Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Uplifting and Lively Messages. No holds barred..

Options

Comments

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Michelle_in_cornland Member Posts: 1,233
    Options

Happy New Year Everyone!!! I have been busy with muddy puppies. They went from sweet, shiney, good smelling, to foraging in the mud for inappropriate snacks. Literally, they came in the house, covered in mud.

Spent the NYE at the club with friends and family........and then crashed a college party for my 2 kids, at a relative's (bil and sil) house. (My husband had taken our neighbor home.) They were pretty shocked to see me crashing their party. It was my husband's young aunt 50's, my sister 50's and me, crashing a 19/20 something party. All I can say, is that I told my son who was about to drink beer from a siphon, that his grandmother was right behind me. I was joking, but wish she or my husband could have witnessed what I did. My kids are not allowed to have parties like that in our home. We don't drink and are pretty strict parents. I was really mystified by the entire situation. I discourage alcohol consumption in young adults and higher aged teens, it was against everything I believe in and taught my children. I was actually pretty angry that my bil and sil would host such a party, and be right there in the thick of things. In the future, if my kids are at a party at those relative's home, I will be sure to crash it and take my posse.

Two years on Tamoxifen....three to go hopefully. Made a yummy mushroom, onion, non dairy cheese egg dish for dinner last night with a bit of black pepper and it was yummy. I love mushrooms, and am looking for a non dairy recipe for mushroom soup. Any ideas?

So, that is what is uplifting and lively with me. Claire, your NYE sounds wonderful. How did the rest of you ring in the new year?

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    Options

Your BIL and SIL are not doing anyone any favors Michelle, not to mention that they are setting an example that laws don't matter. Last time I looked, it's illegal to host a party where minors are consuming alcohol. Glad you were there to give everyone a safe ride home.

My "uplifting and lively" is being nearly done with the report. The other two members of the team like the work my partner and I did which means minimal corrections and additions, not a rewrite thank goodness. Hoping that the new business call I have in a couple of hours also works out.

I don't have any "non-dairy" mushroom soup ideas other than I would use chicken broth as the liquid and potato flour? (or instant mashed potatoes) to thicken. I am a cream and flour lady, so this is the best I can come up with as a substitute. Make sure you sauté with shallots prior to adding liquid.

You could also make a very tasty mushroom and lentil soup. I add sweet Italian sausage, but you don't have to. This works fabulously for cleaning out the fridge, and is a meal in itself. May need to whip up a batch. I add in a large can of tomatoes - whole ones which I cut up plus all the usual soup suspects including a parsnip.

I am back on my fabulousness soap box. No matter what the life event, there are trolls out there who want to drag you into dark places. This is how to pay them back plus have a much better life. True, you have to do the basics as there are few magic bullets in life. I am at the point in my life where I get such things as "wellness surveys". It's enough to send a body out for a 5 mile run!

Which reminds me that I intend to spend this year's Nordstrom gift cards on fabulous sweaters in real colors!!! Happy New Year (again) everyone!!! Picture below should more than set the stage for what I am expecting for 2019!! - Claire 

Edited to add: we got the project!!! Now there's a really great start to 2019!

• MDRR
    MDRR Member Posts: 63
    Options

Hi there

I agree - that party must have been a really disconcerting experience. I don't understand when parents and other adults host such parties! I always spend NYE going to dinner with a couple of friends from my former neighborhood, and we then call a friend who relocated from MD to TX about 5 years ago. It's always fun to catch up, and ironically, 3 of us have had BC. My former neighbor is a 20 year survivor, TX friend is a 10 year survivor, and I'm just about 1 year out. It's an odd thing to have in common! However it's also built-in support from those who have been through it.

Claire your NYE sounds wonderful! I also second your approach to 2019 and years beyond. I want to enjoy every day and take whatever comes whenever it comes with a positive attitude; I can't imagine it any other way! It's nice to have others who share that outlook.

Happy New Year to all!

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

I was pretty disgusted, seeing underage kids near any alcohol. We never had one drop of alcohol in our home, we don't smoke or partake of recreational drugs. I was raised by very old school and older parents. My parents had me very late in life, and they were the age of most of my peer's grandparents. They had seen the ugly side of the world growing up in the depression of the 20's, and prepared us for reality. We were not permissive with our children or their friends. I am a USA Volleyball Coach and my husband was an AAU baseball coach. We were role models for many children. I am offended by what I saw, just not sure what I can do about it. There may be bigger fish to fry later, so I need to save my goodwill and merits for that. My daughter does not drink to any excess and my son is 22. I will keep preaching to them about the hazards of binge drinking, etc. and the effects of alcohol consumption on the liver. I also know my son's general doctor, and can whisper something to his nurse about the alcohol discussion.

