Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Comments

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,390
    edited December 2023

Emac, I am sorry about the nausea and vomiting you have, wish MO could fix that for you. I am glad you spent time with family though and bed seems like the right place to be. In your pocket send healing vibes and link to this video I've included this that I used to use when feeling that way, not sure if you've tried them but it seemed to make me feel better anyway.

• mara51506

Well, feeling good today, LONG sleep last night plus DB dropping off some cookies and huge box of Ferrero Rochet Hazelnut and chocolate will be enjoyed. I decided that when those intrusive thoughts that make me sad come around, think the opposite thought or just sing a silly song in my head, the songs are mostly from the South Park concert I watched on youtube and enjoyable to me.

Today is Boxing Day, another holiday so probably staying home and doing stuff here. I have not even started chores, busy putting paper flyers from the mailbox in the hall in a recycle bag. Had decided instead of being pissy about it, just take them out myself, really not a big deal to do, leads to less annoyance.

Will be trying out canned lentils, not sure what I would combine with yet so big mystery, we will see. Looking up foods to combine. Quinoa is easy. Might just try putting a bit of the lentils on the english muffin, cover with shred cheese and see how it turns out.

In everyone's pocket and hope all have a good day.

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,319

Mara, glad you are having a good day and your DB brought over nice treats. Thanks for the video. We are in the middle of a blizzard here in Colorado…Brrr… But my DD got home safely from work this morning so all is good. God bless our nurses. We will just hunker down and stay cozy.

I taught my DD how to bake a turkey yesterday and it turned out yummy although a little overcooked but that wasn't her fault. I will just shred it for leftovers.

Stay safe dear friends. Thinking of everyone this morning as we navigate through our trials.

• mara51506

I must say, the english muffins with garlic, lentils and shredded cheese, cooked for 10 mins were so yummy. I really like the lentils since I feel no need to chop Black beans have a texture I do not enjoy which results in the chopping, these lentils do not so planning to use both I think.

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,664

We had a low key Christmas and although I was too tired to get everything cooked that I wanted, I was still thankful I planned an easy day/menu and a dinner that husband could do. Still recovering from this last head cold which was either a) new or b) the same one from before, but almost done I think. That plus the travel last week really wore me out I guess, and I haven't been eating much either. At least this week its totally fine to rest when needed and wear soft pants!

Hope everyone is otherwise having a relatively calm and enjoyable holiday period!

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,025

Our thread was number one again third year in a row! I love you ladies. Let’s keep the family going ! Support from the room makes me happy daily. Seeing all you and knowing you’re all there knowing how I feel walking this with me. Thank you for letting me into your lives. I fully feel honored to be a part of your lives. Even if we can’t be together in the living room .

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 710

Finally went to urgent care for this damn respiratory thing that has plagued me for 11 days without improvement. Fortunately no evidence of pneumonia - just good ol’ bronchitis. Doc felt antibiotic was appropriate, as well as a steroid dose pack to help with inflammation. Also renewed Rx for inhaler. This crap is running rampant here. I was surprised at how quickly I was able to get in and out of urgent care. I was sure with everything closed yesterday that it would have been packed. Something tells me I was just lucky I went early enough in the morning. If any one is bogged down with this, I hope it passes quickly and if you haven’t caught it, I hope it passes you by.
    Happy Anniversary Mae!

• sf-cakes
    sf-cakes Member Posts: 599

Belated Christmas happy wishes to all who celebrate, I'm super grateful I was able to spend it with my Mum. She and I ate mostly pastries, drank chai lattes, and did a little bit of shopping at a delightful store that sells clothing and goodies from Ireland. Came home a day early because a storm with strong winds is blowing in later tonight, and my Mum didn't want a tree to fall over on me while driving back home (nor do I) the five hours from her little town.

Sending love and praying for peaceful days for all of us.

• irishlove
    irishlove Member Posts: 562
    edited December 2023

@micmel Ah, what a beautiful tribute you've made to all of us. I'm blessed to have all of you in my life. No wonder this thread is number 1. It's a tough road, and we sure are supportive, informative, kind and loving to each other and to family members. Thanks Mel.

