Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

June 2017 Surgery Group

Options

Comments

• tara17
    tara17 Member Posts: 150
    edited June 2017
    Options

glad to hear everyone on this board is marching along their treatment path. Re frequent bathroom visits --the IV pumps usually have a battery life -so if there is a battery life of several hours , you can ask them to leave the pump unplugged so it runs on battery and you can then wheel the pole on your own to the bathroom ---on your own that is , if you are not groggy with meds or can use your hand /arm properly . So have to use judgment on that --but the IV pôle doesn't have to hold you back

SBKH -re pads, the hospital should be totally equipped for that . Tell the nurses who admit you that you will need help with this and I am sure they will assist you

Hugs to all you awesome ladies

• pulstk
    pulstk Member Posts: 6
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hello all, home now after my radical bilateral mastectomy with Left side axillary node dissection on Wednesday. The surgeon said everything went perfect and he will have the dissection results, etc. At the follow up appt next Thursday. I will be honest, I hurt, but it is manageable with the Norco they sent me home with. Make sure to be completely honest with hospital staff and your doctors about pain levels, no reason to be in agony at home when there are meds to help.

I have a fantastic support system that includes my hubby, mom and sister. This makes a huge difference, and if you are blessed with people in your life who want to be there for you, this is the time to let them. I tend to be a control freak, so chemo was a quick lesson in how to let others do for you. It will be much easier to focus on healing when the home, kids are being taken care of by others. I am praying for each of you on this board, and thank you for your prayers also❤

• susanga
    susanga Member Posts: 66
    edited June 2017
    Options

ourray17. What a positive attitude. I think you will handle chemo as well also. I'm with you on the exercises. I am not supposed to go over 90 degrees.

SBKH if I annoyed them with bladder calls they sure did not show it. Good advice about change if shift. They have to count Jed's and give report so there can be delays.

They did not let me move around until all equipment was off if me. Then I started walking the halls.

Prayers still for all

• ouray17
    ouray17 Member Posts: 39
    edited June 2017
    Options

Okay Ladies.. hope i've got this right!

noodlesman 5/31 bmx, JenRuns 6/6 bmx, JMBG 6/14 umx, pulstk 6/14 bmx, SusanGA 6/14 bmx, Tara17 6/14 umx, salasila 6/13 bmx,

stepmic 6/12 bmx, Kim E. 6/2 bmx, Yaz Mar 74 6/15 bmx, allabtbirds 5/16 bmx, Hopfull2 surgery 3 weeks ago, VL 22 6/15 lump

remaki - 6/17 umx, runnermom 6/14 lump, ouray17 6/13 bmx - WE ARE THE CANCER CONQUERERS!

NEXT UP in the fight!

mucki1991 - you are a member of the June group - you can be July also! More is better!

rlsteadman 6/22 umx, SBKH 7/6 umx, illimae 6/27, leatherette 6/19 umx, legomaster 225 6/22 bmx, PauletteK 6/20, night crawler, 6/26,

CBoDetour 6/23

Please if I misspelled anyone or missed a date or diagnosis, please copy & repost. This is our awesome group and as SBKH said

awesome > cancer! Those of you fixing to have surgery - the waiting is the worse - concentrate on the wonders of your life and focus on the positives! I promise after surgery there is such a great relief that it is over! Be sure to take pain meds! You are not a sissy, your body need to heal and rest and you will need to start walking and do exercises. They sent me home with a lidocaine patch (under, not on the incision), valium (muscle relaxer) and norco. Surgery Tuesday, Got out of hospital Wednesday afternoon, 5 hour drive home Thursday. Only used the lidocaine patch and valium at night to sleep as I get sore after being in bed for awhile. Took 3 norcos today so pain is definitely getting under control.

Have someone to help you for a few days, depending on what happens in surgery. I am not suppose to lift-pull-push over 5 pounds until my doctor visit. I also have 5 drains. They are more of an annoyance than anything, but I physically can't reach under the backs of my arms to clean the drains. My daughter is staying 5 days with us. Allowed my hubby to go to work yesterday & get caught up on stuff today. Please don't try to be a hero. This surgery is very doable, but ask for help! Then, maybe down the road, we can return the favor.

On a fun note, my son summited a 14er, Mt. Blanca in Colorado day! He and his wife stayed with me Sunday through Wednesday. Then he headed to Colorado Thursday night. I told him to conquer the mountain as we are going to conquer ours! The pictures he's been sending are awesome. So ready to get life back!

Thanks to all of you! This group helped so much in getting prepared for surgery & getting through it. Feels wonderful to be in recovery!

