Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Comments

• bellelove70
    bellelove70 Member Posts: 38

Mara- so glad to hear of your great news from the results of your test

Mae- wow! Seven years- congratulations!

Irishlove- do hope your husband feels better soon. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Sunshine- telling family about any progression is hard. Take time to enjoy Thanksgiving.

SondraF- I love Bath! I love the Cotswolds. My husband is from England and have been lucky enough to visit England a few times. Would love to go back and spend more time in the south west.

I am so behind on my Christmas decorations and buying stuff. Spent so much time on making wreaths etc. I'll be lucky if they go up lol

To all you amazing women I wish you a Thanksgiving filled with peace and great food.

Debbie

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 806

Hey lovely ladies since tomorrow will be a busy day I am sending wishes out now. May your day be surrounded by the people you love and your hearts and bellies be full,enjoy! Thankful, grateful and blessed for this group💓

• shanagirl
    shanagirl Member Posts: 419

Wishing you all a very nice say tomorrow with your loved ones ❤️. Have a wonderful day. HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

• irishlove
    irishlove Member Posts: 562

Waving hello to all. I'm sure everyone is getting ready for the big day tomorrow. I hope it's a blessed, beautiful Thanksgiving for you and your loved ones. Plan on watching Macy's Parade and The Dog Show. We will have ham for lunch and Turkey for dinner.

Saw neuro today. I'm not on any meds for MS as he feels Ibrance is good enough. I acclimated to Zoloft, happy to say, so no symptoms of depression lately.

Thank you all for your good wishes for DH. Saw him this evening. Drain still in and he has a ultrasound scheduled for late tonight.

Laurel

• sf-cakes
    sf-cakes Member Posts: 599

Going to be alone for Thanksgiving, first without my husband. Sending love to all, including anyone who will be alone for this family-oriented holiday. It's totally okay to eat pie and watch the dog show alone in your pajamas! 😄🥧🐕🐩

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,528

SF cakes Happy Thanksgiving. I know you’re missing your companion DH sending hugs.

Irish love I’m glad ibrance is enough and the Zoloft is helping the mood.

shanagirl Happy Thanksgiving 🍁

Cookie 54 Happy Thanksgiving 🦃

sunshine enjoy your family time. I pray your family will handle the news with grace so that you will enjoy the support. Happy Thanksgiving 🍽

Bellove70 happy Thanksgiving 🍁

Mae Happy Thanksgiving enjoy your husbands company and good cooking 🧑‍🍳

Mara enjoy you day.

Sondra F , Mel, Candy, Runor, and all who celebrate Happy Thanksgiving 🦃🍁🍽

Tanya

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,689

SFcakes, I’ll be in my pajamas too, lol

This is my favorite holiday, so much good food 😃

Wishing everyone a lovely day with as little stress as possible.

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,390

SF cakes, in your pocket for Thanksgiving with whatever you might want to eat.

I am planning to go out to the mall for a walk as the roadwork is complete, cars parked in yard now. Pretty cold, fleece order of the day I think with a vest. Snow coming up as well. Going to take the bus, next week, will be able to take Paratransit for Herceptin which is good, happy about that. Doing laundry now too, washer and electric dryer going same time.

I don't believe brother doing anything, SIL said he is working a lot. I will still be ready but not expecting to go and I really need to eat up all the cans of beans I have instead of buying more groceries anyway. Tons of rice, pasta, seasoning, cheese etc. Obviously I don't need to be taken shopping, need to do it myself. Am already tired of salad though will probably keep buying salad toppings, enjoying the beefless ground as well.

This morning, probably cook up hashbrowns and figure something with the eggs. Thinking of poaching first, chopping with beans and wheat bran after, put on plate with cheese on top and put lid on, 90 seconds again. I am getting tired of eggs but this would hide the taste of the eggs with beans and stuff and season. We'll see.

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,025

Happy Thanksgiving Ladies! I hope everyone enjoys time with those you love and I agree Mae. Yummy food. We aren’t having our dinner until Saturday. That way there is no conflict in seeing all the kids. I can’t have a holiday without my kids!!! They are my soul. Hugs to all. In your pocket Sf. Watch your favorite tv show and do some bingeing. I watched the new little mermaid yesterday, I enjoy Disney movies and realized yesterday we had the Disney channel. So I’m thrilled I’m watching Moana. Now. It’s adorable. Have a great day!

