Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

January 2017 Surgery Group

Options

Comments

• laastra
    laastra Member Posts: 34
    Options

Just want to say I'm thinking of everybody who's going for their surgeries this week and reading the updates on this group has made me feel less alone for sure :) What a great group I'm glad we could come together here, a bunch of people from all over the place going through this similar life journey at the same time. We're all doing the best we can with what we know and it's hard to process all the emotions at the same time as all of the data and information we have to sift through to make a decision. Taking in all the options and percentages and probabilities has made me go dizzy and cross-eyed.

SheilaW8 - we are having the same kind of mastectomy, I decided on unilateral and it's on the left side too. Are you doing implant reconstruction? I have been a wreck too, the couple months from the diagnosis to surgery is prettty difficult. Trying to just go a day at a time, but it's hard with this looming over. I have one tumor that was confirmed with biopsy, and 2 others smaller ones that appeared cancerous on the MRI, but I am not finding out for sure on those until after the surgery.

• Elem
    Elem Member Posts: 246
    Options

Thank You for the warm welcome . Still navigation the site .Do you receive notifications by email or just come here to your favorite threads ? I am getting nervous about tomorrow, but reading the other posts is incredibly comforting. I know we are not alone.

• Elem
    Options

Thank You for holding my hand . I am glad to have found this site.love and light to all having their surgeries tomorrow .thank you all for being my friends

• Fightingirl
    Fightingirl Member Posts: 328
    Options

Welcome Win-Chimed, Dennyj & Elem (my fellow lumpectomy lady!) As everyone has said, we're all sorry you are here but keep coming back reading and sharing as you like....I think you'll find as I did, not matter how great of support you have these are the people who truly understand and you'll find yourself thinking of them often. We are scattered all over yet bonded deeply through our fears and frustrations but also through seeing one another get through each hurdle of this stupid thing called cancer.

DocMama, I guess I'll be going before you and will say my prayers for you early since I will have anesthesia brain by the time you begin! I check in at 9:15 and surgery at 11:15.

PugsMama & LeftCoastie, for sure thinking of you both as you start us off and I too am holding your hand.

• Elem
    Options

I will have a left lumpectomy tomorrow morning . Dx . DCIS intermediate grade . This is all I know at this time . But for me it is scary enough! Stressful too . I check in at 9am and surgery 10.15

I am in St. George , UT

• Fightingirl
    Options

• Fightingirl
    Options

You're all beautiful.

xoxo

• Fightingirl
    Options

Elam, will be sending prayers out for you as well tomorrow. St George is beautiful. We aren't too far from eachother...I'm in Peoria, AZ. It's all scary stuff and so many unknowns for us all. Be strong my friend. You got this! We all got this!

• dlh17
    dlh17 Member Posts: 4
    Options

Hello. I just joined the group last night. I'm having L mastectomy on Friday, Jan 6, with expander for future reconstruction. At 57 years old and newly married to my dream man, I am most concerned about survival and quality of life. There is comfort in knowing I am not alone. I'm trying to get organized and prep for Friday. There is so much to do and have read some helpful information here. Best wishes to all.

• Maya15
    Maya15 Member Posts: 112
    Options

Good luck to the 4 of you having surgery tomorrow!

Sheila, I know how you feel. It is horrifying, and the wait is the worst part. You will feel better once the cancer is out, you get the pathology report and you know exactly what you're dealing with.

Fightingirl, I don't think you need to second-guess your choice. Losing the whole breast is a really big deal, and as you know there is no significant difference in recurrence. If you do a lumpectomy, you can always opt for mastectomy later if you change your mind, or you don't get clean margins, etc. But once a breast is gone there's no going back. It never crossed my mind to go for mastectomy until I was told the cancer was very extensive and that was my only choice.

• BeachBabyK
    BeachBabyK Member Posts: 148
    Options

Ok Ladies, I think everyone that has posted is on the schedule. For for 4 ladies heading to surgery tomorrow, we'll be thinking of you and hoping for great outcomes! Take care of yourself and try to get some sleep tonight! Update us when you are able.

• lovesgreenthings
    lovesgreenthings Member Posts: 99
    Options

May I join the January Group for surgery please? Lumpectomy on 1/16. Wishing everyone here an easy time of it and looking forward to exchanging tips and ideas for recovery.

Anne

• Elem
    Options

Thank You everyone . And yes , we have got this . I appreciate the prayers and support 🌈❤

• Elem
    Options

hello Anne,

Glad you are here.much love and luck on the 16th . Prayers and support always ❤🌈

• tennischick888
    tennischick888 Member Posts: 5
    Options

Sending lots of positive thoughts and prayers for those having surgery this week. You got this ladies!

• Zsupullar
    Zsupullar Member Posts: 1
    Options

8 th of February right side mastectomy with silicon recontraction. In June I had a left side done, but now the right one needs to go too. 

Good luck for everyone who is going to have surgery, and please do not forget we are stronger then a cancer!

