Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Anyone getting ready to start Radiation in Fall 2016?

Comments

• Imkopy2
    Imkopy2 Member Posts: 214

You are most welcome...if you can get the packets they are much cheaper and you can keep a few in your purse :)

• Imkopy2
    Imkopy2 Member Posts: 214

Thank you for the link fwcb...Im reading up on it now <hugs

• Purple73
    Purple73 Member Posts: 2

Hi all.  Anyone else going thru radiation currently?  I'm on day 10 with 15 days to go.

I was diagnosed with DCIS on August 11th, wide area excision on Sept 2nd and radiation started on Nov 8th.

Am going ok so far, even went for a run this morning.  I guess I just wanted to connect with others that might be going thru the same thing right now.  :) 

• reflect
    reflect Member Posts: 280

Wow, that's really far to be driving every day, especially if you get fatigued, as many of us do. Plus snow....some big centers have accommodations so you might check into that. Good luck!

• reflect

Keep your eye on the radar and reserve ahead? Do you also have people who can drive you if you get too fatigued? (aside from weather issues) It would be helpful to get a list going.

• darab
    darab Member Posts: 894

Hi Purple. I am on #11 of 35 today. I"m getting the lower dose of radiation so have more sessions. So far, doing just fine. Skin has no issues at all and fatigue is minimal.

KB, my center is also 1+ hour away, but they do have satellite clinics. I went to the main center for surgery and chemo but only have a 20 minute drive for rads. I'm so thankful, especially if the weather is bad. Keep checking in here. People are starting treatment all the time.

• Tante
    Tante Member Posts: 2

Thanks, Licata. Melatonin isn't good for me because it increases my anxiety, but trying meditation and deep breathing. Did manage to get a solid 5 hours 2 nights this weekend, which is huge. :) Will definitely check out Headspace too.

I have a question regarding lotions--I've been applying to the basic area I know is getting the radiation, but should I be applying to the whole breast, and underneath? Saw radiation nurse for the first time yesterday, and she made a point of checking under the breast for rash/irritation.

• IHGJAnn49
    IHGJAnn49 Member Posts: 408

Tante, Definitely check underneath, I'm on 13 of 20 and I'm getting the burn underneath.. some itching too

• boobsBgone
    boobsBgone Member Posts: 34

headed out in a few for 18/25 today. I am super lucky thus far, no burning, just a nice tan on the left side. I am just really fatigued all the damn time!

for those of your travelling in the snow, sending purrs for good luck in driving! may you stay safe and warm.

finding it difficult to keep up with my appetite, most days I do not have one and I force myself to eat. wish that problem was when i did not have to deal with cancer! LOL

I wish you all a Great and Happy Thanksgiving! and SEs take the weekend off!

• Dizzybee
    Dizzybee Member Posts: 115

Got a call this afternoon asking me to go to the planning appointment at 8.30 tomorrow. So after insisting I didn't need a separate appointment and they were going to run the planning along with the rads themselves they finally worked out they couldn't do that. So progress of a sort, but a bit of notice would have been better, had to cancel some things I had planned for tomorrow morning.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,480

Hang in there, All, who are going through this now!! You can do it!!

• amusingsoprano
    amusingsoprano Member Posts: 77

Hi Purple, I'm very similar to you - diagnosed with DCIS 4 August, WLE 16 August (re-excision 4 September) and started rads on 25 October, so 20/25 today. There is also a discussion board for Aus/NZ ladies if you're not already on that.

• reflect

Hi all, just checking in. I saw the covering RO today and we agreed there is no improvement in my symptoms. She said it's radiation SEs and not infection, and, well, carry on. I declined tx today and tomorrow but will go WF and next week MT and done. They said it will get worse before it gets better. They said it's impossible to predict who will have difficult SEs and who won't. I have to say all cancer tx is barbaric (slash, poison, burn) and one day, I hope, we will look back on these times and shudder.

• rayna_666
    rayna_666 Member Posts: 4

Hello. I believe I will be starting radiation in mid December. I live in the middle of nowhere 85 miles away from my hospital. So I figure it should be an adventure getting there in the snow and what not. Hopefully it will stay nice until February...

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534

Tante - I asked one of the techs where to moisturize. If you do put lotion under your breast, make sure it soaks in. Some people put a cloth underneath to keep that area dry.

reflect - The extra days off will help. You're almost done! The treatments are still barbaric. I follow a plastic surgeon on Twitter. The first time I saw a tweet on regenerative medicine, I was disappointed they weren't talking about growing breasts. I'm still down one. :(

Be safe getting to and from treatments! Suddenly we have snow here.