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723

Happy Thanksgiving to all who are celebrating - even if it's just in your pajamas! We're actually not doing anything special. We may even go to (don't judge) to IHOP. It's more about being together with hubby, dad and sister.

Was able to tell my dad yesterday. He did OK with the news. He asked a lot of questions, but I was able to answer them to his satisfaction. He said he appreciated my attitude. I think it helps that I don't "look" sick (what ever that means) and that he knows I am getting good care. We ordered pizza for dinner last night and he, my sister and I drank a bottle of wine.

He's busy packing for his move to Seattle but I think he enjoys having us around. Sister and I continue to chatter away pretty much nonstop. I think he's entertained by us.

Waving hi to all,

Carol

• bellelove70
    bellelove70 Member Posts: 38

SFcakes- I'm sitting along beside you with pajamas on and watching the dog show.

Sunshine- what a relief to have told your dad and were able to answer any questions. Nothing wrong with going out to eat! It's about the time you get to spend with family.

We are in Canada so have already had our Thanksgiving. Enjoy a stress free day wherever you live!

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,665

Have a great Thanksgiving ladies - we don't celebrate here as its too much work for the two of us, but we DO have the Packer game on, so its a little bit of home here. Ill make pumpkin pie (small ones) to go with Christmas instead.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,689

Turkey is baking and I’ll be prepping sides soon. DH made scones with dried cherries and clotted cream this morning, so yummy. Battling major heartburn but I’m trying not to let it ruin my turkey time.

I am thankful for many things, you all are definitely among them, have a great day!

• irishlove

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. SF, I wish your DH was sitting beside you today and everyday. We are sending all our love today and always. PJ's sound so comfy.

Well, the hospital left us bring DH home this afternoon. He still has his drain and bag. But they found no blockage, just the abscess. The mesh is ok after all. He was getting restless. Kids cooking up a storm. DD and DGD will decorate for Christmas. Boy am I blessed this year. Usually I do Cornish Game Hens for just the two of us and then spend two days decorating. I am so thankful for my children and their families. And I am so thankful for all of you, beside each other to love and guide and support one another. Much love to ya'll.

Laurel

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 711
    edited November 2023

Happy belated Thanksgiving to one and all, even those who already celebrated outside the US. Had a busy day, starting with picking DD and SIL up from airport at 8:30am and then heading to other DD and family to help with meal prep. I had already made mashed potatoes and cranberry chutney. Enjoyed a small family gathering. Visiting DD will help me put away my fall decor and put up the Christmas tree. I appreciate all the help. And then I want to do some online shopping! So many deals! Hope there’s plenty of leftovers for all to enjoy.

• shanagirl

it looks like everyone had a nice Thanksgiving whether with family or home in pajamas watching the dog show, it sound like the day was a peaceful day of relaxing. I, too, Enjoyed eating and laughing with family. DH and I prepared the turkey 🦃 and stuffing, “fried” corn 🌽,some appetizers, DD & SIL, oldest DD & DS brought the sides & Pumpkin pie 🥧. I and the pugs were wiped out, and went upstairs to stretch out and watch TV, while DH & DS cleaned up downstairs. 😊

• irishlove

Waving hi to all. In pockets for all your needs.

DH's home nurse did not show up to clean his drain and bag. They use a syringe and we thought we could do it but dr. said we need a nurse. Well, we called hospital and Humana, Urgent Care, Home Medics and not one person could help us out. His drain and bag require daily maintainence. So he will have to go the hospital early tomorrow morning. I think I heard him say something about putting the bill where the sun don't shine. As I said, he is a bit grumpy and can't say as I blame him. He has the orders and supposedly hospital contacted the service and no one shows . This leaves him open to more infection.

My colitis is really acting up. I've got to get serious on dietary changes and removal of stress from my life. Yeah, that's an impossible wish. Spoke with DB and he said SIL is doing good with liver transplant, but the kidneys did not recover, so she is in dialysis 3 days a week and on a transplant list. sigh….

We all need humor in our lives so I watched National Lampoons Christmas Vacation. It really does make me laugh every year. Hope you all find some humor in the day.

• bonita.puercita
    bonita.puercita Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2023

My wife died of cancer on July 20th, 2023, after 6403 days together. We loved each other from the depths of our souls. The worst we ever were with each other was slightly annoyed, and that very rarely. We never fought. We frequently told each other we were the best wife/husband in the world and we believed, I think, we may just have been right.

My wife told me that after she died, she wanted me to retire, to travel and probably to remarry. I agreed with her, but gave her (since I studied religion) my own take, which was both very serious and completely whimsical.

