Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,564
    edited June 2022

Sarah Maude - You might not think that is beautiful, but I do! Sounds like you did something useful and rewarding with your dad's stuff. I still have some of mine in bags from when my dad died in 2013. Stuff that I can't throw out, but will probably also never do anything creative or useful with at this point. Just their "tangibleness" though, is a comfort.

I really think you've got some talent there!

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,965
    edited June 2022

Waffles and ice creme for lunch

• oldladyblue
    oldladyblue Member Posts: 302
    edited June 2022

Yummmy Jazzy!!!!

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited June 2022

Jazzy - That looks delicious!

Port flush and Xgeva shot yesterday. My nurse is excited about her 2nd grandchild this summer. Her 1st was born early in the pandemic, and she didn’t meet him for 6 months. This time she’s spending her vacation with them. I’ll see her afterwards at my next port flush (every 3 months). 👍

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2022

I had 2 cooked eggs, split and topped with sundried tomatoes. Or so I thought until the first bite when I realized I used chili/basil instead. 🔥 Oops! Scraped it off of the other halves.

Hoping extra cream in a second cup of coffee will soothe my tongue.

• sarahmaude
    sarahmaude Member Posts: 338
    edited June 2022

SerenitySTAT, too funny about your eggs! Can a related funny family story be my thin slice today?

So my dad, born in1936, was raised in a time where frugality, humility, gratitude, and stoicism were highly valued. His mom and mine were both excellent cooks. Dad always ate every bite ofwhatever they put in front of him without complaint. Around the time I was in high school, Mom had made French toast for breakfast. She had served him first. He, as always, cleaned his plate without comment. Mom sat down to eat her, took one bite and gagged. She frantically looked around and noticed that instead of sprinkling cinnamon on the French toast as it cooked, she had mistakenly covered in cayenne pepper. Even drenched in maple syrup, it was unexpectedly awful. She looked at Dad and asked, didn’t you notice anything wrong? His answer was, “well, I thought it tasted a ‘little’ different”. So…he was very easy to cook for, but didn’t notice much difference between bad and good. It’s a very representative story of the two of them…Mom a little absentminded, Dad with his own way of sensing his world.

• oldladyblue
    oldladyblue Member Posts: 302
    edited June 2022

Hehehehe Sarahmaude, so funny, and what a good couple they were.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,265
    edited June 2022

Great story sarahmaude. Thanks for sharing. Jazzy - oh that waffle looks delicious. I haven't had a waffle iron in many years. I just make do with French toast or Pancakes. But as a slice of joy...

When we were growing up, the first thing my brother & I were allowed to make by ourselves was waffles. It was an easy recipe and we didn't have to use the stove. So for Mother's Day (maybe I was 8??) We made waffles and served my Mom in bed. Thinking back she was very generous not to freak out that the waffles were extreme green - lots of food coloring.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2022

SarahMaude - Aww, love your parents!

We have a waffle iron. My younger daughter makes incredible brownie waffles.

Ear worm - Johnny Hartman - For All We Know ❤️

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2022
  • SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2022
  • SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2022

This mild pepper spread is much better! The other stuff is not supposed to be used as spread.

• sarahmaude
    edited June 2022

Jazzy, love the waffle photo! I’ve got a really nice All Clad waffle maker. I need to get it out and make a nice fruit and whipped cream covered waffle. Yum! I must be getting old because all these thin slices of joy are bringing back good memories. When my twins were elementary school aged, we were eating at a local diner. The family was chatting as families do, when the red haired one chimed in with an out of the blue, “last night I dreamed I was sitting on a cloud eating waffles.” She was totally serious. I thought it was such a random and whimsical idea. Yes, she is my girl who graduated with an art degree

Serenity, Plants for health again! I still need to find myself a good aloe vera plant this weekend. You are a positive influence on me.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2022

SarahMaude - Eating waffles in the clouds is a great dream! I think my first aloe vera was from a grocery store. It’s the aloe vera barbadensis, the kind most people picture. My other aloe vera is the chinensis variety. It was propagated from a friend’s plant (from IKEA). They grow a bit differently. The first grows bigger, but the second grows and pups faster.

• sarahmaude
    edited June 2022

SerenitySTAT, I noticed a new plant store here in town driving last week. My goal this weekend is to find an aloe plant. I’m going to pay attention to the variety. I’ll post a photo when I bring it home.

• jazzygirl
    edited June 2022

Blooming cactus my slice of joy

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2022

SarahMaude - Yay! It’s an easy plant.

Jazzy - Love the flower! Until recently I didn’t know much about cacti flowers.

My monstera cutting has new roots and has a leaf unfurling. 👍

• jazzygirl
    edited June 2022

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2022

Jazzy - Gorgeous!

Great cover by Depeche Mode. ❤️

• jazzygirl
    edited June 2022

• sallyred
    sallyred Member Posts: 24
    edited June 2022

Lovely, sarahmaude. I'm a weaver, and maintaining some level of creativity while going through BC has been essential to me. I'm in the process of finishing some dish towels inspired by the colors my MO wears (he says, "I just don't think I could wear a white lab coat!"). They're slight victims of chemo brain/brain fog, but I won't know if they're just therapy or suitable for gifting until I finish the last one and take them off the loom.

Serenitystat - Thank you for this forum and for pointing me to the notion of thin slices of joy.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2022

sallyred - Welcome! I bet your dish towels are lovely even if they're not exactly as planned.

• minustwo
    edited June 2022

'Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in…'

Leonard Cohen

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2022

I didn’t watch the party so I’m happy they shared the video of Elton John performing.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2022

Jewel was on a late show last night. She sounded good, but it just sent me back.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2022

I potted up the monstera cutting. The new leaf is unfurling slowly. Its mother plant started a new stem. 🌱🎉

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2022

My husband and I completed a 36-hr fast this morning. We've been inconsistent, but this one wasn't bad. We decided it was because we filled up with brownie cake beforehand. 🤔🍰😁

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2022

New from Bonnie Raitt ❤️❤️❤️

• minustwo
    edited June 2022

Oh Lovely Bonnie Raitt. Thanks Serenity.

• sarahmaude
    edited June 2022

Sallyred, I’d love to see your dish towels. I love perfectly imperfect creations, and have been known to embellish my mistakes.

Serenity, thanks for the music. Bonnie Raitt is so soulful. Would love to sit in a small (smoke free) venue listening to her for hours. And your monstera plant is lovely! I’d like to do a quilt appliqué of one of those leaves. Such a gorgeous shape!

My thin slice today is a little jewel during TC treatment number 3 today. A man older than us by maybe 10 years was accompanied by his wife. They overheard my conversation with my husband about the three sticks it took to get my needle placed today. He shared that he also had been tortured with small and for him, fragile veins.he has a port now, which helps him a lot. He said his prostate cancer had invaded his bladder and he’d had both surgically removed. Has a liver met that is shrinking with Keytruda. He and his wife really seemed to enjoy one another. They remarked that they planned to be going and doing after his fairly recent retirement, even though going to and doing cancer treatment wasn’t what they had in mind. The two of them really seemed to enjoy each other, and it reminded me that inconvenienced time surely wins over no time. I hope they can travel to place they choose soon