Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Uplifting and Lively Messages. No holds barred..

Options

Comments

• tsoebbin
    tsoebbin Member Posts: 199
    Options

Hi Michelle.. Have you tried extended release melatonin yet? It helps with my insomnia.

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Michelle_in_cornland Member Posts: 1,233
    Options

Tsoebbin, very nice invites!! It does feel good to be creative and the better we feel about something we do, the better we feel about ourselves.

If I am speaking with one of my friends, and they tell me they are feeling down, I ask them what they are doing for fun. Usually, I get back an answer that includes watching tv, taking care of their kids, grocery shopping, etc. Then, I ask them what are they doing for themselves? Walking or exercise? Creative pursuits? Nutrition? The answers that I get back include: I don't have time, all my energy goes toward everyone else, too tired for walking, work too much. Plain and simple, it is just hard to "have it all."

Bc occurred for me at a time when my youngest was graduating from high school at 17 years old. My oldest was 19 at the time. (last year) I was finally able to take time for myself. Don't get me wrong, I was working on jewelry projects daily. But, was I carefully watching my nutrition or exercise? No. Am I now? You betcha!!!!

• Shaz1970
    Shaz1970 Member Posts: 18
    Options

my latest efforts...imageimage

This was yesterday's. I've done more this morning πŸ˜†πŸ˜†. It keeps me occupied, and my brain somewhere else, other than back pain, hip pain and knee pain, possible from the tamoxifen?? Who knows 😨😨

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

I have not tried Melatonin yet. However, after my iron therapy and vitamin d therapy, I plan to check into the melatonin therapy. When I go to Vegas next week, they are two hours behind where I live. I am hoping that my night owl hours pay off on my trip there and back. I will be flying on a red eye on the way back because they cancelled my afternoon flight.

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Saturday night - went for dinner at our lake club. Most amazing food, most amazing chef, greek salad with feta, flatbread with bbq chicken, rice with ginger infusion and kimche spice, asian curry veggie stew, pasta with pesto and veggies, thinly sliced flat ribs (for meat eaters), bananas foster for dessert. I walked 11,000 steps today, 9000 before we left and 2000 after we came home to work off some of those carbs.

This is the week that I skipped the iron infusion because I did not want side effects before or during my trip to Vegas. The weather here has been very nice and have not had the heat on for three days. Trees and flowers are in full bloom, which I think are a month early. So, what has everyone else been up too??

• tsoebbin
    Options

We did a prime rib at home last night! It was so great. Baked potatoes, roasted broccoli, everything was perfect.

We watch the NCAA Tournament.. both Gonzaga and Oregon won so it was a good night!

Drinking lots of water today.. higher sodium meals like that make my Lymphedema act up.

I'm in an organization mood today. We shall see what that brings! Hopefully a clean closet or drawer or 2! Spring cleaning is such a morale boost for me!

Hope you're all enjoying your Sunday Funday!

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    Options

Just able to catch up on all the doings. Did my last ski yesterday, and ready to switch over to cycling. That will be in 2 weeks after my NYC trip. Have been working an ungodly amount of time, but making headway. Had the honor of having one of the leading lights in the treatment of solid tumors visit our nonprofit on Thursday. A real master and gifted teacher. A wonderful experience!!

I posted these on the exercise thread, but wanted to share why I ski. Did I mention that it hurts to sit down right now after 9 miles yesterday. A glutton for punishment, I did a 5k run earlier today to avoid the rain. I was successful!!!

I also had a late post-birthday ballet excursion Friday evening with my friend Amanda (her treat). Glorious dancing. I am reciprocating for Magic Flute coming up in about 6 weeks. Zandra Rhodes sets and costumes which I just loved when I saw the same production a few years ago. I felt quite smug a couple of weeks ago when I heard the Metropolitan Opera broadcast of La Traviata. The soprano I heard here in Seattle was infinitely better. A true rising star.

