Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Comments

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,559

Emac - I am just so sorry to have been reading about what you've been going through - culminating now with this. Not fair! I've also been following along with Sunshine and another one or two I think who are trying the Truqap. Maybe that will work better for you too? Hugs and fingers crossed! Feel better soon.

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,389

Emac, Irishlove and others, I am sorry you are having troubles too. Emac, right there with you that hospitals are the worst for sleeping.

Mel, still in your pocket as well hoping you feel all of our love for you.

I am doing my usual stuff, tv playing ads for cash, one of my laptops playing ads for cash with cooking videos playing. I actually pay attention to the cooking tips. I also got this idea about making eggs more filling. I am going to put a handful of beans, two eggs and a precooked hashbrown. Adding a spoonful of pancake mix as well, small spoonful as not trying to turn this into a pancake but just to make it more filling and prepare in the frying pan, not sure what seasonings I will add while in the pan but it should be good I would think. Blending ingredients in the magic bullet as well.

Yesterday I received my fleece leggings, finally got a pair that have a thick fleece inside. Put the traction cleats, reversible as well so I do not have to switch shoes on and got the second cane. Both are the same retractable ice pick. Plan is that I can use those as needed outside, been practicing using both inside. I also plan to mix up a liquid ice melt using hot water and a generous amount of ice salt I have here, get the melting started and clear off the step, add salt after as well. Makes me feel safer, not sure if I need my wee shovel but we will see. Also doing more PT in bed as well, still like the bridge posing, stretching and others, exercising ankles stand up on tip toe in the bathroom or kitchen then lifting front of foot from the ankle. Build that strength. Need to build up my housekeeping with regard to vacuuming and dusting

I am in pockets where needed and hoping everyone has a good day. Weather here is very cold but temps will recover soon. We really have not had too much actual winter weather which I am not complaining about but I don't mind the snow not being as bad or early as other years.

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 710

emac - fingers crossed you will soon be home in the comfort of your own bed. There is no rest in a hospital. Hope they can find another treatment that doesn’t make your glucose go haywire.

• mara51506

I am so disgusted with my main grocery store. Just bumped into some news that Loblaws stores in Canada who used to offer a 50% discount on foods about to expired have cut that discount to 30%, almost half increase in cost. This is food that will be thrown out after. These stores make bucketloads of money and while I get that inflation affects everyone, food costs are through the roof. Now food that was discounted to sell before being thrown out has gone up in price too. Disgusting, may shop at Walmart more in protest of this, costs there are similar to No Frills where I usually shop. I am lucky I have ways to make extra budget to stretch more and can stretch food as well. I feel for people who rely on that to get them through the week, more people skipping meals to make rent, wrong on all levels. Rant over.

• sf-cakes
    sf-cakes Member Posts: 599

Emac, I'm so sorry you are in the hospital with dka, and that it's because of your treatment drugs. Really hoping you can get home soon, and then talk with your MO about some other treatment that won't have such awful side effects. Ugh, you've been through so much recently, it's not fair!

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 805

Emac Sheesh I'm sorry you have been having such a rough time with Piqray. These drugs that are intended to help sure can cause havoc on our bodies. Yep absolutely no rest or peace in the hospital, I hope you rebound quick. Fingers crossed next drug up is way easier on you and gets the job done. Hugs.

mara Ugh everything is so inflated anymore, so frustrating!

Irish Hope you relief from colitis soon! Geez even so cold for you too…yikes. Oh those Eagles I'm done being frustrated watching them I plan to watch tonight and whatever happens is fine!

Hi to all here ,well wishes and warm wishes to all.

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,025

Thinking of you ladies.

hello Elenora!

• doodler
    doodler Member Posts: 76

mara51506 I saw your rant and I am here for it. I get groceries delivered (bad back issues). And I can say that the meat that is due to go past the best before date is being put to "good use," they put it in the delivery orders, that I've seen so far. So if I get three packages of meat in an order, they're all due to expire the next day. Like I'm going to cook all of that meat tonight? You have to laugh.

Emac I want to add more well wishes to the bunch for you.

• irishlove
    irishlove Member Posts: 562

Good evening everyone. @emac877 Oh my word, meds that are suppose to help and they harmed you. Damn it, you so need a break. I hope you get home soon and find a tx that is gentle but effective.