• SBKH
    SBKH Member Posts: 104
    edited June 2017
    Options

WOW! Thank you for putting all the dates together! Love it.

Oh gosh - I love Colorado. I'm from Kansas and grew up skiing there every winter and spring break. So miss it. I'm sure your son is having an amazing trip.

On the pain - I've asked my dr to avoid opiates because the side effects are way more miserable than the pain relief for me. And since I'm only having a uni with no reconstruction I thought I could squeak by without. She said she'll use a nerve block and Toradol during surgery, Toradol and advil after. A lidocaine patch sounds brilliant though. Are those common? I asked about a continuous nerve because I know some docs use those - but she said no.

• tara17
    edited June 2017
    Options

SBKH -- just plain tylenol helped me too for pain . so consider some tylenol and advil or tornadol. Are both Advil and toradol at the same time advisable ? I think they belong to the same category of anti-inflammatoires . I ask because i took Advil for a joint issue a few years ago and it caused me stomach issues ; so i would ask if the two together is advisable ---your doctor knows better of course, but just a question in my mind

Ouray17--THANK YOU SO MUCH for putting all the dates together ! a fabulous group of ladies and cant wait for everyone to be on the other side --i echo your sentiment that its just a great sense of relief to be on the other side and on the way to recovery . Nice to get your update on how you are doing

• IGL
    IGL Member Posts: 17
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hi Ladies,

I am also having surgery in June. I recently was diagnosed with a local recurrence of IDC. I will have a BMX and axillary node dissection on June 26th. You are all in my prayers and please include me in yours.

I know how scary surgery is and recovery is tough, but you will come out of this experience stronger and with more confidence than ever before. My biggest piece of advise to you is to get to physical therapy as soon as your surgeon will allow. It will be a turning point in your recovery.

Hugs

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,577
    edited June 2017
    Options

Ouray17, thanks for the breakdown for everyone. My surgery will be lumpectomy and alnd (left) with a reduction/lift. I'm ready but hate the idea of being put under. Oh well, I made through chemo ok, I can handle this too :)

• tara17
    edited June 2017
    Options

IGL ---physical therapy advice is just a great piece of advice. Wil be thinking of you and sending healing vibes your way on june 26th.

Illimae --what will the date of your surgery be? You will definitely handle this

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,577
    edited June 2017
    Options

Tara, my surgery is 6/27

• cbsdetour
    cbsdetour Member Posts: 14
    edited June 2017
    Options

Ouray: Yes Thanks for putting the dates all together it makes it easier to see where at the June group is and who all to pray for. Also thank you for reminding me to focus on the positives. I am anxious to get this behind me but am feeling more nervous the closer to surgery I get. I am like Illamie and hate the idea of being put under. Curious on how you did with the 5 hour trip! My commute will only be two hours that I am not looking forward to. My DH is a LEO and hate to say, his driving is the worst! Always has to be messing with the radio or phone etc. I don't know how many times I have said Gee we made it 15 minutes without hitting rubble strips. I can never relax as I feel like I have to watch the road for him.

Curious what everyone wore home. I am thinking about just putting on PJ's. That way when I get home I won't have to change again. (It's the little things I am focusing on now!)

I hope everyone who had surgery last week is getting stronger every day and healing perfectly.

SBKH: Are you still in Kansas? I lived 50 years of my life in the Shawnee Mission area and moved to Central (Western) Kansas 6 years ago when I got married. I will be having my surgery in Wichita.

• tara17
    edited June 2017
    Options

CBS detour --- its a very good question to ask about what to wear home --- one needs a loose fitting top to accomodate the drains by your side and also front buttoning as arm motion will be limited . Ask the nurse if the surgical bra will be able to hold the drains or whether they give you a fanny belt to wear the drains home

Working on healing. The tissue expander is very painful --so thats one of my main issues now

• JenRuns
    JenRuns Member Posts: 299
    edited June 2017
    Options

CBsDetour: I wore a button down pj shirt (Target had a few that were super soft) and a loose pair of cotton capris (yoga-type pants). Definitely grateful I grabbed those instead of my full-length, snugger pants ... I wouldn't have been able to get those on at all.

Even now, just over 10-days post-op, the fabric makes a huge difference. I wore a stiffer cotton button down the other day and it drove me nuts... just irritated the skin in the center of my chest. Soft is good :)

I went home with a surgical bra, which I'm able to pin the drains to. I've worn it every day (washing intermittently of course!)

• susanga
    edited June 2017
    Options

Thank you Ouray for the list. Really nice.

I am so looking forward to PT. I don't do well with not being active but there is a definite weakness that I have to shed.

