Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Comments

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,390

Chicagoan I will likely make it for Sunday and depending how much I have, take it over to Monday. I have been good and not eaten any of the tuxedo cake. Post Thanksgiving, if t here is some left, I can have small pieces.

Mel, I am glad your scans were stable and that you are looking into coming off meds or going lower on the dosage. I often imagine going off Herceptin and just being scanned. There was one person, Jen in Detroit or Michigan I believe who was able to stop her treatment, that would be great for me.

Candy, sorry to hear about the cataracts but that they are not bad yet, in your pocket for upcoming scans as well.

Emac, I love the plant and the name as well.

AJ, love the troll.

Cookie 54, I don't have a huge sweet tooth anymore, pancakes are the only way I get some and I limit that to once a week. I figure the dessert can be once at most twice a week since it is in the freezer.

wren44, I used to enjoy the cake from M&M's market on the regular. Part of the purchase is because I finally made room for a dessert section in the freezer. Going to organize it to stay there

• mara51506
    edited October 2023

We seem to be hitting the cooler part of fall, pulled out hoodies from the closet that I would wear, I mostly am in hoodies through the winter as well as vests, we will see, I put winter wear in a grey pillow and it sits on the chair, kept everything from getting dusty.

Starting laundry and making breakfast. Made a few onion rings in the breville. Planning to cook some eggs, chopped beans in the same fry pan to add some taste to the mixture, should be good as well. Was going to go to the mall but the road is muddy from the rain, will need to hold off and start using treadmill more inside. I can also do more money earning stuff as well.

Edited to add, cooked up the 4 onion rings and chopped up the cooked onion rings with 1/4 cup beans, little bit of cheese and little bit of wheat bran. Added one egg and precooked hotdog. Not much food really but it really filled me up. All chopped items were put in the frypan and warmed through. It was good, onion taste was light and the chicken seasoning and bit of salt added to it. The mayo added a nice zip and again, not much food included but was really, really good for me.

I have been watching a channel on youtube called Dollar Tree Dinners, lots of good ideas on there for good food.

• gailmary
    gailmary Member Posts: 494

It sounds like most here are doing quite well. That's good going with a new MO when you're not in crisis mode. I hope you all like your new doctor.

Cheesecake here wouldn't last 3 days.

Love the gremlins. We have an invisible troll under the bridge 400ft in front of our house. Some people toss their toll towards water driving by. We go out daily and collect a few coins.

DH just tested positive for covid. Hope I don't get it.

Mel, good luck with whatever change is made to your meds. Sure hope it gets those SE under control.

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,561

Theo - Boo!

• sf-cakes
    sf-cakes Member Posts: 600

Theo is an adorable ghost!

Emac, your plant is beautiful, and perfect name for it, too. Hope the break gives you some relief from side effects.

Candy and Mel, I'm also 53, and when I get out of bed with the typical morning joint pain, I feel much much older. One of my friends is 70 and plays pickleball regularly...thankfully she's open to hanging out and eating pastries when she's with me.

Got the new covid vaccine yesterday, feeling some body aches and a mild headache today. Hopefully my body will build up new antibodies, as I'm planning to travel at the end of the month!

Waving hello to all ❤️

• irishlove
    irishlove Member Posts: 562

Gee you ladies are making me hungry for cheesecake and anything Mara cooks. She is so inventive with different food sources.

Theo, tell Mom you need begging strips for a Halloween treat. The crows are really walking around outside yelling for dry cat food, like they own the joint (Genevieve's saying). I have two large bowls of water for them on the ground and there is always one or two that dip their feet in the water. One soaks the dry cat food in a bowl.

I love that so many of you ladies are Phillies fans. Game starts in an hour. That Stott grand slam was so grand that the announcers said not a word. The fans spoke for everyone.. Bet those of you that live close by thought it was an earthquake. lol

Well I sent off one of my well thought out letters to CEO/COO of Advent Health. They own the cancer center and I couldn't resist giving them grief about MO turnover. DH's oncologist had worked there in the past and told us "they do things differently then I prefer". Code for they wouldn't hire extra help for him or for the next MO, which happened to be my MO. That translates to higher burnout rate. Neither one lasted a year. sigh. Doubt I'll hear back but they turned around and hired a Nurse Praction. anyway to see patients while they try to hire. Pay these people well, keep them staffed properly, as patients truly depend on that.

