Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
What part of day-to-day life during your breast cancer experience has been most challenging for you? Take our poll.

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited March 2017

badger - Happy Spring! We still have snow-covered lawns, but the roads are clear.

Lingered in bed enjoying my mattress. We bought it before treatment started. I needed a firm mattress that kept me still when my husband got in bed. He outweighs me by 100 lbs. I felt like Goldilocks testing several beds until we found one that was just right.

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited March 2017

I totally agree Serenity. On work days I always set my alarm for 30 minutes before I need to get up. I love that luxurious feeling of being warm and comfortable and not needing to move or do anything. It's a perfect start to the day. X

• glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,833
    edited March 2017

My brother found a new job!!! **happy dance***

• jcn16
    jcn16 Member Posts: 102
    edited March 2017

Glennie, congrats to your brother!!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2017

ScotBird - It does feel so good!

glennie - Great news! ThumbsUp

I made Lemon Pull-Apart bread for the first time. It's a test bake. I need to bring something to a friend's house later this week so I thought I'd try something new. For my friend, I'll make an herb version. I'm out of lemons now. I'm glad I tried it first. The assembly requires more precision, but it passes the taste test. I'm so full from sampling!

• gardengypsy
    gardengypsy Member Posts: 499
    edited March 2017

Serenity~ You are quite the baker. It sounds like therapy or are you a professional?

Scot~ I am taking an interest in naps. Delish!!!

Congrats to everyone who found a thin slice of joy today, including Glennie's brother.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2017

Not at all a professional! My SIL taught me how to bake Parker House rolls, a holiday meal staple, over 20 years ago. It probably took me 8 years to get comfortable baking because I only did it a few times a year. Now it's a definite cheat because I avoid most grains. I do find it therapeutic so I haven't given it up.

I saw in a documentary on food and obesity, a doctor said you can eat anything you want as long as it's made from scratch. I'm assuming I don't need to grow/mill my own wheat though. :)

My ROM is getting better. I'm having much less pain in my leg, but my left arm and shoulder are getting tight. The physiotherapist said it's expected after radiation so I need to keep up the stretches. I'm able to do more exercises, but getting more tired as a result. Time for a nap soon.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited March 2017

Naps are good and so is ROM, new jobs, and anything lemon.

Turned in an assignment and supv said keep up the good work.

ThumbsUp A little praise goes a long way!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2017

And a good nap it was! Fell asleep with the pup in my arms.

It's nice to be appreciated at work. Good work!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2017

In this house, every day is puppy day!

• gardengypsy
    edited March 2017

Cloudy the Cat and Scrappy the Chihuahua are teaching me their fine napping skills.

• jcn16
    edited March 2017

Love the puppy photo!

Was at Costco yesterday and found a new book by one of my favorite authors, A Piece of the World, by Christina Baker Kline. It's sitting on my nightstand along with three other books. Before BC I rarely made time to read, now I do every night even if it's only 10 minutes. Joy!

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,499
    edited March 2017

jnc, there is nothing like a good book.

I have been under the weather for several days. Nausea, body aches, fever, cough. Bleh. No joy there.

I checked my account at the bank amd found my federal and state tax refunds have already been deposited to my account! It was a much quicker turn around dealing with an accountant rather than TurboTax. I still marvel at hpw easy that made tax season for me this year!

• everymoment
    everymoment Member Posts: 6,656
    edited March 2017

divinemrs...money in the back is a good slice of joy to counteract being under the weather. Wishing you healthier days ahead.

jcn16 - I will order that book - let us know what you think of it and maybe you can also post your review in the book lovers thread.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2017

Divine - Hope you feel better soon.

This got my pup's attention. She looks at the iPad and tilts her head.

https://twitter.com/hamillfriends/status/844988014...

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2017

My shower stall has a window that gets afternoon sun. I love feeling the sun's warmth while showering.

• badger
    edited March 2017

Divine, hope you get to feeling better soon. Glad for speedy refund, no flags on your account LOL.

Serenity, we get afternoon sun in the living room so a wonderful place for houseplants and naps.

Our bathroom has an overhead heat lamp, soooo cozy when I'm just out of the shower. I turn it off pretty fast, though. Don't want to trigger a hot flash.

Got a compliment from my supv's supv on that assignment, and her grumpy boss was nice to me today, so we all got a thin slice today. I'm happy to vindicate their most excellent hiring decision.

• jcn16
    edited March 2017

Theres a book lovers board too??? First I have to finish Hidden Figures.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2017

badger - We live in a townhouse, but we still get a lot of sunlight. I love it.

Qi Gong instructor: "All the magic is in the mundane."

My life is full of mundane. I'm enjoying these little moments with my family. Cuddling with the pup before physiotherapy.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2017

Woke up to snowfall. Rooftops are covered again.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,499
    edited March 2017

DEMO BEGINS!

Guys with big heavy machinery showed up in the alley this afternoon and the process has started.

For me, this is so many slices of joy I'm havin' a whole pie filled with it!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2017

ThumbsUpThumbsUpThumbsUp

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2017

Physiotherapy has been going really well. My next appointment is in a month! I mentioned the tightness I was getting in my shoulder and the spasms in my forearm. She said it's probably the nerve tightening. She said to bend/straighten my arm in different directions to stretch the brachial nerve. I had focused my stretches on having a straight arm. I'm pleased with the progress overall. Life is much better with less pain.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2017

I would like to swim with this otter.

• badger
    edited March 2017

jcn16 yes there is a Book Lovers Club thread, most excellent. In same forum as this thread, Moving Beyond Cancer. I'll bump it up for you. I'm on the library waiting list for Hidden Figures and should have soon. Meantime I'm going to check out the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. Caught the last few shows of season 1 on cable TV and very interesting concept - a married World War II nurse who in 1945 finds herself transported back to the Scotland of 1743, where she encounters the dashing Highland warrior Jamie Fraser and becomes embroiled in the Jacobite risings. Season 2 starts this fall and I'd like to be read up by then. :-)

Love all the Thin Slices of Joy. It's appreciating the little things, like DH leaving enough milk for my morning coffee.

• gardengypsy
    edited March 2017

Just started with my new PT. New exercises.

I think it's helping with the pain lready.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2017

Yay! ThumbsUp

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited March 2017

Great news Mrs M I'm enjoying your demo from my remote location. Serenity, I'm also enjoying your liberation from sciatic pain. Gorgeous sunny day here. This afternoon we sat outside on the grass eating ice cream!

• jcn16
    edited March 2017

Thanks Badger! I'll have to check out that thread. Have heard about your show, but haven't watched it. Sounds intriguing.

10 days ago we had more than a foot of snow and today it was 70 degrees! Really enjoyed being outside in between my errands. Used up $45 in store credit I had at Marshalls. Baked for the first time in months. Nice day. Smile

• glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,833
    edited March 2017

Hidden Figures was a great book and a great movie. Enjoyed both of them.

Divine,, I KNOW you are thrilled that demo has begun!! Hope you are feeling better.

My pup and I enjoyed National Puppy Day too.

waving to all!!