Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

June 2017 Surgery Group

Options

Comments

• tara17
    tara17 Member Posts: 150
    edited June 2017
    Options

ladies --to paraphrase sheryl sandberg, . We couldnt have option A ( no diagnosis of cancer, no surgery , none of this ) -- we are facing option B, but lets kick the s*** out of option B! Let's all do this!

https://www.wired.com/2017/04/option-b-sheryl-sandberg-takes-hacker-way-grief/

• SBKH
    SBKH Member Posts: 104
    edited June 2017
    Options

Tara and Legomaster - love your sayings!!! Any ideas for a playlist? I'm trying to put together one to listen to on the way to surgery to distract myself. You girls are amazing and wonderful and I'm so grateful to see that you can go through it and get through it. You are giving me hope.

Meanwhile, I just read my 'what to expect' pamphlet today – I'm shocked by it. Mine says to start raising your arm over your head once a hour the day after surgery and that regular exercise can resume in one week. Meanwhile my surgeon is like "this is a big surgery" - but the pamphlet totally makes it seem like you'll be skipping down a rose filled lane a week later! Did you all have the same thing with the pamphlets you got before surgery? How accurate was it?

Praying for all those with surgery/recovery this week! Hugs.

• Remali
    Remali Member Posts: 9
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hello to everyone, and good luck to all of you having surgeries.  I'm so thankful for this forum. This forum has helped me to become better educated about this awful disease, and about the procedures involved.  

Tomorrow is the Big Day.  After two lumpectomies I am having a unilateral mastectomy tomorrow (June 16th), no reconstruction, I am not overly worried about the mastectomy (well, OK, I am), but I am scared to death about the SNB, so very worried about the pain.  My surgeon has told me I will have 5 injections of the radioactive dye, WITHOUT lidocaine.  The procedure sounds bad enough, but after two lumpectomies (April 2017) I am still quite sore and sensitive in that breast, and so I cannot imagine having 5 needles inserted and then the dye injected.  I have put in a call to the nuclear medicine department this morning, at the hospital where my surgery is scheduled, to get more information as to how they perform the procedure, but most of all I am going to request that lidocaine be used.  I was shocked when I was told (by my surgeon yesterday) that they will not use lidocaine for this, my surgeon was adamant that no lidocaine would be used even when I mentioned that I would like to have lidocaine, so now my surgeon has suggested I could have Versed if i wanted (and I know that will not help me much at all, as Versed does not do much for me unless I am given enough to put me out). Is it common that they do not use lidocaine?  Or is lidocaine used more often than not?

Hugs and healing vibes to everyone!

~Renee

• SBKH
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hi Remali,

I'm getting the same surgery as you - left side. Also having the node biopsy. I think you do not have lidocaine because they use topical numbing gel. You will be just fine! SusanGA posted earlier this week in this thread and she a had good experience with the radioactive dye procedure. Definitely made me feel better about it. I think if you scroll back a page, you'll see it. I'm so sorry you are now on your third procedure. That's quite a surgery roller coaster. I'm glad you are here for encouragement and support.

• Remali
    Remali Member Posts: 9
    edited June 2017
    Options

Thanks SBKH!  The surgeon didn't mention the topical numbing gel, but maybe when I am getting prepped to go in for the node biopsy I can tell them I want them to use that.  I'm just real shocked since it makes no sense to not use lidocaine, the other hospital in my area does use lidocaine for the procedure...  I'm wishing now I had known this earlier.  But, like you say, hopefully it will be alright.  Good luck with your surgery and biopsy, I guess we are all in this together, strength in numbers.  I will look for that post by SusanGA.

• Leatherette
    Leatherette Member Posts: 272
    edited June 2017
    Options

Runningmama, Legomaster2 and Tara17- thank you so much for your responses-just what I needed to hear. I may re-read them multiple times this weekend

• JenRuns
    JenRuns Member Posts: 299
    edited June 2017
    Options

legomaster - not a lot of bruising... somewhat yellowish, but nothing startling or even painful. The whole thing is just uncomfortable, more than painful. I feel like I'm wearing an underwire bra that's 10 sizes too small!!