I need to get back to work in prep for the work week. My lithograph rehanging went well until I learned that they sent the wrong hardware. So it's all sitting in a corner now until I get a new hardware packet.

Here are the pictures. - Claire

Ready for the final ski of the season. Note that it's snowing!

Frog Lake with Mt Catherine in the background. About 5 more miles back to the ski lodge and my car. The melt is starting as I could see the surface when I looked at the hole in the snow.

On top of the world under Silver Peak last Sunday. 5k uphill climb from distant snowfields on the right to get to this spot. That's I-90 below. It's fun to point way, way up when driving with people and boast that you actually ski "way up there"!!! About 12 total miles of skiing that day which whipped my butt. 5 miles downhill from this point (on Nordic skis).

Skiing under Silver Peak just prior to the descent.

On the way down. Olympic Mountains are just showing through the line of clouds in the distance. Just under that line of clouds is an area of blue which obscures Seattle. Just breathtaking!!!

• logang
    logang Member Posts: 144
    Options

I haven't posted for a while, but still try to check in at least once a week. I have been really busy with work. There are too many sick people out there!

My exchange surgery is fast approaching. I have my preop this Wednesday and the surgery is on 4/10.

I still walk 1-2 miles every day and end up with an average daily step total around 9,000. I also added in some toning exercises a month or so ago. I cut way back on junk foods and added in more fruits, veggies, and nuts. I have definitely gotten more tone back and I'm down 3 pounds since mid January. My sleep quality isn't always the greatest, but not bad enough to pursue medication. I'm doing okay with zoladex and aromasin. Have some joint issues but keep moving anyway!

Hope everyone is doing well!

Heart

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Claire, thanks for the pics. We get to live vicariously through you on the slopes! Logang, good job on the weight loss and continued walking. Shaz really like the nails.

Here is my newest piece in a blush color.

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    Options

Gorgeous piece, Michelle!!! I am so glad that you like my pictures. This was a very special ski year. I just put up the Seattle-to-Portland map right next to the picture of me crossing the finish a couple of years ago for "inspiration". Three months to train. However, a break next weekend when I visit NYC and walk/run for exercise.

I fly out Wednesday evening. Trip is part business as have a Friday meeting, but also a chance to indulge my love of art and refresh that knowledge bank and use my MA in Art History. One thing there is relatively little of in Seattle. (But you can't be at the ski trails in one hour from NYC. Or go vineyard skiing, unless you do a very long drive to the Finger Lakes Region.)

In the valleys, spring has arrived with flowering trees and daffodils. The other evening, I was serenaded by bird song and a frog chorus during my run. I will visit all this in 2 weeks time on my bicycle. The Tulip Pedal is April 14th, and is a tour of tulip fields about 60 miles from here. Promise pix. I usually do the 40 mile route.

I need to check one more email prior to dining "fashionably late" on trout, salad, asparagus, and baked potato with some good Pinot Gris.

Life is good! - Claire

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

This is my happy place. There is so much negativity now on media, social media, print media, that I just have to tune out. Looking forward to my trip tomorrow to Vegas!!! Can't believe it is here already. It is a design conference and people worldwide attend. I have been scouring the internet for good thrift and resale places as I figure that Vegas may have a few. We will be hitting Whole Foods the first night to stock up on some nutritious food. I plan to pack a peanut butter sandwich on rice bread, for the trip and maybe a few carrots. Being a particular eater does not guarantee that food will be found.

I love seeing pictures of everyone's interests and activities. Seeing them makes me feel a bit more alive and connected to others that are on my path. Have fun in New York, Claire! That is my next trip this year to visit Mood and other designer establishments. Really wanted to be in Paris, but needing to stay in US. Working on my next project that will include pink. Even as a designer, I do not have much pink in my wardrobe or accessories. Planning to include that color in a variety of shades this year.

Let's see more nails!!! What polishes do you girls like?

