Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Options

Comments

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited November 2022
    Options

Minus - No drafts in my time, but there’s always some oppression or injustice. The compression plate stabilizes my abdominal area. It's just bigger than my palm and placed over my solar plexus. There's a brace that's placed over me to screw the plate snugly. It makes it impossible to breathe deeply but I've gotten used to it. One more treatment left!

I love R.E.M. especially early R.E.M. even better unplugged.

R.E.M. - Fall On Me (unplugged)

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited November 2022
    Options

Loving the clips! Fond memories of dancing to "What I Like About You". REM is another favorite of mine - this Live Version of Losing My Religion always gets me going.

• celiac
    edited November 2022
    Options

And, now for both a visual (Chris Isaak - so handsome) and sound feast:

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,102
    edited November 2022
    Options

Hey Celiac - good to see you.

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,314
    edited November 2022
    Options

Minus - I remember when I was in high school, some of the "older boys" (by a couple of years or so) were getting drafted and sent to Viet-Nam. Same with some of my classmates older siblings. I used to send letters and cookies to one of them in Viet-Nam.

Serenity and Celiac - Nice clips. I forget sometimes what a great voice Michael Stipe has. Loved "Losin' My Religion", actually don't recall the "Don't Fall on Me". Very nice. Almost forgot about Chris Isaak too. Is he still around? That was always a very nice and haunting song. (And yes, Celiac, a visual and auditory treat.)

• SerenitySTAT
    edited November 2022
    Options

Celiac - Great video with Chris Isaak!

Threetree - I remember many bands with vocalists trying to sound like Michael Stipe. Fall On Me was an early song. They have so many good ones.

Yesterday was my last SBRT. The radiation effects could continue for 2 more weeks and fatigue even longer. I feel a little discomfort in the areas hit by radiation but not enough to consider meds. Now that's over I'm going through the fridge to eat leftovers from meals I avoided if they were too "heavy". Just polished off some gnocchi. 👍

Joe Cocker - Feelin' Alright 😎

• celiac
    edited November 2022
    Options

Here is a good one for Friday and a bit different version of The Cure's - Friday I'm in Love.

• celiac
    edited November 2022
    Options

OOPS on the above. Here is the clip.

• minustwo
    edited November 2022
    Options

CeliaC - really nice. Thanks.

My earworms this week have been switching between the Everley Brothers "Love Hurts" and "Good King Wenceslas". They seem to be cued to the time of the day each day - with Love Hurts coming as I'm trying to go to sleep and the good king as I'm racing around trying to get everything done.

• threetree
    edited November 2022
    Options

Celiac - I'd never heard that one before, thanks. The orchestra really carries it.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited November 2022
    Options

Celiac - That’s a great rendition! Love the flutes. Quite different from the original.

The weather has changed suddenly here. The first snowfall stuck to the ground. I still have the rosemary plant to bring inside for the winter after it gets a few days of subzero temps.

Here’s a PFC performance of Nirvana’s Come As You Are with a didgeridoo! 😎

• SerenitySTAT
    edited November 2022
    Options

I've been away just resting. Binged a few shows. Wednesday was funny. One more episode of Andor to go. Guess I've been keeping my joys offline.

Came back to post that I've been asked by my old boss to help with a project - a migration! 😏 Seems there's a part where I had set up many of the processes years ago. It involved lots of custom scripting in multiple languages due to data passing and being processed through different applications. They would feel more comfortable if I helped. We'll see. Project won't start until next year. Definitely feels nice to be asked.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2022
    Options

Haven't had the energy to post (low-grade fever) but thought sharing this would be worth the effort.

SNL with Steve Martin and Martin Short was great!

Brandi Carlile - The Story was spectacular! Listened multiple times. ❤️

• threetree
    edited December 2022
    Options

Serenity - So glad to see that you were able to post here, but very sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well.

I saw some "news" headlines over the week-end that made this clip look interesting too. I can't watch now, but will a little later.

Thanks for the clip and feel better soon!

• minustwo
    edited December 2022
    Options

Serenity - I too an worry you're under the weather. Hope it's not long lasting. I will also have to watch later, thanks for posting & good to see you.

Watched a spectacular production of the Messiah by Mercury Baroque with period instruments. Really wonderful. So glad they are still live streaming since I'm not particularly comfortable at concert halls - and I seriously dislike driving downtown at night anymore.

• celiac
    edited December 2022
    Options

Missed Brandi Carlile on SNL. Started watching, but too weary to stay awake. Fortunately, can catch it on one of my streaming services.

Here is an absolutely stunning live performance by her of "The Joke".

• threetree
    edited December 2022
    Options

Watched Serenity's clip. I'd actually never seen or heard of Brandi Carlile before. Not surprising, as I've been living a pretty insulated life for the last many years. Really good voice and can play a some very powerful guitar; lots of talent for sure. Since I had never heard of her, I looked her up and discovered she comes from a small town in my area - who knew? Thanks for helping me to broaden my awareness of just whose out there making music these days (smile/wink).

Celiac - I'll catch your clip too, before the day is out - thanks.

I used to worry that I'd become one of those people who got "stuck" in the 60's and 70's sort of thing, but instead of moving forward, somehow, I've wound up going backward, and have been enjoying all sorts of music from my parents' generation over the last couple of years - not even my kids' generation, but my parents'! Is there something wrong with me? (Ha, ha!)

