Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Comments

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723

Good morning, all, I know I'm going to miss a bunch of comments, but I did read them…

Sondra, i'm sorry you're going through a rough time.

mel, I'm glad Theo wasn't hurt. I hate how our pets can scare the cripe out of us sometimes!

I forget who posted about the lemonade with read lemons and real sugar. I've been drinking Gatorade - the real stuff. I feel like I need the calories and although the sugar probably isn't the best for me, oh well…

Trying to catch up after a weekend away. Need to go to the bank today and get some checks. Our bank was bought by another bank and although I rarely write checks, I need at least a routing number and account number so I can pay property taxes online. If I use a debit card, I get charged a % convenience fee. No thanks! (I did get a laugh at the DMV when the guy called it "an extortion fee." It was only a couple of dollars, so no big deal.)

Anyway, waving hi to all. You all are the best! Hope everyone has a decent (or better) day.

Carol

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 806

Mel Geez my heart would drop too! I hate when I read about lost pets on FB because yes they're our babies. Glad you were able to snatch him up. Great weekend to be a Philly fan, Eagles last night and hoping Phillies clinch tonight! Grease the poles lol!!

mara Hmm I'll have to try the salad spinner idea as I am a big salad eater.

mae Hope your feeling better will have to remember the lemon drink

Sunshine How's your swallowing been?

Hi to all here and in your pockets for all appointments this week❤️

• irishlove
    irishlove Member Posts: 562

Good evening all. Hope you are having a pain-free, lovely evening. I see that a huge snowstorm is coming measured in feet from northwest to plains states. Gosh it's early for that. What a cool down @shanagirl No wonder you can't get warm. @illimae Oh that MO is smart to prescribe natural remedies for flu bugs. Lemonade sounds good. @micmel Theo must have scared the daylights out of you, especially with the street and traffic close bye. @mara51506 Thank you for the good wishes. This b.c. business sucks. @mkestrel I love you pictures and stories. Keep 'em coming. In pockets for all that may need support.

Phillies lost this game, but hey we have another shot tomorrow night. Yes the Eagles beating Miami!

Nothing special going on here. But something is raiding my bird feeders. I filled two feeders yesterday and they are empty! Can't imagine what kinda critter? I do know we have black bears around here. That's the only critter I can come up with. Of course squirrels parading around as birds might be fattening up for winter, in Florida. lol

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,025

Irish ~it’s absolutely those squirrels! They are relentless…. I’d like to watch them.

Mara~ hello to you. Always cooking up something !

cookie~ hello there. The Phillies better get it together to loose to them after leading the series 2-0 would be embarrassing for sure. The eagles schedule is challenging the next 5 weeks. 2 times Dallas and the chiefs and 49 ers. I am hoping to see the team we saw against Miami! Kelly green jerseys and all.

mae ~ hope you’re feeling better

sunshine~ hope you got your checks!

love to all. Go Phillies !!! ⚾️

• sunshine99

So, after going into the bank and then going online, I found they wanted $32.00 for ONE book of checks! WHAT??? Not happening. I do have the bank's routing number and the checking account numbers so that I can use an e-check to pay our property taxes. I'll try to get DH to call the bank. He's an employee, so you'd think there would be some kind of discount. The woman at the bank did say that Costco was a good place to order checks, too.

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,390

Wow, 32 dollars for a book of checks, that's highway robbery. Hopefully Costco is less expensive or gives more checks in the book.

Hello Mel, yes, I enjoy making things. Ate up the last of the shredded salad with cabbage, beet, carrots and other veggies I did not recognized. Ate the rest with chopped beans, cheese and bran, handful of rotini pasta which I fried in the pan, added salt, salad on top, some croutons and caesar dressing. Overly full now but it was really good.

I am busy watching TV and playing a mobile game for cash. I have a fun game I play too.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,920

Bears here often eat from bird feeders. Squirrels too, of course although completely clean would steer me towards bears. It's expensive if it's ongoing. Our weather has been cool with rain expected on Friday. I'm going down to Oregon to see my son and we will drive back up for DH's birthday on Nov. 2. It seems like a long trip, but DD says I should take advantage of feeling up to it.

