Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Comments

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,025

Love the animals! Love love them.

glad for all good scan news. That helps my sadness. I’m taking this pretty hard. We were very close. Runor. Always always so good to see you my friend. Welcome back !

• eleanora
    eleanora Member Posts: 299

Thanks everyone for the congrats on the scan results. You all know better than anyone how I feel.

@goldensrbest and @mkestrel

Fingers and toes crossed for you to have stable scans too.

@cookie54

Allie Grace is beautiful and I wish you a long life together. She is one lucky puppy to have wound up with you!

Eleanora

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,559

Cookie - Allie Grace! You are so lucky to have her, Cookie. I'm sure you will enjoy many, many, many wonderful times, cuddles, and adventures with her. Love the photos!

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,920

Cookie, Allie Grace looks so much like our last dog. She was found in the woods after being dumped for having puppies. We thought she was mixed with shepherd but really looked like your dog. We had wonderful times with her as you will with AG.

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,528

Congratulations Candy, Eleanora and intolight on your scans!!!!!

Emac I hope you get home and well soooon.

Mel thinking of you and sending hugs.

Tanya

• irishlove
    irishlove Member Posts: 562

Waving hello to all if you can see me thru the snow falling and wind. Cookie, I am in love with Allie. I know she will bring so much happiness and adventures and maybe fill a bit of that void that Daisy left. 8 years ago it was our catch and keep of Minnie and Pigeon. Minnie was all bones and her teets were hanging to the ground. Pigeon was a bait dog, chewed up pretty badly. We fostered them and decided they weren't going anywhere that passed our strict requirements. So today the girls are 9 and 10 and healthy. They walk with their dad every morning and have access thru a dog door to the back yard. Sweet girls, our last rescues after 47 years of me rescuing and 45 of DH. Lots of dogs and cats, too.

I did my first zoom call with mental health program. They hooked me up with a wonderful physchiatrist. He will adjust my meds and wants me to see a therapist asap. I now have access to a 24/7 hotline. Between the anxiety, depression, pain and over all medical problems, I must admit I've had some suicidal thoughts. And it scared me. So I'm now getting the help I need starting today.

Brain MRI Friday 4:30 p.m. I hope I can join the good news club for a change. In pockets for all your needs and thank you for the support.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723

I have a question. I got an automated message that I was overdue for my cervical screening. I’m wondering what the point is. I don’t want to do it. Any thoughts?

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,389

I am glad to hear the stable results, that is always good. I had an MRI last week, routine one and I get results today.

Mel, still thinking of you and sending warm thoughts. It will get easier with fewer spikes in the head and heart. My mom died years ago tomorrow. I waatched sad movies to get myself to cry some as it was building up so I can imagine how you are feeling.

I have the little cleats in midsole of the boots I wear, this time I got slim profile, One thing I like is because theyy are small and most of my foot still meets the ground, I am less likely to slide on a floor. I assume this is because the spikes are more are smaller, have a hard time rotating them so will stop and take them off, quite a bit of snow so it may be a two spiked cane walk to the bus stop. I totally forgot this appointment so no paratransit, the appointment did not show clearly on my calendar but at least I found it yesterday. Going shopping with older DB tonight, skipped last week so have to go tonight. I also made a decision to get dustpans that I tape to the floor on each level to seep up stuff, the one in the living room is great, once done, just use hand vac to pick up the dirt, planning same thing, easier than the vacuum and I can use a long duster to get under furniture. Not sure why I did not think of this before.

Hope everyone has a good day and in pocckets including my own for MRI results. I will post results today.

Rest of today, just practicing two cane walking, yes two canes will be PIA to carry around but I like the stability in winter, come spring, switch back to one cane. I cannot synchronise putting on cane out at a time so just putting both in front and stepping forward. We will see how it goes. Washing a blanket and undecided on breakfast, perhaps an egg mcmuffin riff and something with lentils when I have supper before shopping.

Edited to add, threw some of my own salt out the door and wore my cleats, felt quite comfortable in them I must say, will probably uber to the hospital I think, reducing cane to one cane but the two are great. I will remove the cleats when I get there since I cannot reverse them well but again, the slim profile of the midsole allows my foot to touch the ground and I feel more balanced that way.

• gailmary
    gailmary Member Posts: 494

I would ignore those if you get regular scans. I usually get phone calls. And the caller doesnt understand stage 4. I've posted a question here about continuing mammograms if your metastatic. Even my MO says it's up to me. He expects I'll live another 10+ years. That would catch it early. There are just so many kinds of cancer. You can't test for all of them. I drew the line.