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 711

Happy Sunday dear sisters - we just got done with a wonderful visit with our best friends from Michigan. They arrived Tuesday and left this late morning after church and brunch. We had a fabulous visit drinking wine, playing games and having fabulous meals. My friend Cathy is the best cook I know. She always tries new recipes and rarely has a dud. She also cleans up afterwards. She is the sister I never had and has a heart of gold. She always takes care of me. She is an angel to many. And speaking of cheesecake, she brought a spiced pumpkin with ginger snap crust one. Talk about divine! I plan to make one for Thanksgiving it was so good. At the end of October will meet them in Traverse City, MI to go up into wine country there for a couple days. I’m comfortable going as we’re driving and it should not be crowded since we’ll be there midweek.
    Boy has fall really ushered in. I had the AC on midweek and turned the heat on Friday. Went from 80 to 40 in 2 days. I love fall, it is my favorite season. Time to flip on the gas fireplace and snuggle with the pups.
    I breezed through reading posts this week but I recall we had some good news - I remember that Mel got a stable report and someone was going to Florida. I also recall Irishlove is absent an oncologist. There must be a doc that is covering the PA as she can’t work independently. I’ve missed remembering much else - doesn’t mean I don’t love all of you it’s just my brain is mush. I know I can always count on a great post from our energizer bunny Mara - I hope your posts always continue in the same way❤️. I’m saddened when I read of struggles which we all have. This disease is so relentless😕😕

• bellelove70
    bellelove70 Member Posts: 38

(LivingIVlife)

Mel- Congratulations on stable scan results! It would be wonderful if you could take a break from Ibrance. Also Theo looks adorable but probably wondering what is going on.

Love the troll sculptures.

It is Thanksgiving weekend here but no turkey at our house. I have been feeling like crap with no energy and no appetite. Soup has been the staple for me. Hopefully tomorrow I will feel better to have special son .

Waving hello to everyone. Happy Thanksgiving to our Canadian family.

• mkestrel
    mkestrel Member Posts: 180

Hi all, here's some fall colors from the mountains. I was able to hike a ways up to the fire lookout and ride my mountain bike on a trail. Hot springs repeatedly... didn't soak in the one in the picture, too hot!

• AJ
    AJ Member Posts: 253

@mkestrel , gorgeous! Congratulations on doing that hike!

• irishlove

Waving hello to all. Stunning pictures of trolls and fall weather. So happy it's cooling off, as I love fall. Even here in northcentral Florida it was lovely today.

There is a 2nd MO in the office next to my prior MO. She has zero openings for months out, but they sent me to that side to get my injection and infusion when my MO was absent. It truly was a zoo, no seats available so we set out in the hallway. Mel, congratulations on getting off Ibrance and stable scans. Did you get a new MO yet, and did they help with that decision making? I'm so happy for you after years of treatment.

Ok, so who watched the Phillies blank the Atlanta Braves??? What a game. Game 2 tomorrow night at Atlanta and then, look out cause The Bank is gonna rock in Philly. It is such a wonderful distraction from all this medical crap. That and The Voice. Otherwise, not to much to cheer about. The Eagles did their thing too. 5 and 0 in conference.

I have to go for special blood testing tomorrow as my creatine was high. Never happened before and I think I did it to myself. I doubled up on Vit. D for two weeks and I bet that skewed that last lab report. Then on to the audiologist. I've been watching every youtube claiming a cure to tinnitus, or opening the ear. So far, temp relief from tinnitus, but it comes right back again. I hope they offer to try and treat the eustaychion (try spelling that word right, lol) tube first, before hearing aides. We'll see.

Happy Thanksgiving to our beloved Canadian friends.

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 806

Goldens So happy for you it sounds like you really enjoy time spent with your friends. It's so nice to be surrounded by good friends! Plus the bonus of her being a good cook lol.

Irish Yes what a great game, looking forward to game 2 tonight! Had a nice football Sunday here, roast was in the crockpot and made homemade chocolate chips. So excited that the Birds are 5-0! Sorry to hear tinnitus , you certainly don't need that on top of everything else. Hope you find permanent relief.

mkestrel Beautiful picture, look like a great place to bike!

bellelove70 Happy belated Thanksgiving to you and all our Canadian sisters here. Hoping you feel better today to see your son.

Waving hi to all here sending good vibes and wishes to all who are struggling .

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 711

Scans today. I always pray that they will be stable.

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,025

In your pocket Goldens!

loving the 🦅 Eagles winning. And Phillies getting business done. Loving the post season so far! Hugs to everyone

dodgersgirl. Hope you’re ok too!

• micmel

Beautiful photos Mkestrel! Loving those views. Talk about peaceful. ! I can picture sitting there for hours lost in peace.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,691

In your pocket for scans and wishing everyone a good week 🙂

• mara51506

Love the views in the pictures.

I am still in everyone's pocket. Was going to take a walk for the mail but the road is full of puddles, did not feel safe, too bad since there are no construction machines out today. I did manage a large bag of garbage, have one more to take out as well. I found that putting the bag down one step ahead of myself while holding the railing allowed me to feel safe enough. I really hope the road is done before snow or I will not be going out at all. Oh well, will keep up with PT and treadmill tomorrow, took a break over the weekend.

Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Canadians.

• micmel

Nice to see you Mae!

• irishlove

In your pocket for stable scans Goldens. In everyone's pockets for scans and all that you may need.