DH and I had dinner with our dd and her new boyfriend. He is premed and cute. I really like him for her, they have alot in common and are very responsible. It is exciting to see a budding romance with great chemistry.

HeartHug

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

So you know what to focus on Michelle. Wonderful news about your daughter!!! Hoping this one works out.

I think your son is also fine. Not sure about the others. But not your bailiwick. 

BIL and SIL have their own lives. As a reminder, Jenna Bush has turned out just fine.

I am in a serious swoon over prawns with saffron and wine sauce over pasta. Very funny, but I ran into a neighbor this evening who was heretofore unaware that I am a serious cook. She asked me where you can buy the sauce!!!

Quite unhappy when I mentioned that it's something you personally have to make Happy

I need to close the doors as just might not survive the scent of all things glorious..... Happy New Year. - Claire 

• MDRR
    Options

Claire - sounds like you should start selling your sauce!

I agree with what you said to Michelle. Your kids are getting the right message. It's amazing to see what some parents will do. My friend's 15 year old took her car one night, picked up friends and drove around. No alcohol, but he was stopped and of course, he had no license. She grounded him for quite some time over the summer, and believe it or not, other parents were campaigning on social media to "free" him because she was being too harsh. He not only was grounded, he had to pay for his attorney and appear in court. He will tell you that he really learned a lesson and I respect parents who actually parent!

I head to the breast surgeon tomorrow for my one-year-from-diagnosis exam. I'm not expecting any issues but will be glad to get past this milestone!

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

MDRR, you are Claire are both right. I have set the example,over and over again. My kids had better know right from wrong by now.

Milestones are very important, and I started a thread called Mammoversaries in another forum. Just marking these dates off of our lists, helps us clear up our minds for the better things to come.

Today, was completely uneventful, as I stepped into a sump ditch at the edge of a road last night, and twisted my knee. I have just been resting today. A friend has a sump pit, where it should be a drain into the roadway. Instead the drain stops in the yard, and is about as big as a 5 gallon bucket. I thought to myself last night, as we were getting ready to go to a dinner party, that I would just wear my Sperry duck boots. Thank God I did. I sunk about 12 inches into water and muck. I would have ruined my Gucci boots or Frye Boots. So, from now on, when in doubt....wear the ducks. I am limping and have a fluid filled sack on my knee. Just been napping on and off today. Claire, they had cheesecake, cooked in a water bath....amazing. Do you make those?

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

Blech on the sump pit.....glad you were suitably attired, Michelle. I can only imagined if this had been your Gucci boots.

One of the things I was thinking about doing during today's run is what should I jettison/lose for 2019? Now that I have figured out my "go forward look", I need to ditch the dross. 

I am headed into year #10 which will happen in nine months. That is huge.

Cheesecake isn't my thing, at least not to cook from scratch. But I do make a mean bread-and-butter pudding which I think are even tastier. Or a mousse au chocolat. Just yum!!! (Need to make a mousse, as I'm losing my touch there.)

My business partner and I snagged the new client, so great things to come for the New Year. We present the findings from the study just wrapping up next week. 

Hoping to sneak in a ski tomorrow as worked most of the weekend. Then I snagged two glorious sweaters on Nordstrom Rack, one a deep claret and another in aubergine to change things up a bit. Life is great!!!! - Claire 

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Literally, something in the back of my mind said, "wear the rubber boots." Other's had on high heels, etc.with jeans. I wore leggings, a duster vest in animal print, and my black duck boots. I have no trust, when it comes to my good boots and take no chances.

My daughter became a Monat hair product market partner, after seeing the condition of my hair before radiation, after radiation and now. I have worked very hard to encourage my hair regrowth. My hair is almost pre radiation condition, two years after I finished radiation. I had to quit worrying about the hair loss and played with extensions and a faux pony tail. But, now coming up on my two year anniversary of my hysterectomy/oopherectomy and start of Tamoxifen, my hair has recovered from trauma. After rads, my hair came out by the handful and I was soooo stressed out about it. I decided to wash my hair one time per week, curl/style it one time per week, and just brush it the remaining days. The key to keeping it looking good was the Monat Blowout Cream. My hair is not oily and does not get sweaty or dirty. I tousle it using the blow drying, then use this blow dryer round brush combo. If I need volume, I add a few curls.

The puppies got a bath today, which took me an hour and twenty minutes from start to finish. Washing them is a process, which I now have a routine for doing. I will upload new pics of them tomorrow.

