Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,265
    edited May 2022

Weirdo chiming in - I haven't used my dishwasher in 6 or 10 or 15 years. It probably makes a difference that I live alone and that I usually only cook or eat one meal a day. I use one plate, one fork, one glass - & I wash them by hand after I eat. And most of my meals are 'one pot' specials so not many pans either.

But I will be soooooo glad when I get the icemaker installed in the fridge I purchased in March. It has been back ordered 4 times and now scheduled for mid July.

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited May 2022

Almost every day we have a full dishwasher load to run. We hardly ever eat out, and mostly cook from scratch (my husband cooks). Lots to wash!

A year ago I bought a monstera plant. Really there were 3 plants in 1 pot. I divided them right away. Last week I took a cutting from one to try to propagate it. It's still alive! No roots yet.

• sarahmaude
    sarahmaude Member Posts: 338
    edited May 2022

minustwo, my daughter’s house in her college town has no dishwasher. Even when it’s two of us sometimes I’m awed by the number of dishes we create. I think it takes actually having only one person staying disciplined to be as efficient keeping up as you are. I can see how that way of working can be mindful in its own way. Given I have 4 adults in my house now, I’m in love with my new dishwasher. It has a “third rack” which I thought would be hooey. But it holds things like spatulas and serving spoons. It’s pretty amazing how having those out of the upper rack improves loading.

Serenitystat, I’m going to have to look up a monstera plant. I’ve got two huge plants in my home office that started small. One is a peace lily, the other has variegated large leaves. Got it at Walmart in 2002 or so. It was in my work office, and now that I’m still teleworking, it’s in my home office. It could be divided. I’m supposed to go back to in office 3 days a week post chemo. I should take a “thin slice” of it back to my work office. Might be good to start it now as a sign of better things to come

• sarahmaude
    edited May 2022

Oldladyblue, you are a champ at finding the pony under the manure! You are right to celebrate the bad tenant leaving. I think I’d be holding my head at all he left behind, but you nailed it, this was the outcome you needed. He’s gone!

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,564
    edited May 2022

MinusTwo - You are not the only weirdo. I don't use my dishwasher either. Also haven't used the stove or oven in my apartment. Like you, I just pretty much do a one pot altogether sort of thing for myself, as I live alone, and I just microwave it. I've kind of come to a "if I can't microwave it, I don't do it" sort of thing. I was in another apartment a few years ago (same building, just different apt), and I had been there for years and used all the appliances. They gradually started not working well, giving out, etc.; all but the microwave. While I could have asked maintenance to fix things, I just realized I didn't really need to use all that stuff, so basically got into the "microwave and handwashing dishes only" mode back then. Then came cancer, and in the middle of treatment, I was forced to move into this current apartment because they needed to renovate the old one. I just continued with the microwaving and handwashing, since I had gotten so used to it. It's been 2.5 years and I'm actually afraid to try the stove, oven, or dishwasher now - afraid something might go wrong and I'd set off the fire alarms or something (I have terrible anxiety about that). The appliances were all new when I moved in here, and have still yet to be touched.

The joy in this for me is realizing that I can lead a much simpler life and still have good things like a "family dinner" every day, with little mess and clean up. Also, I think it is good for my mental health to make my own food and wash the dishes up myself - especially now that I have had this cancer issue. I like to ponder a lot of things while I hand wash the dishes and make my one pot meals. I've read that people who do these things for themselves live longer overall, and it also serves as a real good gauge for me to know how I'm faring on a given day. If I feel too tired to do all of that, or want a change in routine or something, it's a red flag to me that something might be "off".

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2022

SarahMaude - I love that third rack! Growing up the dishwasher broke and was never repaired. Guess my parents figured they had kids to do that. It's not as if they couldn't afford it. I have a monstera deliciosa. In bright, indirect light it grows quickly. I gave my older daughter one of the plants, but she doesn't have as much light. It still grows though.

