Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

January 2017 Surgery Group

Options

Comments

• vargadoll
    vargadoll Member Posts: 1,942
    Options

Good night to all you tough girls!

Quick check in before I close my eyes. Looks like everyone is doing well. Welcome to the new girls. ..I'm new to. These ladies are awesome!

• DCISinAZ
    DCISinAZ Member Posts: 135
    Options

FightinGirl - I live in Paradise Valley. So we are pretty close!

Any of you other ladies with surgeries coming up convinced that every twinge/pain/cough is mets? My brain has been working overdrive.

• Amul79
    Amul79 Member Posts: 6
    Options

my left breast masectomy ( reoccoured) is on jan 10th 2017

• vargadoll
    Options

DCISinAZ...YES!!! I cough....has it spread to my lungs. .....pain in left side.....oh shit not my ovaries to.....lump somewhere....what's that feel tbis?!?! My mind has put me in some dark places.. my PCP who knows me to well told me to take half a Xanax at night. She knew I would not take a whole one. She prescribed them and told my husband to go pick them up. I don't take a half every night bit if I'm have a crazy thought day I take on without shaming myself. The tough girls in te groups have eased my worries so much. They have paved a smooth road that I was traveling!

Amul79, you will find support here...welcome I'm new to!

• Peppy321
    Peppy321 Member Posts: 6
    Options

Hi it's Day 17 after a left breast lumpectomy and left lymph glands removal. Can anyone suggest effective pain management that relaxed them enough to do the daily exercises effectively? 2 500mg of panadol and 2 nurofen 200mg are NOT killing the pain and pulling in my left arm from the elbow upwards!! There is also stinging from the armpit and nipple that was relocated! My left shoulder blade small muscles have become very week in just 17 days! Can't bring my arm up to the side at shoulder height!! Thank you.

• vargadoll
    Options

Peppy321, sorry you are in pain! I have not had surgery yet but the ladies that have are wonderful about sharing if they have information that will be helpful to you.

Hope you find support here like I have

• 3bears
    3bears Member Posts: 161
    Options

Docmama-- Congratulations on your clear lymph nodes! That is so cool that your husband is an anesthesiologist .

GT1965-and DCIS in AZ-welcome! We are glad to have more in our group. Sorry for the reason you have to be here though. Contact BeachBabyK---She will add your names and surgery dates to our list at the top.

Fightingirl--Thank you for your encouragement. I know you're with me. All you girls are with me. It's still just so surreal that any of this is happening. It's truly like a really weird dream that never ends. It began on November 11 and I never wake up from it. There's much to be thankful for though.

Do you girls want to know something ironic? My birthday is Saturday January 14! Who gets this crap done 4 days before their birthday!? It's a good thing I have a sense of humor. I will be 48 years old.

Did not see this coming-----thanks for your nurses advice. I will keep that in mind later this week when I need to poop! The things we talk about on here, right?

Just so everyone knows, I'm 5'4". Does that make me tall? I'd like to put my picture on here. I guess I have to use a laptop to do that. I'll check in later.

Mary

• laastra
    laastra Member Posts: 34
    Options

I'm the tall one! 5'9'' Odd one out, hah. Well, I've been following right along with all the messages and i'm feeling much more comfortable about going in for the surgery next Monday.

I also am kind of anxious in general and I was totally also doing the thing where I think every little pain or twinge means cancer has spread, hah. It's like, I know it's unlikely but fear can really mess with you! I have my lorazepam handy. I just want to get this over with, hoping the week goes by fast. It's a snow day for me, don't have to go in to work, should make the rest of the week go by faster :)

Whoever said "do we need to start a poop prayer", that's hilarious. You guys are great. I'll be thinking of all the ladies going in this week. Congratulations to all of you with news of clear nodes.

• Elem
    Elem Member Posts: 246
    Options

DcisinAZ yes .. absolutely. The mind is sonpowerful and this disease is very scary to us all . I have tried to stay calm and take in info slowly because I can easily freak myself out. I am four days out of surgery and now I have some bronchial issues. I am trying to stay calm and not give myself lung ca. But my mind is fighting me! I will take a 1/2 of an ativan if it gets too scary ! I scare myself and that is a problem. Coming to this board does me good though! I love the ladies and they are troopers and going through it all as well. Welcome to everyone who just came in . I think you will be happy you found the group.

Good luck sisters of surgery this week . We are here for you ! 🌈

• Bevmomduck
    Bevmomduck Member Posts: 91
    Options

Thanks, ladies for sharing your wild fits of imagined mets. I have also been taking my reoccurence to crazy places in my mind - "is it a kidney stone making my ribs hurt (not unusual for me) or is it bone cancer?"....etc.

