Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Uplifting and Lively Messages. No holds barred..

Options

Comments

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Michelle_in_cornland Member Posts: 1,233
    Options

Lori, I know a coach from your area. He is notorious. Did you every play volleyball over there? Good job on getting in your steps. I twisted my back on Sunday, walked over 10,000 steps yesterday and my back started hurting. Today, I took it easy again. It is raining here right now, ugh. When do you, or did you start Tamoxifen?

• WenchLori
    WenchLori Member Posts: 1,027
    Options

Michelle, I have an appointment with my MO on 5/23 to get started on the Tamoxifen. I'm kinda anxious to get started these days. The sooner I start the sooner the ten years will pass. I know, I'm getting way ahead of myself but it's just the way I've been getting through all this BC garbage.

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Lori, I find that it is better to recover from each stage of treatment, before moving to the next. Your body has been through alot, and needs to have time to heal. You may not need 10 years. I am counting on 5 years. Just look at all you have done this far: mastectomy, chemo, radiation. Before I even started Tamoxifen, I had the lumpectomy, radiation, hysterectomy and oopherectomy. It takes time for our bodies to understand the changes, heal and then let us move on to the next step. In my opinion, people that rush treatments have more side effects. I know it is so nerve wracking waiting between each treatment. I built in time for fun between each treatment. I am a passionate bead designer and it helps keep my hands and mind busy. Do you have any hobbies?

• WenchLori
    Options

Michelle, I do a lot of drawing, painting and I picked up wood carving a few months ago, so I have a lot to keep me busy. Then I have my garden to look after. I was only going off what my MO said about being on Tamoxifen for 10 years. I'd love a shorter ride for sure. I've looked forward to every step of the way in this whole process. I've never flinched or had a break down... well, except once when my Mom totally ticked me off with one of her rude remarks. My cancer team says I'm a very boring cancer patient. No tears, no screaming, no tantrums and most of all no fear. Just getting things rolling took 4 months from diagnosis to DBMX due to PCP not putting in proper referrals. I've seen with "most" BC sisters they have surgery within weeks of diagnosis. It takes as long as it takes. SpecialK has been a great help to me during the early months. Thank you SpecialK! I couldn't have kept my cool as well as I did without her and so many others here. Pissed? Yes. Scared? No. In a hurry? Not really. Just one more step in a life long process. Onward and upwards.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,226
    Options

wench - you're welcome, lol!

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

I have so much respect for the women on these forums. Several have seen me through the last five months. I have to say that I think we have some of the most congenial gals on this thread (my opinion). I got on the scale today, almost 3 months of Tamoxifen, and I have lost another 9 pounds. I have been walking as much as possible and I think it made a big difference. I twisted my back on Sunday and have only walked one 5 mile day since Sunday. Today, I saw my chiro for acupunture and cupping. Might see him again tomorrow. Probably pulled every muscle in my low back.

• WenchLori
    Options

Michelle, I'll be praying your back feels better soon. I over did it on Wednesday with 7,500 steps and I slept all day yesterday with only 987 steps. Ooops I feel pretty good today so far. It's going to be chilly here the next few days so I need to go out and put frost blankets on the herbs I planted in the garden the other day just in case. Yo-yo weather lol

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Flowers raining down from my tree..thought of you ladies as they were a really

pretty pink. Not pink ribbon color, just a soft pinkish white....

• WenchLori
    Options

Michelle, that is so pretty and romantic! Beautiful

• Sunny_Girl
    Sunny_Girl Member Posts: 38
    Options

Michelle - beautiful picture! The trees are blooming out here (Pac NW) and it's not been warm enough for the bees to do their magic. A big wind will come through and all the lovely petals will be on the grass! Here is the cherry / it is so pretty right now - image

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

I have decided to lounge by my husband's aunt's pool this summer. I plan to do exercises too!! I found poolside pants that are meshy fabric in black and need to find a swimsuit. Any ideas? The ones that I have tried on are uncomfortable. I plan to enjoy every day this summer

• WenchLori
    Options

Sunny Girl, beautiful cherry tree!

