Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

CALLING ALL ARTISTS- Lets make an art gallery!

Comments

• Frisky
    Frisky Member Posts: 1,686
    edited February 2019

Mina NYC—Healing the Inner Child Series

From Wounded to Wholesome

• feelingfeline
    feelingfeline Member Posts: 5,145
    edited February 2019

Wow Miaowmix - really love the breastfeeding one especially, I remember that view of my babies back in the day!

The ribbon embroidery is framed in a deep box frame.

• Frisky
    edited February 2019

Thank you Feelingfeline....you’re very kind....

• DayLily15
    DayLily15 Member Posts: 34
    edited February 2019

Beautiful Art. Thank you for sharing everyone !

I do a bit of wood burning, I did this one for my step Mom who has stage 4 GIST 6 years now and still fighting.

• CaliKelly
    CaliKelly Member Posts: 198
    edited February 2019

Lovely photos Miaomix😊 Very evocative💙

• CaliKelly
    edited February 2019

Clay sculpture with wood and resinimage

• DayLily15
    edited February 2019

Very beautiful sculpture CaliKelly ! how big is it ?

• Frisky
    edited February 2019

nice high-relief calikelly ....is the wood part of the background?

• CaliKelly
    edited February 2019

Thank you! That one is about 4 ft across. Weighs a lot!😄

• aussie-cat
    aussie-cat Member Posts: 5,502
    edited February 2019

Well done, everyone!

• feelingfeline
    feelingfeline Member Posts: 5,145
    edited February 2019

DayLily, love that image of the little tree on the branch of the old damaged tree

• DayLily15
    edited February 2019

Thank you :)

• BadLuck
    BadLuck Member Posts: 81
    edited March 2019

Hi girls. You all are very creative artist. I am as well - natural born gifted artist but unfortunately wasn't fortunate enough to pursue my career as an artist because I had to work like a slave for little pay & long hours all my life in this man's world we live in. My husband allowed me to retire early due to me getting breast cancer this past June 2018. Large tumor 5-1/2 cm, stage 1B, Grade 1, no chemo required, lumpectomy on left breast July 2018, whole breast external radiation with 16 treatments ended Oct. 2918, started hormonal treatment Anastrozole in Aug. 2918 & will have to remain on hormone drugs for 5 years. Life is so unfair to some people like me who worked so hard all their life & to have to get breast cancer is devastating. I have no desire to do any art & was so much looking forward to enjoying the rest of my life buried in my creative world of art. The Anastrozole hormone has me in a constant stage of PMS & I cry all the time. I constantly worry about the cancer coming back. Can't get over how much BAD LUCK ive had all my pitiful life. Anyone have any suggestions for me for hope?

• BadLuck
    edited March 2019

thanks Jo-5 for your encouraging thoughts & suggestions. But I'll tell ya, nothing looks reassuring to me at this point. I read an article from this sight on linking diabetes & Anastrozole. Was wondering why my A1C shit up to 6.4 since I've been on this Anastrozole. Now on my way to developing diabetes! Nothing but gloom & doom for m

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,925
    edited March 2019

BadLuck, I really encourage you to ask your doctor for something for depression. And look for a counselor or social worker who works with cancer patients. It will help to have a place to express your feelings. I used to love to read and could not read for a year after treatment, so you may be able to art in the future, even though it doesn't seem possible right now.

• Frisky
    edited March 2019

you might want to ask for another type of estrogen suppressor if anastrazole is causing diabetes. But I agree with all the others that more than anything else you need antidepressants to get out of your funk.

• leftduetostupidmods
    leftduetostupidmods Member Posts: 346
    edited March 2019

gone

• BadLuck
    edited March 2019

Ok thank you my fellow artist women who've gone through hell & back or still going through it. Your encouraging words are so much appreciated. I know I need counseling with other women who had or have breast cancer & that's why I joined this group. I'd rather do this anonymously like this than to constantly be crying & unable to speak in front of a group in person or tell a doctor who will want to push more drugs on me. I hate taking drugs & dealing with the bad side effects by the way. I live in a small town where everyone knows your name. Do any of you women know that having breast cancer is very good gossip?! Yes, the word spreads likes wild fire! People avoid you, treat you different & look at you like your death. I asked family Not to tell anyone because it's a very private thing to me. But the word got out to some & the worst ones that are spreading the rumor around. Anyway, it's obvious that I need help & I choose you girls. I will try my best to pull myself through this dark place

• BadLuck
    edited March 2019

To Joanne, what does Claritin or checking my D3 have to do with anything? I read something about antihistamines being a safe drug to take for cancer patients who are forced to take AI's that make you miserable & insomniac.

