Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

CALLING ALL ARTISTS- Lets make an art gallery!

Options

Comments

• gentianviolet
    gentianviolet Member Posts: 105
    edited January 2016
    Options

imageimageimage

Pendant of labradorite and sterling and two sets of rings. I made the rings after I was diagnosed. At one of the shows where another exhibitor knew about my breast cancer, she asked me if they were my "nipple rings".

One of raku and sterling titled "bad hair day". I continue to make jewelry so it keeps the dark thoughts in the back of my mind.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,876
    edited January 2016
    Options

Those pendants are just stunning. I can see one being the centerpiece of a simple outfit.

• susan3
    susan3 Member Posts: 2,631
    edited January 2016
    Options

love love love those pendants.

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,937
    edited January 2016
    Options

Susan love the sweaters and dresses! And the paintings are fun. I go yo Uptown Art in Sussex Wi. I've done a few. LOL

Gentianv, love the rings and pendants. do you have a full studio? I do most work at my teachers studio.

• gentianviolet
    edited January 2016
    Options

Thanks Wren for your comment. The women who purchase the pendants are usually looking for a statement piece to make an outfit.

Susan, thank you for your compliment. I admire your ability to knit..........shortly after we were married I knitted my new husband a long sleeved V neck sweater. Unfortunately when it was finished it looked like it belonged to an alien. The arms were way too long and the body way too small. But he looked very funny in it so we both had a good laugh. And you paint also, I am not nearly focused enough to try two different media.

Hi Moonflwr - Yes I have a full studio. I have been making jewelry since 1984 but didn't have the courage to try for juried art shows until about 1990. It's always fun to speak to the customers and I have met so many really nice people over the last decades. Thanks for asking about my studio.

• Enerva
    Enerva Member Posts: 2,985
    edited January 2016
    Options

Wow susan , love all

:)

humm the stich i ll looked it up i never know the names lol

is all very simple though

• feelingfeline
    feelingfeline Member Posts: 5,145
    edited January 2016
    Options

Gentian - now I know what your avatar is!!

• gentianviolet
    edited January 2016
    Options

Hi Feeling - Yes, that is one of the pendants that I had a slide for......have to submit slides (only now digital pictures) to jury into the shows I do. I have the work photographed because that is what all my competition does and to be (hopefully) accepted by the jury, I have no choice but to pay a professional to shoot the pieces. I have bad hair days all the time so this pendant was easy to title.

• ladyb1234
    ladyb1234 Member Posts: 1,237
    edited January 2016
    Options

love the work Susan and Gentain

• not-again
    not-again Member Posts: 10
    edited January 2016
    Options

• not-again
    edited January 2016
    Options

This is a large painting I finished recently. Nice idea to have an art gallery here. Art keeps me sane, well, it keeps me going Haha.

• not-again
    edited January 2016
    Options

Love the other photos! Beautiful jewelry.

• not-again
    edited January 2016
    Options

• not-again
    edited January 2016
    Options

Sorry I couldn't see how to also type on the same post as the picture. I do a lot of dog portraits for my patrons. I love dogs!

• feelingfeline
    edited January 2016
    Options

Not-again you certainly know dogs! What beautiful paintings! I'm not even a dog person and I love them.

(PS to type on same post as picture you need to click down away from the pic) XXX

• gentianviolet
    edited January 2016
    Options

not again - so sorry that you have a new problem, if I'm correct about you searching for an answer about rads for DCIS. Good luck with what ever you choose, and I can only imagine how hard it must be when dealing with DCIS.

Your paintings are fabulous......are they acrylic? I tried to paint but was a miserable failure. Although I must admit that whatever medium one chooses to try.........that everyone starts at square one and only through tenacity does it get easier and better; mine was and still is a long learning curve with the jewelry. In my opinion you have clearly mastered the art of painting.

• susan3
    edited January 2016
    Options

not again. Beautiful dog paintings!!

• not-again
    edited January 2016
    Options

Thanks for the comments on my paintings. Yes, gentian, we all start out as artists. But if we give up on something we do start back at square one if we then want to continue. I started drawing dogs when I was a little girl, so lots of years. You have a great sense of design and use of materials. So I would say you are also mastering your choice of expression. I use acrylic since I am too impatient to deal with oils. I am trying to read as much as I can today, on this site, to arm myself for my RO tomorrow. They have me scheduled for simulation right after my consult. I guess they don't expect me to resist. I don't like that my MO wouldn't discuss the radiation issue with me at all. I looked him up and he did his residency in radiation, which added to my wonderment of his lack of comments. Tomorrow when I get to the cancer center I'm going to request a different onc. for follow up on my two issues.

