Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

January 2017 Surgery Group

Options

Comments

• docmama
    docmama Member Posts: 126
    Options

Good Morning and Happy 2017 to all!

DsMom, that really sucks about the appointment! I'm surprised you didn't get a call or text from the Dr. the day before confirming your appointment as that seems to be the norm these days. I say it's their fault, not yours! I hope that you can still have your surgery on the original date of 12 January, but if it's delayed use the time to thoroughly research your type of tumor and the treatment options open to you. Has your medical oncologist discussed the pathology report with you?

My surgeon also gave me an option - just remove the affected breast or remove them both. I opted for the bilateral with immediate reconstruction because 1, I didn't want to have to deal with the worry over the other breast (mammograms/ultrasounds, etc.) and 2, I wanted as much done during one procedure as I could tolerate. That will include tissue expanders with subsequent implants.

There is so much information on this site, use it to your advantage. And remember we are all here for you!

Angie

• DsMom
    DsMom Member Posts: 46
    Options

I haven't told anyone either...only of course my husband and another close friend who does not know my family. I honestly would prefer not to tell anyone and just get this done. I don't live close to any of my family and likely would not see anyone for the next several months. Is that weird? I just don't feel comfortable sharing this...I think with me it's a matter of a show of weakness. My husband and I are both in the Army and I think that gives us a different mentality than most. I also lost my mother at age 56, her mother at age 52 and her sister at age 40, so I think just the "C" word sends everyone in my family into a panic. :(

• DsMom
    Options

Thanks Angie. What I know is invasive ductal...one cancer for sure, perhaps 2 (tumours close together). The confirmed one is around 2 cms and the second one is approx .5 cms. Based on the initial biopsy the surgeon said "nothing to indicate it is particularly aggressive" at the time I didn't know enough to ask more questions. Here in Canada you don't see an oncologist until after the pathology results are received post surgery - I find it odd. Surgeon said likely no radiation if mastectomy, but he's not the oncologist. My biggest frustration is I feel a lack of coordination here...3 different Drs (including PS) and none seem to really consult each other. The whole reconstruction at the time of surgery was briefly mentioned as "it's up to you...but you can easily wait and focus on your recovery and worry about reconstruction later" which seemed like a reasonable suggestion at the time, but now I wonder if I should have pushed harder for that. Sigh....

• Fightingirl
    Fightingirl Member Posts: 328
    Options

DsMom, so sorry to hear about your added stress. I know you don't need that right now! I also had a rough start where I had a bad MRI that the radiologist couldn't read and a battle because insurance only pays for one. In the end, I got a second one and the first place agreed to not bill my insurance. They did a botched job and messed up things they shouldn't have, so in the end, it worked in my favor but caused stress I didn't need either. I also had to have 3 additional areas biopsies from the 2nd MRI. Not to mention it delayed my surgery! I was diagnosed 11/8 and surgery is 1/6. I met with a reconstructive surgeon and in the end decided on a lumpectomy. It really is a personal decision and so long as you have some time to get get yourself fully informed, you should take that time. For me, I have no family history, genetics testing did not turn up any known genes, and the recurrence rate between lumpectomy vs mastectomy was very slim. I just wanted someone to tell me what was best but of course nobody can! You will feel relief after you've mad made your decision...my hubby and I went to dinner to celebrate because as you are in this I uncontollable situation, every time you have a little owner from feels so good. Best of luck in your decision... whatever feels right for you.

Vargadoll, I understand how hard it must be but I'm certain your parents and everyone else will like to be there for you during this time. For me, that was the hardest part in the beginning and truth be told still is. I'm very independent and everyone wants to be there and help and it's hard to get used to. I never asked my husband to go to my first biopsy because first I didn't think there was anyway it would come back as cancer and second, the breast center is right by my work so I just figured I'd go to work, run down and get biopsy and head back to work! That's exactly what I did. By the time I needed additional biopsies, I realized how nice it was to have someone there. I've been told by the people closest to me that allowing others to be there is just as much for them as you. They too feel helpless so being there is what they can do. Maybe read some stuff about how to tell people? Best wishes

• DsMom
    Options

Fightingirl...I was intrigued by your comment about recurrence - my surgeon told me there was a 25% recurrence rate for someone with a previous breast cancer (vs 10% for someone without a history) and essentially nearly 0% if you opt for a mastectomy. Were you told something different? This is what is driving my decision for mastectomy so I'm very interested if there is different information out there!