ThreeTree - I agree that dishwashing can be meditative. I do still hand wash things that can't go in the dishwasher. My husband doesn't do one-pot meals, so I may have lots of pots to clean.

Had a long day going to the hospital for my appointment. My blood counts have recovered, so I can restart Ibrance soon.

My husband couldn't drive me today, so I took the train over. I returned by subway and bus. Almost everyone wore a mask.

• oldladyblue
    oldladyblue Member Posts: 302
    edited June 2022

Serenity - Did you like the train/subway/bus trip? Sounds like it took awhile. Almost no one in Florida wears masks anymore at all. Seems surreal to me to almost not see a single one when I go out. I think I'm going to get my second booster soon.

All the dishwasher stories are making me smile. I've had a love-hate relationship with dishwashers for so long. Prefer handwashing, especially when I'm cold, as the hands in hot water always warms me up. I think it's so silly to "pre-wash" what you put in the dishwasher, but if we don't, something is always still dirty in the end. So my husband pre-washes and uses the dishwasher, and I hand wash completely... For three people in my home, there are ALWAYS lots of dishes...

sarahmaude, you are so funny, the pony under the manure heheheh. I will use that line somewhere myself in the future!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2022

I do like to take public transit over driving myself around Montreal. The fastest way to get to the hospital is by commuter train, but it doesn't run frequently enough to use all the time. Parking isn't cheap, but my issues with driving are traffic and construction. Once I got so redirected by detours that I ended up at the wrong hospital! There was a show here about Canada's worst driver. The final test was driving around Montreal. 😬

Yesterday I saw the charge nurse. I really like her. She said I looked good. Normally I would find that irritating, but she's the one who kept calling dermatology to see me when she saw my rash. I don't know if she remembers that on my first attempt to get chemo, no one could get the IV in my arm. I was so bruised from the failed attempts. It was Friday afternoon, and she got me scheduled for a port placement the following Monday morning and chemo that afternoon.

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,965
    edited June 2022

Speaking of dishwashers, my new one finally installed today. It's been a year long journey from start to end

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2022

A year!?!?!

It’s time for Celebration!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2022

Santana and Playing for Change performing Oye Como Va 🥰

• sarahmaude
    edited June 2022

Jazzygirl, Happy dishwasher dance! I know you are glad it’s done! It is kind of cool having a basic like clean dishes or a pair of well fitting jeans is so comforting, especially when you’ve been waiting on that comfort.

• minustwo
    edited June 2022

Nice Wrenn. I didn't know them at all. And Santana is always good Serenity.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2022

Now I want a lemon cypress tree and will try not to kill it this time. Need all the phytoncides.

• sarahmaude
    edited June 2022

Just did some readings and Lemon Cypress sounds like an amazingly beneficial plant. And I would love its scent. Do you want it as an indoor or outdoor shrub?

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2022

It won’t survive the winter outside, so it would spend most of its time indoors. I had it once during my extremely black thumb days. It smelled great until it died. 😔

My plant care is much improved, so I may try it again.

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,965
    edited June 2022

Good morning friends- so yes, the process took about a year, but there was some string along from one of the big box stores where I have always gotten my appliances and been happy with the ordering, delivery, and install process. They kept telling me they were getting some of the brand in I wanted but then it wouldn't happen, or they expected me to come to the store right away (hey folks I work FT). I got super busy in the fall with work and parked it to try again in the beginning of the year.

That is when I ordered a unit from somewhere else in town and that took about five months and then there was an issue with something under the sink, so the plumber came and back they came this week. Supply chain and all the rest make everything hard these days, I have found everything to take longer, cost more and no guaruntee of installations or repairs quickly these days. I work in IT and we are building a new hospital and the lead time on IT equipment can be up to a year. The struggle is real!

I upgraded my kitchen and bathroom counter tops and sinks last summer and this was the last part of what I had to finish. I am hoping to take a pause here on any more improvements for awhile.....

