Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited September 2019

There was a strong gust of wind andI managed to catch a falling leaf in the park this morning when I was walking my dog. When I was a little girl I truly believed that if you could catch a falling leaf your wish would come true! So I made a wish....

• mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857
    edited September 2019

ah, Scotbird, that's lovely! I won't ask what you wished for. :)

As for me, this morning I had English class. (My husband and I volunteer for a class teaching English as a second language to adults.) After class I had several errands to run. One was to drop off unused prescription drugs at the police station, where they have a locked box to collect them, to disposed of safely. When I got out of the car to do that, it was just breezy enough, and my hair was just long enough, for me to feel the wind in my 1/4" hair. It felt amazing.

• Yogatyme
    Yogatyme Member Posts: 1,793
    edited September 2019

Serenity, the cross over stretches help me quite a bit as does pidgeon pose from yoga. What is nerve flossing

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited September 2019

ScotBird - Hope your wish comes true!

MountainMia - Hope you get bed head soon!

Yogatyme - Nerve flossing is a way to release tension in the nerve by gently pulling it back and forth. I like this version for sciatica versus the common seated version. Do about 10 times slowly. Stop if pain increases.

Joy - Less sneezy today!

• Yogatyme
    Yogatyme Member Posts: 1,793
    edited September 2019

Thanks so much, Serenity!! I’ll definitely try it.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2019

Hope it works for you!

Listening to some music. Older daughter described it as my 80s emo music. There are some songs that as soon as they started playing, my friends and I rushed to the dance floor. These songs still make me dance wherever I am.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2019

Well, I met with my MO. After 4 weeks my 15-3 dropped to 811. My last CT scan showed a spot on my liver that my MO would ignore except now. He wants a liver MRI, and I'll see him again in 4 weeks.

My hospital has developed a new app. This is a year of my 15-3 values. It's been above normal for about 18 months, but scans haven't shown anything definitive.

I'll continue the exemestane, Qigong, and fasting. The TM started dropping after I began Qigong and extended fasting. My fasts have been at least 15 hours overnight. Twice a week I try to fast about 36-40 hours.

Already dreading the MRI.

Joy - Train fare was free due to climate march. I would have preferred to march.

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,311
    edited September 2019

Serenity I am doing intermittent fasting too. That's fabulous to see the marker dropping!

Hop on over to the Fenben thread -- you will find lot of like-minded people!

• Karen2019
    Karen2019 Member Posts: 58
    edited September 2019

I am a week and a half post surgery, have basically spent the whole time in bed, and everyone has been showering me with wonderful, sinful food. Yet somehow the scale today showed I have lost nine pounds since my preop weigh in. I don't care if it's short lived or even untrue, I had a moment of joy in seeing it and reveled in it!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2019

santabarbarian - Thanks for the info on fenben, but right now I'm not ready to take more pills. Hoping the TM downward trend continues. I'll find out later this month.

Karen2019 - Love being showered with sinful food! Hope your recovery has been going well and the weight stays off.

Heavy thunderstorms today. It's my preferred soothing sound. Feeling extra mellow after doing Qigong.

Medicating

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2019

Loopy

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2019

Ativan! Ran out and then couldn't sleep. Got refills yesterday. Feeling refreshed after a good night's sleep is amazing.

• Karen2019
    Karen2019 Member Posts: 58
    edited October 2019
    Today I received the most amazing gift: a client of mine sent me three engraved stones, one that said "love", one that said "faith", and one that said "courage", each rg itapped in its own individual letter to me. The "courage" stone was the actual stone she carried back in 1994 during her own BC fight. The "c" is even rubbed away from her using it as a worry stone during her treatments. Probably the most beautiful gift I've ever received
  • SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2019

Karen2019 - Such a thoughtful gift!

After switching to black coffee, today's coffee with cream and sugar is a luxurious treat.

Now that the weather is cooler, I'm getting more pup cuddles.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2019

Down 8 1/2 lbs since I went on weight loss mode. Just in time for Canadian Thanksgiving.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2019

Found that we're low on flour for our Thanksgiving dinner.

