Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Comments

• irishlove
    irishlove Member Posts: 562

Waving hello to all. Hope you all are doing as good as can be. It's 43 right now, dropping down into the 30's. I have got to try to get dear Booty in the door. She may be persian, but she's an old cat and I worry about her. Cranked the heat up to 73. I hate to do that because it dries us out so much, but my bedroom is the other side of the house from the heater and the bed near the window. Fed the birds and squirrels heavily. Bought the potted orchids and clover in. We don't know how to act around here when it gets cold. Did want to mention we are expecting a massive number of manatees in the spring this weekend (Blue Springs). They come in where the spring stays in the low 70's, whenever the temps. drop quite low.

@illimae Oh what a cute looking George Clooney. lol. @micmel January is a gloomy month for sure. I do have a birthday this coming month but really do not feel like celebrating. Maybe we will go out for dinner, or better yet have Outback delivered.

Thanks everyone for the good wishes to get better. DH sounds just as bed, I'm a little better. Yes, those cancellations for tests really upset me. I called again to see what was available, and nothing till end of January. I'll stick with Jan. 16th. Hopefully we will have our new MO in Jan.

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,319

Irishlove, glad you are getting a little better, but I will continue to pray for your DH.

Coming down with a cold myself… my first one in a long time. I am praying it won't be too bad. We can't figure out where it came from as I have been so careful and have stayed in. Usually I catch it from my family but they are all well. I did go to my PT appointment today but I was starting to feel "gunky" yesterday and it is too quick, so that isn't it. My DH and I did enjoy a good lunch out and hit Sams for a big shopping before I started to feel too bad. I will wear a mask at home to try to keep the family safe if possible. My DD and DGD will stay downstairs as much as possible too. This is not how I wanted to start the new year! I have an infusion scheduled for the 5th and a scan for the 16th so hopefully there is enough time to get better enough to manage. A lot of times I skip my Verzenio when I am sick but I am a little afraid this time as I had slight progression for my last scans.

It has stayed cold here. We still have snow on the ground (but not the roads) with the low in the 20s and highs in the high 40s. That is typical weather for the Rockies this time of year although usually the snow melts by the next day or so. I am getting used to it again after our eight-year stay in San Diego. It is beautiful but keeps me inside.

I pray everyone here has a good New Year and that 2024 brings you joy.

• shanagirl
    shanagirl Member Posts: 419

Good Morning Lovlies. Reading everything this morning with my coffee. Sorry for not posting and acknowledging each comment. I’ve been spending each day finishing up a painting that I want to give as a gift to a friend. She lost her BullMastiff and I’m doing a portrait of her, sweet “Biggs”. I keep going back to it in between feeling well, and holiday busyness, and sometimes I have to just walk away from it until I can look at it again with fresh eyes, and continue on. Never ever give up on a painting. And this one is for a friend.so I’m almost finished with it other than all the little tiny details that are so time consuming and hard on my back and stamina…….love you all enjoy your day.♥️🥰

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,390

Tanya, if I am honest, been doing a lot of sitting doing my money making and game playing along with youtube. I am working at breaking it up more, got most of my leg PT done, did bridge pose in bed, functions as a squat for me, need to use step bench I always have out and practice on it a bit and did a few things with ankles. I do have light weights to use for certain exercises as well. May take bus to grocery store to pick up eggs, forgot them on Thursday and I have been so enamored of lentils as of late, did not even think of them. It is sunny and would enjoy the walk to the bus stop and free trip.

Next week after holiday, I will need to go downtown to exchange my unused bus tickets as I have no change and paratransit only accepts bus tickets. Have an appoint for MRI 730 am the week after next yuck for the time but also have herceptin later on the same day. Might go to McD for breakfast as it makes no sense to come home. Can get my egg mcmuffin.

