Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

January 2017 Surgery Group

Options

Comments

• Leftcoastie
    Leftcoastie Member Posts: 77
    Options

3Bears - lol! I have been checking out my boobs regularly as well. They always seemed big and a nuisance but now I'm wishing I wasn't facing a double mastectomy in 6 days! Eeeek

PugsMama - I too thank God everyday for this support group. You are all in my prayers.

• Momy4ever
    Momy4ever Member Posts: 21
    Options

For the pet scan I think it depends on your stage, for me I had a pet scan once I was diagnosed because i had positive node. So they ordered a pet scan to check for distance mets. It was done after the biopsy result and before I started the neoadjuvent chemo. I think for early stages they don't do pet scan before the surgery.

Me too I will miss my breasts. As much as I want them gone and get rid of cancer "hopefully" I keep looking at them and checking them. Poor DH he was so much in love with them :(

For the nipple sparing, I won't keep them ... the cancer site one will go so her sister will go with her. I don't want to keep it and be sorry later . I have big saggy boobs so no need to risk necrosis.

Has anyone of you decided on the size of her tissue expander to achieve the C size later, mine will be 550 cc, I know that it dépends on each one height, weight, chest measurements. Just curious to know

• 3bears
    3bears Member Posts: 161
    Options

Leftcoastie-- You're gonna be alright! We are all gonna be alright. I hear they will be perkier and we won't need to wear bras all the time anymore. We will look good. We got to have the sensation the first chunk of our lives and we will remember how they felt. That will carry us through. When our loved one touches us we will know what it means and how it's supposed to feel. And we will live many more years without fear of recurrence. We are in this together. Praying for our peace, all of us

• ajbclan
    ajbclan Member Posts: 396
    Options

3bears- I love your post, so uplifting and thank you!!

I'm a size A, so right now I don't feel overly connected to them lol, but I'm sure some emotion will come into play.

Lisbeth- you and i had chemo at the same time, looks like we're on track for surgery around the same time. I had the same- met with surgeon and PS a couple of months ago and just assumed I wanted implants. Didn't discuss anything else. Then I started reading on the boards and got totally confused lol. I did find one article on the main site of the BC boards and it compared all the different types of reconstruction- shows you the pro's and con's. That helped me and I'm back to implants.

So after my last chemo treatment my vein site bruised and discolored. But now the elbow below that has swelled and is super sore and tender. I ended up at the MO's office yesterday- she doesn't think it's related but started me on antibiotics (there is redness too). I'm more whiny about this elbow than my 4 months of chemo lol. Timing's always great with Dr's off for the holidays too. So needed to read 3bears's post.....and all the positive thoughts to get me back on the upswing mentally. Just frustrated as it's limiting what I can do, and I know I'll be super limited in a month!! Thats my vent lol!

• Leftcoastie
    Options

3bears - thank you for that much needed pick me up. I didn't sleep last night. My anxiety is really kicking in. I need to stay positive. Reading this has already helped. I am super busy at work trying to tie up all the loose ends before surgery, this is also helping keep my mind busy!

ajbclan - I am so sorry you are having complications. I wish you well. Hang in there, this too shall pass!

Smile

• Fightingirl
    Fightingirl Member Posts: 328
    Options

Hi lovely ladies! I'm having kind of a day. Actually, yesterday and today have been taxing. I am one week from surgery and trying to prepare everything so that I can relax and recover after removing my "lump" without losing my mind too! I really just hate that I don't have a crystal ball! :) I did get some good news from BS on Tuesday. The 2 dyes they inject for mapping will be done while I'm out. I have read that can be a pit painful so grateful for that news. I did also get some other news...apparently I misunderstood the BS previously. I understood that my lymph nodes would be tested then and there while I was out but since I've decided to go with the lumpectomy, they don't do that. I understand with the mastectomy, they do test right away. Mine will be sent off to pathology with the tumor and won't hear back for 48 hours. Well my surgery is on Friday so that means probably the following Tuesday. I think that has put me in this current funk...I'm tired of waiting and trying to plan for the unknown. It seems silly as I type this because I can clearly hear the advice I would give to someone but for whatever reason, it's not helping to ease my mind. I know you all understand! So looking forward to us all recovering together!

