Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Uplifting and Lively Messages. No holds barred..

Options

Comments

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    Options

Just getting back to everything. Whirlwind trip to NYC, and then back to catching up. This with the virus that's going around. Fortunately, I was able to cover the basics. Have a pot of chicken soup with wild rice going. That should fix me right up.

Finally, got my skis put away and back on my bicycle today. A slow 20 miles, but this means that I won't die when I do the 40 mile tulip ride this coming Saturday. The great news is that all my skis fit behind my washer and dryer. Plus snowshoes and hiking poles.

The conference sounds wonderful, Michelle. I am glad that your walking served you in good stead. I will add lifting for my NYC trip as I needed to lift my carry on many times over subway turnstiles in the trip to and from NYC.

I was happy to be back to spring which is so lovely here. As the weather is generally cool, we have a very long bloom. The trees and daffodils are out right now. Hoping for some tulips in time for my weekend ride. Wonderful scent of spring about.

I must find my spring scarves. Note I don't say "clothes" because it's still very chilly out. But something brighter to wear over my black cashmere. I wore fleece tights for my ride today.

Happy spring everyone! - Claire

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Michelle_in_cornland Member Posts: 1,233
    Options

Claire, glad that you had the chance to get to NYC. I love NYC, the little accessories shops near the jewelry district and near China town. I like the small Italian eatery section and just taking in all of the buzz and activity.

I hope that you are feeling better with your virus!! Did you know that Vitamin D can help cold and flu symptoms?

Please don't die during the tulip ride, we need your savvy input. Did you see any fashion trend in NYC? I am so glad that you pushed me to walk, because I could not have done this trip without preparation. Yesterday, I walked about 11,000 steps, today will be a lighter walking day as it is within the 48 hours of the big dose of D and it makes me a bit tired.

It is pretty in Illinois as well, with spring in full swing. I planted hostas last year in pots on my porch and they did not survive. I am trying to come up with a good design for a 20 x 20 x 20 container, of which I have two. I think I will save those containers for annuals. A few years ago, I planted several hundred tulip bulbs. The first year they were so pretty, but not all came up. I started to see the unusual color of tulip pop up randomly in my neighbors' yards and on our boulevard. Then, I realized the squirrels dug them up and "hid" them for winter. I think I need to replant that area and dig a little bit deeper.

I love scarves, especially vintage ones that are silk. They can dress an outfit or purse up in just a second.

Hope everyone is doing well!! Post pics so we can see what you are up to!!

• Shaz1970
    Shaz1970 Member Posts: 18
    Options

Michelle.....that made me chuckle 😆😆the squirrels dug up the tulips and hid them for winter in the neighbours garden 😆😆

The squirrels in the uk are so forthcoming as that, my dog, however, was a devil for digging up my tulips last year when he was a puppy, I replanred them all in the hope that they would survive, most if them did, buts it's not the display that I intended it to be 😦😦

I'm not doing much st the moment, its Easter Trading week in work, which means it's very, very busy, and consequently very stressful 😰😰

Stay strong ladies xx

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Shaz, tell us more about the UK. Are you in England or Australia? Give us the scoop, girlie!!

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

I was walking in my neighborhood near evening tonight, and I felt a sudden sense of loss. I kept thinking, where did the last 23 years go. It seems like only yesterday, that we moved into our neighborhood and had our children, now 20 and 18 years old. I was so busy with all of their studies and activities, that the years became a big blur. I am so glad that I was a very hands on parent, as was my husband. I have no regrets. We were very fortunate to be involved in our kids activities. Both of us coached different sports, and I ran a large volleyball club in the USA pipeline. As I walked along a stately street tonight, I began to smell fragrant lilacs. It has been years since I have smell so many fragrant blooms. Does anyone else ever have a sense of where did the time go? I promised myself to never take a day for granted and to live my life to its fullest. Having a BC diagnosis really makes one take stock in all aspects of living, which is profound. I am so grateful to the ladies on this thread for pushing me and cheering me on in my walking. If it weren't for you, I would not be where I am at today both physically, mentally and emotionally. I have close friends, but my ladies on this thread probably know me better than anyone because of this experience that we share. This is the best therapy. HugHug