Planning a lentil sort of vibe but might add some quinoa to the mix as well, not too much of each as I am a lover of adding stuff to them like croutons, salad dressing, cheese etc. Luckily, both are good in the calorie and nutrition profiles, likely do quinoa first then get the lentils. Not sure on how to season, yesterday, seasoned the lentils with garlic parmesan from a fries season I bought a while ago and it was delicious.

For those ringing in the New Year at a gathering, have a great time, for those like me taking it easy at home, treat yourself to something nice whether good movie or earlier dinner with friends. I am not sure what I want to do for new years for myself, we will see.

• irishlove

Waving hello to all the lovely ladies here at Mel's. I keep thinking about @sunshine99 and praying for improvement. May we all find a healthier new year. In pockets for all your needs.

It's going to be close to freezing between 3 a..m. and 9 a.m. overnight. Booty is in bed with me and the dogs are scrunched up against DH. One day left of antibiotics and even though I feel a bit better, still coughing. Gargled with salt water to see if it helps to heal my gum and roof of mouth. I do have magic mouthwash but I haven't noticed any improvement.

In the for what it's worth category, a girlfriend said Chick-filet has the best chicken noodle soup she's ever eaten. Tried it today, and it is delicious. Looks like some rice and small noodles. The broth is not greasy. I paired it with a grilled chicken sandwich with honey bbq sauce. Wasn't sure about the sauce being spicy, but it was not. Very good lunch. Stay warm everyone and thoughts, prayers and love to all of you. I couldn't fight this without your support.

• mara51506

I know it will be less busy over the next couple of days but want to wish a Happy New Year and all the best for 2024. I am always in pockets sending my thoughts and hopes for healing there as well.

I am spending a quiet day at home waiting for some ranch dressing from Amazon. No plans for tonight, usually fall asleep before midnight. Just doing some of the chores, finally started, spun and got a load of laundry done at the same time instead of starting, forgetting about it while doing other stuff etc.

My breakfast is the egg mcmuffin that Mcdonalds has. I am cooking up two hashbrowns first, then hardboil 2 eggs with some lentils and cheese in the eggs. The english muffins will be done separately, might put garlic or just plain butter and some mayo spread, put it all together, should be better than paying an arm and a leg for a food delivery service. Hardly worth the almost 25 dollars they want me to pay. Cheaper to ride the bus and have food there. That is what will happen as I have routine MRI scan at 730 and have to stick around for Herceptin. If the weather is decent, I could use the time in between appointments to have some McDonalds breakfast there. I like Tim Hortons at the hospital but think it would be nice for McD in this case.

I decided to try putting a pancake in the egg cooker. Put on hard boiled amount of steaming. It was cooked through but texture was like a sponge. I probably could have cooked it further in a pan but did not think of that until today, oh well, things happen. I may make a savoury pancake in the sandwich maker and figure out seasonings there.

• mara51506

Irishlove, hope todays sees you feeling better, wish for better health for sunshine, better mouth for Mel and all others dealing with SE or other things as well. In pockets kicking out SE and nasty bugs.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723

Hi everyone! Sorry I’ve been MIA for a while. We went to Utah for Christmas, got sick, and now back home trying to recover. I’m thinking that I can’t be around more than just a few people and I nee to mask. My sister’s step-son, his wife and their five-year-old daughter were there. The niece was sick and I think we caught it. My sister and I talked yesterday, and decided that next Christmas, they’ll have the kids there and we will do Christmas at another time. I think it’s more important that the kids keep that connection. My niece felt horrible about getting me sick. Of course, I felt bad that she felt bad…

I’m scrolling through all the posts and trying not to miss anyone, but please forgive me if I do.

Intolight, I hear you about the dishes. I’ve started using paper plate and bowls. Never thought I’d be that person, but you gotta do what you gotta do, right?

Goldens, I’m sorry about the lung thing. We’re both coughing here, too. On and off fever, on and off sore throat. I’m glad you were able to get a refund on your tickets.