If I did marry, I told her, then I instantly would become two people. Because the person she was talking to would always be with her forever. That couldn't possibly change. So there would have to be a second person who got married and would have a life with someone else. We both thought this was a good solution. (We also both practiced believing in belief; the idea that you ought to believe what you want to believe, and by believing it, you would make it true for you.)

(Edit) I'm revising my belief. I became two people on July 20th, when Susan died. So she was never, and will never have to be, alone for a moment, and I was never a moment without her.

Would trying to believe something like this help you? It certainly helped me, though I'm not sure Susan needed any help. I know I will always be with my angel, even if I remarry.

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,390

Hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving and reletively peaceful black Friday if you partook.

I am waiting for my egg mcmuffins and hash browns, got a craving for McDonalds, on its way now, had a credit so was a little cheaper. In process of laundry as well. Other than that , looking to take window AC out of the window then will need to ask property manager to put a screen in since it has always been broken, I could not get it in. AC should be easy enough to take out, save DB from coming to take out as he is super busy at work.

Nice sunny day and I slept almost 10 hours so a walk outside is not out of the question, no excuses now, everything is done road and sidewalk wise.

Hoping everyone has a good day and in pockets for everyone who needs them.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723

Oh, irish, that totally sucks! SERIOUSLY??? “Someone” needs to do something NOW!!! I’m so sorry your colitis is acting up. It’s no wonder, though, with all the stress that’s being piled onto you and DH right now. I’m glad you got to watch a funny, familiar movie last night. Those always seem to help. (((Hugs))) to you, my friend!

Bonitia, thank you for sharing your story. I dread the day I leave my husband. I’m glad she will be foever with you.

Mara, we’ll be hitting Trader Joe’s later today. I have a craving for eggs and hashbrown patties. I actually think I’m sick and have no appetite, but I still want those. “No appetite” is rarely an issue for me, just so you know. Haha Congrats on the 10 hours of sleep. That sounds wonderful.

Waving “hi” to anyone hanging out in the Living Room.

Love to all,

Carol

• emac877
    emac877 Member Posts: 688

Happy belated Thanksgiving to all who celebrated! It was a little different for us this year with mom recovering from surgery and I am still having vomiting issues and lack of appetite. It was just my parents and brother this year. We made it simple with a Costco chicken instead of turkey and microwave mashed potatoes. My brother made the stuffing and we had premade rolls. It was all very good and low stress. Mom is recovering and sassy as ever. My dad is struggling more with cognitive issues. He always makes the stuffing and couldn't do it this year so he supervised and my brother did a great job. Mom and I did cranberry sauce. He and I are having to go over there and help more and more. It's not yet at a point where they are unsafe to be there by themselves but I do see that coming at some point. Found them some sheets from Macy's on a black Friday deal so that was cool. I haven't yet dragged that Christmas tree out but yesterday I got fluids and feel better today also so today will be the day the boxes come out even if it doesn't get put up until tomorrow.😀🎄

Irish - gosh, I would worry about that lack of consistency. It doesn't seem right that they can't show you how to drain it if no one shows up. It shouldn't come to that at all but in a situation like that they should provide that education. How infuriating. I am angry on your behalf! That's just negligent on their part.

• shanagirl
    edited November 2023

@bonita.puercita Hi, welcome. I,m so sorry for the recent loss of your wife during the summer, though I am sad you have to be here. You have found an excellent place at share your feeling about this terrible diagnosis. We all are going through the struggles of Metastatic Breast cancer, and what we go thru and what our loved ones go thru with us. On this forum we talk everything and how we take each day with our loved ones and how we get thru a lot with our husband’s loving support. I could never go through it without my husband. It is our faith and our beliefs that help us fo through this. We get our strength through our faith in what we believe. So, again welcome. l’m so sorry about the recent loss of your wife and all the ladies here on this forum are so awesome and caring about each other . ♥️

• irishlove

Hi everyone. To @bonita.puercita I am so terribly sorry for the passing of your dear wife. It's been said that our loved ones are truly still with us everyday. You two had a lovely life and I hope the memories carry you forward.

Thanks everyone for concerns of DH. We are angry for sure. DH went to ER this morning at 3 a.m. His drain is suppose to be flushed twice a day with a needless syringe. The ER doc was kind enough to give him a weeks supply of needless syringes. DH did the cleaning himself so I'm not sure how exactly it worked but I do know he still has his drain tube and a bag and the abscess is still draining. Shame on the Home health program is all I can say.