Hugs, girls...

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Out to dinner tonight to my favorite seafood restaurant!!!!

• MDRR
    Options

Enjoy! Hope you all are doing well. I had my one year (from diagnosis) check up and all is well. I have the best medical team - LOVE working with them. We may get a little snow here in MD this weekend; of course, 6 inches paralyzes us!!

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

I have been beyond busy, but hoping to get up skiing on Saturday. But the groomed lower trails as real skiing has been spotty at best this season

My 2 sweaters arrived today and one is just gorgeous. The other is overly-roomy and hits me in all the wrong places. Back to Nordstrom Rack it goes. I did learn that I need a Medium and not a Large in their sizes. The Large comes from my high end and sportswear shopping. Just think, I am not quite as massive as I had imagined!!!
    Got a very funny text from a friend commending me for being out running in all the foul weather. Suspect that she has headed Straight for the Pub, Do Not Pass Go!!! Got in 5 miles today, plus solved a couple of work problems. Finally in 2019.
    Last year, we had a "few inches" of snow here in the Lowlands. I went skiing on the golf course. 
    Off to bed in a couple. Because Friday and the Weekend await. Happy mid-winter's nap everyone!!! Looking forward to the sunshine promised. Because the wonderful days of mid-winter are indeed special. - Claire 
  • Suzyshacklechick
    Suzyshacklechick Member Posts: 27
    Options

I didn’t realize radiation makes your hair fall out😳 Is this always the case? I start next month.?Thank you Michelle

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Suzy, I pm'd you. But, the stress of radiation and surgery caused some hair loss for me. I had to be patient and use hair extensions to make it fuller. Learning not to worry, and to trust my body to rebound and regrow my hair was a process.

Congrats MDRR on your one year anniversary!!!

Claire, do not get hypothermic this year. Ski on the sunny side of of the mountain and take your cell phone or communications device. Great job on the medium sweaters!!!

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

We had so much, about one foot, of snow over the weekend. I had to make "roads" for the puppies, in the back yard. It took me a while, but I was able to shovel out some fun paths for them to run around on. Their main "drag" all around the perimeter got shoveled out, several "side" roads were put in, and a jaunt under the back deck. I kept telling them, stay on the path, stay on the path. Now, they go out and play on those "roads." Their fur cousins, Valentina and Mercedes, came over tonight to join them in running in the back yard. We are supposed to get ice this week and another 8 inches of snow this weekend. My daughter, her bf, and several friends went on a Saturday night sledding adventure at one of our golf courses turned sledding parks and had a blast. Time goes so fast in life, that I remind myself to just keep my eyes open and pay attention to the details.

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

We are gearing up for more winter weather in Illinois. I have not heard from Claire in a while, hope that she did not get hypothermia skiing down the shady side of the mountain. She nearly did last year!!! (((((((CLAIRE))))))))))

Two years down, three to go on Tamoxifen. I will get a new dexa scan in a few weeks, to see how my bones are doing. What is everyone else up to??

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

I am sorry to have been MIA. Busy week. I had a lovely time skiing on Saturday and then did a ride on Sunday where it was quite balmy. The Tunnel Ride is in 3 weeks, so time to get back on the bicycle. More later. Good news is that I am getting a nice commission that I did not expect on some work I did in the second half of last year. This will allow me to do a number of "extras" this year. Much more exciting than domain renewal and the like.

I can say once again that fabulousness rules! I had a meeting today, or rather I was in the background working on a deadline. I had to look professional, but also be up to the task of putting together a complex set of documents. What did I do??? I wore my Saint Laurent sweater from a year ago plus my Versace trousers from a month ago. Then some great bling. Dug the Clergerie ankle boots out of the closet. Topped off with a fabulous silk scarf. Extremely comfortable, and I passed muster.

Made the deadline too!

Had one more task prior to dinner so just now heading to bed, having had very little exercise today (unusual for me). I am sleeping in tomorrow AM and will do a run prior to heading to a fun dog sitting gig which ends Sunday. Plan on being the corrupting "Evil Auntie". So fun. - Claire 

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

This winter has been pretty unremarkable, so I have not had much to write about. I have been reorganizing my bathroom and planning for redo. I bought some ceramic barn wood looking tiles to temporarily put in my dog kennel. I like them so much, that I may put them in my bathroom, which is yellow, floor to ceiling including ceiling ugly tile. The floor is the one inch tiles that were laid in sections. I am ready for a change and have been in this house 25 years. That bathroom is at least 45 years old and held up well. Time for a change.