Mara, I always look forward to your posts. When I think of you, I get a craving for hashbrown patties! I think that will be on the menu for later today.

Bellelove, I don’t even know what to say. My heart just breaks with these tragedies.

Cookie, I’m so sorry about your sweet Daisy. Run free, sweet one… Amazing story about your gf and the “angel” who stole her glove! I got goosebumps when I read that.

Irish, what a wonderful idea to gift some of your jewelry to your family. Everyone in my family this year got caps that I crocheted. I also made some small washcloths for my sister.

Mel, I’m hopeful that this mouthwash will lessen your sores. I’m sorry that woman yelled at you. It really hurts when you seriously didn’t mean to do what they thought you did. Get the placard ASAP. I was embarrassed at first to use mine, but not anymore.

Amel_83, I love your reindeer! (And your tabby.)

Candy, I hear you about being around sick people. I had stopped masking, but I think I’m going to start up again…

I hope everyone has a safe New Year’s Eve, however you choose to celebrate. No big plans here. Will be in bed long before midnight.

Love and hugs,

Carol

Waving hi to mae, shanagirl, emac, Sondra, sf-cakes, tanya, and anyone I’ve missed.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,462
  • bellelove70
    bellelove70 Member Posts: 38

Wishing everyone a happy new year. May 2024 be a year of peace and joy. May struggles be less and simple pleasures be more.

Nothing going on at our house except watching football or Netflix. I have heard that in Ireland at midnight they open up the door to let the old year out and the new year in. I'll open up the windows and garage door too and I'll give a swift kick to 2023!

Love Debbie ❤️

• irishlove

Happy New Year everyone. Good wishes for a healthier 2024.

Laurel

• sf-cakes
    sf-cakes Member Posts: 599

Love to everyone here in Mel's living room, as we put up new calendars for another year. So grateful to everyone here for the support, I know I've said it before but I'll keep saying it, I couldn't have made it this far without the kindness and wisdom from you all.

I saw this and it made me think of us:

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 710

Happy New Year to all in Mel’s living room. May we all enjoy health and happiness in 2024, along with peace and comfort.

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,528

Happy New Year to all!!!

Bellelove70 I’m letting 2023 go too.

i wear my mask and endure the stares. I have no explanations nor patience left for the potentially diseased who want to tell me covids over.

Tanya

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,025

Happy New Year ladies. May this be a great year for us all. Hope everyone had a restful day and New Year’s Eve. We just relaxed. Was in bed by 1030. Which I could sleep all day if I’m honest. I feel like I never get enough sleep. Am I alone in this feeling?

• shanagirl

Everyone! Happy New Year to all of you and I pray that 2024 brings you stable and positive health and fewer days of pain and side effects. Today DH said he wanted to start taking the tree down now that the Holidays are over. I told him I wanted to take some pictures of it before we take it down. Looking at the pictures made me feel a little nostalgic and sad because the ornaments are from many Christmas' times past when we kept the tree up longer for the kids, and then the the grandchildren.. the years go by too fast and cancer seems to make the days go faster. I love Christmas and my family. I hate Cancer mets. Good night all

• shanagirl

the fish have been mesmerized by the tree 😂

• sunshine99

Mel, you’re not alone. Sleep is a welcome reprieve.

• emac877
    emac877 Member Posts: 688

Happy New Year to everyone. I will share in the sentiment that I hope it is a happy and healthier 2024. I am doing slightly better with SE's and appreciate the well wishes. I have an appointment with my MO Thursday and also see and endocrinologist this month so hopefully we can figure this out. Darn Piqray, it's working for me but it's not easy.