• cookie54

Mel Yes they better, why do these Philly teams stress me out lol. Fingers crossed for tonight!

Wren Have a safe and wonderful trip. Yes agree, take advantage of feeling good enough to travel.

Sunshine Um yea that's ridiculous , usually they will give you a couple for free.Plenty of other places to order that are way cheaper!

Irish Agree probably the pesky squirrels!

Not too much going on went to the dentist for a cleaning. They have a little laundry list of things I should get fixed/replaced , old fillings etc. Endless torture.. I told them I will prioritize the list. I used to love to get my teeth cleaned but seems as though my mouth is becoming more sensitive with Xeloda for sure! This month and next has been endless doctors visits the only good thing is I met my deductible for the year lol

Hi to all hope your having a decent day.

• irishlove
    irishlove Member Posts: 562

Good morning all you lovely folks. It's past my bedtime, but I'm still wide awake after the Phillies game. Guess we will be waiting till next season to see if they can shore up their bullpen. Disappointing game for sure. Gonna keep cheering the Eagles though, like Mel says.

In pockets for all those in need. Still waiting on Humana HMO Medicare Advantage approval for a MRI of the spine. Being cautious not to lift anything. Can't help wondering how Humana justifies the "Gold" part of this plan. I think it's more like fools gold.

Did anyone read the article in todays Washington Post on E.R. doctors and nurses, followed by a video. Something like 75% of doctors and nurses in E.R. have said they have been attacked (whether verbally, bitten, spit on, stabbed or beaten up). One doc said he has PTSD from his incident. They are req'd to take care of all that enter those doors. I know our local hospital has 3-5 security officers on duty everyday. I was in the medical field for years as a Lic. Optician/Manager and can still recall threats and even a sexual assault.

On a winter weather note, hope all in the path of the storm are safe and warm.

Laurel

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,665

Thanks for the well wishes all, slowly climbing out of the hole. Got two great nights of sleep and then now two (very) poor nights due to Im guessing the steroids (even though I take them in the morning) and this dumb head cold I picked up (not Covid!. But I got the first rads yesterday evening to the pelvis and it was really amazing how the walk back to the station was easier than the walk to the hospital, even though it was only about an hour apart. I even managed a stop at the tiny grocery store to get a few things, something I haven't felt up to in months! Have to head off for second treatment here in an hour, just wish these two weren't so close together.

The dexamethasone is giving face flush though, and Im not a fan.

• denny10
    denny10 Member Posts: 421

Sondraf, i am pleased to hear the rads helped so quickly.

I am over senstive to dex, steroid, I have a very low dose for 3 days after chemo and it messes with my ability to get/stay asleep. I also get the red face, it looks llike bad sunburn and can make the skin feel sore.

i don't post much ,but this band of stong people are in my thoughts every day. i hope treatments and scans go well.

• mara51506
    edited October 2023

Sunshine, I cannot wait until the road is done here so I can actually go out for necessities. I probably could walk it but enjoy the security of UBER for now. Paratransit will be awesome in the winter if the construction is done but nice to have UBER if the weather sucks. I saw one day showing snow.

I am going to take a beef soup, put the can in a container and feed it into meals with beans, cheese and rice fried with some eggs. Nice beef in there and can make different things. I am out of croutons but can use left over box stuffing for some crunch if needed. We will see. I can likely stretch the chunky soup meal which does have nice veggies over a few different meals. The giant swis chalet lasted over 5 meals.

Making some extra grocery money with tv that pays me to watch ads, mobile games that pay me for watching ads and surveys when I qualify. I am never going to make a million dollars but enough to bring some extra money in. I tell myself I am poor and that is a good motivator to stretch out the budget where I can. I can even stretch out the laundry by putting stuff in like towels and that before I have drained the first cycle, comes just as clean, saves on detergent.