• Leftcoastie
    Options

Fightingirl - this thread has helped me tremendously! I am struggling too. I am overwhelmed with all the things I have to do before next Wednesday. I haven't mentioned this in prior posts, but our office is also in the process of moving into a new building and I am the Office Manager. Our official move date is January 23rd. Of coarse I will be out on medical leave :-(

We truly are the only ones that understand what we are going through. Thanks to all of you for being here! It sucks that we are here, but at least we are not alone. This too shall pass..... and we will all be here to help out the newly diagnosed!

There are blessing that come with cancer!

• Fightingirl
    Options

Wow LeftCoastie! That is so much on your plate. I'm also an office manager and though we are not moving, I'm the only one in my office who handles many things so trying to prepare at home and at work is very overwhelming. I love your part about the blessings of cancer...I have found many in the nearly 2 months since diagnosis. I think if you look, you will definitely find them. It should make this all much easier but we still find ourselves overwhelmed/frustrated/scared etc...I'm planning this weekend as sort of a last hurrah...my boss laughed at me when I said that this morning. I don't mean my last ever, but this is the last one that I can plan for the time being. I don't know if I'll need additional surgery, chemo or anything else in the near future. That does go to show though that we are truly the ones who understand. I'll be thinking of you LeftCoastie & PugsMama on Wednesday and then each lady to go after.

• vargadoll
    vargadoll Member Posts: 1,942
    Options

I am new to this group. I found out I have breast cancer December 23. I met my surgeon on Tuesday and a plan has been set. What a scary place in my life! I'm still me....I still feel like me.....how can I have cancer???

• vargadoll
    Options

I am new to this group. I found out I have breast cancer December 23. I met my surgeon on Tuesday and a plan has been set. What a scary place in my life! I'm still me....I still feel like me.....how can I have cancer???

• Fightingirl
    Options

I'm sorry you find yourself here Vargadoll but we all know exactly how you feel! I'm glad you have a set plan and hoping the best for you. When is your surgery so BeachBabyK can add it? I imagine we'll all still have "those days" when things creep in but we must keep fighting. As many have said above, reading this thread and others will give you so much hope.

• vargadoll
    Options

February 7th. I have several thing I must get in order before surgery so I gave myself a few weeks. I will have a right breast lumpectomy.

• 3bears
    Options

I am glad that I was able to lift you girls up. I don't always feel that positive but when I do I like to spread it around. I'm getting my pre op testing done Monday. The following Monday PS will draw lines on me. Then Jan 10 I have my bmx . I just can't imagine I'm going to like having expanders in there. But I will press on. What choice do I have? Whippetmom has had her implants for 8 years and she is very happy with them. That helps. I hear the implants are much better than the expanders. I didn't know I had to choose an expander size? Must be I'll do that on the 9th when I see my PS

Vargadoll- welcome! None of us want to be here but we are in this together. What a horrible date to be diagnosed! Right before Christmas. You chose your surgery very quickly.

Leftcoastie and PugsMama--- praying for your peace and courage and confidence. March straight into battle with your heads up! I feel like we are all holding hands and marching into a dark scary place together. There is strength in numbers!

• ajbclan
    Options

so it's 4am California time. Went to the ER at 8pm. I had swelling in my arm and redness and it hurt. Started aching two nights ago. Swelling yesterday so MO got me in. She didn't think related to last infusion and put me on an antibiotic. Got worse tonight so thought I better come in. I have a blood clot in my arm- deep vein thrombosis..... now I've been admitted and will be here for a few days to monitor me since it's close to my heart. I guess this is a trial run for my bmx. Just hope it doesn't affect my surgery. Happy new year. Ha

• PugsMama
    PugsMama Member Posts: 337
    Options

I didn't have an opportunity to check in yesterday & I found myself missing all of you!

ajbclan: I'm so sorry for what you're going through...I see your surgery is a month away. Hopefully your DVT issue is gone by then. Happy New Year! ha, is right! It's starting to sink in for what a long journey this is going to be for all of us. Full of ups & downs along the way. 3bears is right....there is strength in numbers and we're all here to get each other through it!