Blood test today took 3 pokes to find a vein. The cancer center is going to bring in a local MO on a temp. basis. We went for lunch and mine was not so good so I skipped lunch.

Went on to audiologist and after 1 hour wait, we rescheduled. You could tell that the audiologist was struggling with a sweet elderly patient. Plus I knew I'd be in that chair at least an hour and it was just too much. Came home and had a wonderful dinner that DD made, salmon and spinach. In my favorite chair and waiting on Game 2 of the Phillies vs Braves. Have a good one all.

• micmel
    edited October 2023

Enjoying all of the sports. That’s for sure. Sorry your lunch wasn't good Irish. Hope you enjoy your favorite chair…. 😄 looks like 4-0 so far Bottom of the 5th!

• irishlove

Darn it Braves just scored. Fingers crossed they get the next out.

• keris113
    keris113 Member Posts: 45

Good morning everyone! Hope everyone is doing well 🙂 Thinking of everyone getting scans done or struggling right now.

Got through COVID, which was a beast but glad it is over. Was able to get scans done and they showed areas of improvement or stability. Which I am happy about but still in a funk for whatever reason. I think I just want the cancer to be completely gone and know that probably wont happen and I am just already looking to the next scans and worrying about those, which I know that I shouldn't. My liver area (I am assuming its the liver) is still bothering me in the right side of my stomach and I was so overwhelmed during the visit that I forgot to mention it and feel like an idiot. I am seeing the NP this week though and will make sure to mention it then. Also saw on the visit note that the MO is not planning on doing repeat CT scans until March, which also has be concerned. Not that I want scans but also it seems far out. I really hate all of this.

Was able to enjoy some of this weekend though despite some crappy weather, got to see the niece and nephew and go apple picking.

• mara51506

Goldens, I am late to the party, in your pocket for scans and results.

Keris glad you got over Covid.

I am unsure about todays activities, would like to check mail or go to grocery store for more meat pies. Laundry underway. Accidentally over loaded my little dryer, had lint all over the place, was a mess yesterday but all good today. My dryer is different in that the lint filter is round. I put a couple of socks inside the plastic gard and it picks it all up, have a couple layers of paper lints guards at the back as well so luckily, that stayed in place. Today will not over load the laundry.

Breakfast was interesting but good, decided to open an old can of Campbells pepper steak and potatoes with other veggies. I was not sure I would like, took 1/4 cup of soup and 1/4 cup over cooked beans from microwave, I like them that way if not chopped. Sprayed pan with some canola spray and added all ingrediants including small sprinkle of wheat bran. Fried up a bit, added a few croutons, bacon bits and one hotdog. Parmesan cheese and ceasar dressing on top, mixed together with some salt, it tasted really good and will give options that I had not thought of before. I put rest of chunky soup in a container and considered it a success. More interesting than some of the stuff I eat, chunky soup is more interesting to eat and can do more with it. Microwaving the canned beans to make them explode is a preferable texture to me.

I think I may stay home, after the kefuffle with the dryer, I did not get to bed til 4 and only slept 5 hours, may just stay home, nothing I need that bad outside and possibly get some rest and do easy money making stuff.

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,528

Good afternoon ladies

Mell I hope you get to go to 75 or nothing soon. Theo is a scarey cute ghost.

mkestrel thanks for sharing the hike pictures.

kerris113 I’m glad you made it through covid and it’s over. Good scans are always encouraging. I hope you feel better soon.

heading home from NY visit with mom and I was able to drive over to Philly and spend a few days with my daughter. Phillies fans are serious we passed the stadium a few times. My sister GD and mom took the drive beautiful scenery. We went to longwood gardens in kennett square PA for 2 days stunning flowers and we were able to rent scooters for a donation so we stayed as long as we wanted.

• micmel
    edited October 2023

Tanya~ you were so close to me! I’ve been to Kennett square several times it’s lovely at longwood gardens! They have an amazing light show At Christmas. Good to hear from you and I hope you enjoyed your trip with your mother. Love the pics !

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,464

Beautiful photos! The hike, and family! 😍

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,528

Mel if I had any idea I would’ve messaged you so we could meet up. I’ll definitely come again. I imagine spring must be spectacular???

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 806

Tanya Glad you had a nice family visit great pictures! I love Longwood Gardens also they have beautiful displays for each season.

Heading to treatment today, in all pockets who need it, hugs❤️

• shanagirl
    shanagirl Member Posts: 419

Good morning all my lovely’s 🌞🌻. I’m so glad to be back home from our trip to Florida! We spent such quality time with our children, grandchildren, nieces & nephews, sons in law and of course, our precious great grandson, now 9 months. DH and I enjoyed ourselves so much. We all had such a wonderful time. I will post some pics later.

I’m sorry haven’t read anything here since last week, but will catch up today & tomorrow. Love. You all.🩵💙♥️💗