Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

January 2017 Surgery Group

Options

Comments

• Cowboy-Up
    Cowboy-Up Member Posts: 161
    Options

Did anyone have surgery in the afternoon?  I am already 2 months out from diagnosis so I had to pretty much take the afternoon slot or go even longer.  I am not diabetic but my blood sugar crashes if I don't eat something for breakfast and a morning snack.   I'm just worried I'm going to be a shaky, sweaty, weak mess when I get to the hospital.  Any tips?

• Fightingirl
    Fightingirl Member Posts: 328
    Options

cowboy-up, maybe the nurse that calls for your pre-op can give you some suggestions. Mine was in the morning but I was also 2 months from diagnosis. Maybe they'll let you eat a couple crackers or something.

• DCISinAZ
    DCISinAZ Member Posts: 135
    Options

ok does anyone else feel pretty good then go on some of the other boards and COMPLETELY get freaked out? Cuz I do.

• DCISinAZ
    Options

ok does anyone else feel pretty good then go on some of the other boards and COMPLETELY get freaked out? Cuz I do.

• Elem
    Elem Member Posts: 246
    Options

That is happening to me right now. I get that call from the surgeon regarding a small invasion and doing a sentinel node biopsy , then read on here that that may not bevthe protocol for having DCIS treated with lumpectomy. I am totally confused now. I have not seen this path report and don't understand that if my small tumor was removed and the margins were clear , why do I now have invasive cancer . I did not have that before. I am totally confused and am thinking that I need an oncologist to read this report and tell me straight up what is going on ? I am flipping out now!

• DCISinAZ
    Options

elem - the way I understand it, once any of those cancer cells break out of the duct, they can travel anywhere. That's why they do a SNB; to make sure everything is contained in the breast.

But I agree; seems like there are a TON of different paths people are on with their diagnosis. So hard to know which one is right for you individually. What did your bs say you should do next? Did s/he give a timeline

• PugsMama
    PugsMama Member Posts: 337
    Options

elem, the following article may help you understand more about your dx...

http://breast-cancer.ca/microinoma/

• PugsMama
    Options

Elem, I sent you an article in a private message which you may find helpful...xoxo
  • Elem
    Options

Thank you girls so much . I decided to go to dinner with hubby and when I get back will read the article Pugsmama. Thank you so much.

DCISin AZ he suggested I be put on schedule for the SNB no rush he said. To me , If i needvit , let's roll ! I do not want this beast in me or on my mind ! My Goodness , I need to calm down! It is just nerve wracking. Love you ladies . Without you , I would be so afraid

• annoyingboob
    annoyingboob Member Posts: 459
    Options

cowboy - I had a 1pm surgery, but got there at 8:30 am and they started the wire locs at 10:30am. then the surgery (3 lumpectomies and bilat reduction/lift) took about 3-4 hours, so I finished late in the afternoon. I spent the night in the hospital on a 23 hr observation bc I live alone and didn't want anything horrible to happen since I also live far from the hospital. by morning I felt great and only needed Tylenol, but still not too hungry, but they offered a full menu had I wanted it,

I think you will be ok - first thing they do after you change into a gown is they start an IV, so if you are hypoglycemic, they can always give you some sugar through your vein since you cant eat. after surgery I had zero appetite but took some soup later that night. I found all the nurses to be very attuned to my needs, so if you let them know you might get hypoglycemic, they will keep an extra eye on you. the key is communication to everyone!! you have an entire team at the hospital working together to get you back to your gorgeous self. trust them and let go a bit! good luck - you got this!!!

• brandyrose
    brandyrose Member Posts: 11
    Options

Hi Everyone,

Looks like I'm part of this group too.

On January 25th, I will be having a free tram flap breast reconstruction with a prophylactic left mastectomy (right was done 2 years ago).

I am super nervous after reading lots of your experiences, and weighing the pros and cons of tram vs diep. My doctor recommends the tram, but I wonder if it's the right decision.

Anyways, I've been through a few surgeries now (fractured my ankle last year too), but I'm wondering if there is anything I should be preparing for specifically for this? Or anyone have a hospital list they use?

Anyways best of luck to everyone in this group. At least it's a step forward.