Went for labs and shots to my behind today. No Zometa until end of Feb. due to root canal. Before I arrived home I rec'd a call that my MRI tomorrow is not gonna happen (but again). Furious is how I would describe my mood. The scheduler said she never rec'd a referral (I'm Humana Med. Advantage HMO). Well it's funny I was approved for Jan. 5th, which they cancelled saying the facility does not accept my insurance. I must be missing something because I thought when you are on Medicare Advantage, facilities must accept you as if you were a Medicare patient. Hmmm… So I called MO's office (no MO though) and rec'd help from nurse with complaint to scheduler. I'm reset for Fri. Jan. 19th, that's if they can get an referral. geez……… Colitis is better, but not totally gone. As least no blood in stool, like last time. Those 7 days in the hospital were awful, so I understand just how @emac877 feels.

Thank you all for your warm words of support. It means so much to me. Stay warm and be careful if you must go out into winter storms..

• mara51506

Doodler, I think that is terrible to reserve meat due to expire next day into delivery orders. I get meat mostly through little meat pies, hotdogs, chicken and beef and do different things with those things, canned meat as well since my freezer is too tiny to buy too much meat, shelf stable. Beans and lentils fill those out, eggs are a staple as well. My breakfast yesterday was really good with beans, eggs and cheese and a spoonful of pancake mix, brought everything together very well. I can stretch a buck still, watch a lot of people who do budget challenges as well which give me some ideas too. I do have extra money but am loathe to use it too much, prefer to save as much as possible, use surveys and other things to boost my monthly budget.

• eleanora
    eleanora Member Posts: 299

@micmel

Hello to you too, Mel. I'm here, just hiding in a corner wrapped in a blanket. Think of you every day as you deal with grief. Both of my parents died within months of each other 33 years ago and I thought at the time that it would break me, but it didn't. Things will improve - it will get easier. Promise.

Love and hugs

Eleanora

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,166

I continue to read along on here- daily. I hate to read of all the struggles.

I went to see my MO last Friday and I hated to share the news that I am stable, with so many on here struggling. We lowered my Lynparza dose 3 months ago, due to the GI side effects. But the scans still showed stable with the lowered dose. The GI side effects are better, but I still have days where my stomach is upset. But it is overall better. I rescan in 3 months again. I thank the Lord that things are stable. One never knows when that may change, we all know that. When the other shoe will drop. Will it be slow progression? Or BAM? But I am thankful for the now.

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 1,026

Great news, Candy! Thanks for sharing.

• runor
    runor Member Posts: 1,613

Micmel, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I talk to my mom everyday and fear the day I can no longer make that call. Life… it's…. (shaking head wordlessly). Hugging you, as everyone else is. We fill your living room with silent support and letting you be as you need to be at this sad time.

I have only read the last few pages and feel really bad for those who are having such a tough time of it. I am always amazed at the fortitude that everyone shows. No wimps here.

We had almost spring-like weather all December, a green Christmas, so weird. I went for a walk and saw that my rhubarb had decided to start sending up tender pink shoots. I call them bubbles. Rhubarb bubbles. But once they freeze, or get picked off by savage chickens, they don't come back. I gathered pine needles and leaves to cover over all the little pink rhubarb bubbles. Good thing I did because all freeze broke loose and we went from spring, melting to -29 in a span of 3 days. I've been home full time putting wood in the fire. The air outside hurts my face when I go out to do chores. It has warmed up to a balmy -16 today. (for my US friends, Celsius scale is freezing at 0, so 29 degrees below freezing). Frozen eggs, frozen rhubarb bubbles, constant firewood filling and a truck that will NOT start so I stay home, happily and avoid the world. That is what's going on here. Go for boob u.s on Friday to get progress report on the 'thing' they have been watching for 2 years now. Hugs to all.

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,319

@candy-678 I love to hear the news that you are stable. Hooray! I am hoping to echo your news after my scan today.

• intolight

runor, that is cold! We are finally above freezing here in Colorado Springs today.

• intolight

Good afternoon. I just received the results from my CT scan today: No evidence of metastatic disease of the chest, abdomen and pelvis. Hooray! Of course the CT scan is not as detailed as a PET, but it would show anything suspicious. I have no message from my oncologist yet, but I will see her on Thursday. That is 7 1/2 years from first diagnosis of Stage IV so I battle on! Praying for similar good news for others.

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 1,026

Intolight-Wonderful news!

• shanagirl
    shanagirl Member Posts: 419

Oh @emac877 what a weekend for you. Sob away about your frustrations having to be in ICU. You have every right sing a sob song. And that’s why we all listen to each other’s sobs., I hope you and your MO can talk about another option for your arsenal. In your pocket and sending you gentle (((hugs))) 🩵

@irishlove staying in bed and giving into the whatever’s Side effects is always a good idea. Sending you warm Caring thoughts and breathe prayers.

