago and the ladies here were a wonderful support. I'm grateful for their support and don't post as much now but wanted to share my own story so far and wish you all well and just take one day at a time and you will get to the end of this. xx

• TriciaK
    edited December 2017

Thank you Denny, and I'm sure you'll pay it forward one day! xx

• TriciaK
    edited December 2017

Thanks Mistyeyes and good luck with the rest of your tx, you'll get there!

• nez_khot
    nez_khot Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2017

Hello Kayfh,

Glad to know you are 9 years out...May you have many many more years filled with health and happiness.

I am new here, recently diagnosed with Triple positive stage 2 B breast cancer.

Had left breast mastectomy done last Wednesday.

my oncologists has quite a aggressive plan ahead for an entire year which includes 6 cycles of chemo with herceptine and then 6 cycles of herceptine all 3 weeks apart.

I am unsure of treatment because I spoke to lot of people who did none of these with similar diagnosis and just alternate therapies worked for them.

While I am open to both alternate and convenional I am for sure very scared of chemo and life after it, have not been able to make a firm decision for chemo because of known side effects and stuff.

How has been your experience dealing with chemo, herceptine and side effects ?

• Pipandor
    Pipandor Member Posts: 130
    edited January 2018

Welcome Nez Khot. I had the same treatment as you, except that I had a lumpectomy and radiation, and I was stage 1. Because HER2 is agressive, systemic therapy is often recommended for early stages and now there a new drug (neratinib) that extends the protection for hormone positive HER2 like you.

I will be one year out from the end of Herceptin in March 2018. I iced my hands and feet during the taxane infusions and started walking every day. I celebrated milestones and was fortunate enough not to have to work out of the house. I worry about recurrence so I was happy to receive systemic treatment, and found it quite doable. The side effets of chemo and herceptin, that lasted a little over a year, are gone and I feel well.

You'll find support and advice here and women here who are thriving after treatment. Herceptin has been a real game changer and oncologists think it works better in combination with a taxane.