• AJ
    AJ Member Posts: 249

@sunshine99 , I told my pcp years ago that I wasn’t going to get any more cervical cancer screenings. She managed to cancel all the reminders. My MO cancelled the mammogram reminders

• mara51506

OK, good news first, my brain and the bleed are both stable so yay on that.

Getting to the bus opened my eyes to some things, cleats are really not made for slush, I liked them enough though a bit uncomfortable, took off at hospital, my ice pick on the cane was good, steady on my feet though hated walking through the slush to get to the bus. Took a cab home.

Bad news, cat had knocked over a box that I did not notice so when coming in the house, I tripped, falling backwards into the treadmill. The treadmill fell forward a bit but held it back. Almost cried but the fall really did not hurt, I am sore in the shoulder a bit but not hurt otherwise.

The good news is, after a few minutes of sitting on my bum, I scooched on my bum over to the yoga mat as I don't want to kneel on a hard floor, was kneeling and took another minute to sort myself and just pushed my self onto the chair. I was so excited because this is the first time I got up from a fall by myself. If I was outside, I was told to call an ambulance but inside, if I am not injured, I can scooch around as needed. That bridge pose the OT told me about that I do in bed really increased my push strength to get up. I am not happy to fall but happy I was not injured over a trip so not balance related, glad not to have hurt myself and very glad to have got up myself. Called OT and SIL I was so excited. Bought myself Mcdonalds as a treat and to celebrate getting to my feet, bridge pose continues.

• eleanora

@irishlove

In your pocket for the MRI and everything else you might need. So happy that the therapy is working out for you.

@Mara

Way to go on getting up by yourself. That's a real achievement. So glad you weren't hurt.

@gailmary and @AJ

Saw my MO yesterday and because of the comments posted here, asked what clinical benefit I was getting from the mammogram when I have scans every 6 months. I had a lumpectomy and the scar tissue is still very painful, so that test is torture and I dreaded it every year. She said I could stop! I would never have thought to ask that question, so thank you to everyone who brought up the topic.

I learn so much from all of you ❤️

Eleanora

• AJ
    AJ Member Posts: 249

@mara51506 , congratulations on being able to get up! All your work has paid off!

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,559

Mara - Just want to say how glad I am that your fall "went well" and you are in good shape. Falls can be so scary and demoralizing and I'm glad that this one wasn't too bad. The first time I fell (flat down on cement while on a walk) I was able to get myself up and carry on with the walk with only a few scrapes and bruises. The second time was last September; again flat down on the cement while on a walk. That time I needed help and 911 was called by a passerby. Fractured my left shoulder and thank goodness it's been healing real well. Those falls just come out of nowhere and are such a blow to our pride and dignity! Again, so glad you managed this one so well.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,689

Sunshine, I don’t get screenings or mammograms since I am scanned every 3 months. MO says they’d catch anything quickly and I agree.

• emac877
    emac877 Member Posts: 688

I am so happy to see some good news and of course animal pictures on here. Congrats on Allie Grace cookie54!

We've spent the last couple of days having patchy internet due to broken cables from the ice and snow in the higher elevations. It's cold here by my standards, 40s during the day and freezing at night but I just can't imagine the kind of cold Runor spoke of. I'm a desert rat at heart so I don't think I could do that. January and February are the parts of the PNW that I really struggle with every year. Days on end of gray skies and rain. It's just so demotivating.

I saw my oncologist's PA today and he discontinued the Piqray. Right now since I'm still recovering from covid and DKA I am just going to stay on Faslodex and Xgeva for a bit until I am more stable. That's a little scary but I understand that starting a new therapy when I am sick isn't safe either. I might end up enjoying the break. I'm not sure what the next alternative is. It wouldn't make sense to do Capivasertib because it has similar effects to Piqray. I'm not sure if I can do Ibrance after progressing on Verzenio. So I will have a follow up with my oncologist in two weeks and see what he comes up with.

I have a brain MRI coming up on Monday. I kind of expect that there will be a new met because when I was so off my rocker in the ICU they did a head CT and noticed a small met that was not on my last MRI. So I will wait and see.

I'm going to try and go to Costco tomorrow with my brother. I have a small list and my parents have a list and they are still really sick with covid so we are trying to do as much as we can for them.

