Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Options

Comments

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,102
    edited October 2022
    Options

LOVE Lou Rawls. Thanks

I'm back to the Fifth Dimension again - One Less Bell to Answer, one less egg to fry, one less man to pick up after, I should be happy - but all I do is cry.

• minustwo
    edited October 2022
    Options

Stopping back to say - I have an OLD car that still has a CD player. Most of the time I play Jackson Browne

But now tonight I'm moved on to the Temptations "Pappa Was A Rollin Stone" All 11 minutes!!! (I think I posted that before)

And a jazz oldie for Jazzy - did you ever listen to Erroll Garner's "Concert by the Sea"? One of my favorites selections - "No, no they can't take that away from me..." But oh... "My Funny Valentine"

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited October 2022
    Options

There are many covers of “My Funny Valentine”. I love the ones by Chet Baker the most.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2022
    Options

Billie Holiday - Do Nothing Till You Hear From Me ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

• minustwo
    edited October 2022
    Options

I like the Frank Sinatra "Valentine". Thanks for the BIllie Holiday. Here's one from Quncy Jones & Phil Collins for Jazzy.

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,314
    edited October 2022
    Options

No music to share here, but I can share a Quincy Jones story. (Wow, hadn't heard or thought about him in a long, long time.) Quincy is from the same area I am from, and his mother, Sarah Jones, was a bit of a "fixture" if you will around downtown. Back in the 1970's I was working for a local government office downtown and the work was much heavier during the fall season. Because of that, we would often work on week-ends during that time, and Sarah Jones (in her 70's at the time, I think) would come into our office on Sundays and place "hexes" on all of us for working on Sundays. She almost always wore a white dress and hat, always looked nice like she was in her Sunday best. You could spot her fairly frequently making her rounds downtown. She was actually very nice, but always had something "kooky" going on in her head that she would approach and/or scold others about. She was never truly threatening and most everyone of us who encountered her regularly found her more on the "amusing" and "charming" side than anything else. I read that she had died years and years ago of course, and there was just one comment in the article from Quincy about his "very dear" "colorful" (my memory of his tone, not his actual words) and loved mother, who had been well known about town.

Well, once again, you all have spurred some real "slice of joy" old memories for me. Thanks!

• minustwo
    edited October 2022
    Options

Threetree - love the story. Thanks for sharing about Q's mother. "Colorful" is a apt word.

• threetree
    edited October 2022
    Options

Glad you enjoyed the story, Minus. The thing that really strikes me now though, when I think back on all of that was how anybody could just walk in off the street downtown and come up 5 floors or how ever many to any government office at any time, on any given day. None of us thought anything about it. It was just the way it was, and open access to government places was considered a positive thing.

No one could ever just pop into any of those offices today like that. Everything is heavily secured now, you'd need to go through a metal detector, show ID and get clearance, and there must be video cameras all over the place there now. What a huge change!

• minustwo
    edited October 2022
    Options

threetree - You are absolutely correct. When I reflect on the these kinds of changes I can get very depressed.

I'm guessing this was in Chicago? It was fun to read how Q's first band at age 14 was with his friend Ray Charles, who was age 16.

• threetree
    edited October 2022
    Options

Minus - It was Seattle. Ray Charles used to play here a lot, though, if I remember what I would hear on the radio correctly. I was way to young to go to any of those kinds of things - especially in the part of town that would have had things like jazz clubs, but I do remember hearing a lot on the pop radio station about how Ray Charles would be playing this place or that.

• minustwo
    edited October 2022
    Options

Thanks for the clarification. I did read that Quicy moved to Bremerton when he was fairly young. Oh goodness yes, I was raised in Northern California and I would never have been allowed to go into San Francisco to any of the clubs. A more current rendition of an old song. I'd like to hear this whole 'album'.

• minustwo
    edited October 2022
    Options

Serenity - how's your daughter?

Jazzy - hope things are going OK with you.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2022
    Options

Threetree - Great story!

Minus - My daughter eventually tested positive for Covid, but tested negative yesterday. She's had a sore throat, but I think now it's sore from the coughing. I don't think she's ever been this sick.

Earlier this week I spoke to the RO about my next treatment plan. I'm to have stereotactic radiotherapy (SBRT) to the lesion on my liver. Been reading up on it since. Still processing. I’m glad local treatment is an option for me.

Scrapper Blackwell - Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out

• minustwo
    edited October 2022
    Options

Silver Dagger

• minustwo
    edited October 2022
    Options

Serenity - so sorry to hear your daughter is having such a hard round. Hope the turning point is soon. And I'm glad local treatment is an option. I'll have to look up SBRT.

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,931
    edited October 2022
    Options

Minus Two - doing okay 🙏

• minustwo
    edited October 2022
    Options

Thanks Jazzy. I did read your post on another thread and glad things are OK.

I'm apparently having a Diana Krall week. This is definitely "mellow".