I agree with Mel, I don't ever feel like I've slept well. The last week I have been moved to the second bedroom and am having to use the hall bath because something under the house died and the master and master bath are just atrocious with the smell. It's definitely under the master bathroom. I put some activated charcoal bags in there today that I found at Walmart. I had someone come out and look but he didn't find anything. I'm not completely sure he looked up into the insulation and not just on the ground. I've had this happen before where a rat got up into the insulation and died. It's an older house that butts up to a creek and is across from an orchard. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of bones holding up these walls. Anyway, I didn't realize how attached I am to my routine and usual placement of things until I had to switch it up. Hopefully the charcoal will work in a few days to absorb the smell.

Mae, I love the name George Cooney, I have a small family of them that visit my yard pretty often.

Irishlove, intolight, and sunshine99 and anyone else fighting all this stuff going around. I hope you feel better.

Mara, good for you sticking to it with the walking. I've been trying to do more so I don't lose what I'm gaining in PT but some days it's a struggle. I would not be able to take two bags of trash down a flight of stairs let alone two. With my lungs stairs are a struggle for me.

Shanagirl, I love the tree and the fish. My tree and decorations were down early this year. I can empathize with memories of Christmases past. It's different now with my parents being older and not wanting to travel and most of the extended family in Arizona.

• mara51506

Emac, my new goal is to only have one bag of garbage to take out, even though garbage will be every second week now, if I had too much trouble, put them down an hour at a time. When I did those two bags, it was quite hard, panting all the way and I did roll them down all steps. Once the snow is here, going to salt steps, with their salt initially and I have my own mixture, we will see what happens.

I hope everyone is doing well. I did do up my budget, rent has gone up the allowed amount so by another 23 dollars. Getting more difficult to just use disability funds though they went up a bit. Going to have a more strict budget I think. Luckily cat food is no issue, my DB gave me quite a bit that his cats did not like, mine love it and litter is purchased at Costco. I wrote down bills I pay and set a strict budget, if it is impossible to stay within, I have enough to buy from a savings account that I try not to touch. I just have to stop buying so much canned food and earn more on surveys to discount some of the price increases, I am pretty good at that.

Not sure what else I am doing besides regular laundry etc, cleaning and deodorizing some peanut butter containers and those huge M@M containers, they can hold food but I do not need them to pass on their smell. Using hot water, dish soap, alcohol and baking soda, will soak and see what happens. It smells good after a quick soak, liking to have extra food containers without paying extra.

I had quinoa this morning. Added a little mayo with chicken, italian, garlic and parmesan with salt, super filling. Looking forward to an egg sandwich later.

Have a good day, in pockets as always sending love and good thoughts as well.

• sf-cakes
    sf-cakes Member Posts: 599

Just had such a weird, gaslighting type of conversation with a medical assistant (not at my MO's office), trying to schedule spine surgery. She kept trying to tell me I live close to a city that's 60 miles away from my house, vs. her medical center, which is 15 miles from my house. I made sure she was looking in MY chart, which she was, but she kept insisting that I live somewhere else. It felt like I was in a twilight zone episode. She abruptly put me on hold, presumably to look at a map, then came back on the line to begrudgingly offer me an initial phone consult two months from now.

I then talked with the medical center 60 miles away and they can get me in for surgery this month, so looks like I'm in for a long Uber ride! (I can't drive myself home, obviously, and my Mum isn't comfortable driving in the freeway for that long, one of the reasons we were trying to get this done closer to home).

It's hard, when we're scared, to then have to deal with staff at medical centers who are abrasive, and plain wrong. But at least I can go somewhere else, so trying to be grateful!

• shanagirl
    edited January 2

CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP? I POSTED THIS ON THE VERZENIO STAGE IV THREAD TOO😔

Hello everyone. I’m not feeling well today so I’m too weak and tired to address you individually as I usually do. I need to share this with you to ask if anyone has had this happen to them? I had a very bad episode this morning that scared me and concerned DH. 

