Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Comments

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,025

Hello ladies. Welcome back Shana!

Tanya~I would love to have that chance to meet you. I feel like I’ve known you for so long now it would make perfect sense. I hope next time we could make that happen. Spring is pretty amazing at longwood. But then again. Every season is pretty cool there. So nice that you were in pa!

• shanagirl
    shanagirl Member Posts: 419

All of the pictures are of my little sister,and her little daughter, Andi and my nieces & nephews and their daughters, in the Hibachi restaurant and mall, as well as my grandaughter and her baby son Jonathan, Great grandchild.

• shanagirl
    shanagirl Member Posts: 419

Me & DH,

My Little Sis Nikki and my daughter’s husband Steve

My 2 daughters, Jenna & Corinne with Nikki’s daughter, Andi, and my daughters with great grandson🥰

• micmel

Omg!!! What a beautiful family! Your little sis is lovely…..looks like a great time I’m so glad you spent time together. You and your DH are a great looking couple! The little baby boy!!!!!! I want to squeeze his cheeks! How absolutely adorable…. 😊great grandchild. So much love!!!

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,561

Shanagirl - Thanks for posting all of the lovely pictures of you and your family! You all look like a very happy and loving bunch! Nice to see you all having so many good times together.

• irishlove
    irishlove Member Posts: 562

@shanagirl Oh my goodness what a beautiful family. You and your DH, are too cute together. And that greatgrandbaby is adorable. I'm so glad you had a nice trip to FL. Family is what it's all about!!!

Watching the Phillies. I think they've got this one in the bag!!! 10-2 against Braves. What a game.

Saw GP today. He did an RX for this spinal burning pain of Gaba 100 mg. I take 300 mg at bedtime. Fingers crossed it works. I assume this is from cancer (in the base of the spine) that radiates burning pain down my butt and back of upper thigh?

Have we heard from @divinemrsm? In pockets for all in need.

• bellelove70
    bellelove70 Member Posts: 38

(LivingIVlife)

Shanagirl- beautiful pictures and beautiful family! It looks like you had a great time!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,464

@shanagirl -Great pictures, and such a gorgeous family! 😍

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 806

Shanagirl What a beautiful family you have , love the pictures. I bet you can't get enough of your grandson he is adorable! So glad you were able to sneak in a break from it all. It' a great way to "hit the reset button" and enjoy life!

Irish Wow that was a game we really dominated! The fans were electric and we need the same tonight, fingers crossed. Hoping the gabapentin gives you much needed relief.

• micmel

Great game! Let’s do it again!!!

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 711

Shana - what wonderful photos of your beautiful family🥰. Looks like many memories were made.

Still waiting on scan results🙄.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,166
    edited October 2023

Our hearts break over the loss of a fierce advocate, friend and MBC Thriver, Anne Loeser. She was author of "The Insider's Guide to Metastatic Breast Cancer" which she wrote after being misdiagnosed for four years. She was also the founder of the Patient Centered Dosing Initiative to help change maximum dosing to the most effective dosing. Anne was a supporter and friend of METAvivor Research and Support and will be forever missed. Fly high sweet Anne.

This was posted on Facebook from METAvivor. She was known on here by the screen name Bestbird.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,166

You can look at this Thread, started by Anne herself. I posted some more things I found on Facebook about her passing.

• micmel
    edited October 2023

This is awful!!! She was so wonderfully kind and smart. Losing someone is always so hard. I hope her family knows how loved she was and how she inspired so many people and helped them with such a diagnosis…. Just terrible this disease.

• threetree

So very, very sad. Anne's book is sitting right here on my dresser where it's been for months. I could never fathom being able to write a book and do all the things she did while stage 4. (I can barely get my shoes on some days.) She truly was/is an inspiration and huge help to anyone dealing with this terrible disease. I for one will always remember her and send my sincere sympathies and condolences to her family and friends. What a tragedy, what a loss.

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,390

Shanagirl, looks like a good visit with family, glad you had a nice time while traveling.

Mel, give Theo a hug for me.

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of Anne, she was around before I was givving us so much info, she helped me a lot personally back in the day and I offer my condolence to family and friends as well. She touched a lot of our lives.

Not sure what is for breakfast, might make some ramen, hard boil an egg and chop up 1/4 cup of beans with wheat bran, combine it together by frying the beans in butter in a pan with some garlic butter and also use the seasoning that comes with it. Should be a good meal.