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2022
    Options

Minus - She’s finally doing better today. I’m glad she’s been vaccinated. Love Diana Krall.

Jazzy - Glad you’re ok. 👍

I have been a longtime fan of Diana Krall’s husband, Elvis Costello. One of his classics that I hear every so often is Watching the Detectives.

• minustwo
    edited October 2022
    Options

Interesting video Serenity.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2022
    Options

Minus - He's an interesting artist. I liked seeing him, Springsteen, and k.d. lang playing with Roy Orbison.

My husband and I binged The Old Man with Jeff Bridges and John Lithgow. 👍👍👍

The hospital called today to schedule my CT scan and MRI for this Thursday. I've gotten in the habit of fasting for all imaging now. I'll do it for the SBRT treatments for consistency.

ETA - Missed my fast last week, but I was able to do it yesterday. Broke my fast this morning with egg salad on sourdough discard flatbread. I would keep a sourdough starter going just to make crackers and flatbread.

• minustwo
    edited October 2022
    Options

Serenity - Thursday like day after tomorrow for the tests? Sending wishes for good luck. Fingers crossed.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2022
    Options

Minus - Thank you! Yup, this Thursday. Not much lead time, but sooner is better. I may be getting the SBRT treatments sometime in the next few weeks. I’m looking at what foods are gentle on the liver. It seems cheeseburgers are off the menu during treatment. ☹️

Cynthia Erivo - Edelweiss ❤️

• threetree
    edited October 2022
    Options

Serenity - Wishing you all the luck in the world tomorrow (well, always, but you know ... especially tomorrow)!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2022
    Options

Threetree- Thank you!

It’s a little cold and rainy. Pup was extra cuddly this morning.

Donovan - Season of the Witch 🧙♀️

• threetree
    edited October 2022
    Options

You're very welcome, Serenity.

Wow, Season of the Witch and Donovan. Takes me back to Jr. High. I always really liked Donovan; thought he was sort of the "ultimate hippie" or something.

We could use a little rain here to clear out some bad wildfire smoke we've got hanging around. It's supposed to happen tomorrow night or Friday, but until then .. cough, cough. A little chill and warm puppy in the morning would be so very nice! (I'd love to get a new puppy, but I'm at that stage where I'm not sure I would outlive it, and don't know anyone in a position to take a pet for me, if anything happened to me.)

• minustwo
    edited October 2022
    Options

I really liked Cynthia Erivo -- Got turned around listening to several of her selections. Lovely.

Rain? What is that? When I moved to Houston it used to cloud up every single afternoon all summer and rain for 30-60 minutes. This summer? Nothing. Yesterday was supposed to be thunderstorms. We got 20 drops (not 20 minutes, 20 drops) Sigh. I've managed to keep my Red Maple tree alive. But since I don't have sprinklers, I'll obviously be re-sodding lawn down the road.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2022
    Options

Threetree - Could you use a filter in your home for the smoke? I've read the DIY box developed for Covid would help with smoke from fires. Our pup is over 10, but still looks and acts like a pup. Our dog before her stopped looking like a pup at a year. Same breed. 🤷🏻♀️

Minus - Love Cynthia Erivo. For your yard have you considered xeriscaping?

Scans done Thursday for SBRT planning. Should have treatments scheduled within 3 weeks. Except for being exhausted I feel fine. The MRI wasn't as panic-inducing as before. I didn't even use Ativan.

The sun has been out, but I turned the heat on last night. My younger daughter was happy because she's been cold. She still hasn't been using her duvet, so I reminded her the duvet doesn't work from her closet. The overnight temperature indoors won't be warmer. I told them the orchids need the cool nights to flower. My husband noted I'm more concerned with the orchids than their comfort. 😁 Well, he's the one who bought the orchids. 😊

The Animals - House of the Rising Sun ❤️

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2022
    Options

I don’t know why the female sign emoji is there. I get an error message when I try to edit it out. If I report it, nothing will change. 😒

• minustwo
    edited October 2022
    Options

Ah - the Rising Sun.....

Actually Serenity your comment about xeriscaping made me laugh. When we moved to Houston in 1973 (from New Mexico), there was always more than enough rain to keep jungles growing. Then first time I flew back into San Francisco to see my parents - which was green compared to NM - I was astounded by the brown/grey "desert" appearance from the air. I was so glad I lived where it was green. Oh well, it's almost time to yank out the plumarias for the winter anyway. I started giving some away several years ago so I only have 14 now, but quite a few are over 8ft tall.

Editted to say - I don't mean the idea is funny or not worthy of consideration, just the personal recollections.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2022
    Options

Minus - I understand. We haven’t lived here nearly as long as you in Houston, but we have noticed the summers have more hot days and winters have less snow cover.

My older daughter is on her way for a visit. It’s been too long. 😊

David Bowie - Changes ❤️