Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited August 2019

Just got permission to start building work in my garden. We are going to convert an old outbuiliding into a home for my mother, who just turned 90. Exciting project

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited August 2019

Nice, ScotBird!

Latest Handmaid's Tale ThumbsUp

Down 1 lb this week!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2019

Went to a Tai Chi class by the water. Our first time going and felt a little lost, but I loved hearing the water, the wind in the trees, and kids having fun at a nearby soccer game.

This is where we practiced.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2019

While I enjoyed doing Tai Chi by the water, I prefer the Qigong exercises. Since there are many videos I can choose the difficulty level appropriate for me.

My husband and I like this video in the evening:

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2019

Just realized that the joint pain from Exemestane is gone after less than 3 weeks of Qigong and Whole30.

ThumbsUp

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2019

My older daughter has been away for a few days for her first professional conference. Her flight tonight left 11 minutes early and arrived 9 minutes early. She has some good karma. Can't wait to see her. Pup will be very excited.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2019

My older daughter received a big financial reward for grad school!

Down 1 lb!

• romashka
    romashka Member Posts: 28
    edited August 2019

Thank you SerenitySTAT. I enjoy your posts.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2019

romashka - Thanks!

My family is torturing me! They keep putting my jar of walnuts in a cabinet out of reach, and my older daughter made molasses cookies this morning. She left the cookies under the cabinet with the walnuts.

I had to call down the other daughter to bring down the walnuts and place the cookies in the domed cake stand. This way I can't smell them. This is a test of my willpower.

I ate walnuts and prunes instead. Joy?

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2019

Confession: we cheated on the Whole30. We planned it last night. Today we took a walk by the water with the pup. Then we stopped at a local ice cream stand. I had mint Oreo in a waffle cone. It was delicious. I gave the tip of the cone to the pup because she was very good. It was a very good cheat.

During the walk, we came across some working sheep. They graze inside their mobile pen. People can feed them too.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2019

Well, after all the latest tests I've gone from my MO declaring me bizarre to not normal. I think that's good. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I saw my MO and RO today. Last week's CT scan hasn't been read officially, but both docs reviewed the scan and found nothing significant.

My CA 15-3 dropped from 1385 to 921. Still way high with unknown cause but going in the right direction after almost a year of trending up from normal.

Next blood test and MO visit are in 4 weeks. My RO appointment is in 6 months. Today's RO appointment wasn't really necessary. My RO just seemed very curious. Guess she's been discussing my case. While comforting, I would prefer not to be this special.

In other news, Whole30-ish with cheats ended with 5 1/2 lbs lost. I'm still doing Qigong almost daily. Besides increased flexibility, I've noticed I breathe deeply more often than before Qigong. Fasts range from 13 hours to 36 hours depending on how I feel.

The day started with rain, but it's been sunny and breezy since we left the hospital. I made sure I looked up.

Winking

• scotbird
    edited September 2019

It sounds quite reassuring but I wish they could diagnose and fix you without the vagueness! Being an interesting patient must be a bit annoying.

I had a good day today, nothing in particular happened, I just had a nice day. I’m also fasting and have lost a little weight, so am feeling virtuous too

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2019

Yes, it's been frustrating having a year of increased scans and tests without a definitive diagnosis. So far, the high 15-3 is the only thing that is not normal.

Qigong has helped me to keep calm even during the last CT scan.

Hope both of us continue to lose weight with fasting. The Whole30 helped, but I still have lots of weight to lose. The stress eating has to stop. It's easier to avoid during a fast.

Joy - After black coffee and ginger tea, a cool glass of water is delicious.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2019

I fasted 45 hours. I thought of continuing the fast until tomorrow, but I made mac and cheese in the Instant Pot, so fast ended. I can't recall the last time we had mac and cheese, but yum!

• scotbird
    edited September 2019

the new extension on my house is coming on really well. We won’t be able to use it until November, because it’s going to have underfloor heating which takes a month to install because it needs to dry out before the tiles can go down on top. It will be great when it’s done!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2019

Underfloor heating is so nice! We don't have it, but our kitchen tile floor holds the heat really well. That's as close as we'll get.

Since we've been watching the British baking show, I felt like making Madeleines. Finally did it today.