Other than that, it is Thursday, I will find out if I am going out for groceries tonight. Will get changed anyway even if I don't. Laundry is being dried and also washed in my machines, watching commercials for money, after breakfast will take a break for PT and perhaps walk up and around the driveway here. Bored as heck even with the stuff I am up to, when the road is done, I will never take it for granted again.

I am also looking forward to trying out the show Frasier, the updated show. It looks like fun, that comes on sometime on Paramount plus streaming which I got to watch South Park.

I am in everyones pocket who needs me, I needed to be in my own yesterday after an unexplained depressive episode. I started the 4 7 8 breathing and that took care of most of it, feeling fine today though. Have a good day.

My Mom's birthday is Saturday so may plan to have a treat for dinner to celebrate. I have mostly stopped feeling super sad and just enjoyed the day as my own, the day the universe gave me her. It's been almost 5 years since she passed, hard to believe how long it has been.

• emac877
    emac877 Member Posts: 688

I love all the pictures! Shana, MKestrel, Tanya and Mae are so great about those. I've seen a lot of the western states but love seeing pictures from other places. I've never been East of the Rocky Mountains except for a conference in Boston a few years ago. Florida always sounds sunny and fun even though they get some crazy weather. Boston was amazing and I would love to go back as a tourist.

I see the MO today and may start the last of my four Taxol infusions after skipping last week. We'll see what he says. Labs looked pretty good. My potassium is still low and I am anemic but not critically so we'll see. I have a brain MRI coming up on Halloween (Ha! The trick is on me)🎃. I am anxious to see what it says after the SRS. My balance has been a little off but I don't notice any other major symptoms and I hope those suckers are gone. I saw the pulmonologist on Monday and my lymphangitic spread is still there but appears stable. I guess the big test will be whether is stays that way when I stop Taxol and am just on Piqray/Faslodex.

Not much else going here. If I am feeling okay after chemo the plan is to make some clam chowder and pick up some French bread to go with it. My mom is not feeling well so I'll take it over there for my folks to have an easy dinner and left overs. Hugs to Mara. I know one day I will lose my mom and I can't imagine. I'm glad you can celebrate your mom on Saturday. Wishing you all a good day💖

• micmel

Hugs to you Mara ~ my mom isn’t doing to well either. I can’t imagine

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,464
    edited October 2023

Chiming in, in case anyone is interested in participating in our 1 hour, 15min special Zoom meetup Tomorrow (Friday, Oct 13).

Register HERE if you would like to participate.

Honoring The Losses That Come With A Diagnosis of MBC

October 13th, is Metastatic Breast Cancer Awareness Day.

Join us for this unique one-time virtual zoom meetup facilitated by Kelly Grosklags. For nearly 25 years, Kelly Grosklags has dedicated her practice to minimizing suffering through her work in oncology, palliative care and hospice. An experienced therapist, Kelly is a licensed clinical social worker and a board-certified diplomat in clinical social work. She also earned a fellowship in grief counseling from the American Academy of Health Care Professionals. Kelly speaks frequently about end-of-life issues, including care, grief and loss, both in person and on her website, Conversations With Kelly. http://www.cwkonline.net Her passionate and supportive demeanor helps patients, caregivers and health professionals connect with the wisdom of making life more meaningful, coping with depression and anxiety, transforming fear into hope, healing versus curing, and the wisdom of dying a good death.

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,319

Shanagirl, lovely pictures of a lovely family!

There is no way I can back read and catch up after being MIA for 12 days, but I am back. The Alaskan cruise was amazing even with a tremendous storm that felt like we were on a speed boat jumping high in the water! But I did well. I didn't need any oxygen from the moment I arrived in Seattle until lift off to return home. It was a nice break and now I know I can travel more. I walked a lot and spent a lovely time with my DH, DS, and some dear friends. I am over-joyed. Now to rest…

• irishlove
    irishlove Member Posts: 562

In pockets for all my sweet friends and prayers for Anne's family. I also have her book by my bedside. She was a brilliant, sweet soul. Couldn't help but thinking about Pumpkin, too. sigh.

The gabapentin 100 helped to cut some of the burning pain. It's not perfect, but I'll take some relief. My mental health is improving, also. Recalling some posts saying it takes 6 months or so to accept this diagnosis and start living instead of constant worrying. Wishing that this disease becomes chronic and more than 5 per cent of donations going towards MBC research.

