Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

June 2017 Surgery Group

Options

Comments

• Hopfull2
    Hopfull2 Member Posts: 287
    edited June 2017
    Options

I had my husband stay the night both nights. They brought in a roll away bed. And he's the one who helped me to get up and use the restroom instead of me bugging the nurse. These drains are such a bother. Can't wait to have them out. For those about to have surgery you are in my prayers. I too had many melt downs before surgery. It's natural. Cry it out

• mucki1991
    mucki1991 Member Posts: 77
    edited June 2017
    Options

ok this is the second group I get leave. Surgery is now for July 14th this puts me 4 months from the start. I don't even have words. Best of luck to all you with your surgery.

• SBKH
    SBKH Member Posts: 104
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hi Mucki1991 - That happened to me too! I think you can stick around if you want! My surgery is now July 6. But I'm already emotionally (and prayerfully) invested in this group so I won't truly leave.

• mucki1991
    mucki1991 Member Posts: 77
    edited June 2017
    Options

Thanks SBKH It just sucks!!! Today I'm accepting tomorrow I will get over it. big hugs to all

• tara17
    tara17 Member Posts: 150
    edited June 2017
    Options

Mucki1991-- i am sorry that you have had a date change . It takes so much to mentally prepare for surgery that its got to be tough ---however this is precisely why we are here to support each other--when things are tough and we hve to express ourselves. The precise date of surgery doesn't matter and we are all here to share and help each other

• ouray17
    ouray17 Member Posts: 39
    edited June 2017
    Options

Got to be at the hospital at 5:15. Think I have a split personality. Part of me is scared stiff. The other part is so ready to get this over and get on the road to recovery. Good luck to all who have surgery this week. I am so grateful for this group. Been re-reading all the post and it's very comforting knowing we are all in this together. Next post will be post-op! Can't wait!

• Hopfull2
    Hopfull2 Member Posts: 287
    edited June 2017
    Options

good luck ouray, keep strong. Big hug for you.

• PauletteK
    PauletteK Member Posts: 1,279
    edited June 2017
    Options

I found out I have BC in April, and I will have my surgery in few days. During the last couple months I was very nervous and I tried to stay calm and positive. I learned there are good and bad days

• KimE
    KimE Member Posts: 34
    edited June 2017
    Options

Good luck ouray and PauletteK, praying for you both to have successful surgeries and speedy recoveries.

Kim

• susanga
    susanga Member Posts: 66
    edited June 2017
    Options

Im praying so hard for all of you. We are so lucky to have each other. Thank you so much for the shared thoughts about nighttime help.

I'm nuclear today so hoping it is over quickly. Surgery tomorrow. I'm feeling scared of course but very anxious for it to be over. My heart goes out to,those of you who had your surgical date changed. The waiting time is awful.

God bless all you beautiful strong women

• legomaster225
    legomaster225 Member Posts: 356
    edited June 2017
    Options

Good luck ladies. I'll be praying for those having surgery in the next few daysand everyone else here on the team. Life is tough, but we are tougher! We can do this!

• SBKH
    edited June 2017
    Options

Legomaster225 - Love your quote, "life is tough, we are tougher!" I was just beginning to re-focus on my own health/care as I got my diagnosis and one of the quotes on the wall at the gym was "don't look back, you're not going that way" and that combined with another post on this board, "the only way to get past it is to go through it" have given me great strength (plus a cancer devotional I'm doing.) I'm normally not a "slogan" person - but right now, any thing that gives me a shred of strength, I cling to. I'm in a difficult home situation without the support I need from my husband and it's just so comforting to not feel alone.

SusanGA - praying for an easy peasy nuclear visit. You are with a fabulous hospital and it will all go well.

Ourray17, you're at the hospital by now - covering you with prayer.

PauletteK, if you want - let us know your date if you're comfortable so I can cover you, too.

I pray for all of you daily - for miraculous, supernatural, complete healing, easy recovery, and peace and rest while you recover.

