Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Options

Comments

• everymoment
    everymoment Member Posts: 6,656
    edited March 2017
    Options

Divine..thanks for sharing your private view - taking the time to enjoy that slim slice of joy and then sharing it will all of us. Good way to start my day - thanks.

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited March 2017
    Options

jcn - Have a great day at work!

glennie - Did you howl? Loopy

Divine - Love your little garden and your husband's response! Thanks for sharing.

Freya - Welcome!

We have a rare snow day. Everyone is home. Usually, there's no one home when I get up, but today I woke to the sound of laughter. When I came downstairs, teen daughter was in my chair with the sleeping pup tucked in next to her.

• Freya
    Freya Member Posts: 329
    edited March 2017
    Options

Thanks for the welcome Serenity. Laughter - the best sound. The giggles of a toddler can lift anyones mood. Enjoy your snow day, it's turned into family day Smile

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited March 2017
    Options

hi Freya, I'm new here too but welcome to this uplifting thread.

Serenity, love the irenic goldens, and pretty little idyll, Divine.

Talk about looking up! I've shared this pic on BCO but not here (I think). Pardon if a dup.

Here's where I walk at noon on break from work. The WI state Capitol is 100 years old and beautiful beyond words. Pix don't do it justice. I feel incredibly fortunate to inhabit this place and have been moved to tears.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,130
    edited March 2017
    Options

Wow, badger, your state capital building is magnificent in splendor. How spectacular that this is where you go every day for work. I can just imagine what it feels like to walk into and throughout a building with all these stately proportions and incredible architecture.

• Freya
    Freya Member Posts: 329
    edited March 2017
    Options

Badger that is magnificent. So many of our new buildings just do not have the character, beauty and craftsmanship of the older ones.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2017
    Options

badger - That is beautiful!

Good news on sciatic front. I was able to do hold this pose for a minute each side. No pain! I remember having trouble just lifting my hand and knee a couple of inches off the floor.

• badger
    edited March 2017
    Options

Thanks, I work near but not in the Capitol. This is my fave of the four glass mosaics.

When it's nice, I walk outside on the Capitol Square. When it's crummy, I walk inside. Great mental break.

BTW, Madison is the only state capital on an isthmus!

• divinemrsm
    edited March 2017
    Options

Badger, it is great that you take advantage of access to the capital building, very smart of you.

Freya, I agree with you about the buidlings of old vs. newer ones. I sometimes go on Pinterest and look at home exteriors with beautiful architecture.

Serenity, "strike a pose!"

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2017
    Options

badger - That's an excellent habit.

Divine - I'm trying! ;)

Some little slices of joy:

1) No pain meds last night. The knot in my hamstring that's been there for years is barely there. Still taking Lyrica until I have greater ROM.

2) Saw cute little birds outside this morning.

3) The clementines I ate earlier tasted so sweet that I closed my eyes to savor them.

4) I keep bowls of pre-cooked potatoes/eggs in the fridge for quick solo lunches. Today I cut up the potatoes and roasted them with rosemary butter. I usually use duck fat. Yummy either way.

• glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,831
    edited March 2017
    Options

Divine: I LOVE your pond. it is so pretty.

Badger: the capital building is amazing!

Serenity: YAY for the less pain and being able to hold that pose!!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2017
    Options

They're so cute!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2017
    Options

This is cool.

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited March 2017
    Options

Serenity, love the Hesse quote. When we were little girls, if it ever started raining when my sister and I were out with our mother, she would always say "Lift up your faces girls, like grateful flowers!" I say it to my daughters now (they think I'm bonkers, but I'm sure they'll say it to their daughters one day too....)

My DH loves Hesse, his favourite book in the world is Narziss and Goldmund (it's quite short and worth a read).

My joys today were a lovely walk in the woods with my friend and our 3 dogs, a great massage in the afternoon and a bowl of raspberries, blueberries and watermelon in between. I try to eat fruit only in season but sometimes imported stuff is a nice treat especially when it's cold and windy out. X

PS love your pond Mrs

• badger
    edited March 2017
    Options

Am discovering the readers at new job. Brought in three books to share yesterday and brought one home.

