Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

January 2017 Surgery Group

Options

Comments

• Sr2295
    Sr2295 Member Posts: 22
    Options

hi all,

Good luck to everyone with scheduled surgery this week. I finished my chemo on 12/27 and will be scheduling surgery after I meet with the BS on 1/11. Not sure of what or when yet but so thankful for all of your posts!!

• tennischick888
    tennischick888 Member Posts: 5
    Options

Hi ladies,

Best wishes for a Happy and HEALTHY New Year.

I am scheduled for my exchange to implants surgery on January 16th. I am looking forward to getting rid of these darn tissue expanders. Best of luck to everyone and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

• Fightingirl
    Fightingirl Member Posts: 328
    Options

Sr2295 & tennischick888, you both must feel great having one more part of the journey down! You are an inspiration!

• ajbclan
    ajbclan Member Posts: 396
    Options

fighting girl- I haven't been on it, but wonder if the lumpectomy lounge might give you some insight and maybe back your decision? You need to do what's best for you!!!

• Fightingirl
    Options

Ajbclan, I've just been there today again talking with some of the ladies! I don't know why I panicked this morning...I'm already back to feeling good about my decision. I guess it's normal to question...I really, really want a crystal ball! :)

• PugsMama
    PugsMama Member Posts: 337
    Options

Hi everybody, today was my last day of work for a while so at least I can close that compartment door for a while. Tomorrow is a busy "last day of boobs" for me. Hair, pedi, pick up post-surgery prescriptions, drop the dogs off at the babysitter's, cut my father-in-law's hair, get his pills together, go to the hospital to get injected with dye for my sentinel node biopsy, Costco for the flannel shirts, laundry, put my little hospital bag together for DH to bring & hopefully be able to sleep a little bit.

I have to be at the hospital Wed. a.m. at 6:30am, surgery scheduled for 8am. My PS & BS are not "marking me up" until just before surgery. I don't plan on bringing my Ipad with me to the hospital so I won't be able to check in until I get home, which hopefully will be Friday. For any football fans out there, I'm looking forward to Wild Card weekend on the TV when I get home.

I will definitely check in tomorrow, but I want to say to everyone, "THANK YOU" for your support. I know we'll be here for each other through all the phases & to everyone having surgery this week, I'll be thinking of each and every one of you. I'm going to visualize all of us holding hands together as they wheel me into the OR. I never realized how much of a comfort it would be to know I'm not alone in all of this. So happy for those getting their exchange surgery this month and it's great that those of you "further along" are posting here. I agree with Fightingirl, you guys are an inspiration to all of us just starting out on this strange trip full of scary unknowns & difficult decisions...

Love you all!
    Liz

• 3bears
    3bears Member Posts: 161
    Options

I feel the same way about talking about it. I do think Vargadoll should tell her family and friends. They will want to support you and their love and support is what is going to get you through. I thought about using Caringbridge but I just think I'm more private than that.

It's funny-- yesterday morning when I woke up I started talking about PugsMama and Leftcoastie to my husband. I said they are up for surgery first-- on January 4th. Like I know you girls and you're my friends. I'm praying deeply for you two right now. For your strength and courage.

• ajbclan
    ajbclan Member Posts: 396
    Options

3bears-I "met" someone on the boards who I now message with daily! I refuse to call her my "cancer friend" as I told her- we will go beyond having cancer together....she's my friend from a different state.

I've met other great women like all of you who continue to support each other and check in. I can't imagine what my mom and other women did before the internet! I'm bummed there are so many of us, but so thankful to have all of you there......wishing everyone the best during this journey!!

• 3bears
    Options

PugsMama- Thank you for sharing this with us. I've been thinking about you and I am with you in spirit, holding your hand. You are gonna do great! I look forward to hearing from you around Friday when you get home. Make sure you let us know how you are doing.

Leftcoastie I hope we hear from you before you go in for surgery. Let us know when you'll be back on here. I'm with you too! You will be just fine!