Not doing anything outside today, just planning to exercise and do other activities, try out the soup idea and go from there. Also might want to try pancake garlic bread on t he side. Thinking tiny amount of pancake mix, don't need a huge one, more water to keep it thinner and serve alongside a beans/veg/egg fried with a couple spoons of the soup I have.

Hoping everyone has a good day and in pockets where needed. I will need pocket duty for tomorrow, getting brain MRI results to see if that was any issue with symptoms. I still will be surprised if that is the case. If it is the case, more exercise for more neural pathways to be built and go from there. I will also officially set up the will and POA. I did a will but we may want a new one. I am not nervous yet but that may change. Keep you posted.

Edited to add, I did open the Chunky vegetable beef soup, put in an airtight container but first put two large spoonfuls in my frypan, added some garlic and used the stovetop stuffing as quasi croutons, garlic and salt as well. Really just heating it through and it was quite good. Made a Walmart order to pick up things for today.

• micmel

Nice to see you Denny! Hugs to you. Hello Sondra. Hang in there sweetie, it’s all we can do.

Love and hugs to All.

so disappointed at the Phillies. How could they blow a two game lead. I felt the loss coming. I just knew it. Bummer

• mara51506

I also noticed when I picked up the groceries at the front door that the plastic tubing was removed from the street so we are closer to being done which should mean that paratransit should be able to get through or I can go for the regular bus, will check it out tomorrow I think. Either way sliced, it should allow me to go out for walks at the mall or pick up the odd grocery item sooner than I expected without huge hills to get up and down.

• sunshine99

mara, thinking of you and in your pocket for your MRI tomorrow.

I'm trying a new recipe for grain-free granola. DDIL has digestive issues (but not a whiner about it) so I wanted to try something for her. The Coscto stuff is good but expensive as is the stuff from Trader Joe's. I'm probably not saving a lot by making my own, but at least I can control what goes into it.

Waving hi to all my lovelies.

• cookie54

Mara Here for pocket duty tomorrow for MRI❤️

• micmel

Here for you Mara!

• mara51506
    edited October 2023

Thank you all for the pocket duty, it is appreciated. I am pulling for another explanation about what caused the symptoms since I can actually explain it all to myself. I don't believe I am doing worse but better when it comes to walking etc since I had PT and OT so if it is bad news, I know I can keep on doing things to slow down any decline. I also have only fallen 3 times in the last year, 2 last winter on ice and once when tripped over the step bench the cat moved out of place. Summer was heat stroke when I could not get out of the cab. Just going to hope for the best with preparing for the worst since it would not help to pretend it could not be a brain issue.

Cookie, glad you can find something to make for DDIL that she can eat, she would really appreciate it.

Mel, thank you too, I'll know later this afternoon.

Until I leave, I will be doing laundry, minor housework and PT, if it stops raining, I will go out early and see how flat the ground is now without the tube making the large hill that I was afraid of. If it looks fairly flat again, I will take the bus. If not, UBER is still an option. Going to do PT while TV is playing the ads for cash. I mute it. They are mostly cooking videos that play. I will do mobile games too.

Not sure what to have for breakfast. Something with eggs, I baked the Swiss Chalet beef pie yesterday I got from walmart so will have a few meals including that. I also have salad from a bag, storing it in the salad spinner in the fridge really does keep veggies and lettuce fresh and the stuffing mix really does make good croutons if I am out of it,

Hoping for everyone to have a really good day and in everyone's pocket, including my own.

Edited to add, road and driveway are flat, been raining so will still take an UBER to avoid getting muddy feet but still glad the progress is further along. If it dries up over the weekend, will see about taking a bus to the mall and calling for paratransit as well. Next app't will be in almost two weeks after today so road will be further along even.

• micmel

Theo is in for his surgery for being fixed today. So I’m without my little buddy. I’m missing him already, I will be sending good thoughts to you Mara. Everyone else as well. Hugs to all

• sunshine99

I'm sending out good thoughts to mara and Theo (and of course, Theo's mom!)

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,665

Sunshine, look up Minimalist Baker blog, she has some good grain free granola recipes I've made in the past that turned out well.