• Fightingirl
    Options

that is interesting! I was fully going with double mastectomy until I met with plastic surgeon. After being told it's only very slightly higher chance of recurrence, I scoured the web and decided that was the way for me personally. There are pros/cons to each of course but like you, I was fortunate to have the choice where not everyone does. I certainly don't want to persuade you one way or the other as it's so personal, but definitely do the research so you are 100 percent comfortable with your decision. These boards can help so much also...I'm happy to share why I chose lumpectomy if you'd like to know and I'm sure others would share reasons they chose mastectomy. This may or may not be helpful but let us know if we can help

• DsMom
    Options

Yes - please share if you don't mind!

• Fightingirl
    Options

of course! First as mentioned, the recurrence factor between the 2 is a small percentage. (From what I was told and found in my research) i want my own breasts. I am 43 and my husband and I are active! I like being able to feel them. The lumpectomy is much easier on the body and recovery is a week vs at least 6 on the mastectomy. This will allow me to get back to work sooner as well as other things I enjoy. Financially better for me as well to get back to work. I have no family history, I had none of the discovered genes, and as far as can be told before they cut lymph nodes during surgery, nothing detected there. As you can see, it's all very personal and every cancer and details one of cancer are different. My husband said financially wasn't allowed to go on my pros list but I considered it anyway! Of course it is just a small plus because i consider my life most important! The mastectomy with reconstruction I originally considered was a long process. I just didn't want to go through that if I don't have to. There are def downsides my decision...I will for sure have to have radiation, I may need additional surgery if no clean margins, may need some fixing up of the breast for symmetry and I am certain I will always have dread come mammogram time. I must reiterate that I don't think my decision is best for everyone or that anyone who chooses mastectomy is wrong.

This was just the best for me and as you can see looking at January surgery list, most are choosing the mastectomy! I hope if anything it just gives you things to consider for making the best decision for you. It was the worst trying to make mine because there are just so many variables at a time when you are scared and vulnerable and it's almost too much to take in

• DsMom
    Options

Thanks for your thoughts....we're the same age - I'm 43 as well. I have a three year old and we're both military as well as athletes so I also dread the recovery. That being said, I was able to start training for a half marathon 5 weeks after a c-section so I'm confident I will rebound quickly. Sigh....so much to consider! I'm very lucky from a financial standpoint...in the military (Canada) we get unlimited sick leave at 100% pay. I haven't been to work since I received my diagnosis in November and it's basically up to me (within reason) when I go back.

• PugsMama
    PugsMama Member Posts: 337
    Options

OMG, DsMom, what a nightmare you're going through! Here in the U.S., I think reconstruction is always discussed up front because it's federal law that insurance has to pay for reconstruction for a lumpectomy (if you need it) or mastectomies if you have breast cancer. There are positives about waiting for the recon though and I considered waiting myself if only to buy myself more time before making a decision. The recon decision was torture for me, much harder than the mastectomy decision. The pros on waiting is that you heal much faster from the mastectomies & it's easier to shop around for the PS, you're not tied into the one that works with your breast surgeon. Of course the negative is that you're looking at another surgery down the road....but instead of one invasive surgery, you have two not so bad ones.

I also have two lumps in the same breast. The small one was biopsied during the MRI which came back as cancerous. The 2nd was previously biopsied during a sonogram and was negative then but it's changing shape & growing & bc of the scar tissue, to have it biopsied would require more of a lumpectomy. They didn't bother because I'm opting for bilateral mastectomies due to my genetic mutation & strong family history. If I were low risk, I would be a candidate for a lumpectomy also, although I'm not sure I would have chosen that anyway but It's hard to me to look at this through the lens of not being at high risk for cancer. It will be very easy for you to find out the pros & cons of lumpectomy vs. mastectomy, the hard part will be deciding which way you should go...While I didn't choose lumpectomy, I personally know a couple of older women who had lumpectomies at least 10-20 years ago & they're doing fine!

