Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

January 2017 Surgery Group

Options

Comments

• DsMom
    DsMom Member Posts: 46
    Options

Maya15 - Yes...this was brought up to me as well and I have read several studies to support. And even if it proves to not be a significant reduction in chances, I'll take any reduction. When I get a chance to meet with the oncologist post surgery I'll be discussing the other breast. I seriously don't care about the boobs and neither does my husband. If they will take it I may very well do it later.

• Fightingirl
    Fightingirl Member Posts: 328
    Options

awe Liz!! gonna miss you but wishing you the best and so glad you and your boobs had a nice day! I too enjoyed some wine this evening and will have one in your honor tomorrow too if that's ok.

Elam, my BS said I could take the lorazepam the night before and morning of...I was a bit scared thinking with anesthesia that might be dicey but then I thought, she would never tell me that if it weren't okay and sometimes we gotta tame that anxiety. I want to feel as relaxed as possible with nothing but good positive thoughts so I just may do it. Don't let your mind run away too much...I know it's not easy but I just look at all the braved women who've gone before all of us and they are doing wonderful. We will too. We are strong.

Alli, I'm sorry you are having to go through this again. Welcome to our January group... our surgeries are same day... you'll be in my thoughts.

Rose bowl, welcome! As always, it sucks you are here but I hope you find some comfort with all of us January gals!

I gotta say I'm just blown away at how many of us are having surgery just this month and you have to wonder all over the world how many more there are? One is too many and seeing this thread grow just makes me almost mad. I know things have come so far and we are all fortunate to be dealing with it now vs years back but surely makes me wish a cure is found soon.

Best wishes to the Jan 4th ladies and cant wait to hear you are recovering nicely.

• annoyingboob
    annoyingboob Member Posts: 459
    Options

elem - i am like you - always anxious!! i met my psych today who said take the lorazepam, no hesitation. he told me to start taking it a few days beforehand even, and take a little each day, including am of surgery. so TAKE IT!! i think everyone wants you to be calm, your mds included!! anyway, i am virtually holding your hand bc i totally get your anxiety. focus on the new beautiful healthy you at the end of this. visualize your life when it settles down and you can be active again - what will you do? where will you go? what will you eat/drink? what will bring the biggest smile to your gorgeous face? focus on the positive things, not on the anxiety. for me, i like to visualize the calm blue waters of french polynesia with those serene over water bungalows - smell the flowers, float in the water, absorb the serenity. after a few minutes of really putting myself on a deserted island, im a lot calmer. try it!!! good luck!!!

• Elem
    Elem Member Posts: 246
    Options

Thankyou Liz , Maya15 , and everyone for the advice re: lorazapam . I took one this evening . I need to calm down and be strong and positive for tomorrow. I am very grateful for the support on this thread . It means the world to me. I love you all and wish everyone the best . I think I will meditate and think about that Island that was mentioned . Thank you all for being here.

Hugs all around 😍💪🏻

• Elem
    Options

Thanks Annoyingboob, I will do it . Going to visualize that happy spot as well . Thanks again .Best wishes to everyone going in to morrow . Prayers , love and support to you all .

El em

• brca2chick
    brca2chick Member Posts: 12
    Options

1/31 double mastectomy with DIEP reconstruction

Good luck everyone!!!

• Leftcoastie
    Leftcoastie Member Posts: 77
    Options

Hi ladies! I am praying for all of us heading to surgery in the morning. I had a very busy day moving my office and preparing for tomorrow. I am showered and took some Tylenol pm ( hospital said it's ok), like the rest of you, I have major anxiety.

For those of you second guessing your decision on type of surgery I completely feel your angst. I am still not sure I am making the right choice! Never imagined how difficult the decisions would be.

I wish all of you with surgeries this week peace and positivite results. I will be praying and holding your hand.

Remember this is just a hurdle in our journey and this too shall pass!

Xoxoxo

• Momy4ever
    Momy4ever Member Posts: 21
    Options

thinking and praying for you ladies ... good luck & I wish you an easy day and good recovery.