Hoping for PET scan early this week before I see oncologist and can get this BMX scheduled. I have started wearing my tight old lumpectomy bra from last year so I can't feel the lump. It feels like a weight and is painful to the touch (another myth debunked - yes, it hurts and fooled me and my surgeon) and at least now I can have some moments when I can almostnot be reminded of what's going on.

Helps to hear others of your struggling with THE WAITING - it sucks but now I know I am not alone! Let's stay strong together. 💪🏼

• jinmo
    jinmo Member Posts: 55
    Options

Good morning to all the January , glad to hear that everyone is forging ahead. I should be back soon with a proper surgery date.

3bears-I think I missed the height discussion somewhere but I am close to 5'6" so that makes me a really tall girl, right? I always wanted to be tall.

peppy321, that seems like a lot of pain after so many days. Instead of trying to bear it or medicate it up, maybe push for some physical therapy to get you loosened up? Don't just let it go, ok? Based on what I've read here (I am no expert), some types of pain can relate to lymphedema which you will want to get on top of right away. Hope you feel better.

• jinmo
    jinmo Member Posts: 55
    Options

Well, I got my courage up and made the call. I am now a 17th girl, can you change me on the list when you get a chance, BeachBabyK?

I feel a little nauseated.

• brca2chick
    brca2chick Member Posts: 12
    Options

Dafne / 3bears / SheilaW8 / RoseBowl16 / DsMom - good luck this week! Praying for you!

• Mama2BC
    Mama2BC Member Posts: 8
    Options

Hey everyone!

I am joining this group! I was diagnosed May 2016 when I was pregnant with my 2nd son. On 5/25 I have a lumpectomy. On 5/27, my baby was born. He's perfect! 7 months now! I have completed chemo. I am still getting Herceptin. I am gearing up for BMX with reconstruction scheduled for 1/18.

It has been incredibly helpful to read everyone's stories and experiences. Like all of you, right now, the anticipation is the worst. I know the pain and the drains won't be fun. But the anticipation is killing me. The holidays were a nice distraction from this whole ordeal. Reality kicked in pretty much the day after New Years. I know I have to look at the big picture here. But I am quite sad about losing my stupid boobs. I already have these moments when I just don't feel pretty between having had a baby fairly recently and the physical changes that come with chemotherapy side effects. I have tremendous family and friends. They lift me up. Unfortunately, when I talk to them about my sadness around the physical changes, I often feel like I walk away with the feeling that my feelings were minimize. I feel ungrateful for even saying that because of course, they are nothing but kind to me. I think I just want to scream to them, "You don't get it!" I would never expect anyone to "get it" if they hadn't gone through it. And I definitely don't ever want ANYONE to go through it. Maybe I just wish I had a better way of explaining my feelings to everyone. Who knows. Fortunately, these feelings of sadness are not frequent. Just creeping up again because surgery is looming. I know you all know what I mean.

I know there are a ton of boards more specific to some of my questions, but it's difficult to find time to go through all of them. Would anyone mind answering a couple of things for me?

After my maternity leave, I went back to work and worked through my treatment. I have a desk job. I actually work from home. For those of you who have desk jobs, how long do you anticipate being out of work?

Do I need to bring like a surgical bra or cami to my surgery? I don't even own one. Should I buy one. I thought they just wrapped you up with an ace bandage. I did buy 2 sports bras that clasp in the front.

Are any of you having (or did you have) your caregiver spend the night with you at the hospital?

Thanks for listening everyone!!

mama2BC

• Leftcoastie
    Leftcoastie Member Posts: 77
    Options

Good morning ladies. I love hearing from you all! Peppy321, please call your doctor. I'm thinking you shouldn't be in that much pain. I'm praying you find some healing advice. Girls going in for surgery, you're in my prayers for clear nodes, steady hands for your surgeons and a peaceful recovery.

I ripped a stitch last night and am very sore this morning. Think I either reached for something or tried to roll over. However I'm having my first cup of coffee since surgery and praying it will get my bowels moving. It tastes wonderful. ☕️

I think if our minds didn't wonder we wouldn't be human. I have frequent migraines and of coarse I assume I have a tumor from all the cell phone use 😳. Our minds are our own worst enemies. Scary thing about it is I did just have a friend diagnosed with stage IV brain cancer. He had a tumor removed from behind his left ear. Found there are several lesions throughout his brain. He is only 46. Cancer sucks!