• Purple73
    Purple73 Member Posts: 2

oh cool.  can you post a link to that page if possible please.  thanks

• reflect

Hey Serenity, thanks. I know I'm almost there. The nurse suggested hanging out naked as much as possible for healing. I don't know what her house is like in November but, lol, this is New England. My corner hasn't had snow other than flurries but west and south of here got lots. It's coming. (Winter is Coming.)

Best to all, starting and finishing and in-between.

• bagsharon
    bagsharon Member Posts: 142

Today the mold was made, a CT Scan was done and the marks put on my chest. I didn't get tattoos but permanent marker with tape and they're huge! The one in the center of my chest is the size of a quarter (a circle with a cross)! There'll be no low cut blouses this holiday season. I was disappointed that they didn't go ahead and do the simulation. That's yet another appointment and more delay. I'm doubting I'll get all my treatments in before the end of the year while I'm still on a single deductible/out-of-pocket. I did get shown where the top secret parking garage is for cancer patients, though, so I got that going for me, which is nice.

• Miko
    Miko Member Posts: 198

Hi bagsharon: the waiting is awful but hopefully it will be done quicker. I am hoping to get tats since they are smaller but we shall see. Wishing you a successful and uneventful rad treatment - be strong

• darab

Wow Bagsharon, I'm surprised at the size of your marks. I did get the tattoos and they are so small, I sometimes have a hard time finding them. At least they won't be able to miss yours! Just tell people it's a treasure hunt and X marks the spot! :-)

I was lucky in that my RO combined the sim and the first treatment. Saved me one trip at least. Today was #12 and I'm getting a bit pink and tender. Under arm was also a bit swollen yesterday. Will be so nice to have 4 days off with no alarm clock! My rad nurse said to be sure not to use creams other than what they recommend as some ingredients can irritate the radiated skin. Same old stuff recommended, aqua for, miaderm, calendula. Still getting a quest stomach each day for a bit also.

Miko, you'll be surprised how quickly the time goes by once you get started. People told me that, but I didn't believe them. Now I know!

• IHGJAnn49

Dara, We're almost finished.. today is 13 of 20.. and yes it does go fast, seems like 5 minutes on the table and you're off again... I have some burning underneath, but doable... I started using Propel.. and it helps with the fatigue and nausea...

• darab

Thanks for the suggestion Judy. I'll try the propel for the nausea. Unfortunately, I have to go to #35 so have a few more than you. My RO chooses not to do the higher dose so we have more sessions. Might be better for me as I seem to be getting skin SEs.

• Dizzybee
    Dizzybee Member Posts: 115

I had my planning appointment today, planned, scanned and tattooed and out again in 40 minutes flat. So I get 15 sessions starting a week tomorrow, and finish up on the 21st just in time for the kids to come home for a family Christmas. Luckily it's not me who usually does most of the cooking, I'll be doing a different sort of cooking of my own maybe!

• Licata519
    Licata519 Member Posts: 30

Hi Bagsharon, I have the tattoos, but they mark big x's on them every day. Be careful not to wear anything you love, as the marker doesn't really wash off, but it does stain clothes.

• joyandpiece
    joyandpiece Member Posts: 27

Bagsharon, I have the markers and stickers, too, including the big round one with the "X". Maybe it is an Ohio thing? Lol. I get my treatments in Dayton. My bonus is that I am in the prone position so my marks are on my back and sides. A bit of radiation humor for all though...After I got my marks I had an appointment with MO. I had to talk to the new resident first. After the usual questions he went to listen to my heart and jumped back and said "why do you have a sticker on your back?" I calmly explained and told him I had more if he wanted to see them!! He declined :)

• Regen
    Regen Member Posts: 9

Hi everyone. This is my first post here after weeks of reading, reading, reading. (Knowing what to expect is typically how I feel in control.) Although the many breast cancer websites are full of good information, this forum is where the information gets real. Thank you all for sharing! I have just started radiation - 3rd of 16 whole breast, with 4 boosts. Is anyone else having Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT)? I haven't seen too much about it here.

• Miko
    Miko Member Posts: 198

hi Regen I haven't started rads yet. Just 5 days post lumpectomy. Will start rads next month. MRT is new I think and an advanced form of rads. More targeted. You are so right, this board is the best place to be - lots of shared experiences and support. Good luck with treatment and let us know how treatment goes for you. Hugg

• bagsharon
    bagsharon Member Posts: 142

Hi joyandpeace! Nice to finally "meet" somebody from my neck of the woods! I keep alarming myself when I look down and think there's a large spider crawling up my chest.

• IHGJAnn49

HAPPY THANKSGIVING Everyone... whether you are from US or somewhere else, I am Thankful for All of You!

• rosannadana
    rosannadana Member Posts: 1

Purple73,

I will be starting radiation on Nov 28th. IDC, lumpectomy. Looking at 18 treatments.