Workarounds:

1. Make 1/2 batch of Parker House rolls (still plenty for 4)

2. Make a flourless chocolate cake. Yes, I licked the bowl!

And I made them without needing anyone's help with the heavy lifting (that stand mixer is heavy) or even licking the bowl clean.

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2019

They're all gone.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2019

I guess that would be the perp's thin slice of joy? Big joy for the cop.

• scotbird
    edited October 2019

Had a lovely day working in Edinburgh today. I was dreading it because I am not a morning person and I had to get up early to go there. But it was a beautiful day, and itmade a nice change!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2019

ScotBird - Glad you enjoyed the day. Leaves are turning here. It's beautiful.

Had a very early morning to get to my 8:30 MRI. This was my first abdominal MRI. In addition to the IV, I needed a shot to minimize movement of my intestines. Boy that shot hurt. Had to go into my muscle at my shoulder. Not sure if it was necessary since I had been fasting for 40 hours, not just the required 4.

The Qigong breathing helped get me through the MRI. Sometimes I needed to hold my breath for 18 secs, and I had no trouble at all. At my last MRI, I felt anxious near the end. Think the extra Ativan helped this time.

Joys:

1. Not panicking at MRI

2. Down 10 lbs

3. Feasted when I got home

4. Naps were very satisfying

5. Will soon pick up husband from airport

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2019

Gorgeous day to vote in Canada.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2019

Today I learned both coffee and dark chocolate are good for the liver and heart. This is knowledge that should be spread far and wide.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2019

My MO appt for today was cancelled because my abdominal MRI report wouldn't be ready. I still went to have my blood drawn this morning. Good news is that my CA 15-3 is still dropping (from high of 1386), but still high at 586. My liver numbers and scans are all normal while my TM has been going up for almost 2 years.

To whomever is reading my MRI:

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited October 2019

Serenity - I too, enjoy Tai Chi and Qi Gong. Last weekend, went to a Fri evening, Sat and Sun workshop on Soaring Crane Qi Gong (6 different lessons). It was intense, but very worthwhile. The weather was lovely and there was a park adjacent to the rec center where the workshop was held, so we were able to practice outdoors. The "Master" who conducted the workshop also does Tai Chi at our local Cancer Support Community Centers.

Looking forward to retiring on 11/29/19 and having more time to practice. Here is a quote from the workshop that I thought would resonate with you. "The essence of Qi Jong is to achieve real serenity. To guarantee this serenity, we must have high morality, selflessness, generosity and nobility of mind. These qualities safeguard us against worldly worries.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2019

Celia - That workshop sounds amazing! I love the quote. For me, achieving serenity is a constant work in progress. I'm so excited for your retirement. I am still on leave, but I don't know if I can go back. Thank you for your post! It's a good reminder.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited November 2019

I’m the same.

• scotbird
    edited November 2019

Same for me Serenity, I can eat like a dragon. As well as remembering to notice joys each day, I’ve started setting myself a daily “intention”. This is a positive goal which is achievable but manageable and can be work, a kindness, a treat or something else. Yesterday I cleared out my living room, and today I’m going to get my mother’s car fixed for her. It’s been really motivational and I’ve got so many things done that I’d been putting off. Love to all!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited November 2019

ScotBird - A daily intention is a nice idea! I like that it can be small. I'll try to incorporate that. I'm still noting my little moments of joy. I've been listening to the music of my youth. It's fun to break out in dance, but it confuses my pup. My younger daughter has declared me a hipster.

Last week we went to see Margaret Atwood speak. She is hilarious! I highly recommend going to one of her events.

On Friday I got my first ever flu shot. I also got a bonus Prevnar 13 shot. Today my shoulder no longer hurts.

• scotbird
    edited November 2019

Great news that the shoulder has stopped hurting. I am not doing much today, which is joyous!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited November 2019

ScotBird - Thanks for your tip on daily intentions. I've been putting off filling out the insurance authorizations for Ibrance and Xgeva. Think I've been in denial. After 3 weeks I finally filled it out yesterday. My husband will drop it off at the insurance company next week. The vaccination nurse said to wait 2 weeks before starting the pills, so I'm still in no hurry.

Tonight is a surprise birthday party for a friend. She is such a good person. It should be fun.