Anyway, I won't be seeing an oncologist until post-surgery either since I won't get a pathology report until the breasts are removed. I don't think it's that unusual unless you need treatment before surgery. I know I'm not the only one in this group having surgery this month that doesn't yet have a treatment plan.

Vargadoll, as far as telling other people, everyone in my life knows. I'm a pretty open person & a several of my friends have already had cancer of one sort or another. My personal philosophy is I'll take all the prayers I can get! I did ask them not to treat me any differently & to feel comfortable asking me anything. What makes me uncomfortable is that I feel really self-absorbed with all this cancer sh*t right now, but I guess that comes with the territory. Like Fightingirl (& probably many of you here), I'm very independent & self-sufficient so It's hard for me to ask for or accept help, but I try to remember how good it feels when I'm there for the people in my life and they'll feel just as good being there for me. I'm blessed with a lot of love & support, and I wouldn't have that if I kept it to myself. On the other hand, one of my dear friends has sarcoma & she's told hardly anyone & I think she told me only because she knows that I have cancer. You have to do what fits with your nature, if you're a very private person, being quiet about it may make sense to you. My only advice would be that if you're quiet about it out of fear of how people will react, I would give that a second thought. This process has fear associated with every aspect of dealing with it and you may be surprised at how good other people's support feels.

The hardest person to tell was my mom, because I knew she would blame herself bc I inherited her "rotten genes," as she calls them. She had bilateral breast cancer at age 58, one year older than I am now, & we both share the same BRACA2 mutation. I waited until there was a plan in place before telling her so she wouldn't have to worry over unknowns. Then I gave her some research to do re: various reconstruction options & kept reassuring her that it was caught early & my prognosis is good. It might have been a little easier to tell her because she's been through it, I don't know. I'm not a mom but I can't imagine it's easy for any parent to hear that their child has cancer, no matter how old they are but if you are a parent yourself, I imagine you know how resilient parents can be when the going gets tough & your kids need you.

Liz

• Fightingirl
    Options

that is great you are able to take this time off. I'm an office manager for a small real estate office so there is no medical leave. My boss has been amazing and I'm sure I'll be paid having next week off but I know that he wouldn't have been able to pay for 6 weeks off having to get someone to replace me temporarily. I have been working full time since diagnosis and in all honesty, even though I'll be out next week following surgery, I'm looking forward to it in a weird way. I need some down time from the emotional toll and to prepare myself for what may come next in this journey.

• BeachBabyK
    BeachBabyK Member Posts: 148
    Options

ajbclan - Glad that you are good to go and everything worked out!

Docmama - I'll be stopping by Costco soon! $7/shirt is great!

Dsmom - I think your's is a decision that we have all had to struggle with! In my case, the Dr wants to do a lumpectomy (and has actually scheduled it for Friday) and I am fighting for a BMX. Not sure why I am having to fight for it, but I am hoping that when I see the Plastic Surgeon this week that she will be on my side!

Vargadoll - I actually shared my diagnosis with very few people. I told my family,of course (which is so incredibly hard to do), but not too many others. If people asked me about it, I was forthcoming, but didn't make any announcements or Facebook posts or anything. I took a leave from my work and only advised them that it was for health reasons. They do not need the gritty details. To me, my diagnosis is personal, the fact that so many people can figure it out due to hair loss bugs me. I am a very private person and cancer has taken that away from me in a way and I hate it!

Fightingirl - my reasons for wanting a mastectomy are multiple. I have "very dense and lumpy breasts" as I have been told every year during my annual exam. My MO even went around my breast during one exam pointing out all of the lumps that could be tumors when he couldn't feel my tumor anymore (it sounds bad, but it was more of a "man, I get why it's hard to tell" thing). I have never had a mammogram where I have not had to go back for further screenings and have had previous scares (both breasts). My Gma on one side had breast cancer and on the other had Ovarian. I also do not want to go through radiation if I don't have to as it's a one-shot deal. My cancer was also very aggressive. Also,I am 47 and have recovered well from previous surgeries. I just don't want to have to stress year in and year out more than I am already forced to do.