For activity: my plastics guy had me start doing arm exercises within a few days. I can't imagine "resuming normal activity" though... too tired, for one, and these darn expanders aren't feeling awesomely conducive to running. I did go for a little walk last night though... one week post op.

And the sentinel mode biopsy was nothing. They numbed it, injected, and done. No big deal.

Hang in there gals.... I'm 9 days post op now and completely off pain meds and muscle relaxers. Waiting for the final path report (5 nodes involved but still don't know tumor size - 4 or 5 cm) and have my first med one appointment next week. One step at a time, I guess....

• SBKH
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hey Ourray, Paulette, Yazmar, pulstk, Pauline, Susan - I think all of you have had/are having surgery either yesterday, today or tomorrow (did I miss anyone? our board has a grown a lot!). When you feel well enough, let us know how you are doing. Until then, prayers for an easy recovery and prayers for favorable path reports.

Runningmama - thanks for sharing about bruising the node dye! That gives me courage!

• cbsdetour
    cbsdetour Member Posts: 14
    edited June 2017
    Options

HI ladies, Is there room for one more here? I was diagnosed on May 4th and having a MX with TE on June 23rd. I have been lurking around on this forum for a few weeks now and have found it has been a source of great strength and comfort. I felt it was time to give back.

I have kept myself busy getting everything ready for after surgery (making freezer meals, renting a lift chair (don't think I will be able to get in and out of the water bed for awhile), purchasing PJ's and button down tops, pre-op tests etc. I think I am now ready and the wait for surgery is taking for ever. I am very nervous (scared) but I am also just ready to have this part behind me. I like everyone else am worried about the final path report but realize "it is what it is" and I will get through it as will.

SBKH - I would love to hear more on the cancer devotional you are doing. I have been flooding myself with affirmations and visualization and it has helped a lot.

• JenRuns
    edited June 2017
    Options

welcome (??) CBsDetour :) definitely read the "how to prep for surgery" thread... it was really helpful. I had to laugh at the waterbed comment... yeah, that would be tough :)

• JMBG
    JMBG Member Posts: 20
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hi ladies. My surgery was Wednesday, June 14th for a left side mastectomy and I feel like a mac truck is parked on my chest. I also have an incision under the arm to remove the sentinel node. I was glad to get home this afternoon to be able to actually sleep, kinda hard in the hospital with nurses messing with you every hour. My husband stayed with me and I'm glad he did since I was up going to the bathroom every hour. those IV fluids will go through you fast! I also drank a lot of water because my throat is somewhat raw from the ventilator tube.

The nuclear imaging shots were horrible, no numbing cream or anything and there were 4 of them. The only positive thing I can say is that the pain went away very quickly. Now we wait on the total pathology as well as the oncotype test results. We are praying for low scores and no chemo! Waiting is the hardest part!

I will continue to pray for each of you and remember you are in God's hands. We got this!

• cbsdetour
    edited June 2017
    Options

RunningMama - i see you are just a little over a week post BMX. Did you also have reconstruction? How are you managing now?

JMBG - That all sounds rough! Sounds like you have a good husband. I worry about mine. He has never been much of a caregiver. Did your surgeon say the initial node biopsy was negative and went ahead and ordered the oncotype test or will they wait to do that after the final path?

Praying for you both that everyday in every way you are getting better and better!

• JenRuns
    edited June 2017
    Options

I think I'm doing really well... I did the immediate reconstruction, so I have tissue expanders in. Fills start Monday. I am off pain meds, just uncomfortable (I joke that it's like wearing a lead bra). Drains are a pain in the butt, but I'm hoping they come out on Monday!!