DS and his wife left to head back to Charlotte. Terrible traffic again. It was so lovely to have them here. DGD was and is still coughing, so they couldn't go out and about to the boardwalk. I gave her an early present, National Lampoons Christmas Vacation board game. 4 of us played and that little stinker won! Love leftovers, easy day.

Just wanted to mention Zofran usually stops my nausea. Maybe it would work if you are vommiting if you can get the Zofran down. I don't know if it would work as a suppository or not, but worth looking into. May each of you that are having difficulties have a better, peaceful and pain-free day.

Laurel

• micmel

Bonita~ty for sharing. A love like that needs to be honored , I am very sorry for your loss. Please know that we care deeply and understand all it takes to be a caregiver. Nothing is easy dealing with this. I hope you feel her with you. I wish you nothing but peace. If you need a sounding board we are here for you. Hugs and peace.

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 806

@bonita.puercita That is a beautiful love story that is so rare in life. I'm so sorry for the heartbreak and loss of your wife.

Irirsh I'm sorry for all you and DH have been enduring lately. I pray things start to change soon. Sending strength and prayers.

Mara Wow almost 10 hours , good for you! Nothing like catching up on sleep hope you got a nice walk in.

emac Sounds like it was a great team effort for a lovely Thanksgiving, glad to hear.

My daughter stayed the weekend and we got some shopping time in together. So nice to have her back living in NJ again. We all had a nice family holiday and weekend, so grateful.

Hi to all here, hope you all had a nice weekend. In the pockets for everyone who needs it.

• irishlove

All you lovelies, hope it's been a fine day and tomorrow is a better one. In pockets for all your needs. Thank you all for concerns with DH and his drain/bag. He's doing it himself. Seems like he has some more energy as he walked for 3/4 hr. outside today.

Tuesday is Petscan. I cross posted some questions as for the love of day, I can't remember how long it took, did I need anti-anxiety meds for claustrophobia or not, colitis is acting up so I guess just fluids tomorrow and wear a diaper? Geez the inhumanities of it all. I just can't recall, courtesy of brain fog.

Another question I asked in bone met thread, if they scan from chin down, I assume it will not pick up the cancer in the occipital bone? I know MO said it was "old" but…….like to know if it's stable or hopefully resolving. I think the lungs will show stability or resolve, but these bones, especially base of spine making sitting painful ouch..

The kids got a real tree and it's lovely to have the smell once again permeating my senses. Nothing like a real Christmas Pine Tree. Decided to postpone trip to PA as neither one of us is healthy enough to make it to see my family.

• gailmary
    gailmary Member Posts: 494

Irishlove.

I don't usually have pet scans. I get a ct of torso and full body bone scan every 6 months or more. They scan both sides of the skull too! 25 minutes up to an hour. Pet scan takes a while too as I recall.

I think it's best to be prepared. Sounds like you would benefit from something for anxiety. And the diaper to be safe is a great idea.

I wouldn't expect with a pet scan that they would only scan a suspicious area or two. Too often cancer is found with no symptoms. Though I believe they do specific areas with mri.

Peace.

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,319

Irishlove, I have had many PET scans. They take you back and infuse the radioactive solution into your arm (or port if you have one) which only takes a minute. Then you sit for one hour while it circulates. The actual scan only takes an additional 20 minutes while you just lay there, then you are done. You can eat and do anything you usually do once it is finished. Make sure you do the prep correctly, no carbs, no exercise, no sugars, etc. the day before. I have found it to be an easy procedure. The machine is a donut so it is not so enclosed, but if that bothers you, take something. You can wear a diaper under your own clothes as long as there are no buttons or zippers, etc. I wear a sports bra, pull on pants and a 3/4 sleeved T shirt so I don't even need to use a gown. I also wear socks lol It all depends on the scan order. I usually get a scan from the base of the skull to mid-thigh and it catches everything I need. Good luck!

• keris113
    keris113 Member Posts: 45

Hi everyone, hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving! Was busy with my family and didn't get a chance to pop on. I hope you are all well.

• micmel

Keris~I agree it was busy. I had a nice thanksgiving on Saturday . We celebrate every year on the Saturday after. Assures us that we can have everyone available, and my kids spend Thursday with their father’s side . I don’t mind because I get Christmas morning! 🎅🏻 it’s always so much fun. I’m thankful for my family. And for all of you. The support is irreplaceable. Thank you. Hugs and pocket duty for all!