Waving hi to all on this day after Christmas. I see the Plains states plus Colorado has/had quite a bit of wintry weather. Good to see folks home safe and sound. We've had dreary drizzle yesterday and today. Bit of cheer though, the holly berry tree in our neighbors yard was filled with robins. My crepe myrtle had a number of different birds visiting (chickadees, cardinals, carolina wrens, blue jays, red- headed woodpeckers and squirrels-lol). I doubled up on bird feeders, put out nuts and fresh water for our visitors. We now have 5 raccoons coming to dinner. They had a Christmas extra treat of apples and cat food.

Today is day 7 of sinus infection/cold/crud for me and day 10 for DH. We are both on amoxicillan. I started 2 days ago, he started 6 days ago. Zero improvement. I also have a very sore mouth in the area of the root canal. Hoping antibiotics clear both up and soon. The DGD came home from school with this respiratory stuff. Her Mother uses natural OTC meds to treat her. They seldom if ever go to the doctor.

Hoping all in need feel much better soon and in your pockets for all your needs.

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 806

Morning Hope everyone enjoyed their holiday in whichever way found you comfort and peace. Sometimes even just watching your favorite holiday movie with a blanket and hot chocolate is all you need.

Sorry to hear about everyone who is under the weather with these lingering colds etc. I know my hubby is just feeling better now from his respiratory infection after 2 plus weeks. Hope you all are on the mend soon!

Mel How's your mouth? Definitely so grateful to have found a home on this thread! One very special group for sure💓

Emac Was thinking of you lately, hope you found a remedy that helps your nausea.

Mae Happy belated Anniversary, sounded like the perfect celebration!

Amel-83 Hi there your kitty is gorgeous!! Also love the reindeer, how creative.

Still think of dodgersgirl she was really having some rough times…big sigh….

Not sure what's on the agenda today besides going for my thyroid labs. More labs on Friday for Mo we are still trying to figure out what's causing this sudden hemolytic anemia. Doesn't seem like my treatment is the likely cause…who knows…always something. Blessed that so far I don't have any new symptoms!

Well stay warm and safe to the ladies dealing with the wintery weather. Hi to all here and if I missed you know I always pray for the whole group daily😊

• bellelove70
    bellelove70 Member Posts: 38

My regal Belle! Also waiting by Josh . Josh would take a few bites bend over to kiss Belle and Belle would lick the food off his mouth! Was funny for a couple of times then put an end to it. Does anyone else use the Christmas crackers where you pull each end and it pops open with a hat, jokes and small gift inside? None of our neighbors had heard of them before but we had them every Christmas!

Hope everyone dealing with colds, flu, bronchitis and nausea will feel better soon. I am dealing with massive fatigue after the busy days so just want to curl up on the couch with heating pad and warm blanket.

Hello to all.

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,664
    edited December 2023

Goldens, did I read back a few pages you were vomiting with the force of coughing as well? I didn't get bronchitis but I did get sinusitis and I've never experienced as much mucus as with this illness. Covid tests were all negative but I do wonder. Pretty sure I picked up the initial infection at the hospital tho.

We found a fab saline nose spray in France and an even better decongestant version of the same brand here in the UK. Like putting rocket fuel up your nose!

Big storm moved in here, but hubs is at the game tonight so just me ans the cats. I went through drawers and medicine cabinets today and that felt productive. Have to run to hospital tomorrow to pick up drugs they owe me, so it seemed a good time to round up drugs to return.

Lets see if I can attach some fotos from our trip...

• micmel

Just beautiful! I’d love to travel there ! Thanks for sharing. Hope everything went good. Hope everyone had a great Christmas! It goes so fast

• micmel

I’m waking up early today for some reason. I have. My xgeva shot at 10:00 am this morning and I hate it. It’s not that far it’s just another freaking doctors appointment to go to. I’d rather just stay home and work on rinsing my mouth and trying to make this work. My good friend is in the hospital with an infection in her kidney again! Her young daughter is also in the hospital with a Terrible flu. Keep those hands washed ladies ! Hope you all have a good day today. I can’t believe Christmas is. Over

• goldensrbest

Sondra - never had vomiting with coughing although there have been times it’s made me wretch. Thank you for thinking of me. This seems to be a vile bug going around here. Folks think they’ve recovered and boom, symptoms flare up again.
    While I love church at Christmas, we have avoided it for a while. Everyone jammed together. No thanks. Stream the service instead. Heading to the airport in a bit to pick up oldest daughter and SIL. Be well all - lots of handwashing!