After Reading and finishing my coffee in bed I started with the bad tummy aches I get every morning. As I went into the bath room I suddenly started shivering and trembling and teeth chattering. I got severe chills and freezing cold. I was shaking  so much and I rushed into my closet to grab a warm fleece PJ set. I was trembling so much and felt like I was going to pass out from lightheadedness and weakness. My DH got me a heating pad and a warm blanket as I lay in fetal position shaking, and. teeth chattering 🥶under the blanket on my bed. Not only was I freezing and trembling but I was in sudden severe pain in my right ribs and left shoulder, neck, spine and lower lumbar spine, seat bones, my left and  front femur bone. Such bone pain, DH massaged me with Voltaren gel, and got me on a heating pad, and gave me an Ativan… He said I slept for two hours. I woke up feeling weak and headachey most of the day with lung  & chest pain that hurts and feels cold if i try to take a deep Breath, and then I cough. So now I’m feeling upset that this metastatic cancer has totally upended my life.  I’m wondering. If this is Pneumonitis related to meds or a  virus coming on. I don’t have a fever, Ladies😔. Has this happened to anyone else ladies?

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,025

Sounds like you should call and Inform your MO just to be. On the safe side. Am in your pocket. Quietly

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,920

The sudden chills are concerning. Definitely let your MO know. I had them once but they were followed by a fever. I was reacting to a blood transfusion that wasn't quite right for me.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,689
    edited January 3

@shanagirl I actually did have something similar happen but I wasn’t caused by cancer, rather it was a severe reaction to polyethylene glycol, which is used as a chemical binder in chemo’s and other stuff. When it happened I sort of spaced out too until they stopped the drip and injected Benadryl. A similar thing happened on my 2nd try with a different chemo, it landed me in the ER and the pain was the worst I’ve ever experienced. I’m sure you’ll contact your MO and I hope you feel better and find out what caused the episode.

Edited to add that I was shaking so much and wasn’t responding normally, DH and the nurse thought I was having a seizure but later tests determined that I did not.

• gailmary
    gailmary Member Posts: 494

My husbands covid started like that but not that amount of pain

• sunshine99

shanagirl, I’m so sorry. I can’t imagine how scary that was. I hope your MO has some answers. Gentle hugs to you

• shanagirl

@illimae yes I was shaking so much asked DH if he thought I was dying. Sounds kind of funny now but being so shivering teeth chattering cold made me thing I was dying. The warmth of th fleecy PJ’s and being under the blanket wrapped around me and a heating pad under me and taking the Ativan…. I jus went out like a light for 2 hours..But I’m thinking its a virus coming on.. I have an caugh and chest pains. Wondering if it could be Pneumonitis from the Verzenio. Thanks @illimae 💜

• AJ
    AJ Member Posts: 249

@shanagirl , maybe you should go to urgent care or an er. Definitely call your mo

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 806

Happy New Near to all, wishing you peace and comfort and continued strength.

sfcakes I just love that pic and quote, so true! Sometimes we need a little borrowed faith. Definitely a twilight zone experience with the office girl..just weird. maybe she needed a second cup of coffee or something lol. That kinda stuff can send you off the deep end as you are already anxious about the process as it is. I hope the surgery goes smoothly , do you have a date?

shanagirl I hope you are feeling better and got some answers as to what that episode was. Sending up extra prayers for you today.

emac Glad you are a little better with SE's and that Piqray is doing it's job! Ugh wth can that mystery odor be other than a dead animal? Hope you get some answers soon.

sunshine Happy to see ya. Hope things are going ok, I think you were waiting to start Rads right?

Mara If anyone can stretch a dollar it's you! You always amaze me with your food creativity , you inspired me to join Swagbucks. I answer surveys while watching TV , easy way to earn gift cards. I like to challenge myself so it's perfect for me.

Well off to treatment today, had more bloodwork for the red blood cell issues. Mo messaged yesterday and said we need to follow liver enzymes closely, ugh. Missing my MIss Daisy terribly, DH and I have been searching Lab rescues for the right fit for us. Big hello, coffee cheers to all here this morning.