Thank you for your friendship and the strength of our numbers

• snowsogal
    snowsogal Member Posts: 15
    Options

Hi Left Coastie:

I had a PET SCAN before my bi-lateral mx. Thinking back, I believe it depends on your situation because these are very expensive tests, and ins companies frowns when not necessary.

I discovered it when under my axillary, so that is why they ordered the PT to see if mine had spread. Thankfully it was locally advanced contained in the breast area.

Sometimes we have to trust in the drs expertise, not always easy to do.

• 3bears
    Options

Ajbclan-- that's awesome you have a daily buddy. I wish I could write longer posts but I do it all from my phone. Maybe I should start using a laptop.

I'm glad we've all found each other too. My mom had breast cancer in the 1970s. ( she was 45 when I was born). It must have been so much worse for her and she must have felt so alone.

I've been buying family packs of chicken breasts and cutting them up, marinating them with different flavor packets and frying them. Then I put them in freezer bags. We can thaw them and put them in salad or rice anytime. I have a big family as does my husband but I like to feel self sufficient. At some point we will run out of their meals being dropped off. I have to learn to accept help and be humble. I'm used to taking care of myself and my family by myself. This will be new to me. But it does them good to help.

• PugsMama
    Options

3bears: I feel we all share a bond almost deeper than friendship, like we're in boot camp together and we have each other's back all the way down the line...

• 3bears
    Options

Fightingirl-- I do the same. One minute I'm at peace with my choices. Then a little bit later I think am I choosing the right hospital? The right breast surgeon? The right PS? The right surgery? I'm pretty "happy" with my bmx choice. But I do still question every once in awhile. My choice is based on family history and personal history of biopsies, dense breasts etc. but the choices are all so overwhelming! Know that most women continue to be happy with the choices they've made. We should hold on to that

• BeachBabyK
    BeachBabyK Member Posts: 148
    Options

3bears -I did the same thing to prepare for chemo,packing up meals... I made meatballs and a lot of sauce to go with it, marinaded chicken and a few other items that the boys could just heat up when I wasn't feeling well.

Pugsmama - I'm glad you are taking a day to pamper yourself before your surgery! It always make me feel better!

Fightingirl - If you find that crystal ball, let me know! Go with your gut and be confident with your decision!

DsMom- That is similar to the way it was in the US a while ago. Surgery was often the first step and then the remaining treatments were figured out afterwards. Now they tend to cater the treatment to the type of cancer found. Communication by doctors (both with each other and with their patients) are one of my biggest pet peeves with the entire process. They seem to forget the anxiety that comes along with all of the tests and the process in general.

Sr2295 - Let me know your date once you meet with the BS and I'll add you to the schedule.

Vargadoll - I did tell my entire family about my diagnosis, but I did wait until I had all of the info. I waited to tell the non-immediate family members until I got my port in - it was more real then and closer to when something would actually be happening (chemo in my case).

I really appreciate the way everyone has been here to support each other! I share more with you Ladies than I do with many of my friends, probably because you have a similar experience. Whatever the reason, I appreciate all of you and your willingness to share and support each other through all of this madness.

• SheilaW8
    SheilaW8 Member Posts: 2
    Options

I was officially diagnosed with DCIS on October 6 after finding a lump in my left breast. Two radiologist and my breast cancer surgeon all are suspicious of IDC, though all pathology reports say DCIS.

I'm scheduled for the first phase of surgery (nipple sparring & Lymph node) on January 10 and a left breast mastectomy with reconstruction on January 24. I have had 2 biopsies with 3 areas biopsied. All 3 came back cancerous. I go for pre op tomorrow. The wait for me has been terrible. I am an emotional wreck. I am horrified at the thought of all of this. Prayers to all of you and may God help us all through this!

• PugsMama
    Options

Hi SheiaW8, glad you're here but sorry for the reason. You're not alone & you'll find a lot of support here...