• Kawigirl1260
    Kawigirl1260 Member Posts: 16
    Options

Hi Ladies, and Happy New Year! I know this is primarily for gals with January 2017 surgery dates. I had my first surgery in January of 2016 and just wanted to say that you can come through this and out the other side doing well. I had a lumpectomy/SNB, then re-excision because of dirty margins with the first surgery, then a right-side mastectomy because the re-excision still had cancerous margins. Because my lymph nodes were clear, and I chose the mx, I was able to forgo rads and chemo.

I chose the single mx because my MO and BS said they didn't recommend a bilateral due to no family history. My MO explained that the two breasts are different "systems". Said my best options for non-recurrence were mx and AI for 5 years since mine is ER+. I chose no recon because, like several of you have mentioned, I wanted to do the least necessary. To be honest, I struggled more with the very first surgery than with the mx. On the day of my mx - June 2 - I checked in the outpatient surgery center at 8:30 a.m. and was home by 2:30 that afternoon. Even went to dinner and a car show the next day to celebrate my DH's b'day. The worst parts about the mx were that bothersome drain (in for 10 days) then the compression bra - 3 weeks.

I'm 56, married for 33 years with a married son. I've never questioned my decision about the surgery.

And, I agree, let your support system help. It is as much for them as for you. I have sitting on my fireplace hearth a beautiful pink and white basket that my colleagues gave me. It's filled with cards, coloring books, and dried flowers from so many caring friends and family. It's a daily reminder about how loved and blessed I am. I also have a prayer shawl knitted by some women at my church. I've taken it with me to every surgery and it's been such a comfort - especially in those cold hospital rooms!

Sending up prayers for all of you as you face the many decisions and struggles ahead of you. I can't believe it's been a year since my dx. I'm glad you've found this place. It's filled with caring, up-lifting folks who are walking or have walked the path that you're currently on.

Keep breathing................

Pat

• PugsMama
    Options

Pat, thank you so much for checking in with us & glad you're well. It's so reassuring to hear from someone a year ahead of us in the process! It's true, we all share a bond here and I believe we keep each other going!! We're all in cancer boot camp together...

• DsMom
    Options

Thanks for your insight Pat. I was told that standard of care here for a pre-menopausal woman would almost automatically include chemo which I'm dreading. You were "lucky" (if there can be lucky in these circumstances) to not have chemo. I am dreading losing my hair more than the boob! I have very small breasts and I've never really been happy with them...I'd chose my hair if I could lol. Maybe I'll end up with a nicer shape after reconstruction!

• ajbclan
    ajbclan Member Posts: 396
    Options

Hi Ladies- wishing those having surgery this next week, smooth sailing! I've been reading your posts- even though I'm home from the hospital this clot and cellulius are painful and laying me up. I think I'm having a harder time with this in a way because I don't have an answer of when this will be better and having chemo which brings my immune system down it's just crazy trying to heal. I guess it's all prep work for surgery. It's also frustrating as I'm not sure which Dr to tell and do a follow up with lol. MO, PCP, should let my BS know and make sure there's nothing I need to know for surgery...geez...no straight answer. That's my rant haha.

Beachbaby- I think your struggle with the Dr (is that your BS or oncologist wanting lumpectomy?) I think is because there's studies out there showing that women with a lumpectomy are not having more of a reoccurrence than with mastectomy: http://www.breastcancer.org/research-news/more-dou.... I totally agree this is something each of us have to decide for ourselves and listen to our own gut on what's best for our situation.

My decision was never in question of a double mastectomy with reconstruction. But I've known this choice for years- my mom had BC twice and also had colon cancer. We have other women in the family with BC as well. Everyone has tested negative for the BRCA genes, however I have a "variance" on PALB2 so we have to wait and see if it turns out to be an actual mutation. I'm also an A cup so don't feel like I'm losing much lol, but I'm sure it'll be emotional at some point. I have a good 4 tumors in my right breast. They refer to it as a "mass". My KI67 score was 90% so considered aggressive and why I had chemo first.

