Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Options

Comments

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hope you have a wonderful party! We may get some warmer weather soon, but not today. I took this picture earlier today. Warmer weather may help free this car. Excuse my finger in the shot. I was in a rush.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2017
    Options

When I was 18, I saw this when it was on loan at MOMA.

• gardengypsy
    gardengypsy Member Posts: 499
    edited February 2017
    Options

Love her dress so much.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2017
    Options

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,043
    edited February 2017
    Options

We continue to have unseasonably warm temperatures. It was over 60 degrees today, the weatherman says it is like April weather. The entire week is supposed to be this mild, with weather in the 60s! Dh and I got our second apple tree trimmed today. So glad that chore is complete! We burned the smaller branches in the fire pit all afternoon. The sun was shining and there wasn'ta cloud in the sky the entire day!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2017
    Options

Weather is around hovering around freezing. We still have lots of snow.

My family and I really enjoyed the Santa Clarita Diet on Netflix. Lots of laughs and groans. Loopy

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2017
    Options

ThumbsUp

#action=share

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2017
    Options

• jcn16
    jcn16 Member Posts: 102
    edited February 2017
    Options

Serenity, Thanks for the video and the photo. Made me smile as I get ready to turn in for the night. Of the 5 threads I am on I always save this one for last because I know it will leave me smiling. Thank you for that!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2017
    Options

jcn - Thanks! I'm glad to spread some joy!

I saw this recipe and decided to wing it with almond flour. I had everything else. Wow! The texture was smoother, but it was delicious. On the same page is a link to the Almond-Lemon Macaroons recipe. I plan to make it this weekend.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1012809-pan-baked-lemon-almond-tart?action=click&module=RecirculationRibbon&pgType=recipedetails&rank=6

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hmm...

• divinemrsm
    edited February 2017
    Options

That pan lemon tart looks good, Serenity.

I don't watch many videos, but this one was quite entertaining and fun, and I didn't want it to end:

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2017
    Options

Divine - That was great! Impressive costume changes and wigs. The tart was yummy. I will make it again.

Wilson!!!

• divinemrsm
    edited February 2017
    Options

I bought two new pair of jeans today. The ones I had were getting snug. Nothing like a nice fitting pair of jeans that don't pinch to make me feel a whole lot better!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2017
    Options

Divine - Jeans that fit are essential!

I've been squeezing fresh lemon juice into my water lately. It's delicious! Had a great nap even with the pup moving around me. She couldn't find a comfy spot.

Brain freeze!

• jcn16
    edited February 2017
    Options

I am grateful for this thread and all of the ladies who share their "thin slices of joy." It makes me happy! You all have had a positive impact on my life and I was reminded of that today while I am at working researching the health benefits of gratitude for a presentation on grateful patients to clinicians. Here's the article if you are interested:

http://healthland.time.com/2012/11/22/why-gratitud...

and now I think I'll go write a thank you note!

Smile

• cliff
    cliff Member Posts: 86
    edited February 2017
    Options

my little slices of joy are holding my granddaughter.

I had sciatica for a couple of years, hurt real bad, got it from a couple of falls. finally found a place on my back between my hips that hurt, on a whim, I put a thumb knuckle there and backed up against a door frame. pushed and the pain from my leg hasn't been back since. I am not a doctor, and I have never been in one of those hotels.it just worked for me.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2017
    Options

jcn - Thanks for the article! Since I've started looking for thin slices of joy, it seems feelings of gratitude follow.

cliff - Your granddaughter is lucky to have you doting on her. Interesting solution to your sciatica. I'll try poking around.

My dog sticks her head in the dishwasher as I load it to scavenge food remnants. Inevitably she gets ick on top of her head or in her ear fringe. She's prone to matted fur behind her ears. When I clipped the hair around her ears, I cut off some matted hair with unidentifiable food in it. I think this made her feel better. She's being extra loving.
  • reflect
    reflect Member Posts: 280
    edited February 2017
    Options

Thank you all for the slices! I save this thread for last too, very uplifting. My slice today: I was working 1:1 with a student in my (adult ESOL) class and she got it, and knew she had gotten it. High 5 with grandma from Ukraine. I love my job.

• magiclight
    magiclight Member Posts: 6,656
    edited February 2017
    Options

reflect... High 5 indeed. Best feeling ever to connect with students as s/he progresses to that ah-ha moment.

• divinemrsm
    edited February 2017
    Options

Pain relief is always a joy, and to remove the discomfort of a pet feels good, too...along with the teacher/student connection, all are great! I worked over ten years as a teacher's aide and had those moments...very sayisfying.

One slice of joy, (and relief) I experienced: I've always done our income taxes, and Turbo Tax really helped in recent years. But last year, dh and I sold a rental house, making this year's tax forms more complex. Earlier this week, I sat for several hours reading, rereading, researching how to enter the correct figures. It was stressful and frustrating.

So, I asked around and found a reputable tax preparer, called today and made an appointment with her in March. Load off my mind! It will be worth the fee to unload the burden!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2017
    Options

reflect - That's such a great feeling! ThumbsUp I worked in a math tutoring lab in grad school. When I asked one student to work through a problem, he pulled out his graphing calculator to get the answer. I never used one, so I went through the concept and the steps to solve it manually. I think he came back a few times and then stopped. At the end of the semester he came to thank me for forcing him to learn without the calculator.

Divine - That's an excellent time to get professional help.

The whole family was at dinner tonight. Seems we haven't eaten together in so long. It was great. I also noticed I had much less pain sitting at dinner. I was able to do my inverted hang earlier today. I tried pressing around my back using a lacrosse ball, but couldn't find a magic spot. I ended up massaging my piriformis muscle. Feels good to be making progress again.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2017
    Options

When I saw this I immediately recognized it as a painting I "copied" in 7th grade art class.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2017
    Options

Finding Dory on Netflix! Family movie night! Smile

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited February 2017
    Options

hi, what a nice thread! Some of my favorite people are here. :)

I borrowed this from elsewhere on BCO. Way cool. Makes me smile.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hi badger! Beautiful horse!

Finding Dory was cool. Always glad to hear John Ratzenberger. The movie even had cute otters.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2017
    Options

My absolute favorite artist is Matisse.

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited February 2017
    Options

Took my dog for a walk this morning, I usually take the same walk, with small variations, up a hill in my local park. Today for some reason, I decided to climb a small flight of steps I noticed just off to the side of the main path. At the top there was an amazing view of the city with snow covered mountains to the north, the North Sea to the East, and the beautiful riverTay to the South. It took my breath away. X

• jcn16
    edited February 2017
    Options

Spent my birthday yesterday with my sister and daughter. My sister lives 4.5 hours away so we've adopted a new "hometown" that is halfway between. It's about 30 minutes from where we grew up. We went out for lunch, bought a new outfit, and had a pot of tea in my favorite tea shop before heading home. Great day filled with laughter!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2017
    Options

ScotBird - That sounds beautiful!

jcn - Happy Birthday!

This fishing dog shows great patience. ThumbsUp

https://twitter.com/fascinatingvids/status/8356938...