Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited August 2017

Great job on the weight loss! I try to avoid chips after reading how food manufacturers developed a way to make you want to keep eating them. Then one made it into a slogan!We don't eat much gluten, but we've been indulging too often lately. During chemo I was eating to keep weight on, but I've had a hard time letting that go. I'm hoping to lose 10 lbs. Whole 30-Day 2 done!

My sleep is improving. I don't get as tired. Progress!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2017

Yesterday, as we pulled into a parking lot, I noticed an elderly man on the sidewalk smelling flowers along his path. My husband followed my gaze and asked, "Has he stopped to smell the flowers?" just as the man let out a giant spit.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2017

Nope, I'm good where I am.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2017

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2017

Whole 30-Day 3 done! I watched Tina Fey on SNL Weekend Update. As she scarfed a sheet cake, I got a craving. I don't even like cake that much.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2017

Today is day 5! Last night my older daughter made cupcakes to bring to a party. My younger daughter ate all of the cupcakes that didn't fit in the container. She was saving me from temptation. It was a selfless act.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2017

Scrambled eggs with sundried tomatoes were delicious! Happy Sunday!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2017

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2017

What's the deal with avocado toast?

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2017

Cleaned to Santana, relax to Rickie Lee Jones.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2017

Day 6 done! My kids made pancakes. I had none. Iron will, I have.

• everymoment
    everymoment Member Posts: 6,656
    edited August 2017

I just Googled Avocado Toast - wow so many sites describing it - who knew - not me.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2017

I like guacamole, and I tried to eat avocado in other recipes since it's a good fat. After awhile, I got tired of it. Plus, I read that Mexico started clearing forests to grow more avocados. I don't want to contribute to that. Now, we get an avocado when we want guac. It doesn't happen often.

Any Game of Thrones fans? That episode tonight was ThumbsUp.

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited August 2017

It's the last day of the school holidays! I'm excited because my youngest is going to senior school for the first time tomorrow, and my oldest has left school and is going to University.

Well done Serenity, it's hard to stick to diets, for me it gets easier as time goes on. I've been on mine for 3 months now. I have had a few lapses, but mostly I think of it as a permanent new way of eating and it's making me feel a lot better. I've thrown away lots of old clothes now, that I'll never wear again, which is nice. I want to lose another few pounds, and I'm determined to keep them off.

I'm a fan of avacado, I like it with scrambled eggs and I like making guacamole too. Sorry to hear about the Mexico thing though, that's bad news indeed, I had no idea. I'll try to cut back!

I love GoT but am only on season 2. I don't have much time to watch TV, I have to be careful not to listen to any chat about latest storylines! I'll let you know when I've caught up!

X

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited August 2017

My thin (actually rather thick) slice of joy today - took the day off work and observing the eclipse from the comfort of our patio. Blue sky, no clouds, 90 degrees, with a slight breeze. We will get 91% of the eclipse. Never seen one before - so fun!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2017

Celia - I didn't see much, but I have seen it in the past. A friend sent me some pictures her husband took through his telescope.

imageimage

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited August 2017

We saw a thin semi-circle of the top half of the sun - much more "coverage" than I thought we would see. DH and I had a wonderful time observing. Nature is awe-inspiring!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2017

National Geographic has some amazing photos of the eclipse.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/photography/proo...

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2017

ScotBird - Those are big changes for your kids! My younger daughter is back to college today. My older one starts back in September. The university waits until September to save students August rent. Doesn't make a difference to us, but it's really nice for out-of-town students. Nice work keeping the weight off. I'm down 4 lbs. in a week. This Whole 30 is magic! Don't worry - I won't post any GoT spoilers here.

My daughter is making mug cake. She's testing my resolve. I just had some pistachios, so I'm not hungry at all.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2017

Went to the office today, so pup cuddled with my older daughter.

In blissful sleep.

• everymoment
    everymoment Member Posts: 6,656
    edited August 2017

Serenity...too cute - amazed that you could get that photo without her/him waking up. Also, great new avatar.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2017

Being loving and adorable is exhausting for her.

I loved the picture of the eclipse showing light coming out of darkness.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2017

Did a mint mask with younger daughter. Pup climbed onto my lap hoping for a taste, but I held her back.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2017

Day 12 of Whole 30! I'm down 5 1/2 lbs. My husband is down 8 lbs, and his blood pressure dropped to normal within a week of starting. Apparently, checking weight is against the rules, but I still do it about once a week. I have a work trip in early September. I may have to cut the Whole 30 to Whole 23. I'll try to be compliant, but no guilt if I break a few rules. My older daughter has been making desserts, and I haven't touched them.

Been working lots of hours. I get tired, but I'm still able to work. It's only been in the past month that I've felt this way. I've started skipping Lyrica every other day. That may be lifting some of the fog.

My younger brother called the other day. He made a short joke as only brothers can do. It felt good to let out a big laugh. I forgive him for his teen years.

Got coffee in hand and pup nestled close.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2017

Chuck Jones played a big role in my youth.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2017

Elephant joy!

• pingpong1953
    pingpong1953 Member Posts: 275
    edited August 2017

"Go ahead, bounce" made me laugh out loud. Thanks!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2017

pingpong -You're most welcome!

I've been working too hard. Since I work from home I can work anytime. Until recently I haven't had the desire or energy to work. Now I'm having trouble not working. Good problem to have, but I've got to pace myself. Tomorrow is an off day because I've got a checkup with my MO and my kinesiologist at the hospital.

Game of Thrones season finale in 15 minutes! ThumbsUp

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2017

Good checkup today. My weight is down, my arm measurements are good, and blood work is normal. Follow up with my kinesiologist is in November, and I'll see my MO in 4 months. I still need to improve my sleep, but I'm very lucky not to have other issues. My MO asked about my sciatic pain, and I told him it's improved so much I'm almost off Lyrica. He plans to order a scan at my next visit. By then it will be 2 years since my mastectomy and a year since my last bone scan.

We arrived early at the hospital so we walked around. I like going to the pediatric section because they have a store for kids. While there I overheard the cashier talking to a customer about Game of Thrones. I couldn't help but join them. That was fun.

I also stopped at a boutique (in the hospital) and bought a scarf and earrings. I plan on using the pashmina/silk scarf on the plane in case I get cold.

On the train ride home, I came up with a couple of ideas for a current project. I wrote it down on my phone. I should ride trains more often.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2017

Awwww!