We can all fight this together girls! I am so thankful for all of you

• Goincrzy8
    Goincrzy8 Member Posts: 79
    Options

Mama2BC, I had umx in Dec. Older than you no little ones, also have a desk job. I could have gone back to work about 3 weeks later, due to boredom. We are all different. I am having chemo starting soon, so surgeon wrote me off till March, but that will have to be extended. I am having chemo every 14 days.

In regards to the surgical bra, ask the hospital how your DR sends patients home after BMX. I too was wondering and I was told to just wear a button up shirt or a zip up hoodie. My SX did not use a compression bra or wrap. The UMX side was bandaged, and my poor loney R boob has been flopping around. lol

My daughter did by me a GENIE bra and I had a knitted knocker, so onice I had that on even though not great support at least confined and even.

No one stayed at hospital with me, no need for them to not get a good nite sleep. I was in hospital one nite, and the fear of the surgery was worse than the surgery itself. My fear now is CHEMO>

• PugsMama
    PugsMama Member Posts: 337
    Options

I so look forward to my having my morning coffee in bed with my laptop & my girlfriends!

Vargadoll: You have certainly been through a lot & you're right, now cancer too! WTF! They say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger and I certainly admire your strength! You give so much support to all of us & I'm so glad you're here!

3Bears: I can certainly empathize with how you're feeling right now. The night before my surgery, I actually took pictures of my boobs. At that point in time, all I could think of was the loss of my breasts and couldn't feel what I was gaining. The day of my surgery, like Fightingirl said, I was at peace and focused solely on getting the cancer out of my body. I wasn't anxious or stressed and just remembered all of you supporting me and holding my hands and that's what we'll be doing for you tomorrow. Trust that the anxiety will be lifted, only one more day. As I've said before, the surgery is life-giving and a big step toward regaining your health and you'll be feeling all of this tomorrow.

I didn't have any lorazepam but I took a couple of tylenol PM the night before & that helped me sleep. the PM in Tylenol PM is only benadryl, an allergy medicine that causes drowsiness. I've been taking a couple every night and it really helps me fall asleep.

Fightingirl: so glad you messaged win-chimed, I don't think Marimucho has checked in yet either. she's one of the sexy sixers! Has anyone heard from her?

GT1965: I'm an info hound too! When my PS came to see me the next day in the hospital, I had a list of questions written down and he joked with the nurse, saying about me, "she's my information chick." Knowledge is power my friend and no one will advocate for you like yourself! Welcome!

docmama: First of all, congratulations on the clear nodes! That's fantastic news that so many of us on here have been able to share over the past week. I'm going to tell my doctors about the thoracic epidural the next time I see them. What a wonderful option for so many of us that have a hard time handling the narcotics. Many choose pain rather than the horrible side effects!

Elem: You are always offering encouragement & support to everyone here but you haven't mentioned how your recovery is going..... Smooth sailing, I hope!

DCISinAZ: Welcome. There's a very very good chance if the MRI showed your nodes clear that they are. I know none of us will be reassured until we get our pathology reports but MRIs more often show false positives rather than false negatives.

Maya15: Congratulations to moving to OTC pain meds. I felt great when the narcotic brain fog started to lift! I think they gave me a dull headache too. I know you have your appt. tomorrow. Hope you're happy with your results. I can't wait until my foobs don't look like Frankenfoobs!

Amul17: Welcome. Glad you're here & we'll be here to support you!

jinmo: making the appt. makes it real...You won't be alone to go through this. We'll all be with you!

Mama2BC: Glad you're here. I'm starting to realize that our fears and anxieties not only affect us, but they affect all of our relationships. I feel so self-absorbed right now and not really "present" with other people. I hate that & hoping that I get some balance with this over time. There is no doubt that we all know how you feel and you can bring everything here. Lord knows, I do! The only question I can answer is that you don't have to bring any special clothes to the hospital when you have your surgery but like Goincrzy8 said, when you have your pre-surgery appointment with your PS, they'll confirm that for you. They sent me home in a "surgical bra" (which I hate) & I have to just leave it on until my follow-up visit. Bring a large button down shirt to go home in....thats all.

I didn't have a caregiver & I was lucky enough to be able to go home the next day. I can only share my experience but I didn't regret not having one. There's not much "body maintenance" that I needed. They would come in and empty my drains, check my BP & accompany me to the bathroom, between that & the leg compressors, you'll be lucky to get any sleep! Bring earplugs & lozenges to the hospital.

