Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Cats, cats, cats

Options

Comments

• brutersmom
    brutersmom Member Posts: 887
    edited September 2023
    Options

Wren44, my Mama cat adopted my second kitten and taught here every thing she knows in kitty behavior. Every now and then I see her remind them that she is the mother. Sadly Mama is scared of humans. That is sad because she is a very gentle cat un like Rocky Road and Marbles who are very feisty.

• petite1
    petite1 Member Posts: 2,191
    Options

After vacation, I am going to look for a friend for Midnight Louie. He became more of an Alpha when he turned 6, but he is skittish with most humans. He loves me and the woman that helps me. She will be cat sitting him.

• brutersmom
    Options

So last Saturday I came down with bad sinus pressure. Thought it was the weather but it didn't get better after the weather change. My Dr. Couldn't see me until this past Thursday so I spent this past Monday driving from urgent care to Urgent Care trying to find one with less than a three hour wait and having to wait in my car. Finally got put on antibiotics as a precaution due to ibrance and low neutrophils.

Sunday my cat started drooling. Vet didn't have any appointment until this past Thursday but agreed to a drop off appointment and would fit him in when he could on Tuesday. Poor boy has several broken teeth and gum and jaw damage. He is at least 13 and was a stray that got in my car so I brought him home. He will probably be toothless cat after his surgery on the 26th. The dog my husband brought home ate the cat food when my back was turned and spent all day Wednesday with the runs. Lots of bedding to wash. It's Friday night my head started feeling better yesterday. The dog is better but refusing to eat. Rocky my cat wants to be fed wet food every 1/2 hour.

And last my daughter left on vacation last night and she came home from work yesterday to find her old boy sick. He is a cat that has chronic medical problems. He had finally been weaned off meds. Today I went to check on him and I stole her puppy play fence. I am hoping Rocky will jump in and out and since Diego has trouble with steps he can't jump. I hope this works. I am exhausted.

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,157
    Options

Wow, brutersmom, you have had quite a few bad days. I have a toothless cat and he does quite fine with both dry and wet food. Hope yours does as well and so kind of you to take him in.

As far as the dog with the runs, what a mess he managed to make. He'll start to eat when he's hungry enough. If the play pen is for him, I hope it works.

I can only hope that after this fiasco, you get a good weekend and next week. With all you have done and endured no wonder you are exhausted. ((Hugs)) for being such a kind soul.

• brutersmom
    Options

Thanks Betrayal. The play yard is to give the cat a safe place to eat. He is funny. He can't figure out how to get in but has no problem getting out. He trys to move the fencing to get in. If we put him in, he will jump right out the opening when he is done. The dog is sick because he at the cat food and it didn't agree with his stomach.

• aussie-cat
    aussie-cat Member Posts: 5,496
    Options

brutersmom, I hope you get to have a good rest and you and your animals feel better soon.

Thanks everyone for your photos and comments, I enjoyed them.

• brutersmom
    Options

Deigo is doing better but still not want to eat a lot. At least he drinks. Rocky has started eating treats so he must be feeling beter. Tomorrow I am taking my daughters cat to the vet. He is holding his own. She has had people in and out all day giving him his med, food and water through a syringe and out of his favorite cup. It has been a week.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,173
    Options

Pumpkin is good for doggy poos the plain pumpkin, not the pie mix and I think it works for cats to I’m not sure

• brutersmom
    Options

Spookiesmom. My house hold seems to have settled down. Deigo is slow to return to eating but I am not washing his kennel twice a day. We think my daughter foster is stressed due to all the changes that have happened in a sort period of time. I am so afraid her old boy Fe is not going to make it until my daughter comes home. I am taking him to the vet tomorrow and dropping him off. We thought about an emergency vet but they have no records and they would probably put him through unnecessary testing. He has some serious medical issues of unknown cause. It took a village but between 6 of us we have kept a little food in his tummy and hydrated. It take 2 people at a time to get anything in him. Poor baby. I will feel so much better when he is at the vet.

• brutersmom
    Options

So an update on all my furry friends. I must say one thing first about breast cancer if it has taught me one thing we need to be advocates not only for ourselves but for our pets. My daughter cats who most vets we dealt with want to put him down. But as of today he is eating and dring on his own and getting stronger. The vet is waiting for one more number to come back down. It is so close. My cat rocky has tooth surgery on Wednesday. Poor boy may have some other issues but first the teeth have to be taken care of. He has had a hard life. Dumped twice. He has been with me for the last 2 years. Then the is Deigo. He is not well. I finally got him to the vet this week. He has stones in his kidneys and bladder. He was never neutered and his one testicle is extremely swollen. Given his age the vet thinks he probably has cancer. His teeth are bad what he has left. He has very high bacteria levels in his bladder which means it is probably in has kidneys, he has decreased muscle mass and is under weight. Last he has high kidney levels and high calcium. At this point we have decided to treat the infection and provide comfort care. He is 14 so I am not sure how much we will do for him. His mom is doing better but she is not coming home. I don't think she has really be able to care for him for a while. Looks like I will be making some hard decisions for this little guy. I wish he could talk and tell me how he feels so I knew what to do.