• wren44
    edited January 2016
    Options

Has anyone here tried Brusho? I watched a demo on line yesterday. It looked like it would be a lot of fun and best done outside in the summer because it's messy and stains. Brusho are powdered pigments and have nice strong bright colors. You sprinkle the pigments on wet or dry paper and add water with a brush or atomizer. The colors tend to run and create their own things. You can use wax resist under brusho and after it dries use bleach to bring the color back to white or some other intermediate color. She used bleach straight with a brush and half bleach/half water in an atomizer. I don't think I could make anything nice or accurate with it, but it would make a fun experiment.

• not-again
    edited January 2016
    Options

I haven't heard of that product, but it sounds fun. Be careful with powered pigments, since they can be cancer causing. I'm also a textile artist and when I was in college I used a lot of powdered dyes, with proper ventilation. Still the powders are so fine, who knows if I was exposed. Anyway, they are also a problem for artists. So many materials are just not good for us. Two years ago, in the building many of us rent studio space, there were four of us with cancer(various types), including three stage 4. There were two who had previous cancer and another friend, not in our building. One day three of us were at the cancer center at the same time!

I'll try attaching one of my recent textile pieces.

• gentianviolet
    edited January 2016
    Options

not again - Oh, this last textile piece is right up my alley, I adore it!!!! Guess I am more into three dimensional than flat pieces. How envious I am that you could create that. Do you have more textile pieces??? And thanks for the warning about the powdered dyes. I did enamels (cloisonne) for many years and am aware of the lead that is in some of the enamels. Have always wondered if the jewelry process has side effects after a number of years. At least the solder I use does not have cadmium however I am sure there are plenty of other chemicals that long exposure could cause a problem.

Wren - Had never heard of Brusho but looked it up and watched several youtube shows. Very interesting. My youngest son is the art teacher at our middle school and he watched one of the videos with interest. I will have to alert him to the warning that not-again gave as his students are 7th and 8th graders. But what fun!

• OncoWarrior
    OncoWarrior Member Posts: 3,326
    edited January 2016
    Options

They took a photo of my collage. Let's see if I can put it here.

Looks a lot better in real life!

We had to make a short write-up to go with it. There is a lot of symbolism in the piece, some of it I wrote about and some not. Here it is:

My Journey by Natasha OncoWarrior

I walk into the dry and burning Desert of the Unknown.

Measuring tools seem to surround me as I must be tested often. A firm foundation built on Faith and Hope enables me to face the devastation that has torn the fabric of my life. This journey takes me on strange paths through healing territories that are both beautiful and dangerous.Time is my silent companion while I wait for results, count days since the last procedure, anticipate the next treatment, add up anniversaries, and wonder about the future. I walk. I run. I climb. I tire. I pray. I fall down. I cry. I rest. I get up. I go on. I fall and rise again. I grow in serenity and courage and wisdom.Some tears, like drops of holy water, are left along the way.

The last one falls on this side of the door through which I shall pass into the place of my beautiful ending where all will be well.

Wow! I cannot believe that I am doing all this "pasting". Getting computer-sophisticated.

Nerdy

• wren44
    edited January 2016
    Options

Onco, That is just awesome.

• susan3
    edited January 2016
    Options

I love collages. Looks great!!

• not-again
    edited January 2016
    Options

Gentian, yes! I have a boatload of work right now. Preparing for the Art Crawl in our building which takes place next month. It draws around 4,000 visitors each year. I don't know much about the chemicals you may be exposing yourself to. But best to be sure you are safe when you are working.

Glad you like my textile piece. I have so much fun working with fibers, which was my major concentration in college.

• not-again
    edited January 2016
    Options

Onco, very nice work! I think what you wrote really describes what it is like for us. The broken measuring tools showing what our time is like, at least for a while.

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,937
    edited January 2016
    Options

oncow, awesome. Not again, I love the dogs and textiles. Very talented group here.

• feelingfeline
    edited January 2016
    Options

Onco - Love the collage and the writing.

• mamachickie
    mamachickie Member Posts: 8
    edited January 2016
    Options
    T shirt of my mom's favorite saying as we were growing up :)

• mamachickie
    mamachickie Member Posts: 8
    edited January 2016
    Options

T shirt blanket of special places things that hold special memories of the time. ..which is never enough. ...that we had together.

Missing Mamachickie :(image