Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Options

Comments

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,102
    edited December 2022
    Options

Serenity - hope you are OK and can check in soon. I miss your song posts.

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited January 2023
    Options

Threetree - I've always liked jazz from the first I heard it. My parents forced piano lessons, but I wish I had kept it up. I had a summer visiting family when a cousin taught me a little guitar (Beatles) and driving a manual transmission. Of those, driving stick was the easiest to learn.

Jazzy - Thank you so much for the beautifully warm photos! We're deep in winter now. 🥶 We lost power this morning and last night for less than 30 minutes each. Not too bad.

starsnow - I hope your treatments are as gentle as possible. Looking at the stars can be very calming. We have too much light pollution where we are, but often a giant, bright moon will shine through.

Minus - Thank you for checking in on me. 😊 The recovery hasn't been smooth, but it's ok now unless I move the wrong way. I'm still waiting to start the new med.

I've been a little anxious about my husband and older daughter travelling soon to visit relatives. My MIL asked for all of us, but understands why she only gets half of us. I've been reading about the best ways to protect everyone from the viruses going around. My MIL even bought an air purifier. Hope that with recent vaccinations, premium masks, and nasal sprays are enough to keep everyone safe from the latest variant, XBB.1.5. So far only my older daughter has had Covid, and I'd like to keep it to once. Fortunately she's recovered fully.

My older daughter has been staying with us during the holidays as a brief quarantine before travelling. It helps that most of her friends also are spending time with family. We've been cooking, baking, and watching lots of great shows. We just watched Bullet Train. 👍

Here's a song from the movie that felt appropriate for making it another year. Stay safe tonight and hope the new year brings us all only good news.

Rare Earth - I Just Want to Celebrate 🥳

• minustwo
    edited January 2023
    Options

Serenity - boy that song is sure relevant for NY's Eve. Toe tapping or dancing in the streets. Woo Hoo!! I might actually make it until midnight since I'm reading a good book. Happy New Year Everyone.!!!

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,314
    edited January 2023
    Options

Serenity - So good to see your post and to hear that you are getting better, even if slowly.

Oh my - guitars and stick shifts. I too wish I'd taken learning an instrument more seriously when I was young. Nothing was forced and my mother showed me a few things on the piano, and I was so proud when every year I could play "Silent Night" with all four parts

• threetree
    edited January 2023
    Options

Serenity - So nice to see your post and so glad to hear you are getting better, even if slowly.

Oh my - guitars and stick shifts. I too wish I'd taken learning an instrument more seriously when I was young. My mother showed me a little on the piano and I remember being so proud that every year I could play "Silent Night" with both hands and all four partsSinging. What she showed me on the piano was also a real interesting way to transition and compare with the guitar - they are actually very related. I used to love to just play around with both the piano and guitar, but was never proficient with either. Same with choir. I loved to sing in the school choir in Jr High, but never continued and never really developed any meaningful vocal abilities. I can carry a tune most of the time, but that's about it.

I first learned to drive on a stick shift, although back in the day, the car I learned on was my father's and his gear shift at that time was "on the column" as they said, as it was attached to the steering column. He taught me to drive on that car. It was easily transferred to a stick "on the floor" and it was always my preferred type of car to drive for years and years. The car I've had for the last 18 years however (yes 18 years!), is an automatic and if I ever get a stick again, I will have to have someone show me all over again how to drive it. I don't know anyone who's around anymore who could.

I totally agree that the Rare Earth clip is so appropriate for the New Year. These new year's as they come and go are now more meaningful than ever to me, and I really take pause to be grateful for each and every one that I make it through. Being grateful for all of you on this thread and elsewhere on this board is also part of my annual taking pause. Thanks so much for the clip, Serenity!

A Very Happy New Year to you Serenity, and all others on this thread - Minus, Jazzy, Celiac, Starsnow, and everyone else - you know who you are!!! (I managed to be awake for the fireworks, etc. I had drifted off while listening to some old time radio shows I hear on Saturday nights, but was awakened shortly before one of them started playing and an old 30's or 40's version of Auld Lang Syne, then all the noise started outside.)