Happy May Day to everyone

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Yes, beautiful tree. If anyone sees an attractive one piece suit on the internet, could they post it on here? I want to find something in black, simple halter style with no underwire. There are alot of swimsuits out there, but I just have not found the one for this summer and this frame of mind!!!

Michelle

• WenchLori
    Options

Will do Michelle, I'm looking for a new suit myself. Did you want one with UV blocker?

I got good news from my PS this morning. He was surprised my skin has healed as much as it has in the past month. He said we can do my exchange surgery the first of July as there's no damage to my incision tissue. I'm going to wait until this Fall as I've got to much going on right now and I agree with everyone here on BCO to wait at least 6 months to allow my skin to fully heal. I'm just going to breath and relax for the next 5 months.

Here's a male Grosbeak one of my favorite birds. Such a pretty boy!

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    Options

Michelle & Lori - Thanks for the lovely pics! Pretty petals! Great looking bird - never seen one like him! "Redbuds" blooming all around KY - they are a lovely purply pink color - will have to try to snap a pic to post.

Back & forth weather here (the norm for spring). 85 & humid yesterday so put the AC on & today the high was 70, now it's 54 & the low will be 47, so back on with the heat!

• WenchLori
    Options

Celia, we're having the same weather as you are. I may need to put frost blankets over my bales to keep my baby plants toasty. We're getting a light rain here at this time. To much water falling from the sky this past week and more coming this week.

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

I think we are all getting the same weather in Kentucky. Indiana and Illinois. The sun finally came out today and I hope it stays out. I have to go birthday shopping for my husband, who has everything. I am going to start walking again. My doctor had me wait until today to hit the 5 mile mark.

• WenchLori
    Options

Michelle, 5 miles, that's awesome. I'd have to have someone come get me to make it back home.

My DH is from Peoria IL and the whole town is flooding pretty badly. I agree I think we're all connected with the weather patterns. It's beautiful today as well. I got part of the yard mowed before the rain moved back in tomorrow.

Stay dry everyone

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    Options

WenchLori - Mowed the lawn? Hope you have a riding mower, since it seems that you have a lot of yard. Otherwise, mowing the lawn would likely qualify as some serious exercise. We had a nice day today, but a little on the cool side. Will be 42 in the am tomorrow! All of my azalea bushes are still in bloom, so I hope this does not lead to their early demise.

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

I hope everyone gets to keep their flowers a little while longer, ours are mostly "done in" by the rain and crazy weather patterns. How about that Kentucky Derby, Celia?

Today is my husband's birthday and I am more excited that he is!!! I think with a bc diagnosis, at least for me, every event is a big event. I do not take anything for granted anymore. I baked a 4 layer chocolate cake, gluten free of course. Tonight we will celebrate with his family at our lake club which has a really great chef. We left a more expensive club, for a much less expensive club with a great chef. and could not be happier. I feel so happy when I am out there, knowing I will always have a great meal and it is so reasonable.

Yesterday was my first day back walking at almost 3.5 miles or 8700 steps. That was all I could muster. Today I hope to hit my goal of 10,000. It takes me an hour and forty minutes to get that in during that day. But, it is so worth it.

• WenchLori
    Options

Celia, we have 5 acres and a brand new riding mower named Sporty. It takes a few hours to get it all mowed. I'm only about halfway done but it'll have to wait for the weather to warm up again.

I put my straw bale garden to bed last night. I'll keep it all covered until temps get back into the 60s. Now I'm just chilling and waiting for the rain to hit!

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Lori, what a great job!!! I know how hard it is to take care of land. Do you grow crops? I have wanted a garden for many years and envy those that do it. Do you have any animals? With hay, I am thinking horses or cows, perhaps?

• WenchLori
    Options

No cows or horses although I'd love to bring my welsh mountain pony Sunny D home from TX. The only crops we grow are from my garden. I'm trying the straw bale garden method this year. I fertilize the straw bales for 10 days, then I put potting soil on top of the bales and plant my seeds and the transplant the plants I've grown inside from seeds. So far everything is growing. I'm hoping I did it right and we can eat fresh veggies this summer.