• cbsdetour
    edited June 2017
    Options

Runningmama, Glad to hear you are doing well. I have heard the drains are the worse! I will be having the same surgery. How long did yours take? I think my surgeons estimated 4-5 hours. I am a little nervous being under for so long.

• SBKH
    edited June 2017
    Options

CBsDetour- I totally sympathize on the hubs not being a caregiver. I'm deciding between my mom or my husband to stay with me.

JBMG- did you have any reconstruction?

• susanga
    susanga Member Posts: 66
    edited June 2017
    Options

HI Everyone. I just got home from my surgery and I have to report that it went well. My husband and adult children were with me so I was very well supported. The hospital staff were amazing. Every one of them. I was constantly attended to. I have manageable pain so far. I am sitting in bed propped up on a wedge and will try to sleep that way. One crazy thing happened in the hospital. Several hours after surgery I had to go to the bathroom and they asked me if I wanted to try to walk. I was feeling fine so I said yes. My blood pressure is always very low and as soon as I sat up I began to feel bad. The next thing I know I awaken in bed with at least 8 people looking over me. I heard them say "cancel the code blue" she is back. According to my husband I fell back like a rock, was white as a sheet and could not be awakened. Since I was sweating profusely they feared that I might be having a heart attack. It was all over in a few minutes but it took about 10 years off my husbands life. I have been a fainter all of my life so the whole thing was not that unusual. Back to the he bottom line. They removed two sentinel nodes and my surgeon said they looked good. I should know for sure next week. Thank you all for your prayers and support. I'm so glad to have this part behind me.

• JenRuns
    edited June 2017
    Options

CBsDetour: I was in surgery for 4.5 hours... it flew by ;)

SusanGA: congrats on being home!! I cannot imagine how scared your husband must have been! Way to keep him on his toes ;)

• SBKH
    edited June 2017
    Options

SusanGA that scared me just reading that!!! Your poor husband. It sounds like you have a very sweet family.

So glad you werewell taken care of! That's encouraging since I'll be at the same hospital. If you were able to eat, how was the food? 😜

• cbsdetour
    edited June 2017
    Options

Runningmama: LOL you have a good sense of humor thanks for the double laugh!

SusanGA: Sounds like good news. (Well not the fainting part). Will pray for positive results! What do you want to bet your husband will be watching you sleep all night tonight.

SBKH: I wish my mom was here to be with me. Usually my husband paces and makes me very nervous pre-op. When I had my colonoscopy last year I made him stay in the waiting room and would not let him come back before they wheeled me in.

• mucki1991
    mucki1991 Member Posts: 77
    edited June 2017
    Options

I'm so glad you guys are doing well. For those that had the mastectomy did you need help when you first went home?

• JMBG
    JMBG Member Posts: 20
    edited June 2017
    Options

I'm so glad to be home and yes, Mucki1991, you will need help when you get home. You should stay drugged for a few days and won't be too steady on your feet. SusanGA way to scare all of us! Take it easy but I'm not good at asking for help either, let your family or friends help you. It's hard on them too. My husband gets wiggy at the site of blood but he's being really helpful with the drains so if he can do it, your husbands and family can do it too! ! Oh, and the hospital food was pretty nasty but the night after surgery, my throat was very sore from the ventilator. I also got a shot in the stomach before we left yesterday. Supposedly it was to help with no clotting. That shot really hurt and burned!

CBsdetour, yes I left with an expander and will have final reconstruction in the fall, at least that's what I'm planning They were not able to fill the expander much because my skin is apparently very thin. I had the sentinel nodes removed but everything looked ok in the node area so hopefully the path report will confirm this. The oncotype was already scheduled for me because the total mass size was 2.1 cm and a grade 2. Continuing to pray for slow scores!

It's been extremely helpful and encouraging to read everyone's posts and know we are in this together.