• jcn16
    jcn16 Member Posts: 102
    edited March 2017
    Options

Badger, LOVE the capital building photo! Thanks for sharing. Perhaps I'll try to find a beautiful church near my office to visit at lunch. The walk there will be my exercise. Where I work is close to downtown but separated by a dangerous boulevard so getting there on foot isn't a possibility. But if I drive there are many wonderful old churches downtown.

My slice of joy this week came from my friend's husband who shoveled my driveway while DH and son are in FL. Tonight I'm having them both for dinner to say thanks. We're having chicken Marsala which I love but my family doesn't.

• badger
    edited March 2017
    Options

I changed my avatar from the little pink walking girl to the Liberty mosaic. It's kind of hard to see but I know what it is and it makes me smile. Going to look for a pic of one of the badgers that grace the entryways to the four chambers on the third floor. (Senate, Assembly, Supreme Court, and Public Hearing Room). That would be an excellent avatar!

• badger
    edited March 2017
    Options

This one's too far away but provides context.

• badger
    edited March 2017
    Options

Closer but not feeling it....Will leave Liberty up for a while.

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited March 2017
    Options

Ah I love that badger, the facial expression is classic, thanks for sharing!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2017
    Options

ScotBird - Love your mother's saying! I haven't read Narziss and Goldmund, but would love to read it.

jcn - Chicken Marsala is delicious!

badger - Beautiful entryway!

Had some intense spasms in my left forearm. Those were new. Cured by meds, puppy cuddles, and sleep. All better now.
  • jcn16
    jcn16 Member Posts: 102
    edited March 2017
    Options

On CBS Sunday Morning there was a piece on Denmark as the happiest nation. It talked about "Hygge." Think I'll have another cup of tea. 🙂

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2017
    Options

jcn - I watched it this morning while drinking my coffee. Smile

Here's a link to the segment: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/welcome-to-the-happies...

I also like the Law of Jante. I'm trying to simplify. I like when I can resist buying something when I realize I don't need it.

• gardengypsy
    gardengypsy Member Posts: 499
    edited March 2017
    Options

I think Law of Jante is perfect!!

I bought a braided rug this week for my hygge. Simplifying is a difficult practice, Serenity!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2017
    Options

It is difficult! But we'll keep trying!

It was beautiful today. I was out with my husband running errands. Enjoying the sun's warmth on my face whenever I could.

• everymoment
    everymoment Member Posts: 6,656
    edited March 2017
    Options

badger, like your new avatar.

Serenity...puppy cuddles and sleep are clearly simple pleasures. I've recorded Sunday Morning and will watch tomorrow morning

• divinemrsm
    edited March 2017
    Options

I'm a big, no, huge fan of simplicity. The past several years, dh and I have made conscious choices to simplify all we can. Getting his 88 year old mother to move across the street from us two years ago meant dh and I no longer had to contend with helping her maintain her four bedroom home in the country. Last year, dh and I sold a rental home we own, what a relief. I make family gatherings much easier on myself, simplifying menus. Decluttering the house. Cutting back to basic cable; why pay for all those extra channels we don't watch? And of course, paying someone else to do my taxes.

Honestly, I never realized how strung out my life was until I started cutting out the unnecessary stuff.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2017
    Options

Good work, Divine!

Around Christmas I make lemon curd using Meyer lemons. I don't can. Instead I keep a jar in the freezer and take out a little at a time. I just ate some big, juicy strawberries dipped in lemon curd. Delicious!

Last night my older daughter came down saying the back of her neck was really tight. I knew immediately the pose that would help and talked her through it. When she got up, the tension was gone. I was glad to make her feel better, but I loved her amazement that it worked. Reminds me of when the kids were really young and thought I was omniscient.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2017
    Options

• badger
    edited March 2017
    Options

Happy Spring! Wore my leaf-green sweater set to work today.