I need to get out of my house tomorrow and do a few errands. It is cold in Illinois, with unpredictable weather. The puppies are amazing and are so full of energy, which brings me great joy. They use the dog door and think that they are outdoor dogs. I try to put them out at 9 pm and 11:30ish. That way they do not have to hold their business over night.

I have still been going through things, at my leisure. I watched Marie Kondo, and there is no way that I will ever be a minimalist. Some of my possessions are not able to be replaced. But, it is a good time hit the thrifts while everyone elseis "Kondoing."

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

Interesting thought, Michelle. Minimalist ≠ fabulousness. Or at least not in the world where I live. Just loving the YSL sweaters and think I am moved in for the duration. 

Things are hopping here. However, I am getting away for my birthday (Wed-Sun two weeks from now) and then to NYC a little over one month from now. This is to gather the possessions I still want from the house I shared with my ex and finally close that chapter of my life.

Puppy sitting gig was great fun, complete with lots of mud. We both had baths at the end. A nice (free) break from the action.

Work projects in all directions, but the ball is (mostly) in my court at this point. Have a kickoff meeting for a research project in the AM.

Was really wretched weather a couple of days ago. I did my walk anyway in the chilly pelting rain. Retreated and ordered a state-of-the-art hot water bottle made in Germany. My old one just doesn't cut it anymore.

Next to book my London October visit....but first to contact my friend. Need to do this while airfare is still dirt cheap. This time, I plan to fly Virgin Atlantic both ways which I can do nonstop from Seattle-Heathrow, and avoid missing a connection in Chicago. 

More later, but my bed beckons.... Need to be back on my game for tomorrow AM. Then some R&R and a bit of fun in Seattle. Plus a Nordstrom Rack return. Skiing, cycling, and a spot of work this weekend.

Zzzzzzzzzzz………. (Tomorrow is another day.) - Claire 

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

HELLOOOOOOO, from the tundra, formerly known as Illinois. We are waiting on minus 40 degrees over the next two days. For some reason, we get the Polar Vortex from Canada. It has been cold here, with a tiny thaw this morning and a quick pick up of manure. I am excited to get them walking through the park this spring, and pick up their stuff along the way. I plan to reseed my backyard and want it to be nice.

It really has been a bore this winter, but I have been on task getting things accomplished in the house. Still paring down, and feeling good about it. I have a hard time letting go of nice scarves. I gave away my winter boots that became too big, to my niece. I will not make the mistake of purchasing something "too" big, because the sales person says...."room for thick socks" ...... in other words, "we don't have your size." I wear my duck boots in the wet winter and put in ugg fur inserts. Over the next few days, it would be nice to have a pair of good winter boots, but I am going to be very choosey.

How is the weather, where everyone else is?

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

Just foggy here, but was gorgeous today, and also yesterday if you went skiing, which I did. The great news is that I am ready for my ski trip which is just 9 days from now. Legs are complaining, but that is just fine. I wore out my old ski sweater, but found a great replacement in my closet. Wonderful find, as it wasn't being used otherwise and was just languishing.

The "cold snap" will be over soon enough and then onto late winter and spring. The days are ever so much brighter here now.

Keep the scarves as they don't take up that much space and it's nice to have items to swap out. I need to add to my collection.

I am having another set of shelves installed for my closet in anticipation of items from my trip back East. This includes some Christmas treasures, many of which are presents from my mother. Did I mention the need to do a major purge.

Thinking of this as a "life edit". I am thinking this will be essential for where I am about to go. (Don't ask, as I don't have an answer....or at least not yet. But I do know that something new and wonderful is about to happen. For the record, this is NOT a rational thought, but something I know is brewing. I am seldom wrong about these things.)

Off to bed as a busy rest of the week. Give your little ones a major hug for me, Michelle! - Claire 

Attaching a picture from yesterday's ski Happy

• MexicoHeather
    MexicoHeather Member Posts: 147
    Options

• MDRR
    Options

Cold here in Maryland too! Not as bad as the midwest though. With wind chills it feels about 10 below zero. However it's supposed to hit 60 next week!! Golf in February -- I love it! Stay warm everyone!

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Today is in the record books, along with this date in 1966, as being the coldest temperatures. With wind chill, we were at negative 34 degrees, and it has been climbing all day. I had to watch my puppies like a hawk, and had to drag them back in a couple of times. I tried to keep them moving chasing Kong balls and a volleyball, and they were hugged on and loved on all day long.

Looking forward to the Polar Vortex leaving Illinois soon. It was colder than Antarctica, Greenland and Siberia today, where I live. February is almost here, hooooraaaaayyyyyyyy!!!

