Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited November 2018

Thanks, CaliKelly! I’m not quite free of fear. More like laughing in spite of the fear. Medicating

• SerenitySTAT
    edited November 2018

Not fasting today! Coffee with cream tastes luxurious. ThumbsUp

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited November 2018

congratulations serenity 3 years

• SerenitySTAT
    edited November 2018

Thanks, ScotBird! You’re nearing 3 years as well. ThumbsUp

• SerenitySTAT
    edited November 2018

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2018

I'm done providing free tech support to my kids. They now pay me in pies. Loopy

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2018

• TaRenee
    TaRenee Member Posts: 406
    edited December 2018

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2018

Thanks for all the laughs.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2018

This is great!

• scotbird
    edited January 2019

It’s been over 3 years since my diagnosis! Still cancer free! Many days I don’t think about cancer at all. Just enjoy life, try to be healthy, exercise every day, eat well, see lovely friends and family, work hardand laugh a lot. X

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2019

ScotBird - Yay! That's a good life!

So, I haven't been posting. One of my cancer markers has been trending up. My chest/ab CT scan was clear. I had a head CT scan done and have a PET scan scheduled Mar 1. I'll meet the MO on Mar 8 to get the results from both scans. The MO thinks there's something, so it's been stressful. I appreciate that he's straightforward. He told me whatever it is, he'll fix it.

In the meantime, I'm working a lot. Too much maybe. At least there I have control. I'm working on a project with a new coworker. I've found that she's making mistakes that I don't feel can be resolved with more training. These mistakes are adding to my workload. I'm not her boss, but I can minimize her role in the project. Is it ok for me to like that people are afraid to piss me off? Not that I'd go postal, but I don't like my time wasted (by other people). No one knows how much you have left, right?

I have a work trip to go to San Francisco. I'll stay a few extra days, and my husband will join me for a long weekend. I'm really looking forward to that.

I'm trying to have fun, but it takes more effort. We've decided to go on more vacations. I haven't been using my vacation time. I think we'll try for Norway this year. Last year was Rome/Geneva/Montreux.

Today's joy was my hair stylist noticing I have more hair. Good to know all that money and time spent on the laser helmet has been worthwhile. Woohoo!

Medicating

• CaliKelly
    CaliKelly Member Posts: 198
    edited February 2019

HAIR!!! You gotta go have some fun!Enjoy some time away on a mini vacation. Eat some good seafood and sourdough bread in San Francisco. I take a "staycation " just ride my bike down to the beach, and zone out😄

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2019

Love staycations! I'm taking a day off during March break to be a tourist in Montreal. I have a gift card to Gibby's to use up.

• scotbird
    edited February 2019

So sorry about the scans. That is a long time to be waiting for results. Hope anxiety not too bad.

Planning and appreciating joyousness is dropping down my agenda, and I need to get back on track.

Co-workers can be so annoying, but can also be lovely. I’m trying to do more projects with the good ones, and fewer with the annoying ones! X

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2019

ScotBird - I have some great co-workers, so this one person stands out. I'm keeping her away from my part of the project. Apparently I've upset her. That was not my intention, so I'll try to make nice, but I will still minimize our work together. The PET scan is this Friday with results next Friday. I could've gotten an earlier appointment, but I would've had to go to a different hospital. Plus, I needed a small break from all hospital appointments. Work and San Francisco has kept anxiety down, but I have started taking Ativan as well. ;)

I don't know what the PET scan will find, but I try not to spend much time thinking about it. If I progress, then I'll deal with it. It helps to talk to one of my coworkers who was diagnosed with Stage IV BC a year before me. She's my hero. She's always traveled, so I'm trying to learn from her. Next month she's going to the Caribbean for 3 weeks. She'll have her laptop so she'll work for about a week while away.

I was in San Francisco for work and vacation. I loved all the food and being out of the snow. One day we were in our hotel room and opened the window to listen to a street musician playing Spanish guitar. We loved it so much, we ate dinner outside so we could continue to listen to him. It was chilly. No one else ate outside. It was wonderful.

• scotbird
    edited February 2019

Good luck with the scan results Serenity. X

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2019

Thanks, ScotBird! Had my scan yesterday. I'll get the results next Friday.

Today's very thin slice of joy is NOT having any bruises or pain from yesterday's needle stick or the major fall when I slipped on the icy sidewalk. One of the few times I'm glad to be short.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2019

I excel at pointless activities.

• scotbird
    edited March 2019

Oh dear sorry about the fall. Keeping fingers crossed for your results. My slice of joy today was discovering amazing Thai lentil soup around the corner from my work. Best lunch I’ve had for ages.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2019

Thanks, ScotBird! That soup sounds delicious. My husband makes mulligatawny, a red lentil soup.

Well, good news is my CT/PET scans are clear. Bad news is my TM is still going up. :( That's the only thing wrong. I have no pain.

I'm now waiting to get scheduled for a vaginal ultrasound to check for ovarian cysts. I have an appointment with my MO in 3 weeks. Yuck!

I've taken the past 2 days off. Yesterday was relaxing, but today was stressful. Had a good nap when I came home. Tomorrow we'll see the new Marvel movie. We have to make plans to travel this summer. I can't let the worry stop me from enjoying the now.

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited March 2019

that's great news about the clear scans Serenity! Maybe the TMs are just unrelated wierdness - let's hope

• scotbird
    edited March 2019

Moth, Serenity, we will definitely hope and assume it’s unrelated weirdness. When I was just recovering from all the treatment a few years ago I was constantly stressing about various ailments and getting stuff checked out at the hospital and was convinced I had ovarian cancer at one point because of stomach ache, so I have had that vaginal scan. It was yuck but great for peace of mind to have a definitive all clear. Do tumour markers often give false positive results? Do yours get monitored regularly as a standard practice My slice of joy today was a lovely swim at the outdoor pool in the sunshine. X

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2019

ScotBird, moth - Yes! Hope it's unrelated weirdness. We're hoping it's a cyst that can be plucked out! My TMs have been monitored since active treatments ended. They've been stable until recently, and one is trending up. I refuse to look at the possibilities. I prefer to wait to hear from my MO with a solution.

Captain Marvel was great and a nice distraction! Go see it.

• TaRenee
    TaRenee Member Posts: 406
    edited March 2019

I went to see Captain Marvel on Sunday. It was really good. A very nice distraction and a break from all the running around I’ve been doing lately.

• moth
    edited March 2019

The birds are back! Thrushes and robins and flickers have been making beautiful noise in the mornings the past couple days.

I have tix for Captain Marvel for this weekend

• scotbird
    edited April 2019

I have found a great Pilates Reformer class. Really seems to help my sore hip. I’m having an MRI scan in a couple of weeks though for a better diagnosis. Betting on it beingarthritis. X

• scotbird
    edited June 2019

Finally got the results of my MRI which confirmed that I need a hip replacement. This might not seem veryjoyous but I’m very happy as it seems to be a straightforward operation which for most people is very successful and leaves them pain free. So I can’t wait!

• moth
    edited June 2019

ScotBird - I am happy with you that it's arthritis and needing a joint replacement! It really is good news! The people I know who have had it, had really fast recoveries and excellent recoveries. You'll be walking on day 1 or 2 post op! I hope you don't have to wait too long for the surgery.

• JackyR
    JackyR Member Posts: 39
    edited June 2019

Hi All! I am approaching 9 months post-chemo. I feel I’m doing pretty good. I have my days, of course, but overall, feeling strong most days. I have my first PET scan after chemo scheduled for later this month. Has anyone got that? What can I expect. I’m a bit nervous.