• susanga
    edited June 2017
    Options

It is just so nice to have this surgery behind me and I look forward to final pathology with prayers and hope. I slept well last night from about 9 to 3 AM. Since I was so stiff I just propped up in bed to talk to all of you. I am uncomfortable but nothing awful. I do think that if you don't have reconstruction there is less pain. My heart goes out to those of you wearing the "iron bra". That must be a challenge.

JMBG I am so sorry about the nuclear injection. There is just no reason for it. There are other ways. There is someone on this site who is making it her cause to change this. I hope she is successful.

SBKH the food was fine but just not the kind I can eat. I have pre-diabetes and control it with low carb eating. Everything they gave me had carbs so I ate very little until I got home and ate the refrigerator. The bowel issues should be fun!!

For those of you who don't have someone to stay with you in the hospitalI think all will be well. They had to unplug me from so many gizmos each time I had to go to the bathroom that my husband was unable to help. I had a constant IV, and leg pumpers on. For a while I even had a blood pressure and oxygen monitor on me. Since they monitor input and output the nurses always were there when I had to go. They also gave me round the clock medication. ThumbsUp I really need my husband now that I am home. Thank God he has taken time off from work. He is doing well with the drain.

I am praying for all of you. We will all get through this together.

• vl22
    vl22 Member Posts: 471
    edited June 2017
    Options

Surgery was yesterday- was in hospital 11am- 5:30. Because my 2 tumors were both nonpalpable, I had to have wire bracketing done first in radiology. That, my friends, was horrible. I was so nauseous at one point I knew I was going to faint - hadn't eaten since 8:30 the previous night and menstruating! Smelling salts brought out twice. After that painful experience surgery was a breeze. I 'm in bed right now just relaxing, refusing to fret about the pathology results I'll get 6/23. Getting all worked up won't change anything. Good luck to all who are getting ready for surgery and fast healing for the rest of us. I am truly inspired by the strength and compassion here

• Runnermum
    Runnermum Member Posts: 346
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hi ladies! I haven't checked in here for a few weeks. I had a lumpectomy on Wed the 14th along with sentinel node biopsy. Everything went well. I had 2 tumors in right breast. I arrived at the day unit about 4 hrs before my scheduled surgery. I did have the wire placement done that morning before surgery, along with a mammo to make sure they were placed correctly and the dye for the SNB. I was numbed up pretty well for the wire placement and it wasn't so painful. The worst part was when they numbed the area around the deeper tumor. That was uncomfortable. Little discomfort when they put my breast between tbe paddles and it was somewhat uncomfortable in the position they had me on the table. But not any worse then the MRI biopsy I had a few weeks ago. It took about 40 min for both wires. I was still very numbed up for the dye procedure. That was quick and just slightly uncomfortable. My lumpectomy went well. I went home about 3 hrs after my surgery was completed. I feel good. Took 1 pain pill the night I went home before bed and have been fine with extra strength Tylenol since. I was groggy yesterday morning when I woke up, I am sure a combo of anesthesia and the other drugs they gave me for pain and nausea prior to surgery. We changed my dressings last night. Spending my days resting and icing. I get to shower later today! And now yes I wait for the results. I have a post op on Tuesday next week and my surgeon said he may call before that.

Good luck to all of you, whose surgery is coming up and continued prayers for healing for those of you who have had surgery this month already. I did feel relief to have this pArt over.

• vl22
    vl22 Member Posts: 471
    edited June 2017
    Options

Glad you did okay with the wire placement - I almost called it a day after that! Some people seem to find out immediately about node status, but I see you didn't either. Good luck and I assume by your name you're a runner? I am too and hopeto be back on the trail soon!