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Feeling very excited about the summer. Plan to indulge in a little sunshine to keep my vitamin d levels "up there"!! Today, I mostly waited on a governmental agency to approve my real estate contract for a project that I want to get started on. I love doing design work old older buildings and am looking forward to some restoration of both mood and property at the same time. I told my husband that waiting for this contract is like waiting for biopsy results. I am not a very patient person, and I want results, so waiting is hard. I am scheduled for my 6th month mammogram in May and am a bit nervous. I finished radiation in November and had to wait until May. My thoughts are, at least I will have 2 mammograms this year in case we need to do any further surgery. I have a wonderful insurance policy, which I hope to keep. I am in the mindset that if something needs done, just get it done. (Patience again.)

I am thinking about testing my endoxifen to see if my tamoxifen is metabolizing correctly. Plan to call my MO tomorrow and ask for the test. Been on Tamoxifen now for 2 months. Tomorrow is also a walking day - 10,000+ steps. I am walking 2 or 3 days, taking a break for one day, and then back at it. I feel so much better when I am active.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,226
    Options

michelle - my understanding is that endoxifen testing is not commonly done, i.e. - not all labs do it and it may be send out blood draw. PM the member Lisey as she had it done but struggled to find a source for the testing, she can tell you which lab was used if your doc doesn't have one that routinely runs endoxifen testing.

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Thanks, SpecialK!!!

I just love British shows and am rewatching Downton Abbey on Amazon. Lord Grantham says to Sir Richard, "what time should I order your car?" Sir Richard Says to Lord Grantham's mom, "I am leaving in the morning." She says to Sir Richard, "Do you promise?" I just love good old sarcasm, ....... and British television. Some people read new books and watch new shows, I rewatch shows for what I missed the first time through. My friend can read a novel in 2 days, and I have no desire to pick up any books at this point. I was a bookworm all of my life, then I had to assist my kids with all of their homework, reading, test preparation, etc. Even during my son's first year of college, I was proof reading, helping with test prep. I don't want to look at any print material right now. So...burned...out.....

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

Even worse when you get to write it. Hoping I feel up to 40 miles of the Tulip Pedal tomorrow. I checked, and there should be at least some fields of tulips in bloom. Hunkered in today as needed to catch up on odds and ends. Got to be a hero with minimal effort on my part.

Spring is exquisite here.... Trilliums are glorious. Not to mention the trees. I will let you know that I negotiated the roads properly and didn't land in the 8' ditches.

Off to bed in a trice. Will come back from my cycling adventure with local eggs and local veggies. Life is good. - Claire

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    Options

Michelle - Hope you enjoy Downton Abbey. DH is a Brit, so we have watched over and over and are big fans of British programs. Dame Maggie Smith delivers some of the most memorable lines! Happy weekend!

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Claire, how did that tulip ride go today? Celia, I love many British and Austrailian shows! McLeod's Daughters was a fav of mine as well.

I had to run around with contracts for my project and am getting so excited. For most people, the prospect of renovating a house is not endearing. For me, the prospect of refurbishing what is there and finding architectural pieces for the period is a thrill of the chase. It is a 1940's 2 bedroom, one bathroom, all hardwood flooring, high ceilings, with a medium size living and dining room. The kitchen is a galley kitchen, but will be cute. I am going to be looking at the decor from the 1940's for ideas. It has a large basement that could have some finished areas. I just started thinking about the glass lunchenette plates with the little cups. Those could be so cute for daily use. I need to scour the Goodwill to see what I can find. My niece will be living there and we both appreciate vintage items. Looking forward to doing something I love!

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

The house furnishing project sounds just fab, Michelle! Look up Dorothy Draper. I saw a re-creation of some of her work at Bergdorf Goodman about 12 years ago. Lovely.

The ride went well. I did another 25 miles today which I dragged through. Not that sore other than the part that has contact with the bicycle seat.