I'm very anxious too, I try to keep calm and busy with my 3 kids ( 6, 4 and 2 years old). I'm looking forward to the surgery thinking it's another step into this hard journey but the anxiety is kicking so hard.

• RoseBowl16
    RoseBowl16 Member Posts: 6
    Options

would love to be added to the list. January 11 double mastectomy with expanders... Lots of anxiety and fear. Trying to not let my mind wander to the worst case scenarios and focus on my amazing team of doctors and friends who support me

• 3bears
    3bears Member Posts: 161
    Options

Fightingirl-- I say go with your gut and your first instinct for what is right for you. I think we all question ourselves at some point no matter what we chose. It's completely natural to have cold feet. I'm getting bmx on the 10 th and I sometimes question if I should have just gotten lumpectomy. But I know why I made my decision and I am at peace with it most of the time.

Maya15 -- thank you for the advice on tisssue expanders. It will help to know what to expect. I'm glad you had a good looking end result. That helps calm my fears.

It's all happening so quick now for all of us. I'm busy nesting and cleaning shower curtains and cooking up chicken and pork chops. You'd think I was going away for 3 months. We just have to make sure our families are taken care of right? Plus we want a nice tidy clean home to recuperate in. Get your Netflix " to watch" lists in order! and some good books by your side. We will finally be able to relax and stop researching and making huge decisions. At least until they ask me if I want to do chemo...........

Praying for peace for ALL you girls going this week.

• Elem
    Options

Hi ,

Showered and ready to go . Nervous ..? yes! But I must plow forward. When I arrive , I have to get something called a hook wire first. Then surgery . Wishing all that are going today the best of luck and a speedy recovery ❤

• Fightingirl
    Options

Elem, you will do great!! I like the idea of the bungalow over beautiful blue water for a visualization and may use that as well!! Good call annoyingboob! I'll wave to you all in your bungalows from mine! Let us know how you are doing as soon as you are able Elam. You are the first lumpectomy and then BeachBabyK and I follow.

The first thing I did while having coffee with my husband this morning is talk about all you ladies having surgery today and ask him to also think good thoughts for you.

I almost brought my lorazepam to work today and I'm really disappointed I didn't. I have been getting more anxious and I think it would have been good to have today. Do you know how crazy I am? I also have a dental cleaning tomorrow am...the day before surgery! Now I know a cleaning is not that big of a deal but I do still get anxious with anyone poking around in my mouth so I am dreading that while I'm already a ball of nerves.

Today and tomorrow will be busy. I've got a mental checklist of so many things I want to get done. Like 3bears mentioned prior, you'd think I was going away for a long time! It just keeps me busy and I know how I am...if I feel like I have everything in order, I'll be able to relax and recover better. And 3bears, I had to add the shower curtain to my list. I know mine needs a clean!

Best wishes for the surgeries today and wishing a good day to all! XXOO

• ajbclan
    ajbclan Member Posts: 396
    Options

Thinking of those in surgery today and those of you going into surgery tomorrow! I've been reading the posts, and I'm so impressed with this group of ladies!! I'm overwhelmed by the amount of us here, but what a great group to be with!

I've been wrapped up in my own frustration with my swollen arm- I have a blood clot and cellulitis (infection) that is causing a lot of pain and discomfort. My "plan" was to use this time after chemo to get myself, etc ready for surgery so this is setting me back and isn't going away fast enough! I love all the nesting folks are doing and look forward to doing some of that myself at some point.

Wishing you all a great day and look forward to hearing from leftcoastie, pugsmoma, elem and win-chimed on the other side of surgery! Momy4ever, maya15, and annoyingboob- thoughts are with you for tomorrow!!!

Welcome Rosebowl16 (can I assume you live in the LA/Pasadena area????? My cousin just volunteered at the parade again- she loves it- 9 year BC survivor!!). And the others that now are buried in the pages of this board- this is a great support group!

• DsMom
    Options

I pulled the trigger, made a decision and notified the surgeon - mastectomy - 12 Jan. Had a great workout this AM...helps keep me sane!

• vicwytch
    vicwytch Member Posts: 18
    Options

Hi there, just got my date today. Getting mastectomy on left breast with tissue expanders on Jan 30th. When I get implant in the left, I'll get an augmentation/lift/implant for the right side.