BUT....something I wasn't aware of is that a BMX does not leave you in the clear for no BC in the future. Unfortunately they can't get all the breast tissue and cells out. As you're all probably aware they can't see all the cancer cells in any of the tests....one could be floating around. Not to scare all of you but it's not a guarantee.....but I'm wanting to do whatever I can to lower my risk and my worry so going for it. Dsmom- I CAN'T agree with you more on your frustration! I was so happy to learn that my Dr's DO work together- they have weekly meetings to go over each patient, so I have built in 2nd opinions. My mom's situation was like yours and was super frustrating!!

One thing I have to say is having cancer does not make anyone weak....this is not a choice, this has nothing to do with anything we may have done or not done. While my body isn't 100% healthy, each piece of this journey is making me stronger than I thought I could be. Do I have down moments, absolutely- but we learn to pick ourselves back up and fight for another day and I appreciate my future and want to make sure I take advantage of living life once I can.

Telling folks: my mom passed away in April and my dad has been gone for 25 years- so I don't have experience with that, but I know if my mom was here and healthy she'd be my biggest support. We all have to do what's best for us. I don't like help, don't bring me a casserole lol. BUT...I don't care what people know for the most part. Also I didn't want to deal with telling multiple people at multiple times because I don't have hair, or I can't participate in something etc. Part of my "packet" after diagnosis had a flyer for Caringbridge. It's a free website where you (or someone else on your behalf) can post updates. So instead of multiple calls/texts/emails- if someone wants to know how I'm doing, they can go to the site. Also- then I don't have to explain myself to anyone. I did have 2 moments where I had a hard time vocalizing it. I had a mom at my daughters school that didn't know. I had cut my long hair into a pixie cut in prep for losing it with chemo. She had lots of nice questions of why I cut it. I felt like there were a ton of eyes on me- some knew and some did not. I opened my mouth and as tears started flowing I could only mouth "I have breast cancer". Then I got some pitty hugs which I hated haha! I told my friends I'd rather you flip me off than hug me. So one of my Christian mom friends got me middle finger socks lol! I wore them to each chemo treatment and now might put them on for surgery. If you tell your friends and family what you need for support (texts, chances to take a walk for me) and what you don't want (hugs and casseroles for me lol)- they will listen and want to be there for you!! But we all have to do what's best for ourselves on this journey. No right or wrong!

• Kawigirl1260
    Options

DsMom, I've seen in my MO's office that the American Cancer Society gives away really cute caps. Are there such "opportunities" in Canada? I keep my hair cut quite short, so, when people find out I'm a cancer survivor, they automatically assume it's growing back in from chemo treatments. I have a friend who used her time in chemo as an opportunity to try various wigs. She had a different hairstyle quite regularly.

And, you're right, I'm very lucky. And I sometimes feel some "survivor's guilt." Just comes with my territory.

I, too, have always been small-busted. Makes my "lopsidedness" almost unnoticeable if I choose to go braless. I do miss my "sexy" Victoria's Secret bras, though.

What has gotten me through this is keeping a sense of humor. I've said from the get-go, I can laugh or I can despair, and I refuse to despair. So we laugh a lot around my house and my work. And my "mantra" is "Peace - No Fear." Gonna get a tattoo of that one!

• DsMom
    Options

Thanks PugsMama/Liz - thanks - good to hear some "positives" about waiting for reconstruction. I was told if I wanted it at the time of surgery they could possibly delay it a week or 2 and see who is available...not exactly how I want to select a PS - based on who isn't busy! If indeed I do go with mastectomy which is what I'm leaning towards, that will buy me some time to meet a few PSs and select one in a far less chaotic/emotional state. Reconstruction is also covered here...everything is which isn't purely cosmetic.