Pictures from my ride below. Still need to make Easter Dinner. - Claire

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

I checked out Dorothy Draper and thought some of her work and wall patterns were very cute. I think I need to find something a bit more "cottage-like." I did 10,000 steps Sunday and Monday, and so far 8,300 today. I am going to try to push for 10,000.

My sister is taking care of my mother who is 88. I took my sister shopping for some new duds at Penney's. They have such good bargains. I found the cutest military jackets that were marked down to 13.00 from 70.00 of course they did not have my size. I called the online department and they honored the in-store price. I bought one for my sister too!!!

Claire, the tulips are so pretty. We have tulips here, but they are not overwhelmingly beautiful this year and not all came up in our area. We had a warm spell in the winter and I think it ruined the bulbs.

• Shaz1970
    Options

Excellent bargain Michelle 😆Nicely done 😆😆

I went for my first rads yesterday and did my nails to match the occasion...image

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

cute nails......

imagePic from my walking.....

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

I have completed 10,000 steps both Thursday and Friday. I will continue to push 10,000 on Saturday and down to 4,000 on Sunday. I am finding that having a "rest" day is something that I look forward to and allows me to recharge my battery. The discussion in Washington, of turning persons with pre-existing conditions over to governors of states, has me concerned. Our state has not had a budget for 2 years, and it would be a fiasco to have the governor running our health insurance.

I am enjoying each day to the max and continuing to make positive strides for my health!! How is everyone else doing?

• BebeZF
    BebeZF Member Posts: 10
    Options

Michelle in cornland,

That is frightening for sure. I am so excited that I was able to start a boot camp. In preparation for Tamoxifen, I want to exercise regularly just like you with walking. Starting it over made me realize how quickly we lose our endurance and strength. It was sooooo hard, I did it at my pace, but still couldn't feel my body after the first time. BUT, it felt great energy wise for a few days after. I will try to go 4-5 times next week and just keep going. Need to lose 4 lbs before go on Tamoxifen. Don't know how I gained these 4 lbs with all stress and craziness of the last few months. I lost a few lbs in the beginning and all of the sudden it all came back plus more. I am seriously weight obsessed, lol, because I worked hard to keep it at the same levels for the last 10 years.

That's all for now. I have to pick up Tamoxifen from my pharmacy, but somehow not in much hurry.

Have a great one :)

Bebe

• Shaz1970
    Options

I have done over 10,000 steps every day this week so far. Not sure if I will be able to keep it up through the rads, day 4 on Monday. But I'm giving it a go.

I'm off on a couple of photography jaunts this weekend, not sure how well I will get on with my camera, as my breast has gone hard and sore, but will give it a try and see how it goes.

Hope you are ok.

• BebeZF
    BebeZF Member Posts: 10
    Options

Shaz1970,

May I ask why did you have lymph nodes removed? With DCIS? Just wondering as my diagnosis was similar, a bit lower grade and smaller size, but... Also you have started Tamoxifen before the rads and my MO said I can't start Tamoxifen before radiation. I know each case is different, but it makes me wonder so if you don't might sharing. Also, my Onco type DCIS test came back super low at 0 so I have decided against rads as according to the test, I would not benefit much from it. It all is a mystery and no srystal ball :)

Great job on walking, how do you count your steps? I need to get one of those apps.

Hugs

Bebe

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Well, ladies, today was my third day of 10,000 steps. Tomorrow will be half that and then back up to 10,000 on Monday. 10,000 steps takes me one hour and forty minutes or 100 minutes. I walk 8.33 hours per week and 24 hours per month = one full day of movement. I have noticed a great improvement over time in my tone. I think the largest benefit is that it helps me to minimize Tamoxifen side effects. I am working on a pretty bracelet which hopefully I can take a pic of over the next two days. I close on my house project this week and am so excited to begin refurbishment and renovation!! I will take pics of that too. Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

• WenchLori
    WenchLori Member Posts: 1,027
    Options

Hi Michelle, I found you :-)

I've just started to get back to walking again. I finished chemo in December and just finished radiation a few weeks ago. The biggest problem I've had is exhaustion so I'm only up to 5,000 steps a day. I forgot to take my Fitbit off when I mowed the yard last week and got in 14,000 steps and 36 flights of stairs. Yeah right!

