Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,965
    edited May 2022

Slice of joy- blooms on my gardens

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited May 2022

Gorgeous, jazzy!

Hot day! All dog owners went out early to avoid the heat.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2022

She’s adorable!

• oldladyblue
    oldladyblue Member Posts: 302
    edited May 2022

Yes, I did, my sons took me out for breakfast, my daughter took me out for dinner (she had to work until 3pm) and then she bought me dirt bags from Home D for my garden, and shorts and Tshirts! Very happy day for me.

I am super glad that photos work again on this site. Below is one ceramic bowl I made that was a favorite early on.

• oldladyblue
    edited May 2022

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2022

oldladyblue - Great day with your kids! Your bowl is beautiful.

We got a pomegranate in our weekly produce basket. Since I'm on an Ibrance break due to my low counts, I ate the forbidden fruit Delicious!

• oldladyblue
    edited May 2022

Oh a pomegranate! Sounds lovely. Lots of work to get those little bits free, but great taste! I haven't had one in years. Glad you got one. What is a weekly produce basket? Thanks for the compliment on my bowl. It's crazy how much time it takes to make something starting with a pile of wet clay. But it's fun. I do a ceramics class at the local community college.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2022

Technically the produce baskets are Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) baskets. The baskets are the same for everyone, but change each week depending on availability. My husband goes to a curbside pick-up location. There is an option for delivery for a fee. It's not available in the winter.

I remember in art class making little sculptures from clay. I'm just not very artistic.

We watched the latest Matrix movie. After hearing that it was terrible, our expectations were very low. Therefore, we loved the movie!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2022

My older daughter is coming over for dinner. She's bringing me a lemon balm plant because it was one of the things on my mother's day wishlist. When she asked for it at the store an employee had never heard of it. For a moment she thought I had pranked her. I'm not nearly that creative. My husband would do that. I know. He's done it to me. As I always say: Good thing he cooks. 😉

• oldladyblue
    edited May 2022

Oh Serenity, how funny that someone told you the movie was bad, but you loved it when you saw it! I like that.

I need to eat more produce. I'm sort of stuck in a bad diet.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2022

oldladyblue - It wasn't a specific person, but the headlines for reviews weren't good. But my standards are much lower. ☺️ I just want to be entertained. I loved the first, didn't like the second and third, and was happy with the fourth. For eating more produce, try ratatouille. I don’t like vegetables, either.

Today is gorgeous. It's cool and sunny. My older daughter went home yesterday. Think she stayed an extra night to wait out the heat wave in our air conditioned house. She brought me a lemon balm plant, and I gave her chives and rosemary. My plant skills are improving. This is my first successful rosemary propagation.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,265
    edited May 2022

Serenity - love the stories of the plants. I've never had rosemary succeed, but I do have 7 or 8 "Mexican Mini Tomato" plants that re-seed themselves. They lie dormant in the ground over the winter & come back up in all sorts of places. The fruit is smaller than your thumbnail and oh, so, sweet. I love it when I walk out to water them & just eat fruit off the plants. Since it was already 99 degrees IN THE SHADE here today, the warm tomatoes tasted delicious.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2022

Minus - A freshly-picked tomato is so delicious! I grew some tomatoes last summer (or was it the summer before that?). I gave up since a chipmunk kept nibbling at them. This is the 2nd time I overwintered a rosemary plant. Yay! But sadly, my tarragon plant didn’t survive. It almost made it. ☹️

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2022

Forgot to mention. 99 in the shade??? 🫠🫠🫠

• jazzygirl
    edited May 2022

More blooms

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2022

Jazzy - Those are beautiful!

Had some severe storms just a bit north of us. Lots of power outages. Hope power gets restored soon for everyone.

Here’s a vintage cover of Weezer. What a voice!

• jazzygirl
    edited May 2022

Love PostModern Jukebox. They get great vocalists. Love this!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2022

For the kids…

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2022

• jazzygirl
    edited May 2022

So beautiful. Thank you serenity.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2022

The Uvalde shooting is upsetting enough, but the way that the police mishandled it and tried to hide their cowardice has made it worse.