BeachBabyK - why are you fighting for BMX? Is there a genetic component? I'm not even sure if that would be an option here if your other breast is healthy. Funny part is the mammogram and US which picked up the lump (I didn't!) was done because of the other breast! Ever since I stopped breast feeding 2.5 yrs ago my nipple has been inverted. It was inverted before baby, but would come out when stimulated - after breast feeding, nothing...could not even manually force it out. I didn't think much of it based on how it had been before, and it's actually sometimes an odd after effect from breastfeeding...like the fibers start pulling the wrong way. Anyways, I went in to see if we could get it corrected because I hate it and was sent for the mammogram/US as a precaution; needless to sat I was shocked when the lump was found on the other side! I guess on some weird level I should consider myself lucky. I'm exactly like you about the diagnosis - there will certainly not be any social media announcements, or photos or whatever. I'm still considering who to tell. I did tell my supervisor and he had to tell a few of the "higher-ups" because of my extended sick leave but I'm fine with that. I'm actually really anxious to get back to work but not sure how I'll deal with the whole hair loss thing. Wigs freak me out...I highly doubt I will want one, and because we wear a uniform, I wouldn't be able to wear a hat or scarf. I'm thinking I will make a special request to wear civilian clothing til my hair grows in. Good times! I can't believe I'm having this conversation... :(

• Kawigirl1260
    Options

Kelly, I too am fortunate to have docs who work as a team. Makes things so much easier! Kinda like getting a 4th and 5th opinion at once.

I love the finger socks! My colleagues gave me a "FU** Cancer" t-shirt with a side-ways pink ribbon as the "ck." And I'd rather have a funny card than a casserole any day!

I used CaringBridge since I have a lot of friends and family spread across the nation, lots of whom aren't on social media. I didn't want to fill up FB, so I just posted the CB link on my FB page and went from there. Not only did it keep folks informed from one place, it was really quite therapeutic to blog about what was going on and what I was feeling/experiencing. So many folks who read it and kept up commented on how they felt honored to be able to experience my journey with me and to know how to help. I highly recommend it!

• PugsMama
    Options

I could never see myself posting anything about this on social media....a little too much oversharing imho. But the Caring Bridge site sounds like something worth checking out! Thx for the tip

• Did-not-see-this-coming
    Options

Well, I've changed my mind and decided to go for mastectomy without reconstruction versus the lumpectomy - I would never forgive myself if I had a reoccurrence. I just know too many people who were s stage 1 the first time around and ended up with more advanced stage the second time. So I will be a uniboob with a prosthetic - and I'm absolutely ok with it

• PugsMama
    Options

Did-not-see: congratulations on making your decision! Isn't it a relief to finally decide & be OK with it? Happy for you

Options

My surgeon told me there was a 2% reoccurrence rate with mastectomy and 4-6 % with lumpectomy If that's any help

Options

Pugsmama - My surgeon had actually confused me with options, but after talking to someone who had a lumpectomy with occurrence, I knew I had to go with my gut and have the mastectomy. God forbid it comes back, I will have known I did everything I could the first time!!!

• DsMom
    Options

Did-not-see-this-coming - it's very frustrating to hear the info you were given was so very different than mine...my surgeon told me overall there is a 10% chance of anyone getting BC but a 25% rate of recurrence in someone who has already had it!! That's a far cry from 4-6%!

Edited: I should have been more specific...25% chance in 15-20 years, but still!!

Options

Dsmom - just another reason to go with my gut!! As I'm going to be writing my capstone for my masters in nursing during all of this, I know research can be skewed based on how you ask a question. I'd rather the opinion of a survivor versus a surgeon any day!!

• Maya15
    Maya15 Member Posts: 112
    Options

Wow, so much to catch up on and surgery day is fast approaching. I'm a little excited for this one because this is where I get my nipples and final breast shapes. My results so far are looking really good though.

I am one of those for whom BMX was actually the medical recommendation. I had 5 tumors on the right side, cancer in the nipple and in a bunch of lymph nodes. On the left side they had to remove a radial scar and between that and the fact that I'm young, the lumps were not detectable and the cancer was very aggressive, it was best to remove everything.

Being part of the "January 2017" group makes me realize what a long slog this has been--I first joined the January 2016 chemo group.