• Alli
    Alli Member Posts: 34
    Options

Hi Jan surgery Ladies,

Reality has finally set in. Just received the phone call regarding my surgery this Friday. Looks like I'm the first case of the day so that means I will have to leave the evening before since it is a 3 hr drive. I was really hoping to spend the night before surgery at home with my furry kids since they bring me so much comfort. My son will move back in for couple of nights to care for the pups.

I do dread the surgery and recovery so much but realize that this is my only sensible option. At the time of my first diagnosis 10 years ago, I chose lumpectomy and radiation. I have no regrets about that decision. At that time I had no family history but since then, both my Mom and sister were diagnosed. I knew that if I ever had a recurrence, that I would have a BMX. I am very comfortable with that decision but I will miss my breasts. I am glad that I was able to have them for those 10 years between cancers. It's not like they get much attention, but I have always enjoyed having them for those brief moments when they were getting attention. It's hard to get the hubby to say much about it, but I feel like he will miss them too.

I have been off work this week and nesting big time. Wish my house were this clean without having to deal with cancer. Made the Walmart run today. Getting the hair touched up tomorrow and had my pedicure and wax last Friday. Nerves are kicking in. Hope it's ok to have a glass of wine (or two) this close to surgery.

Apparently my friends from work are setting up a "meal train" for me. It's a phone app-go figure. I thought that was a neat gesture.

For those of you starting our group out tomorrow, I wish you peace and comfort. Please keep us posted on your recovery.

I will be glad when we are all on the other side of this journey!

• grandma3X
    grandma3X Member Posts: 297
    Options

Hi everyone! I had a left mastectomy in January last year and then a prophylactic right MX in May. I just had my exchange surgery and ((hopefully)) I'm finished with any surgeries that require drains!! I have four mastectomy camisoles with pockets for the drains that I would like to pass on. They are a size L, but I'm small and found them comfortable to wear so I think they would work for any size. PM me and I'll send them to you - no charge of course!

I also wanted to give some encouragement. I was extremely nervous going in to my first surgery last January and found that it was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Truthfully, the anxiety was worse than the surgery and recovery. I hope that you all have the same experience. Be sure to ask for a scopaline patch to help prevent nausea and if they can use propofol to put you to sleep, you will wake up feeling wonderfully rested (search propofol on this website and you'll find a whole thread about it!). I also had them do a paravertebral block to help block pain during and after surgery so that the need for pain meds was much reduced. This comes with some additional risks, so talk it over with your surgeon if you are interested.

Best wishes! You are stronger than you know :)

• Goincrzy8
    Goincrzy8 Member Posts: 79
    Options

Hey ladies I was in Dec 2016 surgery. I found the waiting to be the worst part for me. The surgery and anesthesia scared me as I had not been in hospital since birth of kids. You have this and know that the ladies you are here with will help you as you help the ones toward the end of the month.

Happy and positive thoughts to all you for a speedy recovery and good pathology.

• DsMom
    DsMom Member Posts: 46
    Options

Hello ladies. Thinking all of you this week having surgery - that will be me in a week....I can't believe it. This is crazy - my surgery is only 1.5 weeks away and I still haven't confirmed lumpectomy of mastectomy. I'm fairly certain it will be mastectomy but I just haven't put it in stone yet. The research is so bloody confusing...for every "study" or opinion there is another saying something different. Someone above posted about recurrence rates being the same...I have not found that anywhere so if someone has a credible link/study for me to read I would appreciate that. I have read several studies or info from credible websites that say survival rates are similar, but that's not the same as recurrence rates. I don't ever want to go through this again and although there is no guarantee I won't, I feel I need to do everything possible to ensure I won't. My surgeon was so non-chalant...he told me (regarding lumpectomy) "and if it comes back, there's no reason we can't cure it again...it happens." He was so casual about it...like it's no big deal. Well let me tell you...it IS a big deal! I read 2 interesting studies/articles (very recent) which looked at younger/pre-menopausal women specifically which were helpful. I'm so tired of going round and round about this...I need to just pick a path!!

• vargadoll
    vargadoll Member Posts: 1,942
    Options

Wow! Our details are very similar. I am older (51) and had several mammograms, 3D mammogram then 2 ultra sounds. The day of my biopsies my husband forgot and didn't remind him because I truly didn't think it would be cancer. I had to get our daughter ( who is 6 months pregnant and has a 19 months old) to drive me. He did drive me to the surgeon appointment. No need or reminders there! I wish I had found this group before my appointment. I still am confused about all the letters, abbreviations and numbers! What I do know is my cancer is grade1 (slow growing) and smaller than an earser on the end of a pencil. I might not need radiation. That will be determined after the lymph nodes biopsies come back. I was excited to read that down time is only about a week. I am a busy housewife with 5 soon to be 6 grandchildren. My husband and I are very active as well. I love the feel of my girls and my husband dislikes implants so I doubt I would have rushed into another surgery. I don't have alot of time to get on here there's always kids at my house! I a neat freak and have this crazy idea that if my house is in order so is my life!