• Runnermum
    Runnermum Member Posts: 346
    edited June 2017
    Options

VL...yes I am a runner too! Not running for these next few weeks is going to be tough. I had a really bad MRI biopsy in May. They nicked a vein and I developed a gigantic hematoma. It still wasn't completely resolved by my surgery, 4 wks later. It actually delayed my surgery about a week or so. My surgeon did drain it during the lumpectomy. So my wire placement may have felt worse had I not had the fresh memory of that horrible biopsy in my mind. I did feel a little light headed after and the ice pack they gave me helped. Get some rest today. I am feeling good. Still taking Tylenol and icing. My breast is slightly swollen. And yes I have to wait for node results also. I knew that prior to surgery but had secretly hoped he would be able to give us some info on the nodes after surgery. I hate the waiting game. Ugh! Good luck to you too!!

• susanga
    edited June 2017
    Options

Vl2 and runnermum. So glad it is behind you. I'm still feeling so bad for you having painful procedures. They just have to do this better. I'm praying for all of us to have good pathology outcomes. Stay strong beautiful ladies

• ouray17
    ouray17 Member Posts: 39
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hi everyone! Glad everyone is doing great! Had a bmx this past Tuesday. Ended up with a 9 hr surgery. 2 of the sentinel nodes were positive so had a axillary disection. Also, had tissue expanders put in. Came home yesterday. Today has been great. Walked a lot, did prescribed exercises and pain is minimal so I've cut back on the meds.

None of my exercises have me raising my arms over my head. Told me not to lift anything over 5 pounds and not to push or pull so using quads to get up. Wish I'd known that sooner & I would have been exercising my quads more. The dye was no problem - they used lidocaine and then the dye. They said i'd pee blue for a couple of days. I was so groggy after surgery, I couldn't tell if I'd gone until I saw the blue!

Lots of relief that the surgery is behind me and the cancer in the breast is gone. Going to try and spend the next few days getting well, then will deal with the path report. Already know I'll have chemo because of the nodes, but the surgeon thinks very likely only the couple of nodes had cancer, but she did her best to get a clear margin.

Have thought about and prayed for all of you! A friend of mine has triple negative and just finished chemo. She is having a bmx on the 30th. I showed her our group today and encouraged her to join. We are all in this together!

• SBKH
    edited June 2017
    Options

Ourray17, that so wonderful about being home and walking! I'm sorry to hear about the positive nodes. Will continue to pray for full healing and a return to full health - every cell as perfect and healthy as God designed it to be. And thank you so much for sharing how things are going. Just as I start to get nervous, I re-read this board and it gives me strength and peace. You all are so wonderful. I think irl - I'd have fun having coffee with any one of you. I wonder if cancer screens for awesomeness when it's choosing who to hit? I bet your friend joining us is awesome too. awesome > cancer.

Runnermum - praying for your biopsy results, as well! I hope the rest of the swelling goes down quickly for you and that your wait is quick (with good news)!

VL22 - omg -I can totally related. I'm supposed to be having my heaviest cycle days the day of and the day after my surgery. I'm anemic from it and having surgery to fix that in late September so I'm really wondering - how will I change my pad once an hour as I go through the surgery day and the day after? I'm hoping the hospital will have some solutions... It's also a touch embarrassing. But it's the women's center, so maybe they've seen everything?

SusanGa- hope recovering is continuing to go well! For calling the nurses -I'm someone that pees constantly when I get IV fluids, did they mind coming in every time? And are you allowed to be more mobile if you want - like to sit in the guest chair or walk around?

Little by little, we're all getting through this! I wish my surgery hadn't been moved... I'd be 2 days post-op by now. I'm so ready to get on with my life.

hugs!

• JenRuns
    edited June 2017
    Options

SBKH: regarding the frequent bathroom visits... I'm a baby bladder too. They kept the catheter in until just before midnight (surgery ended at 4:30), and I really didn't need to "go" until 3 or 4 am. Then it was almost every hour.

My advice: Ask your nursing assistant when shift change is ... and plan accordingly. You won't see anyone during that time period, no matter how badly you have to go ;) (I made the mistake of waiting for pain meds and it was shift change. I was irritable as heck while I waited.

(Side note: Changed my ID... I was confusing myself with runnermum!)