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,689

Beautiful scenery Sondra

• shanagirl
    shanagirl Member Posts: 419

reading quickly through all of your posts dear ones. Very saddened to hear about sweet Daisy. I know th pain of losing a beloved dog who’s been part of the family. My deepest condolences to @cookie54 . Also @micmel Im so grateful I can come here to the living room to just be….. Wishing you all a wonderful rest of the Holiday. We spent Christmas Eve at my dSIL restaurant, and the following day dinner at my house. DD made delicious short ribs, I made the mashed potatoes and. Creamed spinach, DH made appetizers. & salad & brownies, and SIL made the drinks😉🎄

• goldensrbest

Beautiful photo Shanagirl!

• mara51506

Sondra F, beautiful pictures.

Shanagirl, glad you enjoyed your Christmas and the photo is lovely.

I had lentils with cheese, microwaved and added some chopped croutons and caesar dressing. It was very good.

Going for a mall walk tonight with DB and then picking up a couple of things at the grocery store. Making a list and strict budget for groceries next going forward. Luckily lentils and quinoa will stretch, at dinner planning lentils and cooked quinoa with a spoonful of peanut butter.

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,319

sondraf and shanagirl, great pics. I love to see a visual with all our posts!

We are surrounded with snow still and it is staying too cool to melt, but it is manageable. The roads are clear anyways.

• irishlove
    irishlove Member Posts: 562

Another rainy day here. Temp about to plummet down to the low 30's Sat. and Sun. night/early morning. We usually cover the plants at that temp. When it drops below, we bring in potted plants and cover what we can.

Waving hi to everyone. Shanagirl that is such a lovely picture of you and your DH. The scenery pictures were beautiful. Micmel, sorry you have to go out for that darn shot. Mara, those meals sound healthy and delicious. Hopeful all of you are having a peaceful day and always in your pocket.

Silly Advent just called me to cancel brain MRI for Jan. 5th. They are making the appt. for another facility at much later date (1/16). Not happy with them. Some excuse about not accepting my insurance. B.S. I've been a patient of theirs twice since they opened in August and DH just had surgery and hospitalized for infection. I did ask for a cancellation appt., but they told me I have to call and check now and then. I think I'll start calling two or three times a day. Still have the crud and mouth is having trouble healing from root canal 9 days ago (sore on the roof near the tooth). I'm on strong antibiotics, so hope it will clear crud and mouth and maybe, prevent another UTI.

Anyone on Humana Medicare Advantage HMO? Just found out I had a $175 credit that had to be used before end of year with there Carewell Pharmacy. Didn't know anything about it till DH discovered his. So we ordered all kinds of OTC products and a new shower/bath chair with handle bars and a back.

• mara51506

Wow, panting while trying to get garbage out, two garbage bags but I initially rolled them down the steps inside and outside, went back to get my cane, still panting, neighbours came in at same time, one of them a man. He smiled at my red face, he asked if I was hot, I told him was having a hard time getting the garbage out. He just walked away after telling me to be careful. If I saw someone struggling, I would do my best to help out. I was able to get them out with great difficulty finally and walked back to my place. I just wish people would be observant and take a second to help. Rant over.

• illimae

@irishlove I have a United Advantage plan that comes with a $40 per quarter OTC plan. I didn’t know about at first either but I’ve been able to stock up on lots of 1st aid, cold/flu and vitamins too. I like having a stockpile of those items, just in case.

• mara51506

Feeling better after walk around mall with DB and SIL and shop at Walmart. Forgot eggs but that is OK, still got enough to add one to a meal here and there, more lentils, peanut butter and they gave me cat food their cats did not like.