• BadLuck
    edited March 2019

Joanne, what do you mean that it's not great art?! It's beautiful! That could sell for big bucks! By the way, when I first joined this group when I needed to communicate with others going through hell, I found myself reading & reading & read some really depressing things on breast cancer & women's stories of hell. So needed a break to get away from it so haven't posted for awhile. Your right though ... Reading on this message board all the time and thinking about breast cancer 24/7 is not healthy, can scare the bee-gees out of you and make you crazy!

I am also a woman of faith. Love God but upset with him now. Keep asking him ... why God, why me? What did I do to deserve this

• wren44
    edited March 2019

Claritin can help with the side effects from the anti hormone drugs. D3 levels have a lot to do with feeling well. It's winter and you're probably covered up when you go outside, so you're not getting enough from sunshine. I take 2000 a day and my D3 levels have not gone up.

I know what you mean about small towns where everybody knows your name - and your business. I'm sorry your family couldn't keep it to themselves. I take an art class at Lifetime Learning Center and a lot of women in the class have had breast cancer, treatment, and are on the other side enjoying making art. There are so many different forms and stages of breast cancer that reading about someone else's experience can be terrifying - and their diagnosis and treatment may be nothing at all like yours.

• leftduetostupidmods
    leftduetostupidmods Member Posts: 346
    edited March 2019

gone

• BadLuck
    edited March 2019

• BadLuck
    edited March 2019

This portrait was done I believe 19 yrs ago in airbrush. I specialize in people & animal portraits. So sad that I can't seem to find the desire anymore.

• BadLuck
    edited March 2019

You know I really try not to be so negative but it's been one medical problem after another with me. We are buried up here with the Great Lakes snow effects & I've been using a big snow rake used for removing the 3-4' of snow off our house roof & yesterday I felt a cramp in my left surgical breast & last night I noticed a huge growth below the breast where my ribs are with pain! It's still there's today & now I think that it could be another insult to my body like lymphodema! I only had 2 sentinel under arm lymph nodes removed which were clear. Don't know what else I told could be. But it seems like it should been one problem after another

• CaliKelly
    edited March 2019

Bad luck, I really hope one day ,when the treatments are over and you can see light again, I really hope you will go back to your artwork, because you are beautifully talented! That dog portrait was perfection! Maybe your injury is a hematoma, if you weren't fully healed from surgery inside, that's a possibility. So hard to cheer up when the weather's gloomy! Spring is coming, and as you get further along in your cancer treatments, you'll see, it's not as bad as it seems now. Believe it or not, you'll feel pretty normal again one day💖. I was mad at God, too, for a little while, the old "why me" ? But, really now I see why me. Because I can take it! And so can you, sister💖 Here's my latest completed project, a clock, sculpted in clay, then I paint it,coat it in resin, and add the clock works

• wren44
    edited March 2019

BadLuck, That dog painting is absolutely awesome!

• aussie-cat
    aussie-cat Member Posts: 5,502
    edited March 2019

BadLuck, I thought the picture of the dog was a photo, so it's amazing if it's a painting. Well done!

CaliKelly, that's a very pretty clock! Beautiful!!

• BadLuck
    edited March 2019
    1. To Seachain, Wren, Joanne, CaliKelly, Aussie-Cat & Miaomix -you girls are awesome! Your words are of wisdom & strength. You all seem so kind & helpful! I'm so glad I joined a group of artist! We have s way of inspiring one another with our creative thoughts & suggestions. Drawing, painting, ceramics, woodcarving has always put me in a state of deep thought, almost like meditation in a way. Since this past June 2918, discovering I had breast cancer is so devastating & i don't know why but every single day & night, I think about it. Can't sleep for very long without waking up & thinking, wow - I really had breast cancer. Or during the day, the thoughts of cancer keep popping in my head & haunt my dreams of the future. Maybe because it's still so new to me. Thank God my breast cancer was the rarest form any one could ever get & it didn't require chemo to treat it. But going through the painful biopsy, surgery, radiation & now suffering the bad side effects from the hormone Anastrozole. Dr said I WILL more than likely get diabetes from it because it's in my genes, also said I will get osteoporosis from it since I have osteopenia & will most likely be switching me to one of the others like Tamoxifen that can cause more cancer, blood clots, heart disease, etc. Doctor also wants to put me on dangerous osteoporosis meds! Life sure can be unfair sometimes. I like you creative girls & your suggestions. My nieces birthday is coming up & she wanted a portrait. So I'm going to try ... but I know I'll be a little rusty for awhile. God bless all you girls
  • BadLuck
    edited March 2019

ok moderators, now I can't see any of the other posts from the girls or what I write except today's post I wrote! What's going on