Vargadoll. Sorry you find yourself here. Fightingirl is right, you'll find a lot of support here and you'll know that everyone knows exactly how you feel. This experience is such a roller coaster of emotions but we've all had all of them! Believe it or not, you won't feel fear 24/7 but right now I know it might be hard for you to believe.

3bears: I met with my PS yesterday and he said I don't have to worry about size of the implants or what type for a while. I guess at some point I have to decide how big I want to be so he stops expanding them, but it's nothing I have to worry about right now. He said the size of the expanders, width-wise, has to do with the size of my chest wall, right now it's about fitting them to my body, not anything to do with eventual cup size. So I just put it out of my mind for now....I have a feeling your PS will tell you the same thing.

I have so much to do before Wednesday my head is exploding! I have to work Sunday & Monday. I'm not working on Tuesday (surgery is Wed.) My hairdresser is fitting me in on Tuesday morning (God bless her!), will try to get a pedi afterwards (my feet are a mess!) & then back to the hospital's nuclear medicine dept. so they can inject me with the dye for the sentinel node biopsy. Oh joy! I do all the administrative crap in our household also, my 92 year old father-in-law lives with us. I have to make sure his "pills" are done for a couple of weeks etc. etc. etc. Of course this won't happen, but I feel like I have to prepare everything at home for if I die in the OR. Crazy, I know....why am I putting this extra pressure on myself? Having surgery will actually give me a well-deserved rest! Ha Ha!

• docmama
    docmama Member Posts: 126
    Options

Pugsmama, good luck with all your prep for surgery on Wednesday. Mine is Friday, and I know how you feel...I have to work Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, and a sort of panic is starting to set in. I'm leaving early on Tuesday for a last minute consultation with my PS and I still have a million questions!

My treatment was Neo-adjuvant, so I just got my last chemo (TCHP) 2 weeks ago. Still feeling kinda crappy from that, but was able to go to Costco this morning with hubby to prep for the week's meals for the kids (my 3 are all home for the holidays from college). While we were there I happened across some snap-front light flannel shirts which will be perfect for after the mastectomy for only $6.97. Three colors - gray, red and blue plaid. Also found some really soft draw-string lounge pants too.

ajbclan - I'm so sorry you're going through this! I hope you recover quickly and are able to stay on target for your surgery later this month.

I hope everyone here has a Happy New Year, and that next year will bring peace and healing to us all!

Angie

• Leftcoastie
    Options

Happy New Year ladies! I am going to try and celebrate tonight. I hope you all can too 😊

Ajbclan - you are in my thoughts and prayers. Hang in there.

Cheers!!

• PugsMama
    Options

Docmama! Stopping at Costco on my way home on Tues for flannel shirts & lounge pants!! I was planning to wear my husband's flannel shirts but the ones you got at Costco sound great with the snaps!

There are nine of us having surgery next week & I'll be thinking of all of you & I'll be with you in spirit.

Happy New Year everyone! Praying for a healthy 2017 for all of us!

Liz

• PugsMama
    Options

Leftcoastie, ThumbsUp Enjoy!!

• docmama
    docmama Member Posts: 126
    Options

Hi everyone, one more quick note in preparation for surgery. I just ordered a pillow from a woman whose website I happened across while googling what to bring to the hospital for mastectomy, specifically mastectomy blouses (which I don't need anymore because of my Costco score this morning!). She is a breast cancer survivor herself and has started this business to help others going through surgery.

She has quite a few things on her site, but the chest pillow caught my eye. I hope it's ok to link her website here:

https://www.pinkpepperco.com

She is the sweetest woman; I ordered the pillow last night and she made sure to send it via Priority Mail for me this morning so that I will have it by Friday for my BMX.

