Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Options

Comments

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,044
    edited February 2017
    Options

My local library is part of a consortium of 92 library systems in 46 different Ohio counties. I search the library website and can place a hold on any book in the consortium and it's sent to my library which is just a block away. I read a lot and rarely buy books since I can borrow them for free. My slice of joy comes when I am really looking forward to reading a book and the library calls to tell me it's in for me to pick up. Today, I was expecting just one book and when I went to pick it up, three books were in! I felt joy about that because I have all day long appointments at the hospital tomorrow with scans, an oncologist appt and a zometa iv, so now I have my pick of a book I can take to read during the lag times.

• gardengypsy
    gardengypsy Member Posts: 499
    edited February 2017
    Options

Smile

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited February 2017
    Options

Divine - My daughter is like that when buying books. We recently bought bigger bookshelves for her room. She plans to limit her purchases to what will fit. Hope your day goes smoothly tomorrow.

All four of us ate dinner together. It happens a few times a week now that school is in session. We had a good time tonight.

• divinemrsm
    edited February 2017
    Options

Serenity, family dinners can be some of the nicest times spent with each other.

My day went reasonably well with the scans and appts., tho it was long. I drive an hour to Pittsburgh, so got up very early to be there by 7:15. Two scans in the a.m., doctor appt and iv in the afternoon. Several slices of joy to be found: first was meeting up with my son for lunch. He works justs a few blocks from the hospital. Delicious sandwiches at a place he selected because it is owned by one of the clients of the company he works for, which helps minorities secure business loans and gives them support to grow their business, Then he told me he got a raise and a bonus, and as a mom, its always nice to hear your kid is able to support himself! Then later, i was chilled while getting the zometa iv so a nurse brought me a heated blanket. I was in the chair laying back with my feet up and the warmth of that covering put me right out for a little snooze, which I needed by that time!

• gardengypsy
    edited February 2017
    Options

Divine~ I got to visit with my son (age 22) this week and my heart just flutters when he is in the room. He is a chef and I am so proud of him.

My daughter turned 30 today! I will see her and my grandsons this weekend.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2017
    Options

GG - Cool! What kind of chef is your son? Happy Birthday to your daughter! You must be excited to see them. My older daughter just turned 21.

Divine - What an early day! Glad you got a nap before heading home. Great news about your son. Our kids are still in school, and the older one is thinking about grad school. We don't expect them to be self sufficient anytime soon.

Guess that leads me to being glad to live where I am. We pay a good amount in taxes, but we don't have to worry about tuition and health care costs. Tuition at the university is very, very low. A colleague told me his daughter graduated with $10K in savings. My older daughter may do the same.

I actually worked today. I got an email last night asking for help. My leg hurt most of the time, but I was able to do it (all computer work). Probably took longer to find a solution than before cancer treatment, but I haven't worked full time since May. There's a new version of the software we use, so finding my way around it took a little extra time. Oh, I like the new laptop from work. It's much lighter than the old. I'm slowly getting it configured to what I need. I worry about cognitive problems from chemo or any of the other meds that I take. But hey, the guy who asked for help couldn't solve it!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2017
    Options

I love dogs!

Meet Quincy: Colorado's Cutest Paperboy

• bright55
    bright55 Member Posts: 146
    edited February 2017
    Options

hi everyone

Traditional corned beef silverside dinner suprise...mashed potatoes and greens with mustard sauce was a Family dinner cooked by my 87yr old mum as weather in australia is now warmer her osteo is not as bad so todays suprise for three 60 plus family fembers and another 88year old ..all home cooked wow so we all had fond childhood memories of this favourite english style meal

Lover and teacher of food recipe history

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2017
    Options

Bright - Wow! That's a big family gathering! I love homemade food.

Went to Qi Gong at the wellness centre today. There was a beautiful German Shepherd (Long Haired, I think) outside the glass exit door. He saw me looking and came closer. I waved from the inside.

I've skipped Yoga and Meditation again this week to avoid sitting. I still have leg pain/numbness. We did some basic silk reeling. I was surprised that my leg pain/numbness lessened right away. Will have to do it regularly, but not too much.

The receptionist is resigning. She wants to work from home, but she doesn't have anything lined up yet. She's interested in becoming a virtual assistant or transcriptionist. I have no idea how you become one. I'm lucky to have the option to work from home, but it's only the techs in my organization who can do it.

I watched The 100 with teen daughter last night. This line got to me: "There's nothing like a little pain to remind you you're alive." Well, when you put it that way...