• mara51506

Well, baddish news from the brain scan. Good news is that nothing in the brain except the enhancement. Not so good news, I am bleeding in side of the left hand of head in dura so we are going to do a cat scan in a couple of weeks, need to go to emerg if anything changes. F*ck. Trying to stay calm as stress will not help. Just plug along, wait unntil my street is paved and keep exercising. I will say it was weird having older db there too. He has given a lot of rides but not any of my cancer. Appreciated him showing up.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,463

I'm sorry, @mara51506, that is such awful news to get. Fingers crossed for the news to be as good as possible when you get the CT scan in a couple of weeks.

What normally is helpful when you're trying to calm down/manage anxiety?

• micmel

Oh Mara~ I hope that it’s a minor amount and can be controlled somehow. You’re in my thoughts I’m sending love.

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 1,026

Mara,

Glad your brother was there to support you today. I don't quite understand the diagnosis but hope the cat scan will provide guidance on how best to treat this. Relax tonight-do your breathing, pet the cats and maybe you can find a good movie or show to watch to take your mind off things.

• sf-cakes
    sf-cakes Member Posts: 600

Mara, I'm so sorry this is happening. I'm assuming it's a small bleed, otherwise would think they'd want to treat it as soon as possible. Sending you love, agree with others encouraging you to snuggle with the cats.

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,319

@mara51506 Mara, so sorry for the news but am thankful you were not alone. I am sure it is difficult to accept. I will be praying for peace and that the CT scan results show a small cause and can offer some hope of a fix. You are in all of our thoughts and prayers.

• cookie54

Mara I'm sorry your dealing a brain bleed which sounds like a Subdural Hematoma. It stinks to have anything at all going on! The hopeful thing is that it's most likely not an active bleed or they would have had to take immediate action. In many cases a subdural will resolve on it's own without any intervention. Please just be careful walking outside with all the construction around you. I will add a special healing prayer for you in my daily prayers.

• emac877
    emac877 Member Posts: 688

Mara - I am sorry to hear about the bleed. I will be in your pocket for the CT that it shows the bleed to be stable.

SondraF - I am glad you got some relief from the rads.

Irishlove - I don't know how Humana justifies that delay either. That's maddening. I missed that article but I believe it. ER staff gets the brunt of it, they are truly front lines. I worked in critical care and can't count how many times I've been hit or had things thrown at me. Up there a lot of times it's family members that can escalate too. I miss my coworkers but not that part of the patient population.

Not a whole lot to add here. I had an appointment with my MO today and he brought up again stopping the Taxol. He feels the break would do my body good and also allow us to determine whether my breathing can stay stable on the Piqray alone. It's a little scary but I agreed so for the moment I am done with chemo! I have a brain MRI on 11/1 and a CT 11/20 so I think if anything is too amiss something will show up there. I got Faslodex/Xgeva today so I am not feeling great.

My condolences to the Phillies fans. I stay quiet about things because I am not a big sports fan but I do root for my hometown D-Backs so I was pleasantly surprised to see them going to the world series this year. I'm not a major sports fan but I do enjoy baseball.

• mkestrel
    mkestrel Member Posts: 180

Hugs to all. I would bring you one of the acorn squash I grew, just baked with brown sugar, butter and marshmallow.

I had all my shots yesterday, Faslodex in each butt cheek, goserelin in the belly, Xgeva in the arm. ANC 0.77 down from already low 0.9. I'm supposed to hold Verzenio until it gets back up. I had an especially hard reaction to the COVID shot last week with a big welt on my arm and chills, etc. A week later my arm still hurts. I think it's worth it because my friends who have had the latest COVID are sick for 3 weeks. Anyway, wondering if all that is what tanked my counts because I've been pretty stable on Verzenio 100. I saw a PubMed article about a small study done on cancer patients showing leukopenia after the COVID vaccine. I could be wrong but it really is odd to drop so much in a few weeks. Has this happened to anyone else? Anyway it should spring back. It doesn't take much to kick down dominoes...