Angie

• ajbclan
    Options

I just got good news for once lol!! Not a deep vein- superficial. So no blood thinners needed. I do have cellulitis so thankfully I've been on iv of antibiotics and will continue st home. Just need to wake up in middle of night but who cares.

So thankful as looking at deep vein thrombosis- I had a feeling it would have affected surgery. Good lesson and what I saw from my chemo sisters is listen to your gut. Also make sure you have a copy meds you're on in case you have to run out the door.

Onward and upward and moving forward again!!

• PugsMama
    Options

ajbclan! So happy to hear your good news!

• 3bears
    Options

There ARE 9 of us having surgery next week, you're right PugsMama. I just checked the schedule to see who all is going. I knew you and leftcoastie are up first. Then holy crap! I'm the next week. I don't want to be on this list! But here we are. It's time to trust that we all made the right choices and decisions that are best for each of us. Some of THE very hardest choices I have ever made. Happy New Year everyone! I'm going out and try to have fun tonight too. With only 1 drink-- that is my new limit.

• PugsMama
    Options

I'm treating myself to Prosecco tonight, my favorite form of bubbly! starting tomorrow, back on all the roads to health!

3bears: have fun & enjoy! Ihave to work tomorrow & Monday so it's in my best interest to get a good night's sleep...but in all honesty, my adrenaline is in overdrive so it probably doesn't matter anyway! Lol

• PugsMama
    Options

I'm treating myself to Prosecco tonight, my favorite form of bubbly! starting tomorrow, back on all the roads to health!

3bears: have fun & enjoy! Ihave to work tomorrow & Monday so it's in my best interest to get a good night's sleep...but in all honesty, my adrenaline is in overdrive so it probably doesn't matter anyway! Lol

• BeachBabyK
    BeachBabyK Member Posts: 148
    Options

Happy New Years Ladies! I hope that you are all able to celebrate and have a wonderful night! Best of luck ot each of you that is preparing for surgery next week! Make sure that you check in when you can and let us all know how you are doing.

• PugsMama
    Options

Will do! We're all in this together!

• Fightingirl
    Options

we are all together! Can't stop thinking about all of you that I don't even know but the connection is so strong despite that! I too am treating this as my last hurrah weekend since the road ahead is unclear. Wishing you all a happy new year...may 2017 bless us all! I'm sure we'll all be here for support for us 9 heading to the operating rooms next week and then back to help the other brave ladies that will folow. True warriors will kick off 2017

• DsMom
    DsMom Member Posts: 46
    Options

Here I sit on NY's eve, Hubby is out of town and I'm surfing breast cancer sites...not exactly how I envisioned 2016 would end. My surgery is supposed to be 12 Jan but I have no idea if it will be delayed - I'm hoping not. I had a biopsy which confirmed the diagnosis in November but then another very small spot was seen on the MRI so the surgeon wanted another biopsy which was supposed to be yesterday. Well here I was getting ready for the appt when I get a call that I MISSED the appt the day before...no I didn't! I wasn't even in the country the day before...I would not have agreed to that date! All of my notes said the 30th and that is specifically what I recall. It doesn't matter now...too late and no availability before the surgery date. I still don't even know what we're doing...the surgeon left it to me whether lumpectomy or mastectomy and I haven't made up my mind 100%. I feel like this has all been moving very fast and I don't feel ready or informed enough for all of these decisions, yet I don't want to delay...I want this done and gone. I feel I'm leaning towards mastectomy because I'm a worrier and I know if I don't I will always be stressed and wondering is there is going to be a reoccurence; I do NOT want to do this twice! Is anyone else waiting for reconstruction? I'm wondering if I will regret that. Dr said it was again my decision, but there is no PS lined up so that will definitely result in a delay. :(

• vargadoll
    Options

Happy New Year to you all! I can't decide how to tell everyone I have breast cancer. Especially my parents who have lost 2 children already. I'm going to be fine but do not want to worry anyone.