You are such an authentic, candid, caring group of women. I hope we can continue to post as we move past cancer and back into full, wonderful lives. This time next year - surgery will be way in the rearview mirror.

• pulstk
    pulstk Member Posts: 6
    edited June 2017
    Options

My surgery is tomorrow at 1pm, yep bilateral mastectomy and left axillary node dissection. Not looking forward to the surgery, but looking forward to cutting this cancer out of my body. Since ending chemo, I have already noticed some regrowth probably due to the triple negative status. Agressive little jerks. I am scared, but anxious to get it done quickly. I will br praying for a good outcome for all you lovely June Surgery sisters. God bless, oh and Relay was a blast😁

• tara17
    edited June 2017
    Options

sendign my thoughts and prayers to every single one of you brave wonderful ladies. I cannot wait for the day when each one of us is past this and we all can triumphantly say --"we did it!" Know that every one of your mixed emotions is normal ---after all this is not a choice we willingly sought out, its a choice we have to execute ---and what a testament to our inner wills it is that we keep marching forwards despite every fear is a testament to how life affirming this choice is---each one of us is choosing life and showing courage and will power --we each one of us is makign a life aff

• nightcrawler
    nightcrawler Member Posts: 22
    edited June 2017
    Options

I just got the paperwork today for my 6/26 lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy. It mentions drains. My god, I hope I don't need drains. They just sound horrific to me.

They are doing it as an outpatient procedure, which is good.

It sounds like I may need to sleep on the couch for a few days. We have a waterbed, and I fear having difficulty getting up out of it.

• susanga
    susanga Member Posts: 66
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hi Ladies. Just to report that my nuclear injection happened today. It did not hurt at all. I am so grateful. They used lidocaine and that covered it. Believe me a flu shot hurts worse. They were not able to image the sentinel node so they told me my surgeon would use a probe tomorrow to find it.

Continued prayers for all of you.

• Rlsteadman
    Rlsteadman Member Posts: 36
    edited June 2017
    Options

Prayers to everyone having surgery this week. Doing my pre-op Thursday and my surgery is next week, I am also scared but want to get through surgery. Some of my girlfriends gave me some cute button up pj's. It brightened up my day

• SBKH
    edited June 2017
    Options

SusanGA - what a relief that it wasn't that bad! Prayers for easy surgery and a comfortable quick recovery!

• SBKH
    edited June 2017
    Options

Rlsteadman, PJs make everything better! I'm about to start shopping for some, too. At my house, all the time is jammie time!

• nightcrawler
    nightcrawler Member Posts: 22
    edited June 2017
    Options

Unfortunately, I'm in the ~1% of patients who get nauseated from lidocaine; I was nauseous for a day and a half after my biopsy. I also had nausea for 2-3 days following a laparoscopy [for endometriosis] under general anesthetic. I'm going to mention this to my doctor during my pre-op appointment so that he can either use an alternate anesthetic or prescribe an anti-nausea drug..

I've also got to get a couple of button-down sleeveless shirts. I don't have any. It's hot here in Florida, so I don't want long-sleeve shirts.

• YazMar74
    YazMar74 Member Posts: 6
    edited June 2017
    Options

Well tomorrow is D-day for me - I just want this over with. Second lumpectomy - I was just starting to heal and feel back to normal - but this cancer got to go! - I had a mamogram on Monday and was scared to death - it would hurt - but it was uncomfortable of course but not painful. Can anyone tell me about the sentinel node procedure? I heard its extremely painful - some offer anesthetics others did not.

Anxious!!!!

• legomaster225
    edited June 2017
    Options

Good luck tomorrow YazMar74. Praying for an uneventful surgery for you. I'm scheduled for my sentinel node biopsy and BMX next Thursday and I am constantly thinking about it. It will be nice to get it behind us and continue on with treatment. I just finished chemo last week so not much recovery time. Try to relax and enjoy your day.