• Fightingirl
    Options

DsMom, I'm so glad you made your decision!! Must be a huge relief. That and a good work out must feel amazing!

Welcome to the new January ladies...this is a wonderful place to be in a sucky situation.

I just got my pre-op call and pre-registration call a couple hours ago. This is so real now and I did shed a few tears after those calls. I'm a bit scared of surgery but mostly I'm anxious for the next pieces of this cancer puzzle to come together. I'm scared of all the things I don't even know yet! My BS told me to take my blood pressure medicine in the AM of surgery and the pre-op nurse told me not too. I called BS and verified I actually should not take it because it is a diuretic and causes low potassium. Just a little tid bit in case anyone else is taking a diuretic!

I also was not as lucky as PugsMama who was told she could have a glass of wine the night before. They told me no! Meanies. :)

Ajbclan, I'm sorry you are having to deal with that on top of everything else. Don't worry about nesting...most important is taking care of yourself and healing. All the other stuff will be there and you get to it when you get to it.

I would imagine by this time of the day some of our January ladies have had or are in their surgeries as I type this so once again...sending love and light and wishing them a speedy recovery.

• DsMom
    Options

Vicwytch - Try and look on the bright side I guess...a "new" perkier boob for the right side?? I'm hoping for the same when I get reconstruction.

Fightingirl - yes...there is a feeling of relief. I think I knew the answer for a while now, just had trouble committing to it. I see you're on Friday...will be thinking about you. I'm grateful mine is on a Thursday so my son can go to pre-school on Friday and leave the day for just me and Hubby.

While I know everyone's experience will be different, for anyone who has had a Mx already - how quickly were you up and around? My surgery is Thursday, and we have tickets for a hockey game for Saturday night (bought before all of this crap started). Any chance I might feel well enough to go?

• Goincrzy8
    Goincrzy8 Member Posts: 79
    Options

I had MX Unilateral on A Friday Dec 9th. On Sunday nite there is no way I could have gone to a hockey game. With a drain, and not being able to shower, I wanted to be home in my jammies. This is TMI but going to the bathroom the first few days was hard you dont realize how much you use your arms.

I was fine after surgery, no pain, people were surprised how good I looked and I was able to walk around. I wanted to get moving and not vegitate.

• DsMom
    Options

My surgeon doesn't use drains...we'll see how that goes!

• Elem
    Options

well Ladies ThNks for all the prayers and advice. It seriously got me through with ease. The surgery went well and took about an or so . I checked in early as they had to insert a hook wire prior to lumpectomy.

When I woke up ,I felt nauseated and groggy . Like I was narced out .But with oral fluids and crackers in an hr ..i am home and doing a load of laundry. Being very careful with my left arm. Not using it. The pain is minimal and only using an ice bag. The laundry load is very small by the way too . I will not do too much because , I want to heal properly . But so far ,it feels just like the stereotactic biopsy . Slight soreness only . But the anesthesia is a little different story. But after a couple of hrs . Much much better. Just wanted to let you all know .. we've got this for sure!❤and light to all of

Elem aka L

• Fightingirl
    Options

Elem, I'm so glad it went well and you give me tons of hope for mine Friday! I'm not doing any laundry...I'm gonna milk it a little with the hubby!! 😀 I really am so happy you're doing well. Take good care and no more laundry!

I'm now the proud owner of hibiclens, a $13 soap they want me to use morning of surgery. I guess it's a good investment but I'm a little salty spending that for one use!

• Maya15
    Maya15 Member Posts: 112
    Options

DsMom, there's no way I could have done a hockey game 2 days after MX. I needed 2 nights in the hospital and was in a lot of pain for 5 days. It might depend whether you're getting tissue expanders or not, with no reconstruction recovery is easier. However if you call them up and tell them you're having surgery for cancer it's likely they would exchange the tickets free of charge.

Have to be at the hospital at 6am tomorrow for surgery, so just doing last minute things tonight.

• Did-not-see-this-coming
    Options

BeachbabyK - can you change my lumpectomy to mastectomy? Thanks!