Leftcoastie: sorry you ripped a stitch...I think that's how I got blood on my surgical bra, unconsciously trying to roll over in bed. I've since pinned them to the front of my bra instead of having them hang off the sides. UGH. Hope you're not too sore...

On a personal note, I'm off to the BS on Wednesday for my follow-up visit & to get my pathology report & I assume start working on a treatment plan. I'm not ready for this next phase but what else is new? I haven't been ready for any of this LOL! My latest anxiety is about treatment, but I'm sure I'll move on to mets in no time!

Convinced my husband to go skiing today! He's retired & has a season pass to a local ski area & was reluctant to go because he thinks he has to take care of me 24/7. I appreciate his dedication to taking care of me but quite frankly, I think the break will be good for both of us!

Thank for the poop prayers...they worked! Yay! And..Leftcoastie...you inspired me! I washed my hair this morning - feel like a new woman!

Prayers for all going this week & all recovering from last week!

xoxo Liz

• DsMom
    DsMom Member Posts: 46
    Options

Hi all - just back from pre-op appt...fairly uneventful. I'm one of those weirdos who love to clean so the next 3 days for me will be making our house spotless. My husband (God love him) tells me "relax! Have a nap! Take it easy!" He just doesn't get it how satisfying it is and how much it makes me happy to have a clean house. There's even a wall I want to paint and if I am super productive I may get that done! lol. I am weirdly not nervous about this as of right now...I just want it to be done. I'm honestly really anxious to get back to work - I've been off since I was diagnosed mid November. If all goes well and no unanticipated complications my goal is to be back 30 Jan...fingers crossed!

• Maya15
    Maya15 Member Posts: 112
    Options

peppy321, it sounds like you may have cording. I got it after my first surgery and lost the use of my right arm. I got a referral to PT right away and I'm so glad I did. They gave me gentle stretching exercises to repeat many times a day and did gentle massage of the cords. It made an immediate difference. I also had excruciating burning pain from the nerves being cut, and for that I took Neurontin. For the exercises, just go as far as you are comfortable (but not in pain) and repeat many times.

Goincrzy8, what chemo are you having?

• annoyingboob
    annoyingboob Member Posts: 459
    Options

I know a lot of you out there are anxious about your upcoming surgery or path reports, so I thought I would provide some humor this am - I POOPED!! Yay me!! Those gummy fibers from Costco did the trick!!

I think I'm the queen bee here, logging in at 5'10. Every time I stood up at ps office or postop in hospital they would say, 'wow, you are tall!' I guess lying in bed we all look the same, lol!!

I work from home at a desk job, and worked 7 hours last night, no problem. Postop day 3 from lumpies and reduction/lift. Easy. When I go for mastectomy, I imagine it will be at least 2-3 weeks, so you warriors going through that now, keep me posted!!

I'm off for my first shower bc I STINK!! I ripped off the bandages last night bx they were so itchy and now time to scrub a dub.

Good luck to those going in this week. Just remember you are just going to an island paradise and when you wake up, all of us will be at the bar swapping stories. I think this week I'd like a pina colada. Cheers!!

• Elem
    Options

Just had a call from surgeon with the final path report. He said there was a small area of invasive ductal carcinoma. So from DCIS to this! He said the margins were clear and we got it all . It was very very small . But now he says I may want to check armpit lymph nodes just to be sure. Does this sound right? I was going to a cardiology yearly check up at the time so my BP was a little high from me freaking out. I am home now. He mentioned probably getting somecradiation further down the road . I am going to pop a lorazapam ! If any one has experienced this let ne know !

• Fightingirl
    Fightingirl Member Posts: 328
    Options

I had a lot to catch up on this morning but soooo good to hear from all of you! Welcome to the new ladies...standard line is truly sorry you are here BUT this is the most amazing group of women going through what you are and a huge support system. Don't be scared off by our poop prayer because in time you'll see the need for that and it's working for many of us! Congrats to all have finally gotten the relief and continued prayers for those still needing it.

Wow Vargadoll, that is a whole lot of stuff. You are an amazing strong woman and I do hope you have a lot more sun shining on you soon. Yes, I've had my implants since 2000.

I'm in the imagined mets club too. It's hard not too. I've also experienced deep aches in my legs and hips for some time now and wondering if I should see about a PET scan.

Elam, congrats on clear margins! I do believe that they don't check nodes with DCIS but if invasive then they do. I had several taken during my surgery on friday but I already had 2 cm invasive ductal carcinoma. I'm not doctor but I think I may have read that somewhere. Use that lorazepam girl and just know that additional testing will only help ease your mind that they got it. Hopefully you'll have clear nodes.