If you're getting tissue expanders, be prepared for a fair amount of pain in the first few days, and it will look really horrible at first. Once they inflate the expanders it will look much better. They are rock hard, so not the most comfortable, but I did end up with a really nice shape for the final breast. The TEs can be overfilled, so it doesn't matter that much what size they use. It will be up to you and your PS to decide how much to fill them (as long as your skin can stretch), and you can always change your mind later about size or type of reconstruction.

• docmama
    docmama Member Posts: 126
    Options

Good Morning everyone! I feel like I'm "nesting" in advance of Friday's surgery. I woke with a start at 5am and have since cleaned out the fridge. Yesterday I tackled bathroom cabinets, today my closet. Just trying to keep those panic attacks at bay. So glad today is a holiday from work!

• Leftcoastie
    Leftcoastie Member Posts: 77
    Options

Happy New Year ladies! Wow so much to catch up on. We can all relate with everyone's struggles. It sucks we are here, but it's great to have each other.

Anxiety has kicked in big time for me! My sister in law had a New Years party that was also doubled as a good bye boobies party for me. I made myself sick with worry over this whole thing. Didn't feel well at all on Saturday. Ended up going and it was a wonderful time (I didn't even drink). I live in a very small town and most of my friends and family are life long friends. They were all there to cheer me on. They made me a "fuck cancer" sign out of cupcakes and a huge get well poster that everyone signed. They also all put on pink gloves and took a great group photo with me. A friend also gave me a tshirt that said cancer picked the wrong chick to mess with! Super cute. I did not want all this fanfare but bottom line, I am blessed and feel so loved. We all need support.

Yesterday I cleaned most of my house and bought a few needed items. I'm working today and tomorrow packing and moving my office, and cleaning out my car. Keeping busy is good but I have had a major headache for 3 days! Anyone else get headaches on tamoxifen? I'm sure its stress and anxiety.

I'm praying and thinking of you all. I will post as soon as I can after surgery and let you all know how I'm doing. I check in at 10 am and surgery is at 1:30 on Wednesday.

Everyone stay positive and remember, this too shall pass!!

• Fightingirl
    Options

Glad you are all staying busy and I sure understand that to keep the panic at bay! I do have to say that I believe I'm now the only January lumpectomy and it's making me wonder if I made the right decision. I felt so sure this was right for me but now reading posts, I'm feeling confused! It's nobody's fault by any means, you all are just stating your personal reasons and personal experiences as I was doing for DsMom regarding my choice. I feel slightly panicked! I'm going to stay with my decision but naturally reading all these posts made me think I hope like hell I know what I'm doing!!! :)

Maya15, I'm so glad you have come this far and are loving the result! Best of luck tomorrow.

Did-not-see-this-coming, It's such a tough decision, I'm glad you found the one for you!

DocMama, I wish I had the day off...I have so much more at home I'd like to accomplish than I do here at work! My recovery will be much shorter but I am the type that has a hard time relaxing unless I know everything is clean and in order! I started on my home last week, got the Christmas stuff down this weekend, and I'm sure this week with all the nerves leading up to Friday surgery I will get a whole lot more done. Remember to rest though some DocMama...saying this for both of us because you remind me of myself! What time is your surgery on Friday?

LeftCoastie, isn't it so wonderful that have all that support? I love the idea of the pic with pink gloves! We went to dinner on Friday with good friends and they brought me bags full of goodies to color, puzzles and crosswords. So sweet and touching. Will definitely have you in my thoughts on Wednesday.

PugsMama, I ended up using my Facebook as a place to post updates and yes it felt very uncomfortable at first. I did not want to seem that I was needy for attention or a poor me type thing...I had not heard of caring bridge and it was the easiest to update everyone at once because I was not doing good keeping up with texts/calls/messages etc. I also had a really bad flu the following Friday after I was diagnosed and lost my voice for days so I decided to just get it all out there. I received a lot of wonderful support and messages and whenever I feel sad, I like to go back and read them for strength. I know it's not for everyone though and I'm pretty much an open book about anything so if you are more private then this would be really strange! I will also be thinking of you on Wednesday.