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2023
    Options

Still alive here!

My first stick shift lessons were on an old army Jeep. That was hard. Really got comfortable with it once I regularly drove our manual Jetta, but we switched to automatic when I had severe sciatica.

I'm recovered from the SBRT. My still-high TMs dropped, and my MO decided to keep me on Ibrance. Next appointment is Monday.

Been focused on keeping my family safe from Covid on their trip, but it's my daughter who stayed home with me who caught it. 🤦🏻♀️ She's recovered, and it didn't spread to anyone else here. 🎉 My husband and I haven't been infected so far. Have now bought air purifiers. This DIY public health is exhausting.

I have started working part time for my old company. I negotiated 16 hours max a week all remote and no minimum required. It's been nice. So far 7 hours in a day has been my longest day. I prefer 5-6 hours. I have gone 30 min over my weekly max, but I have no interest in working more. It's nice to see that I can still do the work and my work is appreciated. Don't know how long this will last, but it's fun to catch up with old co-workers and meet new. Missed the “water cooler” talk.

• threetree
    edited January 2023
    Options

Serenity - Thanks for checking in a letting us know that you are OK. Sounds like you are better than OK. I totally get how feeling like you can still do the work, gives you a real boost. Sounds like a real nice set up you have, and on your own terms.

That old army jeep sounds like it would have been fun, and definitely something to remember!

• minustwo
    edited January 2023
    Options

BCO's firewall won't let me make the link live. I hope this isn't an ongoing development.

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited January 2023
    Options

Hello all. My first experience driving stickshift (at age 16) was on a 1961 Triumph TR3 (British motorcar) my Dad purchased and restored. Such a beautiful and special vehicle - pale yellow exterior, with a soft top and a hard top, both of which could be removed so it was a "convertible" and old fashioned window curtains made of plexiglass. Oh what fun!

Here is my all time favority CSNY tune, "Teach Your Children". Such a wonderful group.

• minustwo
    edited January 2023
    Options

celiac - thanks for posting more CSNY. Love the Triumph story

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited February 2023
    Options

Happy Valentine's Day to All!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2023
    Options

Celiac - I missed that painting when I was there! 😁 Must have been in a secret room.

Working part time has been exhausting, but it really feels good to just remember how to do things after all these years. They want me to work more hours, but my family will take away my laptop if I work too long. I negotiated remote only, but I should've negotiated no meetings before 10 am! I've always been a night owl.

Happy ❤️!

A Beatles cover of Baby It's You (RIP Burt Bacharach)

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2023
    Options

Bonus Valentine’s video from Boyz II Men on the Late Show ❤️❤️❤️

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,931
    edited February 2023
    Options

It's Mardi Gras and Carnival time. Here is the world famous Andy Narrell who is the top steel drum player in the world. I bet you didn't know you can play jazz on the steel drums? I learned to play steel drums from someone here who knows him well. Nothing more fun than the steel drums!

• minustwo
    edited February 2023
    Options

Lovely Jazzy. And you learned how to play them?? You go girl.

• minustwo
    edited February 2023
    Options

Serenity- good news about your tests. Sounds like part time work is perfect. Going to quote these words tomorrow at a celebration of life for a good neighbor.

• jazzygirl
    edited February 2023
    Options

Minus Two - I'm sorry for your loss. I hope all goes well 🙏❤️😞

• minustwo
    edited February 2023
    Options

Thanks ladies. His wife was a dear friend & organized a group of women for weekly domino games after my mastectomy in 2011. It's what got me through surgeries & chemo & rads & etc or I might have never left the house. She died in 2017 and we all thought he would quickly follow since it had been true love since they were 16. He called a couple of months after his wife died & asked if we might come to their game room & play sometimes since he really "missed the girls laughing". Good 'celebration of life' today. His sons told stories & everyone laughed.