I decided I really need to get serious about exercising arms, no way two bags of garbage should have been an issue. I was also breathing hard at the mall, they kept asking if I was all right and I kept us going, we stopped at the food court for a water and seat break. Was a good walk and evening.

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,528

Good morning

beautiful pictures Shanagirl.

irishlove I hope your MRI appt soon. Hopefully a cancellation will get you in.

Irish and Mae I like the way that credit sounds at the end of the year. I had no idea but I do t think I have an advantage plan.

Mel sorry your mouth has been sore for ages. Your Chevy is for bones correct? Is it an infusion or needle? I have to get my faslodex injection next week. Hang in there.

Sondra f the pictures are like advertisement. Beautiful sites.

intolight I hope you shovel out easy. It’s always such a magnificent sight and then…

Goldens lots of handwashing indeed. I think people have slacked off masks and handwashing. Did anyone get the vaccine for rsv? That may be in my near future.

cookie I hope your labs for thyroid are easy today. Pocket duty if you need it. I’ll bring peanut M&M’s.

believe your picture tells a story that I’m sure warms your heart. Thanks for sharing Josh and Belle.

sFcakes I’m glad you were able to make that drive and enjoy chai lattes with mom.

Emac sorry to hear you’re still having the se’s. Hopefully you’ll have a break soon.

Waving hello to All those I didn’t mention. Thanks for keeping the living room open over the holidays and storms Mel. There’s a reason your living room has the most posts. You do a great job.

Tanya

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,528

Mara I know you will exercise your arms. I was thinking of getting some light weights for when I’m sitting and reading watching tv etc. it would’ve also been kind and chivalrous to help you with the garbage.

Tanya

• micmel

Tanya~it’s a shot luckily because I’m done with infusions. I honestly don’t know how I got through the heavy chemo I’ve done. I’m just over it!! Still makes me sick for a day and a half . I take Claritin it helps.

emac~hope those side effects are calming down.

mara~I don’t enjoy walking far. My feet have neuropathy and my spine/back are where my Mets are. I don’t have many at all, but the ones I do have are in my spine base. Effects my walking and back strength. It so tiny you can’t measure them. But…. The damage is done and there is no coming back from that. So I envy your drive to consistently walk.

Mae~Hope you’re doing good!

irish~hope you’ll have a nice weekend for the holiday. I hope we can all relax a little!

I get a little humdrum this time of year All the hoopla and preparation is done. January sucks I dont like the cold. Gets dark early No holidays or things to take my mind off daily numbing thoughts of cancer. Having something to do helps But the tree has to come down now I don’t enjoy that at all. At least we have no lights to take down!

hope everyone has a safe and happy New Year’s Eve and day!

• illimae

Got such a fright last night. I was simmering chicken for tacos and heard loud scratching outside the front door. My first thought the Salems lot when the vampire tried to get into the kid’s window, know that wasn’t it, I thought maybe a bear cub. DH wasn’t home yet, so I grabbed my phone and a flashlight (no porch light yet), walked to the door, locked it and found this guy. Lol, what a relief. DH named him George Cooney.

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 806

Hahahaha look at George Cooney he was just as startled as you! Glad it wasn't a bear cub..yikes!

Hey Tanya So good to see ya! Thanks for the peanuts M&m's definitely one of my favorites.

Mara Glad you enjoyed your outing last night. You're always working on stamina which is great, very admirable.

irish Ugh so annoying when the office starts changing appointments .They have no idea what that does to us mentally! Fingers crossed something opens up sooner. Hope that crud is gone in the new year.

Shanagirl Beautiful pic of you and your hubby. Glad you were able to enjoy the holiday.

Sondra Wonderful pictures, looks like a great trip!

Bellelove Adorable Belle and Josh , love that you captured the moment. Dogs are so darn smart …aren't they lol. Never familiar with the crakers but seems like a cute idea.

Was a beautiful day here , finally some sun and 50's! I got out for my "mental health walk" felt good to see the sun. No big plans so far for NYE, which is fine with me. Had many years of fun parties with the kids.

Hi to all and have a restful evening.

• micmel

Shana~love the pic of you and DH. Makes me smile. Thanks for sharing.