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,931
    edited December 2022
    Options

Wishing everyone a good holiday season

• starsnow77
    starsnow77 Member Posts: 55
    edited December 2022
    Options

Happy Holidays everyone may you find gentleness and cozy comfort in the days ahead

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2022
    Options

threetree - Glad you liked the video. I first heard Carlile perform a John Prine song after his death. Recently she's been singing with Joni Mitchell. She's great.

Minus - I don't like driving downtown at any time of day. Montreal was the final exam in a TV show on Canada's worst drivers. 😳

Celiac - Unfortunately the video won't play here in Canada, but fortunately there are many videos available. She's great live.

jazzy, starsnow77 - 👋

My fever is gone, but I'm having some discomfort in my liver area. My MO said it could take 3 months to fully recover from SBRT so trying to be patient. He is switching me from Ibrance to Xeloda in January. Will have to look that one up. 😬

Since "it's coming on Christmas…"

Joni Mitchell - River ❤️

• starsnow77
    edited December 2022
    Options

serenity I appreciate the wave! Have a gentle holiday

• threetree
    edited December 2022
    Options

Serenity - I sure hope you feel better soon - sorry to hear recovery takes so long. Yuck!

Thanks so much for the Joni Mitchell. Takes me back to my old "hippie" days. I used to just love "Clouds"; could sing it forever and tried to play it on my guitar. Can't remember now if I ever actually got that one down.

Jazz has actually never been one of my favorite music genres, although there is always some of any genre that I like, but I know that so many of you on here especially like jazz (thinking especially of you here, Celiac). Heard this one the other day on the "oldtime radio" show that I listen to sometimes. Thought it was a nice little Christmas diversion:

My daughters went to schools that annually participated in, and more often than not, won the Lionel Hampton Jazz Festival every year, so this one struck me for that reason too. My younger daughter was in the regular school band, but didn't do jazz band. Many of her friends did, so we were always happy when they won that festival contest!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you who post on this thread - you know who you are!

• minustwo
    edited December 2022
    Options

Serenity - so glad you are feeling some better. Hope the liver issue resolves positively and the new drug treats you gently. Loved the Joni Mitchell.

So ThreeTree - from one old hippie to another!!! I never learned to play the guitar but boy did I sing.

Jazzy - hope your hot springs Christmas trip is delightful.

Presents mailed. Pipes wrapped & plants in for this afternoon's start of the freeze bomb. Happy Holidays to everyone.

• threetree
    edited December 2022
    Options

Minus - My guitar repertoire was pretty much confined to things like "Michael Row the Boat Ashore", "Blowin' in the Wind", and "Kumbaya" kind of stuff. Gave some of my friends and me hours of fun and and attempts to harmonize, though. Yes, weren't those old hippie days fun?

• jazzygirl
    edited December 2022
    Options

Merry Xmas from northern New Mexico. Christmas sunrise is breathtaking

• minustwo
    edited December 2022
    Options

Oh WOW. Thanks for sharing Jazzy.

• jazzygirl
    edited December 2022
    Options

More Xmas photos from the hot springs. Total slice of joy this weekend

• threetree
    edited December 2022
    Options

Great photos -especially the sunrise. Thanks Jazzygirl!

• starsnow77
    edited December 2022
    Options

Nice Photos thank you for sharing Hope everyone had a gentle, cozy holiday.

My oncologist appointment is today. so muc to learn on this path...it's hard to find the positives sometimes...but I am pushing myself to look at the stars. I've been waking up early, with so much on my mind...(radiation starts Friday) it's a whole different perspective in life.....

But stars,, the heck with scientific explanations...I love the magic, sparkle, twinkle wish holding stars. and yes, I bundle up step outside and have a chat with them sometimes.

whatever helps to get you through

I find I am tired of talking about this medical stuff, I find I do not want to tell certain people, many people..those who won't give the response I'll probably need to hear

I'm tired of having to hold my boob, or be protective of it as the sensitivity is raw.........I need a helmet!

But...I have a candle glowing, I have the stars, I have strings of tiny lights set around the house, I have support from this place.....and I have cookies...well ok no, I ate them but...

Happy Holidays Happy New Year Happy new Life

with respect,

amy

• threetree
    edited December 2022
    Options

Starsnow77 - Very interesting about your "star" thing. I too found that after being diagnosed, the stars seemed to have some sort of new significance for me. I've always loved them, but now they just seem more "there" than they did before. I too actually get up early, wrap up, and go out on my apartment balcony just to see the stars if it's clear out (I live in a usually cloudy place). I live in an apartment complex and by around 6 am there are usually others out there walking their dogs, heading off to work, etc., and lights have been turned on in the other apartments, so I try to get up around 5, so that I can get out there and see everything just calm and still before anyone else has "adulterated" the early morning air, stars, and calm - just to enjoy it all in it's natural untouched state. Those stars are wonderful and take me back to my childhood when my father and brother would tell me about all the constellations, that I never did get down; I can still find the big dipper and north star, but that's about all.

I do the same with the snow too. We don't get a lot of snow where I live, but when we do, I like to get out there in the wee hours of the morning, just to see it all in it's pristine untouched state (no footprints, etc.), before anyone else is up and at it, and then sometimes the sky has cleared out and there are stars too!