Hugs to those who are hurting and also those who shared good news! I think of you all often.

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 805

Thanks all for the well wishes with Allie, she is a sweet girl!

wren Isn't it so sad how people just discard animals like trash! Glad you were able to rescue her and have many good years together.

emac Thinking of you and hoping your body gets a short break it needs. Positive thoughts your next treatment will be easier on you. Hope you make it to Costco and your parents recover quickly.

Mara Yikes glad you didn't break something! I also believe all your PT exercises continue to help you strengthen.

irish Awww I love that you were able to rescue those poor pups. You gave them a fresh start with lots of love. In your pocket for MRI, yes lets keep the good scans rolling!

• shanagirl
    shanagirl Member Posts: 419

I’m reading through a lot since I haven’t in a few days. Keeping up with everything.😊

@intolight Oh such great news. I love hearing that scans are stable. Good news Gir!‼️

@cookie54 Heeyyyyy Jersey, congratulations on your beautiful new girl, Allie Grace. She will fill that sadness of the loss of your sweet Daisy. She will bring you the healing you needs. And wow she’s young, she will give you years together. I’m so happy for you🥰.

@goldensrbest Pocket duty and praying your scans are unremarkable🙏🩵

@mkestrel 😂 the cat said no. She’s. So adorable. I love tortoiseshell kitties. I had one years ago when the kids were little. Her name was Brandy and she had one litter of 4 beautiful kittens. We found great homes for all of them.. everyone is getting scanned these days. In your pocket as you wait for results💙

Hello everyone, @micmel , @candy-678 @eleanora @threetree @chicagoan @sunshine99 ..sorry you’re feeling nausea. Hey there @sf-cakes @runor , love your rhubarb bubbles story. Reminds me. Of when I was young, my grandmother lived next to a rhubarb farm😊. @illimae glad all is well, and your are staying all warm in this cold weather🩵. @mara51506 Hi Lady Stay comfy warm in those new fleece leggings😉. @emac877 thinking of you 💙. @doodler waving 👋 hi to you….and sweet @irishlove I hope you are not still feeling so shaken. My heart ♥️Is with you..in your pocket.🩵. Goodnight everyone

• irishlove

Sending some warming wishes your way to all of you. In pocket for scans and for life, in general.

@emac877 Hope that the break from heavy meds helps and the other meds hold you steady. I think cure-ious mentioned that patients oftentimes can return to a cdk drug as the cancer once again responds. I wish you a lovely day with family and a treatment plan and prayers for a clear MRI . @mara51506 Oh gosh you sure scared me, thinking you could have been seriously injured and it's a blessing to know you are ok. See, that yoga practice really did pay off! And clear MRI brain scan, time to celebrate. My DH had ice walkers when he walked the police beat in Boone, NC for over 16 years. They worked extremely well and he never fell in the snow or ice. @shanagirl Oh thank you so much for the healing wishes. You'all are so warm and caring and tremendously appreciated.

Has anyone rec'd notification from Pfizer that they will once again cover the cost of Ibrance?? I haven't heard yet, but was happy to see that the drug donut hole will drop to $3300 for 2024 and even lower for 2025. That's for the total cost of all your prescriptions.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,920

Wow! One month of ibrance will almost put me across the doughnut hole. I'm on a lot of other meds, so it won't take long.

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 710

Very happy to report that my scans are stable. My prayer is that everyone can get the same news!

Mara - how scary that you fell but kudos for doing your exercises that helped you get up!
    Wren - I will be in the same boat as soon as I order my Ibrance next week!

Pocket duty for all upcoming scans - emac and anyone I might have forgotten. Hugs to all my sisters here🤗

• mara51506

Woke up today expecting to be in a lot of pain but there really is not much except for underside of arm. The fall but ease of pushing myself up does show me I need to continue with the bridge pose, going to look up other bed workout options to do when first getting up. I do want more treadmill work to fast track some cardio. I was huffing and puffing at Costco. I don't mind as I was able to continue without stopping.

Got a couple of seasonings, greek seasoning, superburger seasoning and sloppy joe seasoning and picked up a broccoli salad mix. got a ton more battered fish and plan to incorporate them more with salad, lentils or quinoa. Unsure about breakfast yet, Also have some chips to use to add crunch or seasoning flavours to meals as well. I also ordered a big mac meal as a treat after getting up so easy and added an extra patty for use later. Probably incorporate it in a couple of meals with lentils, quinoa or whatever I want.