• Leatherette
    Leatherette Member Posts: 272
    edited June 2017
    Options

On the 19th, I will have a sentinel node biopsy and left side mx, and wonder, what are people's reactions to their appearance after either a full mastectomy or skin/nipple sparing mastectomy? I'm getting a skin/nipple sparing mx, and am a little freaked out by the thought of an "empty bag" there rather than a tidy line of stitches. I feel like I won't want to look at it. I'm sure it sucks either way. I am not even particularly hung up on my appearance, or so I thought, but I'm worried I'll lose it ifI look. Sorry, not feeling really tough or empowered right now.

• Allabtbirds
    Allabtbirds Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hi one more thing. I had a double mx with diep flap less than 4 weeks ago. It was my first major surgery. I don't remember anything about the surgery and woke up groggy but feeling OK due to morphine drip. I was on a morphine drip for several days. Once I returned home I took a lot of tylenol. In my experience the pain was tolerable and was considerably less each day. The surgery went smooth and I am happy to be progressing quickly. Ladies, you will get through this. I woke up the night of the surgery in shock and relieved that surgery was over. It feels so good to be on the other side of surgery. Good luck to all of you.

• legomaster225
    edited June 2017
    Options

Leatherette- I don't have an answer to the reaction as my surgery is next week also. I have watched some you tube videos just so I can have an idea of what to expect. Maybe that would help you too.It actually looks better than I thought it would when they showed the immediate post surgery results. Less gruesome then I had pictured in my mind. I fully expect to lose it when I first see myself but then like everything else we've been through we will pick it up and move forward. I was very bruised after my biopsies. I was wondering how the bruising was with a mastectomy? The pics I've seen don't show a lot of bruising. Is that true?

• JenRuns
    JenRuns Member Posts: 299
    edited June 2017
    Options

Leatherette, I agree with Legomaster.... if you can find some photos of what you may expect, it might help. The morning after my surgery (bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction, not nipple sparing), my surgeon visited me and suggested I look then... she said it would be the best appearance then, before the swelling and healing kicks in. I also lookedday 3 post op. Both times, I was surprised at how "non-Frankensteinian" it was.

Good luck....

• tara17
    edited June 2017
    Options

to all the ladies wondering about your reaction to your appearance after surgery ----this is what i would say. Completely normal to feel this way, any freaking out now , tears now all normal . I too had all those same emotions and wondered how i would do. I just wanted to run away from all these choices, but i knew i had to do it --so the whole day preop , i kept telling myself that this ws life affirming surgery. After all this heavy emotional turmoil and work, when i woke up from surgery i just felt relief that the surgery was over -- legomaster is absolutely right --like everything else we will pick it up and move forward . It's definitely a major life event to go through this surgery and its going to evoke emotions --so for me, i felt like i went preop through the emotions and postop am going through physical recovery . When i saw myself it was not at all as bad as i had imagined! The PS had filled the tissue expander and so i think that helped.

And as my best friend told me preop , "even if you freak out afterwards , so what ? You have already faced so much and recovered, you will recover from that too. " so i told myself, i trust my ability to recover and told myself to trust in my strength and resilience

Another friend who has BRCA , no cancer, has undergone prophy mastectomy told me this about facing myself after surgery ---you have been through worse, you have heard the words " you have cancer " , this is better than that, you will get through this,

Hope this helps you , ladies! My wishes are truly wtih all you brave ladies , my sisters, going through surgery !! You will truly get through this and then you wil encourage others who have to walk this path

Hugs

Tara

• legomaster225
    edited June 2017
    Options

Thanks Runningmama and Tara17. You're right we will get through this too. It helps to hear your experiences rather than making up the worst senarios in my mind. Runningmama did you experience a lot of bruising after your bmx?

• legomaster225
    edited June 2017
    Options
  • vl22
    vl22 Member Posts: 471
    edited June 2017
    Options

Thanks Legomaster! I'm heading out to the hospital right now for my lumpectomy and reading this before I go helps