Here's to the PHILLIES, MOVING ON TO National League Championship series against Arizona Diamondbacks.

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,390

Thank you everybody for your comments about my Mom. The plus side is I said everything I felt I needed to say to her and my older DB was there with her so she was not alone. He's never spoken about it other than he told her she could rest, he held strong to his emotions around me and probably waited til he was alone with SIL but what he did was very brave and they looked after Mom right up to the end. I really don't feel sad at this point because she is at piece, not worrying or unable to breathe or whatever and is peaceful. That makes me happy. I'll probably hang on to the cake til Saturday and do another canned turkey and stuffing and watch TV.

I also wanted to mention, if there is anyone who watched Cheers and/or Frasier, Paramount + is streaming the new series. Frasier is older, moves back to Boston to teach and his sone lives with him. His nephew is there too. Fun show I think, worth a watch.

• sf-cakes
    sf-cakes Member Posts: 600

Thank you Candy, for posting about Anne. Her book helped calm me down when I was first diagnosed. May her soul be at peace.

I've been working on a post for MBC day tomorrow, that I may share with more family and friends. We'll see, I'm overall just exhausted and don't know if I want the attention. But also want to bring it to people's attention, you know?

• cookie54

May Anne rest in peace. What a lovely and brilliant woman surely leaving her legacy in the breast cancer world behind.

sf-cakes I feel the same as you with bringing it to people's attention. Many times I really feel like posting the facts and reality to friends and family about the underfunding for Stage IV. I've been soul searching trying to figure out does it make a difference ? Will my post really make them stop and think? Will they then donate to Metavivor or another credible group? Am I just waving from the middle of the lake treading water saying hey I'm still out here treading water. I truly believe as I finished my 1st year with MBC that most people are just busy living their lives and forget. Right now I seem and look "pretty healthy" to them and I know they love and care about me. Big sigh… I just don't know……

Mara We miss them dearly and carry them in our hearts forever. Glad you have peace, hugs.

On another note my Philly girls, how exciting was that game! Super nail bitter for sure but we got it done! I'm happy to celebrate and have something to cheer about.

• micmel

I feel the same way Candy. Because even if there is a room full of family, you’re still the one with the cancer. I’m frustrated too. Fighting to stay alive. Terrible side effects. I completely don’t think you’re a horrible person I think you’re human and want to be supported. Sending hugs to you.

phillies. Fantastic game. On to the next series. It was terrific to win at home with our fan base loud as ever. Go Phillies. Go Eagles 🦅

• cookie54

Candy I know you and all of us here are great people! As Mel said I guess somedays we just need or want validation. Although somedays I pep talk myself and say ya know what I am strong and I don't need recognition for fighting for my life! This is my personal battle and I'm the only one in the ring. Honesty I find that this disease as a whole is filled with peaks and valleys .A rollercoaster of emotions that nobody else can totally understand unless they are trudging through it personally.

• threetree

Mara - I can totally relate to the thing about your late mother. Mine has been gone for 15 years now, and I still miss her every day. The "big grief" of course had been over for awhile, but there are so many times I would just love to see her, sit and have a cup of coffee with her, etc. Just this morning I woke up thinking about her and how I would love to be 4 again, and take a walk with her to the mom and pop grocery we used to always walk to together back when I was that age. My older brother had started school and my younger sister wasn't here yet, so my mother and I had some of my favorite memory times then together, just the two of us. Her birthday was on Halloween, and I still celebrate by trying to make myself some kind of meal that she would have liked too, or that reminds me of her, etc. I also toast her with a bottle of hard cider. (She had grown up on the east coast where they had hard cider, but when she came out here to the west coast she learned it was unavailable and no one had ever heard of it. She would tell me about it when I was a child and when we would have "soft cider" for Halloween parties, etc. Well, later on hard cider became available here with all the microbrews that emerged and I would get some and take her a bottle on occasion. That's why I still celebrate her Halloween birthday with a hard cider toast.)

I've worked in social services with older people for years and one thing I have heard a lot from them is that you never, ever get over the loss of your parents - it always stays with you in some way. Sad but true, I am learning.

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,319

goldensrbest, lovely art work. And congratulations on being stable!