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

Try -34F without the wind chill! I was born when it was -20. I know that it may be hard to believe, but the snow is extra special when it gets below zero. It has a crystalline quality and sounds like glass if you kick it. The air is also extra special. I must find my photo of a ski I did with my late friend in Vermont when only a few degrees above zero. You wanted to be in the sun.

I am so psyched that it will be in the (above zero) 20s next week for my ski trip. That is absolutely perfect, especially if sunny. Warm enough so you don't freeze, but you have powder, not granular (or much worse, Cascade Concrete) conditions. I have been to the Methow Valley about six times to ski, but never had powder conditions. 

Much as I love cycling, I love skiing even more. Unfortunately, I think Sunday's Tunnel Ride will be wet. I am taking my car into Seattle, so I can turn the heater on full blast when driving back. 39F with light rain is the forecast. I will need to keep moving as it's hypothermia city!!!

All this said.....stay warm everyone! - Claire 

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Well, our weather rebounded from negative 34 to 55 above. I have been walking the puppies and they are doing so well. We did about 5 walks today. Our backyard is a mudpit and I am going to do some hard surface landscaping. Deciding a concrete walkway, bordered by larger black rocks. I might change the elevation to improve runoff.

Claire, you mentioned a move at some point. Are you moving back to NY?

So excited to be outside walking again. I did try to walk with them at 16 weeks, but Thaddeus kept backing out of his harness. Now they walk on a shared leash and it is very motivating. My calves are so tight tonight, so I am using a heating pad to see if that will help.

How did you trip go, Claire?

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

I am not moving anywhere any time soon. That said, it would not be back to NY, but possibly to New England. Not to anywhere warmer, as I am truly a "winter" and loathe hot weather.

The ride was sad, but amazing. The rain held off, though feared the worst during the drive to Seattle yesterday morning as was wet in spots. I took myself out to brunch afterwards at the next town over at a "farm to table" place where I overpaid for a fabulous Eggs Benedict and Bloody Mary. Felt good as was supporting local, sustainable agriculture plus the food was delish

The snow appeared a couple of hours later and ended midday today. I got out on my skis to enjoy everything and was rewarded by the most fabulous light and vistas. Plus exercise that I need for my upcoming trip, less than 36 hours hence.

I am heading to bed with my new hot water bottle from Germany. This, after divine leftover pot roast that I had the foresight to make last night. Not wanting to venture forth, I decided on a fab bottle of wine from my stash. It's my birthday week after all.

Just looked at the clock and my bed beckons. Can't wait for my trip!!! - Claire 

• trmtab
    trmtab Member Posts: 852
    Options

Okay, had the momentary meltdown at my annual diagnostic mammogram this morning...very grateful to have come out the other side with a clear reading, return in one year.

Upon arrival the tech wanted to convince me to do a screening mammo and not a diagnostic mammo and I said my MO is insistent that I do the diagnostic...

After the standard shots (regular and 3D) were taken, I wait for the Radiologist to read them...well, she wants more views, ugh, but even more grateful I was insistent on the diagnostic. In fact 3 more views both regular and 3D,double ugh. The next 30 minutes of waiting for the reading...10 years.

Then the good news, there wasn't a suspicious spot but a place that was denser and needed extra imaging and squishing to get a clear view, but it was clear.

Happy Wednesday. 3.5 weeks until my spring break at school...unreal. TT
  • Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Trmtab, yeah, congrats on the clean mammo.... I think that we relive the stress we felt upon diagnosis, every time we have a mammogram. I have decided to just get in and get out. They no longer read them while we wait. It actually makes it less stressful, to treat it like a once a year appt. in and out. If they need more images, they will have to contact me. Not vice versa.

Drizzling rain in Illinois and I wanted to take the guys on a walk. Working on some small projects for Valentines' Day. Last year, I spent Valentines' Day with my mom and made a video of her saying, "happy valentine's day."

Also, helping ds girlfriend on her scholarship application for our local college. Very talented artist, Gold Key 2x, Silver Key 1x, but changed major to business because an artist's life, is a hard life. Trying to mentor her and find ways to incorporate her talent and skills. Already helped my dd with her scholarship application and son is on his own as a grad student. I used to do all of this myself, but I had alot of motivation and skills at a younger age.

Thankful for every day.....

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

I am lying on my side writing this because it hurts to sit down from all the skiing. Amazing snow, and a fabulous time. I go back tomorrow, and hope to beat the storm that's moving in. Heading out in a bit for my birthday dinner. Promise to post pictures soon.

Now to get out of my ski clothes..... - Claire