• Did-not-see-this-coming
    Options

Elem -

So good to hear that surgery went well!! Thanks for the update :)

• Elem
    Options

You Go Girl .. Hibiclens is good , I bought cetaphil single bar for 4$ at Wal-Mart . But Hibiclens is what a lot of the surgeons use pre op themselves to wash their hands.

I think you are going to do well. It did not take long .The wire hook procedure was about 20 minutes with just lidocaine and the needle very fine guage unlike the stereotactic biopsy .

Waking up for me ,had me feeling groggy and dizzy. Thebpain is minimal . All I am using is an ice pack .The Dr. would have prescribed a pain pill , but narcotics make me really dizzy. I have a hypersensitivity to all narcotics , even a tylenol 3?

Good Luck , Prayers and hugs going out to everyone . Much Love My Ladies

LM...elem

• annoyingboob
    annoyingboob Member Posts: 459
    Options

congrats elem!!!!

I'm trying to focus on my island bungalow, and yes, all you girls are invited to join me - just keep it down - this island is supposed to be deserted, lol! I picture the long wooden jetty with over water bungalows on each side. The water is light blue and gets darker if a cloud passes overhead. You can sit on the jetty and dangle your feet in the water and all you can see to the horizon is still calm water. Or jump in and float lazily and stare up at the sky. There are tropical fish in a zillion colors below you. No need for a snorkel

Good luck with everyone joining me in surgery tomorrow! I'll meet you at the virtual bar later for a fruity drink with an umbrella and pineapple wedge!

Xx

• jinmo
    jinmo Member Posts: 55
    Options

Hi all, I gave myself a little vacation from BC thoughts but now I am back. Breast surgeon appt first thing tomorrow morning, the 5th. I have been back and forth thinking about uni vs bilateral, will talk to him about it. Oops, that kind of negates the idea that I gave myself a vacation from BC thoughts, doesn't it? I tried, anyway.

I'm still pretty set against lumpectomy in my own situation, I don't want to do this twice and with family history not on my side, I figure I'm likely to have to do at least one MX in the end anyway. Also, I am small and any lumpectomy is going to be a substantial percentage of what I have. It also makes me kind of giggle thinking about some discussions I have read about distance from chest wall for any cancer...in my personal boobage situation the inevitable answer to that is: not very darned far away! Everybody's situation is different, got to do what feels correct for me.

Thinking of all you women whose surgery is coming up tomorrow and Friday:

Momy4ever, Maya15, annoyingboob, Docmama, Fightingirl, Alli, Marimucho, dlh17, BeachbabyK. May your surgery be effective, your recovery swift, and your recovery room nurse amazingly attractive per your personal attraction specifications. (Hey, we can all hope for perfection, right?)

• Alli
    Alli Member Posts: 34
    Options

Elem-glad you to hear you are doing well. please go easy on the laundry!

Sending positive and healing thoughts to tomorrow's group-Mom4ever, annoyingbood, and Maya15.

Fightingirl, got my Hibiclens today too. That's some expensive soap! They use to give it during part of your pre op session, but no more.

Jinmo-good luck with your appt tomorrow and gather all the info you can to make a good decision then go with your gut and try not to look back! You will feel much better at that point.

• Elem
    Options

I am so grateful for this great group of women . The support has been immeasurable in justcthe few days since joining. I honestly believe I had all of you angels by my side the entire day. Plus an amazing medical team . My husband was also by my side .

Sending out positive love and healing vibes to tomorrows group as well . You will all do well.💗💪🏻

• vargadoll
    vargadoll Member Posts: 1,942
    Options

What am amazing group of ladies! I am having a hard time keeping up with all the abbreviations and surgery talk. I hope to have it all figured out soon. You all are in my thoughts and I am sending good vibes out there for you all. It hurts to see young mothers in this group. I have 5 (almost 6) grandchildren and I am falling apart on the inside because I will be focusing else where very soon.

To all you beautiful ladies having surgery today....STAY STRONG!

I have an older android tablet and it sucks! It is so slow and sometimes it takes 3 times to get a reply to actually post. It never bothered me before but it does now...I want to rush out and get a new tablet to keep up with every!