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2022

I love when I get the timing just right when steaming eggs in the Instant Pot. It's always easy to peel, but the yolk is sometimes overdone. My fault for ignoring the timer.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2022

Jazzy - Many things are taking longer. Glad your dishwasher trek is over. My husband said yesterday the store was out of Worcestershire sauce. 🤔

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2022

SarahMaude - After reviewing the care required by the lemon cypress, I changed my mind. It will be too hard to keep it alive indoors. I did find this article that lists some houseplants that release high levels of phytoncides. Some I already have. They need to be large (>1’). I have several snake plants over 3’ and an aloe over 2’. My monsteras are between 2-3’. So I will just propagate more. My husband’s workspace is becoming jungle-like. 👍

There’s a link with more plants listed. One is an aloe arborescens. My biggest one has leaves just under a foot. Almost there.

https://medium.com/@horticure/plants-can-save-us-a3e446d6c75c

• sarahmaude
    edited June 2022

SerenitySTAT, very interesting about the natural killer cells and how houseplants stimulate them. I love my two big plants, but if I didn’t look at them every day, I’m afraid I’d neglect them to death. I do want a good aloe plant, but have to be careful how many I take on. AND, your instant pot eggs are beautiful! I too have wandered away and missed a timer causing those lovely darkened yolk edges. Yours are perfecto

JazzyGirl, yes supply chain has continued to be crazy. I was constrained in my dishwasher choices by what was in stock. We did have to go to two stores to find one, but I’m happy with what we found. We can tend to overthink appliance purchases, so this time it was just as well we were in code red status to replace.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2022

Snake plants and aloe handle neglect very well. They both need well-drained soil. Snake plants can do low light. Aloe needs more. I use grow lights on the aloes even in a room with bright, indirect light.

• minustwo
    edited June 2022

I got a fridge in March. Icemaker was back ordered until the end of March. Then back ordered until mid April. Then back ordered until June. Now it is back ordered until the end of July. Thank goodness I still had the old blue rubbermaid ice cube trays in the attic.

• oldladyblue
    edited June 2022

My poor old dog, he's almost 16 now and can't climb up in his chair anymore. This photo is years old and made me smile today. Serenity, I am glad you saw the charge nurse and have good memories from her help. Funny about the worst driver show and Montreal. I get myself lost here in Tampa Bay, used to bother me, now I am just the "Turnaround Queen". I wish there was good public transit here.

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,564
    edited June 2022

OldLadyBlue - Now that photo of your dog is a thin slice of joy, indeed!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2022

oldladyblue - Sweet picture of your dog!

Gorgeous sunny and cool day, but pollen count high. 🤧

• sarahmaude
    edited June 2022

Here is one of my sustaining thin slices of joy. I’m a quilter. I got started with this journey into fiber art after my dad died from Multiple Myeloma in 2014. I was 49, so a pretty late start compared to many. I deconstructed a lot of the plaid shirts I’d given him each gifting occasion, and found that very healing. It’s not a beautiful quilt, but since then I’ve taken classes and really grown in my capabilities and confidence. Here is the center of one I’m doing as a block of the month this year. Yes, that’s my Instagram username. It’s 95% quilting, and not updated much lately because of BC. But I felt like sewing some last weekend, and think I’m up to some more today.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2022

SarahMaude - Beautiful!

MinusTwo - We haven't had a built-in ice maker for a long time. We just use the ice trays, but I hardly ever use ice. I keep a pitcher of water in the fridge. Sometimes I make spa water.

We had chocolatines this morning. 😋

• oldladyblue
    edited June 2022

Sarahmaude Beautiful quilting! So happy you can find some time/energy to continue.

Serenity and Three Thanks for liking my dog photo. His upside-down eyes open sleeping habit always cheers me up.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2022

Cowboy Junkies - Blue Moon ❤️