Not long after we moved to Montreal, there was a school shooting at Dawson College in 2006. My husband worked nearby. I remember not being able to contact him. There were reports the gunman had gone into the metro, so it was very scary.

The gunman started shooting outside of the school before entering. Within 3 minutes, 2 nearby police officers with only handguns responded by following the sound of the gunshots. The gunman used some students as a human shield. Within 4 minutes of arriving, the police shot the gunman in the arm, and then the gunman killed himself.

In less than 10 minutes, the gunman killed one student and wounded 19, some critically. If the 2 Montreal police officers didn't respond so quickly, some of those 19 would have died like those kids in Uvalde.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dawson_College_shooting

Where's the thin slice of joy?

One of the students the gunman held hostage was so inspired by the police, he later became one.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/dawson-college-shooting-10-year-anniversary-james-santos-1.3759260

• oldladyblue
    edited May 2022

Oh wow Serenity. That poem got me. The newspaper article got me. Sometimes all it takes is just one person to make things better.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2022

oldladyblue - Yes, it helps to see good in others!

My husband has been a regular blood donor for years. They’ve reduced the wait time between donations due to low blood supply. He’s an excellent bleeder. At the last donation he was excited that the clinic upped their snack game. No more boxed juice. He got an iced coffee. They know him well. 🧋😋

• jazzygirl
    edited May 2022

Life feels so incredibly hard and very sad most days. I'm in nature this weekend trying to sooth my weary soul. At Canyon de Chelly National Park in AZimage

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2022

Jazzy - You picked a beautiful spot! Remember that you’re not alone.

One of my favorite songs: R.E.M. Everybody Hurts

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2022

Hymn for the Hurting

Angie Wang

By Amanda Gorman

Ms. Gorman is a poet and the author of "The Hill We Climb," "Call Us What We Carry" and "Change Sings."

Everything hurts,
    Our hearts shadowed and strange,
    Minds made muddied and mute.
    We carry tragedy, terrifying and true.
    And yet none of it is new;
    We knew it as home,
    As horror,
    As heritage.
    Even our children
    Cannot be children,
    Cannot be.

Everything hurts.
    It's a hard time to be alive,
    And even harder to stay that way.
    We're burdened to live out these days,
    While at the same time, blessed to outlive them.

This alarm is how we know
    We must be altered —
    That we must differ or die,
    That we must triumph or try.
    Thus while hate cannot be terminated,
    It can be transformed
    Into a love that lets us live.

May we not just grieve, but give:
    May we not just ache, but act;
    May our signed right to bear arms
    Never blind our sight from shared harm;
    May we choose our children over chaos.
    May another innocent never be lost.

Maybe everything hurts,
    Our hearts shadowed & strange.
    But only when everything hurts
    May everything change.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/27/opinion/amanda-gorman-uvalde-poem.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytopinion

• sarahmaude
    sarahmaude Member Posts: 338
    edited May 2022

Clean dishes are my thin slice of joy today. After 2 days of shopping, installing, returning to store for more pieces and parts, our new dishwasher did a beautiful job cleaning the piles of dishes left when the old dishwasher quit mid cycle. This was one of the most frustrating home repair experiences ever. I was able to help a little, but my husband persevered, and around 8 pm last night we had success. You would have thought we were unloading diamonds as we admired our finally-clean very-everyday dishes.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2022

Yay! Great job! We had our kitchen reno a few years ago. We had a few appliances broken or barely functioning. Still appreciate the dishwasher the most.

• oldladyblue
    edited May 2022

I like the recent posts. Makes me happy to see you guys finding joy.

My husband is renovating our room for rent today. The unpaying tenant finally left last week after I screamed bloody murder at him about why was he mooching off of me for so long. His reaction was "I'm NOT mooching off of you!". More yelling from me, he finally got it, and he left 2 days later. Left behind a big mess, holes in the walls, bags of garbage... but Slice of Joy, he's gone and I already have a new tenant to move in tomorrow.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2022

That’s a lot of damage! Glad he left. Hope your new tenant is the complete opposite.

I still get a little joy with my dishwasher. It has a flatware rack at the top. I like to group like items together even rearranging if someone doesn’t do the same. I don’t say anything because if I do my family is snarky enough to do it on purpose. 😏