• Cowboy-Up
    Options

Thanks annoyingboob. That is what I needed to hear

• Leftcoastie
    Leftcoastie Member Posts: 77
    Options

cowboyup- my surgery was in the afternoon scheduled for 1:30. I checked in at 10. I actually didn't go into OR until 2:00 pm. I dido whatannoyinboob said. You will be treated very well. I was. They will even give you anxiety pills to relaxe you. They started my iV right away as well. I was very nauseous when I woke. If you are subseptible to nausea after anesthesia tell them well in advance. Please try and find peace before surgery. I took Tylenol pm the night before so I could get rest. I'm thinking of you.

Elem - I completely understand your fear. I am sorry you are facing so many unknowns. Seems that's cancers dirty trick. You will be ok. We are all here for you. 🌈

10's please get sleep tonight. Remember this is just a phase in your journey and this too shall pass. We're all here holding your hand 🏖

• annoyingboob
    Options

brandyrose - I broke my ankle and had surgery for that a few years ago. it was a huge bummer bc not only was it painful, but I couldn't get around like normal so it was frustrating. I was casted for 3 months, had a second surgery and then another few weeks of hobbling and rehab.

I just had 3 lx and reduction/lift last week, so not as extensive a surgery as you will be having, but I found breast surgery to be a breeze compared to ankle surgery. less pain and I can still walk anywhere and maintain my independence. it sounds like from others, the mx recovery is more like 2-4 weeks and you cant use your arms much but at least you can still walk and go to the toilet without someones help.

my advice/checklist for the hospital is to keep it minimal: phone with charger, headphones, book, throat lozenges, cozy hat you can pull over your eyes to sleep or hide bedhead, scarf to have something that smells like home. ugg boots to stay cozy or slippers. notepaper and pen to take notes from nurse or doctor if you dont use your phone for that. i also recorded all my nurses names so i could thank them later. Ziploc bag with just insurance card/id, cc, housekey. chapstick. the hospital gave me a toothbrush and toothpaste and I brought facial wipes but didn't use them. sent home in a not horrible bra that I am still wearing.

good luck to you!!!

• vargadoll
    vargadoll Member Posts: 1,942
    Options

I have got to get my pathology report! So many of the things you ladies post about I have no idea what mine status is in that area. If I had found the blog first I might not have been so over whelmed at my appointment with the surgeon. My husband is going to see if the will release the report to him tomorrow. That might help me understand more. Right now all I know is IDC grade 1 very small tumor. (And thats to much!)

To all the tens....rest well, we will be with you tomorrow! Think of the bungalow, clear blue water with all the white sugar sand ( just like Siesta Key my favorite beach!) I will be the one holding the larg orange pineapp juice with coconut rum!

• Fightingirl
    Fightingirl Member Posts: 328
    Options

To our tough 10 gals, we are here, we'll be holding your hand and leading you to the sweet bungalows! The weather is perfect, a gentle breeze, blue waters as far as the eye can see and as vargadoll said, walking through the sugar sand you will find us! I'll make sure the bartender is ready for your drink order on arrival. Wishing you smooth sailing through your surgeries. Much love my sisters.

• annoyingboob
    Options

• Elem
    Options

that looks so tranquil . thanks for posting it. I need to be there now. Just want to wish everyone headed to surgery this week well . Think of azure seas and tranquility . We are here with you all the way . 💪🏻🕶⛱

• PugsMama
    Options

Love the picture! To all having surgery this week, we'll have lounge chairs waiting for you in the bungalows!

• DCISinAZ
    Options

FightinGirl - where did you have your surgery and who was your breast surgeon? Mine is at Piper at Scottsdale Shea and my Drs. are Liu (bs) and Gawley (ps). My husband is a urologist at Banner Thunderbird if you had your surgery there :)

• Kawigirl1260
    Kawigirl1260 Member Posts: 16
    Options

Speaking of nausea after anesthesia, after shoulder surgery with severe nausea, and a lumpectomy with slightly less, my anesthesiologist tried a straight IV drug. No gas. Worked like a charm. My BS did my surgery (single mastectomy, no recon), sent me to recovery, then went on to another surgery. By the time she came back to recovery to check on my, I was back in my room and feeling fine. I checked in at 8:30 a.m., went to the OR about 10 and was home by 2:30 p.m. I know that doesn't work for everyone, but it's worth asking your anesthesiologist.