Prayers for quick healing and peaceful

• DsMom
    DsMom Member Posts: 46
    Options

Thanks DennyJ...good article.

• annoyingboob
    annoyingboob Member Posts: 459
    Options

just wanted to add my best wishes to all those joining me in surgery this month!! Although im just having a bilateral lx with a reduction/lift now (thurs), i think i will have a bmx soon after, so i am cheering all of you ladies on and look forward to your advice when i go through what you are going though!!

its the waiting thats the hardest, and i hate how you can only plan your life a little at a time while you wait for the puzzle pieces to fall into place. My anxiety is pretty high, but its nice knowing we are all in it together. i used to see all the pink ladies on their walks for breast cancer and thought it was a bit cultish - until i got cancer too!! now i am so appreciative of the support and community and the warrior mindset!! maybe ill wear all pink to the hospital!

love to all my fellow warriors...you got this!!

• Fightingirl
    Options

DsMom, I was told they are near the same. I just googled "recurrence rates lumpectomy vs mastectomy and all kinds of stuff popped up. As you know, each has pros and cons and I pray you find the best for you soon. I know how nerve wracking it is!

Annoyingboob, yes, yes, and yes...waiting is the worst. I'm trying my best to one step at a time it but goodness it's really testing me!!

Vargadoll, so with you on the house in order means it's all in order. I've been planning how, when, & what I want to get done around my house more than anything else. Silly but it's what I do with my nerves...I clean like crazy! It's at least one thing I have control of at the moment. 😊

Grandma3x and goincrazy8, thanks for your inspiration and well wishes.

Much love ladies

• RoseBowl16
    RoseBowl16 Member Posts: 6
    Options

January 11 bilateral mastectomy with tissue expanders

• Elem
    Options

Thanks again Fightingirl and all of the beautiful women on this site. I am getting super anxious . My anxiety really can mess with my thinking .. I get so freaked out! I wonder if I can take a .05 lorazapam this close before surgery . I asked the. Registration nurse when they called and she said if I take one in the morning it had to be with just a sip of water . Since it is nothing by mouth after midnight. I am even to scared to take one ! But I am getting kind of nervous. Hope you all don't think I am crazy! Good luck to the others going in tomorrow

• PugsMama
    PugsMama Member Posts: 337
    Options

Hi everyone! My last day with my own boobs whoo hoo! What a busy one it was. Lesson for those to follow, do not assume your M.D.'s office will fax the medical clearance without you reminding them.That's all I'm going to say about that! It all worked out in the end.

The gal who does my hair gave me one of those plastic capes they snap around your neck when they color your hair ...said it would be helpful in the shower with the drains. I thought that was really sweet. Treated myself to a "spa pedi" today. Forced me to drag out the weed whacker to shave my legs before I got there!

This is funny, I went for the nuclear dye today because my sentinel node biopsy is so early tomorrow morning and the tech, a nice gal from the islands, told me my breasts already look as good as reconstructed breasts! I almost fell over...I think it was a compliment. Anyway that set the tone and we had a good time. I told her that other than my husband, she actually might be the last person to see my boobs and what an honor that was! The BEST news is that radiologist told me that even with the dye in me, I could (& should) drink some wine tonight. Well, that's all I needed to hear....

This is even funnier! My 91 year old father-in-law (who lives with us) quipped to me this morning: "You know Liz, I was thinking...losing your breasts is an easy way to lose some weight." You have to know him to get how funny that was. It just seems that God is allowing humor to penetrate my fears & worries today and I'm so grateful for it! Had a crying jag before going to sleep last night (that's a tough time of the day for me), so it was such a gift to have a few laughs today!

The only bummer is that my Costco did not have the flannel shirts! Of course I managed to spend a fortune there regardless...

I see there are new people joining our group every day and I'm looking forward to getting to know each one of you better once I'm home recuperating. To the gals going this week, I want to say I'm with all of you & praying for you and holding all of your hands because by the time I'm back online, you will already have had your surgeries. I will certainly check in as soon as I'm back home...I'll miss you all for the next couple of days! And THANK YOU for all of your prayers & support & for holding my hand! Here we go!

xoxoxo
    Liz

• vargadoll
    vargadoll Member Posts: 1,942
    Options

PugsMama,

I am thankful for your post. Just being able to read about the support and takes the sting out of this difficult time.

Hugs to you!

• Maya15
    Maya15 Member Posts: 112
    Options

Elem, YES it is fine to take a lorazepam just before surgery, in fact my hospital recommends it. They say you can even take one that morning with a tiny sip of water. Personally I couldn't have got through my surgeries so far without it.

Dsmom, you mentioned studies about younger women, and that's a factor my surgeon brought up for me when he recommended BMX (I was 36). They tend to recommend MX more for young women. Part of the reason is not so much recurrence, but higher risk of a new primary breast cancer. If you have a personal history of BC, you're at higher risk for another one, and the risk goes up the younger you are (more years where you could get cancer). Since I've been through more than a year of chemo, I too don't want to have to do this ever again.