This is Sunny D my Welsh Mountain Pony. He's a therapy pony at The Saddlelight Center, Physical Therapy thru Horsemanship in Selma Texas. He's a snotty nosed boy that's always causing trouble

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Cute pony!!! A straw bale start garden sounds interesting. I spoke with my bs office today regarding the impact of what is going on in Washington, on my future breast decisions. We are sitting down to discuss my dense breast issues and mastectomy, vs. just staying the course with the lumpectomy that I had. I am getting a bit nervous over "pre-existing" conditions determination and perhaps authority given to states to oversee this issue. Right now I have 100% coverage for any surgeries this year, next year or down the road could be another issue. Living in Illinois, without a state budget for two years, gives me less confidence. As uplifting and lively as I want to be right now, I am disappointed.

• WenchLori
    Options

Michelle, I can understand your disappointment completely. I don't blame you for being concerned about your decision especially with there being no budget in your state. With Washington pulling the wool over our eyes we are all in major trouble. I decided to have a DBMX as soon as I was told I had dense breasts as I felt it was a one time thing for me. I also had implants in place that were 30 years old and they wouldn't hold up during radiation. It's a very difficult decision indeed. I'll pray everything works out for you. Of course we are all here to support you through everything you are facing. πŸ™πŸ€—

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Lori, what a day! My husband's aunt, who is our age, had a fender bender last night with a gal and exchanged phone numbers. Today his aunt called me and asked if I could speak with the lady because she had just been diagnosed with IDC and was going to have the same surgeon I had. As I spoke with her, reassuring that the surgery was very doable and routine (for the doctors) I could hear myself speaking. I was self soothing, from the Washington debacle, as I provided this lady with information. I remember when I was first diagnosed, I went into shock. If someone would have told me, from experience, to calm down, walk and stay busy, it would have helped. So in that one instant, I was able to give her everything she needed for piece of mind. She kept thanking me.

I spoke with my surgeon's office today and let them know how I was feeling. I see her on May 15th, have a mammogram on Monday May 8th, and see my MO on May 8th. I am going to put all my cards on the table, along with my fears, stats and questions over the next couple of weeks, and try to reconcile myself with what is simultaneously unraveling in Washington. I am so fortunate to have top doctors and an oncoplastic surgeon from University of Southern California, who does amazing work.

My state needs to get its rear in gear and develop a workable budget. With Washington decisions looming around state level governance, we need to have our ducks in a row. Last year, I attended some basketball games and the governor was my seat mate. If I knew then, what I know now, I would have lobbied him right then and there on the sidelines.

I am sure that I am not the only one worried, because this effects every American citizen. Thank you for supporting me during this time. I appreciate it very much.

• WenchLori
    Options

Michelle, you are very welcome, I wouldn't have it any other way. We can cross our fingers and pray the new health care bill fails in the Senate. The way Trumps luck has been with getting anything passed I'm hoping his celebration yesterday gets thrown in his face. !!PRAYING!!

πŸ€žπŸ™πŸ€žπŸ™πŸ€žπŸ™

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

I am disappointed that support for pre-existing conditions was not clearly developed or suggested to be left to the state level decision makers. Our governor will not make it to two terms, as he is widely unpopular. He is a really good guy and loves this state so much. I wish that everything did not come down to politics. We will vote for a new governor next year, and will probably align the governorship, house and senate in the same party. In Illinois, leaning heavily Democrat, it is hard for a republican to be governor. Heck, it is hard for anyone to be governor and not go to jail. Four of the last seven governors, went to prison.

• WenchLori
    Options

Wow! That's not a very good record! But then again, I'm sure there are a lot more out there that should be in jail.

I don't mean to be rude but every time Trump opens his mouth something stupid falls out. I was really hoping he'd make things better not worse.

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Lori, all I can say about Washington in general, is that I hope the Senate uses good sense in constructing the new health care plan. Americans do not want to be left out of the insurance market, no matter what political party they represent. There are 3,000,000 women living in the US with breast cancer and more diagnosed each day. Over 250,000 women are diagnosed each year. My best guess is that 100,000,000 persons in the US have a pre existing health condition. Why bother having insurance, if i is too expensive or does not cover your conditions? We could put the insurance companies out of business by having our own cash contracts with doctors and medical providers. I have always been covered by insurance, but am starting to get angry being used as a pawn in the political landscape.