My first 2 breast surgeries (I ultimately ended up having 3 in all) were afternoon. I was so nervous with the first one, I wasn't hungry. The second was a re-excision and I busied myself that day by going to work. Being thirsty was more annoying than being hungry. But the IV seemed to help with the thirst. In fact, my biggest problem was having to get up to pee all the time. Really annoying when you're in a hospital gown and connected to an IV bag! If you run into that issue, you can ask them to turn the speed of the drip down.

The anti-anxiety drugs are great. If they offer one, take it!

Keep breathing...................

• 3bears
    3bears Member Posts: 161
    Options

I'm in the hospital. They put the dye in. I'll report later or tomorrow. I need your encouragement ladies.

• Cowboy-Up
    Options

You got this!  Praying for a smooth surgery!

• Dfarm13
    Dfarm13 Member Posts: 3
    Options

3bears thinking of you. You are going to do great.

• Cowboy-Up
    Options

Annoyingboob, how long did they say you should be off work and how long did they say you can't drive.  We are having similar surgeries so I am wondering what to tell my work.  My boss is great so he will be okay with whatever I need.

• PugsMama
    Options

3bears: we're with you! You can do this....pretty soon you'll wake up & all this pre-surgery anxiety will be gone! Xoxo

• DsMom
    DsMom Member Posts: 46
    Options

Cowboy-up - I had my pre-op yesterday....assuming protocol is the same, you can have clear liquid in the AM which I was told includes apple juice to help with blood sugar - confirm at your pre-op.

Elem - Please remember...invasive only means the tumour broke out of the duct - it doesn't mean it "went" anywhere. The node biopsy is just to confirm it did not leave the breast.

I can't remember who mentioned freaking out reading other boards....just don't. This was something my medical team stressed...stay away from the message boards! I was even hesitant to come here, but you are all supportive and no negativity or foolishness. Your situation is your situation - reading about others...good or bad or ridiculous has nothing to do with you and will only serve to stress you further. Listen to your professionals, if you do research ensure they are reputable sources, including "real" articles and not opinions and do NOT be asking non-professionals for advice. While we can all share the "why" we made a certain choice, or share our experiences (which is awesome and very helpful) we're not the experts here. That's my 2 cents.

So...my last full day at home - tomorrow is dye injection and marking. I'm the weirdo who is excited for this surgery...get 'er done! I honestly can't wait to see the oncologist because to be honest I'm at the point now where I was I was doing a double MX but not willing to postpone to explore that option. I figure we will discuss based on the pathology. Things are quite different here in ON Canada...MX is day surgery - in and out same day which I prefer; I'd rather sleep in my own bed. In addition, it takes 10-14 days for pathology...boo!!! I will try not to worry too much...the MRI and US (although not conclusive) did not indicate any "involvement" with the lymph nodes so I'm holding on to that for now.

Nice to hear everyone is doing well. I have a few questions about chemo...I have been told that people who are younger and athletes tend to statistically fair better with chemo (regarding effects). Does anyone who has already done chemo fit this description? I know everyone is different...just wondering how you got along. I am in the Army, a runner and weight lifter - hoping my fitness level will help me out. I was told most people don't work during chemo but wondering whether it is realistic that I might. Regardless of age or fitness level...did anyone work through chemo and how did you feel?

• Elem
    Options

thank you Dsmom for that . I just got so stressed yesterday not quite understanding why if the cancer was removed did I now have a new scare.

It was like the day i was told

i did not have calcifications that were b9 , I had cancer! I am sure we all never see that coming! It is a wobbly knee situation!

Anyway, thanks for all the great advice for the ladies going through it today and for sharing so much good advice. Freaking out will not help!

Take care everyone today

Much Love and Respect for our community💪🏻

• Leftcoastie
    Leftcoastie Member Posts: 77
    Options

3bears You got this. We'll see you on the other side of surgery 😘

DsMom Thank you for your service. I have not had chemo but know of others that worked the entire time while being treated. I hope you can too. I think our minds and attitudes contribute to how we do. I wish you luck.

I hopefully get my complete pathology today. Couldn't sleep last night. Guess I'm a liattle anxious. I also go to ps for post op. Wish me luck ladies. One nipple is still very blue and one is pink. I hope they take. They look pretty darn good!

Xoxoxo

Lisa

• jinmo
    jinmo Member Posts: 55
    Options

Good morning everybody! Thinking of today's ladies, Dafne, 3 bears, SheilaW8 and Amul79, Best wishes for all of you to go into surgery calm. See you guys at the bungalow over the blue water.