• betrayal
    Options

You are so kind to be taking care of senior animals that require vet care. Most would just want to not deal with these issues. I have a 12 year old rescue who had to have all his teeth removed due to infected gums and he does fine with both dry and wet food. Hope Rocky does well after surgery.

As far as Diego, as long as he is eating and drinking I would probably follow his lead and giving him meds is not hard. He will let you know when its time for him to go.

Recently, I had to put my 12 year old cat down when she stopped responding to conservative treatment of IBS which most likely was really lymphoma of the abdomen. She stopped eating and was drinking but had dropped over 3 pounds in a week. She was living off her body fat at that point and we noticed she was shrinking in size. She was super clingy at the end and it broke my heart to make the decision but it was for the best.

You truly are an advocate for these animals.

• brutersmom
    Options

Back in 2019 I lost 2 dogs both I had most of there lives. Both went suddenly. I knew right away when something was wrong. I knew as soon as Jellybean,my 4 lb rat terrier, got sick because she started clinging to me one day and refused to eat. Jellybean as toothless as she was loved food. Unfortunately it was snowing everything had closed. By the time I could get her to the vet the next day it was to late to treat her. Her friend Jetson had Kidney disease. Apparently the lymes disease attacked his kidneys. It was discovered when I took him in for tooth surgery. He couldn't eat because of the infected tooth. They canceled surgery because his kidney function was 12%. The only option was to put him down. I knew he wasn't right but I thought it was the tooth. Diego I don't know his behaviors. I have only been around him 3 weeks and they have been a tough three weeks with him and the . He sleeps a lot. He seems depressed but then today he went face to face with Marbles my little devil and he seemed so happy. I have only seen his tail up 2 times. This is going to be a one day at a time with Deigo. I want to change his name to Don Deigo because he is white with brown spots. I have a large black cat named Zorro. 🙃🙃🙃

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,877
    Options

You both have my sympathy. I love old cats and fostered many for the shelter. We had a foster hospice (fospice) program to give cats a loving home until time to go. The vets stayed in touch and we decided when qol was too low to keep going. We had some real sweethearts in that program.

• brutersmom
    Options

I brought my daughter's cat Felix home to my house on Saturday. He started going down hill Saturday morning. The vet technique taught me how to give him fluid to keep him hydrated. He held his own until this afternoon when he started drinking water and then vomiting it back up. About a 1/2 hour before she got to my house he had a seizure. I held him until she got there praying he would take his last breath. She got here in time and spent a good hour with him. He was happy to see her. They left to got to the emergency hospital to help him cross the 🌈 bridge. I will miss that crazy cat.

• betrayal
    Options

Sorry to hear about Felix but glad that you were able to keep him going until your daughter arrived. Hard decision to make but happy that she got to make it and to spend some time with him beforehand.

• petite1
    Options

Wow, so sad. I still haven't gotten over Miss Felix crossing the rainbow bridge and it was 9 months ago.

Miss Felix is the calico. Midnight Louie is the black cat. This was taken 3 days before she died.

• betrayal
    Options

Miss Felix looks like my Smudge and I haven't gotten over missing her either. It means they definitely took a piece of our heart.

• brutersmom
    Options

Miss Felix is a pretty cat. Smudge looks like my Zorro. These guys have a way of working there ways intonour hearts and taking a price with them when the die.

• wren44
    Options

And my heart kitty, Mocca, looked the same. Perhaps they're better at stealing hearts than other colors? Mocca has been gone many years and I still wish she could spoon with me in bed.

• meow13
    meow13 Member Posts: 1,363
    Options

One of my Mom's

• betrayal
    Options

What a beautiful cat. What breed is it?

• meow13
    edited October 2023
    Options

My Mom has two exotics, aka short haired Persians. This kitty is Sebastian he is 1.5 years old what a dolly pie!

• wren44
    Options

He looks enormous. Is he, or is it just the photo?

• brutersmom
    Options

Very cute cat.

• meow13
    Options

Sebastian weighs 13 pounds his vet said he is ok just no more weight gain.

• wren44
    Options

That's a good weight. We got a cat at the shelter that weighed 25 lbs. I took him to the vet and had to get help to carry him in. When he got a cold and didn't want to eat, we had to force feed him. If they lose weight too fast it damages their liver.

• petite1
    Options

Midnight Louie

• brutersmom
    Options

Petite1. So cute.

• brutersmom
    Options

I needed a Halloween something for a meeting today. So I made a hat. I call it "Cats on a Hat."

• petite1
    Options

Love the hat!