For those with "cancered" out friends or husbands...it's not really their fault. We are so consumed by it naturally and though they are worried and care for us it's just not the dominate thought in their brain and they need a break. That's why this place is good to come to. It's hard even sometimes myself when talking to other people and they are telling me their problems and I'm thinking "ha! Try being in my head for a day!" I know that's not right and it'as all relative. I don't want to be bitter about this. It happened and not that long ago those same problems were huge to me. Also, I find that even if I try to keep cancer out of a conversation...it somehow comes in sometimes. We have friends that want to plan a cruise with us in March....um well, I can't exactly make plans. I might be doing chemo! It's very frustrating isn't it?

Without going back to each post, I want to say I'm so happy for all that are getting good news, starting to feel better, and those that are now pooping! For those feeling some struggles, hang in there and let us be here for you.

DCISinAZ, if you ever want to meet up, let me know. Everyday, I think how wonderful it would be if we could all meet someday. In a short amount of time, you girls have all come to mean the world to me.

Prayers for the Tough Tens going in tomorrow. We'll be here holding your hand, Find the bungalows over the waters and make sure to visit the virtual bar for a lovely fruity drink. Much love sisters!!

I'm expecting results from pathalogy today or tomorrow but sounds like most likely tomorrow so I've got the lorazepam in the system today trying not to freak out!

• Dfarm13
    Dfarm13 Member Posts: 3
    Options

I am so happy I found this thread. I am due to have a lumpectomy on Friday this week. However, I am still waiting for the results on the BRCA test. They did a blood test on Dec. 15 and something was messed up and they did it again on Dec. 21. If it comes back positive I'm having a mastectomy not a lumpectomy. The plastic surgeon is not available on Friday so we would have to move the surgery date. The waiting is horrible. Are there any teachers out there? My boss has been great but, when you are out, you are responsible to write lesson plans. I think that is stressing me out too. Not knowing when I'll be out and for how long. So happy I found all of you.

The poop stories made me laugh:)

• nem126
    nem126 Member Posts: 37
    Options

This Thursday, 1/12: Lumpectomy L Breast, Surgical Biopsy R Breast, Sentinel Node biopsy

Prayers and thoughts to all of you. Let's do this thing!!!! Not like we have a choice ;)

• nem126
    nem126 Member Posts: 37
    Options

Dfarm13:

Very similar situation to mine! I got my BRCA results back and they are negative thank God. So I am going ahead with the lumpectomy. Also had some microcalcs show up on the other breast, so they are taking those out during surgery, then will biopsy. So, I guess for now, my boobs are on a "stay of execution." The mental part is tough... hang in!

• Dfarm13
    Dfarm13 Member Posts: 3
    Options

stay of execution I like that:)

• DCISinAZ
    DCISinAZ Member Posts: 135
    Options

elem - i'm sorry to hear it was not pure DCIS, but my breast surgeon said even if there is microinvasion which it sounds like yours might be considering you said it's really small, it doesn't change your overall outcome. I am having a sentinel node biopsy at the same time because I am having a mastectomy, and my understanding is you lose the opportunity for a sentinel node biopsy he once you have a mastectomy. I'm sorry to hear that you are having to go for another surgery so soon after your lumpectomy, and additional waiting.

Prayers for your recovery and for good news on your lymph node biopsy.

• Cowboy-Up
    Cowboy-Up Member Posts: 161
    Options

Encouraging to hear how well you are doing since this is what I will be doing next Tuesday. I was going through some dental surgeries at the time of diagnosis. They want to try and fit an implant in before breast surgery so I can heal at the same time and before I do anything the will compromise my immune system. Like I need more stress. Lo

• Elem
    Options

thank you DCISinAZ. I didn't realize how happy I was with that diagnosis , until I got this one. The surgeon did say thst he debated whether we even needed to to the sentinel , so maybe it is very minut, but regardless , I hate the freaking out part. I was actually telling my friends along with a picture . I had breast cancer and now I don't! Very proudly too! Thank you for letting me know the outcome should be the same . That is comforting indeed. I love all the courageous women herevthat are going through so much , yet are so positive and delightful to hear from everyday. Without you , I would be a mess . I took a 1/2 of a lorazapam and am just relaxing for the rest of the day . When are you scheduled or you mastectomy DCISinAz. ? Thank you again for your insight and kind words🙏

• Elem
    Options

a stay of execution ! Love that