• Shaz1970
    Options

Have a good trip Michelle. Looking forward to seeing what new design ideas you come back with, maybe something i can do a twist on with nails 😁

I've been MIA as I've returned to work, and come home to nap afterwards. It was a bit of a shock to the system going back πŸ˜•. I'm sure it will get easier each day.

I've had a day off today, so am recharged and ready for tomorrow.

Shaz.

• tsoebbin
    Options

Enjoy Vegas! So much energy in that City.

PS.. I love that whole foods!!

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

imageview from above....,airport was closed and we circled for an hour and finally landed.. what a landing it is was... to an ovation for the pilots!!

• Sunny_Girl
    Sunny_Girl Member Posts: 38
    Options

Michelle - It will be interesting to hear what you see & find!

Patty

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Some of my finds to work in to projects....I focused on nudes and pinks mostly. Primarily went to support my friend who creates stunning lamp work beads. We went to Whole Foods and purchased lots of fruits and veggies.

I am so thankful that I have been walking 5 miles per day because I needed the energy. My legs are not even tired.

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    Options

Michelle - Thanks for sharing a pic of your finds. Will be fun to see the finished products. Hope you are enjoying the Vegas sunshine & warmth. Any plans to see some shows? Living vicariously through your adventures. Enjoy!

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Kate spade agenda for 37 dollars at the outlet mall and cap from hat place at Mandalay Bayshops. Also mailed home 2 hard to find Michael Kors bags. Most of food eaten during trip was from Whole Foods.

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Smokers galore here and I am so allergic. No shows, design conference and shopping. Today was pretty with sunshine, most people wear jeans or leggings

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

My journey was an analogy to everything I have experienced with breast cancer, beginning on the flight to Vegas. The take off was smooth (years of clean mammograms), became bumpy over the mountains (questionable mammogram findings), got to the airport and it was closed (something found on a mammogram). Rode around in circles for 1 hour. The ride around for one hour felt like limbo, (the same feeling that I had while waiting for tests - MRI, biopsies, extra ultrasounds). The very bumpy ride on our descent made me mindful of the surgery (lumpectomy), a little bumpy on the way and alot of fear of how I would do in the future. We were forewarned that we might be diverted to Phoenix (unexpected surgery events - which I did not have.) We road the bumpy ride all the way down, and when we finally were on the runway, we bounced and it was a bit scary (the treatment - tamoxifen/ai's/radiation.) When the plane came to a stop, we knew we would be fine and our journey to what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas continued. Now, being mindful of life and tests of our strengths, I think this is also a metaphor for unexpected events in our lives. Learning to be patient, not fear the unknown, and be okay while circling in the clouds, can give us perspective. That's life!!!

• tsoebbin
    Options

Dang Michelle! What an arrival. Love your analogy... It sums up this experience for some of us, doesn't it?

Yes... Yuck to Vegas smoke!!!

• Shaz1970
    Options

amazing analogy Michelle ... brilliant πŸ‘

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Thanks ladies!! I did like some things about Las Vegas, such as the time difference. My body felt better on Vegas time vs. Illinois time. Somehow, radiation tx put my body on Pacific Standard Time, not Central Time. I had my radiation tx at 4pm and would come home take a break, and be up for part of the night. Tx started on October 6 and by October 25th, I had insomnia. My big question is: did I just change time zones? Does the time you schedule radiation tx, impact your ability to sleep, etc? Many women complain about fatigue for a year after radiation, I am experiencing the opposite - hypersomnia. I am determined to correct my body clock, but waited until I came back from Vegas to do it. I wanted my evening energy to take full advantage of resort and shopping opportunities. Tomorrow, I will get my last iron infusion and can put that chapter in my rear view mirror.