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2017
    Options

My pup is weirdly flatulent. My kids noticed long before I did. Whenevershe gets up on her hind legs such as when she looks for food on the counter, she releases a small amount of gas. It happens about 70% of the time, my husband estimated. I've never kept track, but I heard it tonight. It doesn't take much to entertain my family. My pup makes us smile every day.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2017
    Options

Cuddling with pup while drinking coffee. ThumbsUp

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2017
    Options

Sting!

• jcn16
    jcn16 Member Posts: 102
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hi Serenity, I'd like to join this thread. I could always use a little more joy in my life. Love the Sting video! Thanks for sharing it.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2017
    Options

jcn - Yes, please, pull up a comfy chair, blanket, and drink! Working on hygge.

• jcn16
    edited February 2017
    Options

Thanks. Hadn't heard about hygge until I read it herebut I'm ready to embrace it. Just finished a pot of tea. 😀

• gardengypsy
    edited February 2017
    Options

Dogs and cats are essential Hygge ingredients.

• jcn16
    edited February 2017
    Options

Two dogs, check.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2017
    Options

ThumbsUp

My older daughter went to dinner with friends. She had an Oreo cheesecake for dessert. Said the cheesecake I made was better. ThumbsUp

• divinemrsm
    edited February 2017
    Options

Nothin' like Mom's homemade cookin'.....or baking, Serenity!

The other day when I went to lunch with my son, the restaurant had different types of tea. I am not a tea drinker. My son loves it. He got some kind of specialty flavor and after it cooled a bit, I tried it by taking a sip....wrinkled my nose and said, "That's terrible." We both laughed. Ds doesn't expect me to be insincere. He just sat there smiling and drinking something that to me, smelled and tasted like brewed hay. lol

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2017
    Options

Divine - Wrinkling your nose at tea is restrained! I'm not much of a tea drinker, but my older daughter loves her teas. She has a corner on the kitchen counter for all her teas. I have tried some, but I tend to react like Tom Hanks in Big when he tried caviar. :) I will drink white tea for its nutrients, but I love coffee.

Hello, otter pup!

https://twitter.com/thedailyotter/status/828201877...

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2017
    Options

I love listening to NPR's Tiny Desk Concert. I don't listen to pop radio, so I'm a latecomer to loving Adele.

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited February 2017
    Options

Wallowing in a lovely bath with my scented candles lit and my book to read. V relaxing! X

• gardengypsy
    edited February 2017
    Options

Just splurged on a hardcopy of Chris Bohjalian's new book!

• reflect
    reflect Member Posts: 280
    edited February 2017
    Options

ScotBird, the bath is my haven, I'll have to add candles.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2017
    Options

I'm taking a bath today! Will light my scented candle, make the room warm, apply a seaweed hair mask, and put some tunes to play on Bluetooth speaker or watch a little Netflix. I have a new exfoliating cloth.

My pup was scratching her ear, and I decided to help. I put my palm against her ear and rubbed. She purred!

ThumbsUp

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2017
    Options

Sliding otter!

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited February 2017
    Options

I'm taking the Caledonian sleeper train from Scotland to London tonight: an hour before you arrivethey bring you breakfast in bed with a proper pot of tea - heaven. X

• divinemrsm
    edited February 2017
    Options

We had an unusually high temperature of 60 degrees for February here today. When dh came home from work, he asked if I wanted to go for a walk, which surprised me because he usually walks on the treadmill. We had a nice stroll around town, our usual route.

• jcn16
    edited February 2017
    Options

Divine, sounds like we'll be getting your weather here tomorrow in east PA. Thanks for sending the warmth our way. Can't wait

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2017
    Options

ScotBird - What a great way to travel! What did you have for breakfast? I confess that I could eat breakfast foods at anytime.

Divine - Glad you took advantage of the mild weather.

jcn - Pass the warmth please!

I called my PCP last week, and they were able to squeeze me in today. I got there a few minutes late because I circled the parking lot a few times until I found a space. Amazed that I was out of the office in 45 minutes. Really!

I needed refills on my meds, and she gave me referrals for gynecology, dermatology, and a colonoscopy :(. I just asked for the dermatology referral. She also introduced me to a pivot nurse if I needed anything urgent. The cancer centre had faxed her details of my treatment, so she was up to date on everything except for the past 2 months after rads ended. I see my MO in 2 weeks. I'll ask him if he can recommend a gynecologist and dermatologist. In one of my visits, an oncology gynecologist sat in. Didn't know that was a specialty. So, maybe that guy.

I know socialized health care is scary to some people, but I'm pleased with the care I've been getting. And I love validated parking at my PCP.