• jazzygirl
    edited February 2023
    Options

MinusTwo- I am glad things went well for the services. Its never easy saying goodbye and hope the gathering helped to ease everyone's loss.

• jazzygirl
    edited March 2023
    Options

Good morning friends- some of you probably heard jazz sax legend Wayne Shorter left us this week. Several friends posted some of his music this week on FB and never realized how many groups he played with along with his solo career. That includes being on the well known album (Aja) from Steely Dan in the 1970s which is a fav of mine.

But for your listening enjoyment, here is another fav of mine from the old Weather Report jazz group that includes Wayne and also Jaco Pastorius on bass.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2023
    Options

Jazzy - Thanks for the video. I've been a Miles Davis fan and Wayne Shorter was in the Miles Davis Quintet. He wrote Footprints.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2023
    Options

I’ve been working more than my promised 16-hr weeks. Last month I worked an average of 25 hours a week. It’s surprising how much of my focus has returned. I do get tired, but it’s a good tired.

Depeche Mode was on the Late Show recently. Here is their performance of Personal Jesus. I love that it's grittier than the original, but the best part is that David Gahan, the lead vocalist, looks remarkably like Jeff Goldblum. I would watch them in a movie playing brothers.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2023
    Options

Got paid! Payday sushi tonight 😎

Able to pay down mortgage for renewal so that our monthly payment stays about the same. Whew!

• minustwo
    edited March 2023
    Options

Great news Serenity.

Battle of the bands

• threetree
    edited March 2023
    Options

Good for you, Serenity. It sounds like this part-time working has been really, really good for you in more ways than one. Very happy for you!

• sallyred
    sallyred Member Posts: 24
    edited March 2023
    Options

Hello all,

I took a break from the BC.org fora (forums) last July - too many things to catch up on and I'd finished active BC treatment in early June and wanted to step back from it dominating my life.

Still working on the balance, and still catching up (sigh) with work and other aspects of life.

I'd said 'way back when that I'd post pics of some of the weaving I'd done. These dish towels were finished months ago, but today is my first day back posting. The bright colored towels (weave structure is "crackle") were inspired by the colors my MO wears, and woven as appreciation to his mother, who crochets lap robes for any and all in the chemosuite. The others (weave structure "monk's belt") were commissioned by my MO after we'd spent quite a lovely time talking about fiber arts during my appointment. No surprise that their kitchen is SW colors. My sister helped me pick out the yarns, and this was the only way I could use them all. I haven't figured out how to photograph them, but oh well - I'm a weaver, not a photographer.

So good to see some familiar names in this forum. Even without looking at posts for these many months, I have carried the idea of thin slices of joy in my heart and mind.

• jazzygirl
    edited March 2023
    Options

Sally - that is some beautiful work ❤️

• minustwo
    edited March 2023
    Options

Gorgeous work. Thanks for sharing

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2023
    Options

Minus - Love the video!

ThreeTree - Yes! The extra income is unexpected and timely.

SallyRed - That is so beautiful. Thanks for posting the pictures. Glad that you're noticing your thin slices of joy.

Jazzy - Hi!

I worked 36 hours last week. A little too long, but I have appointments this coming week. I block out these times so work knows not to schedule meetings with me. Monday is a hospital day. I get my Xgeva shot Tuesday evening and blocked out Wednesday morning for extra downtime. I'm glad they agreed to part time because now I don't have to worry about needing time off which is why I quit before.

It's also nice to get positive feedback about my work. After a few years off work and having ongoing treatment, I still got it. 🤓

Talk Talk - It's My Life

• jazzygirl
    edited March 2023
    Options

Good afternoon ladies and happy daylight saving week to those of you in countries who do this thing. Who needs a nap?

Hi back Serenity!

One of my long time favorite jazz singers, Bobby Caldwell has "left the stage" as a music friend shared today on FB. I have a lot of his music since some of his early hits in the 1970s. Here is a fav video of one of the songs you may know well