• 3bears
    Options

SheilaW8--We are all in this together. You are not alone. Pull up a chair, take my hand. We are all scared but the fear does subside a bit as you make decisions. I'm feeling better now than a few weeks ago when I was still in a bit of denial. Talk to others who have been through this and are going through this. Read all you can . Knowledge really is power. You will be ok.

• dlh17
    dlh17 Member Posts: 4
    Options

Jan 6 - mastectomy left breast with expander for future reconstruction

• PugsMama
    Options

dlh17: welcome! you're the 10th one scheduled for this week...how are you holding up

• Leftcoastie
    Leftcoastie Member Posts: 77
    Options

Hi ladies. I just love reading everyone's posts. I will now go into surgery knowing I am in a circle of women holding hands and praying for one another. I wish every one comfort and peace. Thank you for being here! We will all get through this together.

Xoxo

• PugsMama
    Options

Leftcoastie: we certainly will get through this together! You & I are blazing the trail this month! Please check in as soon as you get home...Holding hands & praying with you & all my girlfriends having procedures this week...xox

• Fightingirl
    Options

I echo LeftCoastie...I just love reading all your posts. It does feel like my hand is being held and I feel less scared. I do find that I am checking here more often than Facebook. Nothing against Facebook but so much seems trivial to what is on our minds these days and I'm so happy to have you all to share with and be inspired by. Several weeks ago when I joined this thread it seemed like we had a ways to go but here we are in January!! Now we just have one full day before the first of our brave ladies start the Jan 2017 surgeries! Thoughts and prayers going out and will be anxious also to hear rom you post surgery.

• win-chimed
    win-chimed Member Posts: 23
    Options

Awesome to start a group! I will be having a double mastectomy on Jan. 4th. I will keep the group informed.

• Leftcoastie
    Leftcoastie Member Posts: 77
    Options

Sorry that we have to meet here win-chimed but welcome. You'll be with me and PugsMama on the 4th. I look forward to our visits after surgery. I wish you the best. I'll be holding you're hand!

• Dennyj
    Dennyj Member Posts: 84
    Options

Best of luck to everyone. I read this board often because my surgery is 2/2/17. Still making decisions regarding the surgery and immediate reconstruction. Stay strong.

• Elem
    Elem Member Posts: 246
    Options

good luck . I am having a lumpectomy on Jan 4th 2017 . I am stressed out .

Glad there is somplace for support here.

• Elem
    Elem Member Posts: 246
    Options

I was diagnosed with DCIS Dec . 13 . Surgery ( lumpectomy) left on Jan 4 .

I am very scared and nervous. Reading some of the posts makes me feel like I am not so alone. But the unknown still makes me so nervous. Prayers and love to you all

• docmama
    docmama Member Posts: 126
    Options

Good morning everyone! Off to work and to have my preop labs drawn. They wanted me to wait until after the new year to get some distance from my last chemo 2 1/2 weeks ago.

Fightingirl, my surgery this Friday is at 1:30 pm, so late because of the sentinel node biopsy, and because of the holiday. Also, I think you're no longer the only lumpectomy in this group, Elem is having hers on the 4th. Welcome Elem!

• PugsMama
    Options

Wow!, I woke up to find out that there are now four of us having surgery tomorrow! Welcome Win-chimed & Elem! We'll all be going through this together....you're not alone - I'll be holding your hands too!

Leftcoastie...what are you doing today? Are you still in the process of moving your office?

Fightingirl: I feel the same way about Facebook. This is now my favorite place, for sure

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    Options

DsMom, Did-not-see-this-coming, Elem, win-chimed, dlh17, Leftcoastie, SheilaW8 and all the newbies here, we wanted to send you a big warm welcome to Breastcancer.org and let you know that we're so glad you've found this wonderful community. If there's anything you need help with or have any comment for us, please feel free to contact us.

Good luck to those having surgery soon!

Best,

The Mods