I wore a loose fitting button down shirt coming home. You will need a small pillow between you and the seatbelt. Our hospital provided one. Very useful. They also gave me a bra with drain holders.

I will say that so far the most useful thing I purchased was a U shaped pillow. It helps me to sleep on my back and elevate my arm. Very comfortable.

You will be so glad to have this surgery behind you. I agree that the waiting was by far the worst.

Hugs and prayers brave ladie

• SBKH
    edited June 2017
    Options

CBsdetour - I'm now in Atlanta - grew up in the same area as you and went to NDS for high school. I so miss Kansas - land of sunflowers and meadowlarks... I'm home for 2 weeks every year at Christmas.

Appreciate all the advice on what to wear home!

• JMBG
    JMBG Member Posts: 20
    edited June 2017
    Options

To all of the ladies having surgery this week, I wish you the best and will say prayers for each of you. Mine was last weds and I'm doing great walking around but forget not to lift the left arm, however the drains and the incision under the arm are "gentle reminders" not to do too much. My husband watches me like a hawk but he's doing great managing the drain charts and medications. I have two drains and I hope to have one of them removed this week, I'm down to half of the pain meds but now I have the pooping problem! The drugs will really do a number on your system.

Can't wait to get my patholoy reports back! Again, waiting is the hardest part! It's comforting to know we are experiencing the same worries and these feelings are normal. Much love ladies and prayers for healing.

• cbsdetour
    cbsdetour Member Posts: 14
    edited June 2017
    Options

Thanks for the tips ladies. Over sized soft button down PJ's it is. I just happen to have a pair or 2. I also have one of those pillows you use on an airplane. Is that what you are referring to Susan?

So my next question.... For those of you have already had surgery. What was your first outing and how many days post surgery was it. (Going to the Dr. does not count). Maybe I am deluding myself here. I am wondering if I will be able to spend a few hours out on the 4th watching the night works.

Also who all has pets? I have 2 small dogs that are not going to understand the lack of attention from me when I get home. They are my fur babies and spoiled rotten.

So it's countdown Leathers and Danielle. If you see this before your surgery tomorrow. know that we are all praying for you and sending good vibes your way

• ouray17
    ouray17 Member Posts: 39
    edited June 2017
    Options

Those with surgery this week - know we are praying and keeping you in our thoughts. Please keep in touch when you can.

On being put out - I hate that more than anything. Told them to give me a cocktail sooner than later. Did not want to see the operating room.

Also, really tried to stay focused on the things I want to do in the future and in details to pass the time & not be as scared.

Going home - the 5 hour trip wasn't too bad. They made me wear compression hose & I wore a soft, stretchy gown with pockets that snapped down the front. Felt like I looked like my grandmother, but you do what you need to do. Had to stop every hour and walk for 5 minutes. We were on interstate so stopped at 3 roadside parks & one QT (women's bathroom is on the left side just inside the door) My brother jokingly suggested McDonalds - NO WAY!

Today was awesome! Except for the annoying drains, I felt wonderful. Movement is much better, felt like myself. Took 1 pain pill today. Best Part: I got dressed: stretchy shorts with pockets and a button up sleeveless shirt. Put the 2 drains that are hardly draining in the shorts pockets & penned the other 3 to the top of the shorts. Went to the assisted living facility to see my 89 year old father-in-law. He has been very emotional about this, but you could see the relief to actually see me and knowing I'm doing great!

Again, everyone with upcoming surgeries, you can do this! We are here with you!

Karen

• JenRuns
    edited June 2017
    Options

CBsDetour: If you're not running around, I think the festivities of the 4th should be fine... for me, it was the drains that kept me in. By one week post op, I had a lot more energy, but the more I did, the more I drained. I seriously felt "fine" pretty quickly. I wouldn't plan for long walking or anything like that, but going somewhere to watch fireworks should be an easy outing.

Update: I got my drains out today!!! 13-days post op and I'm so gloriously happy... it came with my first fill (feeling tight again) but I'll happily trade those drains for a fill

• susanga
    edited June 2017
    Options

Prayers for all the surgeries this week. You got this ladies.

CBSDetour the pillow I am referring to is a body pillow that is U shaped it comes down to my knees on both sides. It has supported and cradled me and kept me from rolling to my side. So very comfortable. Best purchase by far.

I went out this morning and felt pretty good. Feeling very tight with continued zingers.i took two ibuprofen and the helped. At this point I have no need for the hydrocodone.i could have done without the one I took.

Waiting for path results on Wednesday.

• legomaster225
    legomaster225 Member Posts: 356
    edited June 2017
    Options

Congrats on getting your drains out JenRuns! I'm glad things are moving along for you!! ThumbsUp

• Runnermum
    Runnermum Member Posts: 346
    edited June 2017
    Options

prayers and hugs this week for those having surgery. Continued prayers are being said for those that are healing and waiting for results as well.