• sf-cakes
    sf-cakes Member Posts: 599

Eleanora, Mara, and Goldens, such good news about stable scans! Mara, really glad your brain MRI is clear and that worrisome bleed is not now an issue.

I'll be having surgery to stabilize my spine on the 29th, will have some rods and screws attached to vertebrae adjacent to my T9, which is the troublesome, pesky, compressed one. Total side effect of cancer and radiation to kill the cancer, the bone is dead and won't heal. So my cancer is stable but my back is not! I'm walking and doing stuff with mild to moderate pain, but am of course kind of scared to move much, definitely no heavy lifting or twisting in weird ways. Walking is, as always, the best exercise.

Cancer, The Fun That Never Ends! Getting a quick EKG this morning, standard protocol prior to surgery.

Thinking of you all, as always, and sending love out to everyone.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,689

Yay for good scans Mara and Goldens!

Off to a nearby town today for laundry and teeth cleaning. No plans for the next few days other than listening to an audiobook while working on a jigsaw puzzle.

My boys will turn 2 in a couple weeks, time flies.

• eleanora

@goldensrbest and @mara51506

Yay for stable!

@sf-cakes

In your pocket until surgery and beyond. It's very normal to be nervous, but think about moving with little or no pain once you heal.

Wishing you an easy surgery and speedy recovery.

Eleanora

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,319

Woke up today to more snow…unexpected. So glad my appointment was yesterday! Oncologist confirmed nothing showed on the scans so we stay the course! So yay for goldens, eleanora, mara, and candy too!

sf-cakes, will pray for your surgery on the 29th.

mara, so happy you were able to get up and your brain mri was stable. Those back exercises do help. I also do more that I learned in PT these past few weeks. I can feel the difference already.

emac, I will also pray for your brain scan on Monday that there will be no additional spots. You deserve a break!

This has seemed to be a long winter already, and it is early yet. So stay warm everyone.

• sf-cakes
    sf-cakes Member Posts: 599

Cookie and Mae, thank you for the most adorable pup photos! Made my morning 😊

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,664

@illimae I can't believe its been two years already! And they are just as sweet as the day you got them too :)

@mara51506 how awesome that you were able to turn a bad (falling) into a good (yay to getting up on your own!). PT is a real pain but it absolutely does work. Also I wish cats would get the memo about not being trip hazards, Ive almost had a couple falls in the morning over girl cat who must be fed right that minute and my legs are still catching up.

@sfcakes - best wishes for a successful surgery on your back - hopefully that will take away some more pain or at least make you more confident for activities once you recover.

And congrats to everyone who had stable scans this month. I go in 30 Jan, although I had a chest and hip xray yesterday and they were in fine shape.

Have had quite the week with an unexpected (and unproductive) trip to A&E on Wednesday night because I happened to pop a slight fever at the GP when I went to just have someone have a quick listen to the burbling in my chest. The breast nurse called after and I mentioned it and yeah, had to go down. Seven hour wait for a doctor, but no one said anything until I had been there for five hours, stuffed in a tight corner on a hard chair because that was the only relatively safe space they could put me. I had a mask and all but it was tedious and someone in the main waiting room certainly had whooping cough. I self-discharged when at 1230 am they announced the wait time. The other cancer patient there with a fever also bailed - we were told to come back if we feel worse and its best to come in the morning. sigh

Started PT Monday and its been painful but helpful. I want to get off this cane so badly but hubs pointed out that its only been 2.5 months since rads ended and I need to accept it will take time to rebuild that muscle. He's right but it can be so frustrating some days.

Hope it warms up soon for some folks - we have a big wind storm coming on Sunday and then almost 60F Monday and Tuesday.

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,025

Congrats to good scans. Needed some happy news! Hugs to all.

Mae~loving the dog pic! Precious pups!

• irishlove

Oh baby it's cold outside. And inside the hospital and scanning rooms, too. I shivered the whole time I was in the MRI machine. But, it's done. Now for the long wait for an appt. (Jan. 30). This is the brain MRI with and without contrast, so it makes me anxious. Went to Denny's afterwards and had breakfast for dinner. Came home and curled up in our chairs immediately. Waiting on tomorrow's weather report to see about moving plants in and covering ground plants.

Waving hello thru the snowstorms to all. It's so great to see good scans on so many. Ah pups, make me smile. We'd love to add more to our pack, but with ill health and questions about living arrangements, we can't do it. In pockets for all your needs..