My MO wouldn't let me start the Tamoxifen until I was done with radiation too. He said he waits at least 6 weeks before starting Tamoxifen as he prefers the skin to be healed first. I see him on 5/23 to get things started so it works for me.

I'm looking forward to better days and better health. Off to read past pages, it'll take me awhile 😳

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Glad that you are here Lori. I had surgery, then radiation, and after I was well healed, Tamoxifen. We did not overlap or rush the meds. I ended up getting a hysterectomy/oopherectomy in January as well because my cycles show no sign of stopping and I wanted to take an AI. I am glad I did it because I have no worries about any reproductive issues. I ended up on Tamoxifen, with the support from my girls on this thread. I don't know what I would have done without them.

• theway2muxia
    theway2muxia Member Posts: 2
    Options

Great job walking, everyone!!!!!

Before my diagnosis, I was loving life. Every week possible, I was driving to the mountains in search of waterfalls. Between the lumpectomy and radiation, I took a week and hiked 117km (very slowly but steady). Lately, I've been trying to hike parts of a trail that goes across NC. Walking for me is about clearing my head.

Cheers to WenchLori ! And better health for all!

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Good job to you, theway2muxi...!! If you could add your diagnosis and treatment bio information to your profile, it would help in discussions. I think the value of walking is immensely relaxing for bc patients and helps to overcome SE of anti hormonal therapies.

• Shaz1970
    Options

BebeZF,

I had lymph nodes removed to make sure it hadn't spread, I was originally diagnosed as IDC from my biopsy rather than DCIS, maybe that's why. I think I was started on the tamoxifen early as my tumour was a grade 3, they seem very fixed on that for some reason, also my tumour was 8/8 ER+ , I've now had to stop the tamoxifen due to a family history of blood clots, I'm waiting to see a heamotologist on may 10th to decide if I can proceed or not, they would give me AI's as an alternative, but I already had a total hip replacement, so they have concerns about my joints if I have them, from a work perspective.

I am located in the UK, not sure if that makes a difference to their views on treatments.

Just for a change I'm waiting in limbo 😦

Day 5 of rads today at 4.40pm still maintaining 10,000 steps per day, but am struggling a bit now.

I have a Fitbit that monitors my steps, and links to an app on my phone.

• WenchLori
    Options

I was surprised after all the walking I did in my garden and around our 5 acres to see I didn't make it to my 5,000 steps. I feel like I've walked to Ohio and back! I need to check my steps more closely before it gets dark and make up what's missing. I'm still taking afternoon naps 3 weeks after finishing radiation so I'm trying not to be to hard on myself. There's no excuse to be under my goal steps. I'm missing my laps around our pond so that could be the reason. We have a pair of geese and wood ducks with babies on our pond this year. I skip the pond laps as I can't outrun anything at this point.

Hugs and blessings to all

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Lori, don't be too hard on yourself. You may feel the fatigue from radiation for a while. I did not have that fatigue, instead my side effect was insomnia. You are doing great for 3 weeks out and a positive attitude with some "umph" is the right recipe. My diet included high protein and green leafy veggies after radiation. Keep up the good work and it will pay off!!

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Well, I got in my 10,500 steps today and now my back hurts. On Sunday, I carried about 50 pounds of laundry upstairs from our laundry in the basement. I wrenched my back hoisting and dragging my very oversized laundry bag. I took it easy on Sunday and Monday, with low step count and ramped it up today. Tomorrow is the final walk through of my project house and closing is Thursday. I have been selecting some colors for my niece to look at. Also, on my work table is the following bracelet.

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

So, what does everyone have planned for the weekend?

• WenchLori
    Options

Michelle, we'll be getting rain the next couple of days so I'm not sure what we'll be doing. If it clears up enough I need to get my mushroom garden form built and get my mushroom spores planted. I may collect my celibritory end of treatment dinner from my DH.

I got extra walking in today (7,500 steps) as I'll be house bound the next couple of days. I actually feel pretty good and no nap needed!