Congrats Jenruns on getting drains out!!

I continue to feel well. A little more tired then normal but I have gotten out the last couple days to walk. Anxious to start running again. Still have some numbness in armpit and tricep area. Have my post op appt tomorrow morning. While I felt some relief right after my surgery, as the days have passed I have been under quite a bit of stress and anxiety. Migraines, headaches, anxiety symptoms, it has been a long 6 wks since my diagnosis and I am just really anxious to have complete pathology back and start my treatment. I truly hate how this disease makes me feel so weak.

• SBKH
    edited June 2017
    Options

Yay for getting drains removed!!!

So reading what you all are writing - for those that did not do reconstruction - will I be sorry that I'm not taking pain meds? Or will be it be okay? And is scary/painful to have the drains? I've been told I'll see the drain under my skin (my surgeon uses the plastic surgery drains, even if you don't have the reconstruction, because they clog less). Will the drain give me muscles spasms? I'm throwing up a little in my mouth just thinking about the drains -it's so upsetting to think about! Also - I have a wedge - but it's hard to sleep on, I roll off. So was planning to sleep in a recliner. But is there a reason for being elevated? Has there been any side effect of recovery that was surprising (good or bad) you want to share so I won't so surprised? Thank you ladies!

I'm so happy to hear so many of you are up and around!

• vl22
    vl22 Member Posts: 471
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hi runnermum!

I had my lumpectomy 6/15 and I am also so ready to get running again! To be honest, I'm more sore than I thought I'd be and riding in the car and walking leaves me uncomfortable. I guess I thought I'd feel almost normal again in a couple days. I get my pathology results this Friday and I'm also extremely anxious - a mess at times really. Surgery day I was so happy and positive and two days later the clouds came rolling in! It is such a mind game and I wish none of us had to play. The worst for me is that ifthe news on Friday is not what I expect I have to share that information with my kids. But my gut really is telling me things will be good. I hope you also get positive news and can get running soon - it really is such great medicine!

• salasila
    salasila Member Posts: 22
    edited June 2017
    Options

thanks for putting up the list Ouray17.

I had my bmx and immediate recon on june 13th at 7.30am. I was terrified!!! But everyone was so nice and they let my husband stay to hold my hand until i was about to be wheeled off to OR - and I was apparently already knocked out by then, according to hubs. I woke up (maybe 6-7hrs later) with hubs holdingmy hand. So absolutely NO recollection of even how the OR looked like. I woke up feeling like i have bricks sitting on my chest. Was NOT expecting that!!! The heaviness and the tightness was uncomfortable but not really painful. I didn't click on too much of the painkillers and havent taken a single hydrocone since i've been home on friday.

Being home to recover is nice. We're in a two-storey house and the master bed is on the 2nd floor. I have no problem going up and fown the stairs. Thankfully we have recliners on both floors. If it weren't for these 5 drains i think I it wouldnt be bad at all. But the drains make doing EVERYTHING annoying. I pinned them to my shirt and try to live with them. Have a doc appt tomorrow and im so hopefully to get rid of them.

I have taken the total amount of 2 showers since being home. Too much work to adjust the damn drains around. Also, took laxative the day i arrived home and got that sorted out real quick 😁

• Leatherette
    Leatherette Member Posts: 272
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hello all,

I had my UMX with sentinel node biopsy today. Not in pain, did not freak out when I saw my scar. Happy to have this behind me. Staying overnight at surgery center

• legomaster225
    legomaster225 Member Posts: 356
    edited June 2017
    Options

Great news Leatherette! I'm glad you're doing well. That is encouraging for me as I count down my days. Praying for continued healing for you

• mucki1991
    mucki1991 Member Posts: 77
    edited June 2017
    Options

So glad all

Of you seem to be doing well after surgery!! just curious for those that had the bilateral mastectomy how long did you stay in the hospital I'm currently under the impression that I'll only be in one night?

Wishing all of you quick recovery

• Leatherette
    Leatherette Member Posts: 272
    edited June 2017
    Options

Thank you for the well-wishes! We had been hoping to do nipple sparing, but it wasn't feasible. It didn't upset me in the least.I am just glad to have the 7x7x7 cm tumor out! Having a heck of time typing on Percocet, so goodnight

• JenRuns
    edited June 2017
    Options

leatherette: congrats on being home and feeling well!

Mucki1991: I cam out of post op at 5 pm and went home at 11:30 am the next morning. (I was grateful to be leaving. I wanted to be in my own home.