I will post more of my finds later, as some are being shipped to my house. I just could not carry anything else onto the plane!!ThumbsUp

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

What a week! It seems that only yesterday, I was walking around the malls of Vegas. (sad face) I had my last iron infusion on Wednesday and have been tired for most of the last 48 hours. I forced myself to walk 5200 steps yesterday, which has been tough after the last three iron infusions. I looked at a house for my niece which was really cute and needs work. I love to find houses with good bones, wiring, newer roofs, plumbing, electrical, heating and air, that need cosmetic work. A good do over, for the right price, is a great pick me up and a value to my family members. Hopefully, putting a bid on it today.

Today, I want to hit 10,000 steps and get some quality walking time in. Starting a couple new jewelry projects and making some salmon burgers for dinner. Does anyone have a good recipe? I made some last week and they were okay, just not like the better ones that I have had. I have really enjoyed getting to know my cast iron skillet again, and have been stir frying 5 veggies adding ginger, black pepper, basil and egg. I am going to learn to use curry as a spice along with garam masala. My brother in law from Pakistan, and my sister, use cardamon pods as flavor, which I love.

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    Options

Michelle - What are the iron infusions for? (Just wondering. Apologies if it's a silly question, or if you posted more about them a number of pages back.)

Glad to hear you out there doing the walking. Now, if I could only kick it into gear to do the same. Oh well, still tired out from rads and started Anastrozole (generic Arimidex) yesterday.

Best wishes to all for the weekend!

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

My iron was a bit low, 12 hemoglobin with a lower absorption rate. I had surgery in January and my MO wanted me to "get my iron stores up." So, I have just completed four Venofer IV's, which build your iron stores much faster than daily iron. I am also on 50,000 units of D per week. I think it is great that we have anti hormonals available to use, and am thankful for my body's response to Tamoxifen. I am also thankful for all of my ladies on this thread that are encouraging!!!

• Shaz1970
    Options

Hi Michelle, I've been MIA for a while as I'm back working at the moment, only. 25 hrs, but it's been killing me!! I am literally shattered, fall asleep once I get home, it's so draining, anyhow, I've still been doing my nails...this is what I've done in April below..

I'm 28 days smoke free!!

Starting rads in 18th Feb

Have been taken off the tamoxifen until I've seen a hemotologist, so a brief break from hot flushes, in theory, except they haven't stopped 😱😱what's that all about??

I'm trying to do my 10,000 steps a day, walk to work and back. But not always successful 😩😩.

It's good to see your iron infusions will be stopping ... yuck!!

Shaz

• Shaz1970
    Options

Not sure where my nails went to, but redid it πŸ˜†πŸ˜†image

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Shaz, you are still recovering from surgery, so that may contribute to your tiredness. Congrats on being smoke free!! That will help prevent a recurrence risk for breast cancer and many other diseases.

You can ask your doctor to restart you at 10 mgs Tamoxifen for one month, then increase to 10mgs twice per day. I think it is easier on the body to introduce a med that slowly. I did not take Tamoxifen until after I had finished radiation, because each has its own set of side effects and I wanted to be able to distinguish between the two treatments.

Once your body gets used to modified estrogen levels, it will continue to "look" for those levels and have the hot flashes. Some call it "half life," I call it an adaptation of your body to a very strong medication. Ask your MO and RO if you can wait until after radiation to begin Tamoxifen again.

Walking back and forth to work is awesome, so congrats on that too!!! When I lived in Chicago, I would walk from my office in the loop (downtown area), as far as I could go, and then catch a bus or train for the rest of the trip. I lived in Lincoln Park which was about 6 miles from my office. I would make the walk in all kinds of weather and window shop along the way.

Love the nails, especially the pink and white ones!! But, they are all pretty like small works of art. Happy

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

10325 steps today!! Working on bracelet for my "Pink" collection. This one reminds me of strawberry πŸ“ yogurt. Hope everyone is having a great weekend. Played trivia at the temple and our table sucked. 4 attorneys, 2 MBA's, an art major and a college student. Last place. Sick