@sunshine99 So I’m hoping I won’t have to see a pulmonologist. My onc ordered chest X-ray which I had today, and it came out Unremarkable, clear, no mass or effusions. So really think the coughing and hyperinflation was caused by my asthma Congestion or taking a deep breath during the scan when I should have been holding it😉. Or my sinus congestion from my allergies. So I love when they say unremarkable.

@chicagoan and @eleanora waving hi, girls 🥰

@micmel Hey there girl, sending you caring thoughts, and Hopefully you are resting and taking some quiet time to process all of your feelings during this time of grief you are going thru. In you pocket as long as you need it.🩵💙

• candy-678

Congrats Intolight.

My thoughts are with all of you that are struggling right now. Life can be soooo hard.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,689

@intolight Congrats on the great scan results!

Hi to all, I’m here, just reading mostly. I’m doing well and staying warm.

• irishlove
    irishlove Member Posts: 562

Waving hello to all from balmy Florida (lol it's gonna be 34 tonight). No need to throw snowballs at me. I can't get over this frigid air across the states. Son is in Charlotte, it's 25 right now. I love to check the webcam from Boone, NC, where we lived 23 years. It's snowing beautifully and 10 degrees. I do miss the snow, but not the windy, icy stuff.

I am so happy for stable and NEAD for the gals here. Please keep sharing all and we'll keep caring about all your needs. It makes me smile to read those good reports and dig deeper for prayers of healing for all that may be struggling.

Not feeling good today. I'm really shaky. I think when they deplete the estrogen with those shots, they suck out part of my brain. Colitis is improving, ate rice, salmon and carrots. Staying away from dairy and spicy foods. I think I'm doing better with my mental health as I finally started saying, hey this is probably MS related. Yeah, I like that idea, since I've lived with MS since 2001. But I'm finally hooked up for a zoom call tomorrow for some encouragement from a mental health counselor. I'm pretty much an open book, so no problem chatting. I am however nervous about the brain MRI Friday.

Just a reminder to put extra seed out for the birdies and corn for the deer and other wild critters. DH bought me 100 lbs of mixed seed, so maybe that will outlast the squirrels for a bit. lol

• sf-cakes
    sf-cakes Member Posts: 599

Candy and intolight, so good to hear about your stable scans! Hurrah!

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723

rumor, how nice to see you!

Radiation was canceled today as the equipment was down. Feeling tired and nauseated. Will mention it to the RO tomorrow.

• eleanora
    eleanora Member Posts: 299

@intolight and @candy-678

Congratulations on clear scans!

@shanagirl

So glad the chest X-ray was clear.

Last night I got my bone and ct scan results and they are all clear again. That giant "whoosh" heard on the east coast was my giant sigh of relief. I am on a 6 month scan schedule and feel like I live my life in 6 month segments.

@irishlove @emac877 @shanagirl and everyone else not well at the moment, I think of you every day and hold you in my heart.

Eleanora

• cookie54

@candy-678 @intolight @eleanora Yipeeeee for stable….always love to hear good news as we all rejoice with you!

Mel Glad to see you popped your head in the room, we are all thinking of you.

• cookie54

Welcome Allie Grace all the way from Oklahoma to NJ! She is a very sweet 1yr old yellow lab with beautiful piercing eyes. Allie is adjusting well to daily life with us, her last couple months she was fostered on a farm.Many new adventures waiting for all of us! She is filling our hearts again where our beloved sweet Daisy left off. As they say who rescued who💓

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 710

intolight, candy & elenora - happy dance on the good scans. I hope I can join you as my scans are tomorrow. I am now playing nurse. Hubs had left knee replaced yesterday. Right one was done in 2016. Our best friends are coming for a week to help. Cathy is my angel on earth. She is bringing dinner for the next 7 days.
    cookie - Allie Grace is so beautiful. Thank you for rescuing her.
    Hugs to all. May all discomforts be gone! Stay warm. -2 and wind chill feels like -20. Brrrrr…..

• candy-678

Eleanora- Congrats on the good scans.

• mkestrel
    mkestrel Member Posts: 180

I forgot what I was going to say because of Cookie's gorgeous dog. I miss mine and want another hiking buddy but the cat said no. She also says the flowers were for her. I'm waiting for scan results. Sounds like many others had them lately. I'm trying to get distracted and think about something else...