Lemon-glazed Madeleines:

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,311
    edited September 2019

OMG my mouth is watering

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2019

They were so yummy! Crisp on the outside, soft on the inside with the requisite hump. They took time to prepare, but I have enough batter in the fridge for another batch tomorrow!

Probably won't make them again until next year. I'm still trying to lose weight. Before the madeleines I was down another pound.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2019

I went to a free lecture at a university today. I had learned of it on Twitter. After I signed up, I realized it was restricted to students and faculty of the local universities.

Joys:

1. When verifying my registration, I passed as a post-doc. ;)

2. Lunch was provided. Nice chicken wrap.

3. Dessert was awesome! I might have gone back for seconds.

4. It was a gorgeous day.

5. Husband left work early to take the train home with me.

• scotbird
    edited September 2019

The madeleines look amazing! I have a tin for Madeleines but I never make them. I’m inspired to copy you...

• mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857
    edited September 2019

Thanks for this running post. There are plenty of threads that feed anger and fear -- when I find myself getting sucked into one, I have to push away. This one is good at feeding gratitude and joy, much better for me!

Today I am happy because I have new kitchen appliances to be delivered! I'm also happy because I did my Spanish homework last night, so I'm ready for class tonight. I have a box of Spanish-English vocabulary flashcards to sort through, also, and will spend some time on that today.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2019

ScotBird - Definitely make some Madeleines! I may have to make them again sooner than next year. I recommend browning the butter and refrigerating the batter at least an hour (to skip baking powder).

MountainMia - Initially I needed to distract myself from the pain and frustration. The pain is mostly gone, but I still have the fear and frustration, so here I am. Enjoy your new kitchen appliances and good job learning Spanish! Note cards do help.

Due to a headache, I cut my fast to about 18 hours. No big deal. Just glad the headache went away after eating. I've added a few dried cranberries to my prunes and walnuts snack. Jazzes it up a bit. Not as much as Madeleines would though.

• mountainmia
    edited September 2019

Yesterday I looked at the Spanish flashcards and decided they will not be helpful to me. There are 1,000 tiny cards in alphabetical order, not grouped by categories of things. The cards had been my dad's long ago. He died in 1997. So I've had them in my house and not useful for all that time. :) But it was good to look, and to decide to donate them. Perhaps someone else will find them helpful.

I enjoyed my class last night. It's through the community college and meets a few blocks from my home. There are only 6 students, which is kind of nice. Last night was #2 of 8 in the term. I'm surprised how much I remember, and how much I forgot!

Tonight is the visitation for a dear friend of mine. She was smart and wise and funny and kind. I'll miss her. I planned to go to the funeral tomorrow and not go this evening, but my husband convinced me that we should. Must remember to take tissues...

If you wonder why that belongs in a thread about joy, it's because of how graceful she was in her dying. She had stage IV colon cancer de novo, diagnosed a couple of years ago. So she's known all along it would kill her. And she still lived well and generously. What a great example, what a great teacher.

Blessings to all.

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,311
    edited September 2019

She sounds like a beautiful person! Such people are a THICK slice of joy. :-)

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2019

MountainMia - Making my own notecards worked well for me. I remember more if I write the words myself. Even now I hand write notes to prepare for an exam. I'm sorry for your loss, but it sounds like your friend had a well-lived life, and you are better for it. Reminds me of this song:

Santabarbarian - Exactly!

My husband's making milkshakes!

• mountainmia
    edited September 2019

My husband made me cry a few minutes ago. My birthday is in October and we are going to have a party, just an open house, but a time for people to come celebrate with me. He mocked up an invitation and showed it to me. It was perfect.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2019

MountainMia - He's a keeper! Happy almost birthday!

Suffering through allergies even with meds. Guess I'm happy to live at a time when tissues don't leave the skin around my nose raw. Good times.

• Yogatyme
    Yogatyme Member Posts: 1,793
    edited September 2019

I am loving this thread! Serenity, I have had issues w sciatica, so I feel for you. Literally a pain in the a_ _

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2019

Yogatyme - It's such a pain! I've had some sciatic pain when sneezing. Fortunately it goes away. I have to do a little more nerve flossing and hip crossover stretches.