Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Options

Comments

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,290
    Options

So I was trying to get into bed and DB is partly right about the height being a problem, I almost bounced out just now. Height is no issue in getting out since I pull myself to sitting and ease forward. I figured if I had something to step on while getting in, it should be safer and it was, easy to sit farther back and use bed ladder to keep me in bed. Took stepbench that was at living room going into kitchen and will use that at night and return it to place in the morning. I will post how it works.

• mara51506
    Options

Well, next morning here. I did use the step bench I have for the extra height for getting in bed and it worked pretty well for me. When I got up, put the step bench back where it belongs. Pretty good system and ads extra safety in my room.

Today is the day where there is a rapid temp drop to below freezing with winds, I don't mind as I was very hot last night, might get start running the window fan throughout the night. I have Herceptin with an early paratransit ride. Depending on when I get there, might have time for a walk around the hospital before checking in. Will be wearing ankle winter boots with good tread as well, could be slippery. Will bring along a jacket as well. Very strange weather.

Breakfast will be the usual thing, using up black beans this time with beefless ground and rice and we will see after that.

Hoping everyone has a good day and in your pockets. Getting results of CT scan, not concerned about that so much but leaving the realm of changing in the back of mind. Not stressed about it.

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 9,988
    Options

Thank goodness you didn’t fall Mara. Glad the step bench worked for you. I definitely am not my nimble self anymore either.

Theo had me up at the crack of dawn. Ready to play. Didn’t sleep so good last night. I get racy feelings in my body and arms and it can’t rest up. Like restlessness with your legs. It drives me nuts. Sometimes I’m seeing a connection between napping and this happening on occasion. I need my sleep it’s the only way I can function. And I mean I need like 10 to 12 hours minimum!

have a good day ladies

• mara51506
    Options

Mel, yeah, I have a mattress topper that I got as the mattress itself caused back pain, topper stopped it but don't need to bounce out of bed when getting in. When I did my pull to sitting exercise with the bed ladder, I don't need the bench so move down the bed and push to floor. Step bench was helpful in lifting me enough to get into bed safely. Put the bench back between living room and kitchen as the safety factor is better than the tiny little level up it was before that caused previous trip and falls.

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 762
    Options

Mara In your pocket for appointment today, may you get there safely. Definitely some strange weather going on kinda the same here with crazy fluctuations this week. Although I do feel Spring is in the air, really looking forward to nice weather!

Shanagirl So glad to hear you have relief from PM and are able to get back to painting again. It's so nice to be able to share your talent with family and friends with the gift of art. Nice to see ya!

Mel Ugh bad sleep is the worst and we have this dreary weather today which doesn't help. Thinking of you and your family.

emac Thinking of you hope your having a good start to this week.

Quiet day here just a trip to get my thyroid labs. Will probably work on some crafts and exercise since my HFS flare up seems to be subsiding today.

Waving hi to all here, always in your pocket❣️

• mara51506
    Options

Cookie, I cancelled my app't and paratransit. I was standing at the door and was going to go, even got outside, almost got blown over. Garbage containers and all sorts of debris blowing along the road. Good soul from my building was trying his best to rescue containers, I suggested in stead of trying to put the containers from our place back where they would just blow, perhaps putting it beside the steps up to the building would shield them from the wind. Lots of people on my street desperate trying to rescue their garbage containers too. Our one or two day temperature drop is starting, cold later today and Thursday and warms up again Friday.

They will reschedule my appointment. Not willing to get hit by debris blowing around or get blown over onto the sidewalk, nope, no way. Now just need to put everything away and put on a Tshirt, it is hot in my apartment with the way they jacked up the heating for the building. Maybe they can do a phone app't about results, who knows. Will wait for the rebook of app't. I am making the assumption no new mets to report from the CT as it has been weeks now and they would not let it go that long considering my Stage IV and aggressive disease.

According to the radar, there is not supposed to be snow as of yet, I also assume the snow may melt on the pavement, who really knows.

• emac877
    emac877 Member Posts: 688
    Options

Thank you all for the positive thoughts. I go in for my second infusion of Enhertu on Friday and so far this week is better with my breathing. I am not as short of breath as I was last week and am able to move around the house more.

• mara51506
    Options

Emac, I am so happy to hear this for you. May the next coming doses keep helping. Are the SE bad at all?

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 1,011
    Options

Emac-Thanks for sharing your good news. Sounds like the Enhertu is working!

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,631
    Options

Thats awesome to hear emac, things are looking up!

• mara51506
    Options

Welll since I had to cancel MO app't due to high winds and stuff . MO told me CT scan normal, heart is 65 to 70 EF, and blead in head has not changed. Stable and NED from neck down on the phone.. Now the goal is to stay upright and strong and not have to call brother. MO wanted me to look into medic alert but it is way to expensive on my limited budget and any extra money I would have would be gone so not doing that. Keep eating healthy, march and walk more often and go to bed early. Last falls over couple of years included slipping on ice last year, Year before, had one fall tripping over sidewalk paver as did not lift my foot enough. Just keep building strength where needed, bridge pose, pushups for extra lifting, pull strength as well. Flu brought me down in January. I will walk with a cane if feeling that way and automatic Tylenol to prevent fever if another cold type thing came on.

• cookie54
    Options

emac So glad to hear breathing is better , in your pocket for Friday.

Mara Congrats on stable! Agree better to reschedule than to deal with the crazy weather. Has been very blustery here today also we may even get a thunderstorm when the temps drop. As March approaches you never know the the heck you will get!

• micmel
    Options

Congrats on stable Mara! Excellent news. Keep the good news coming! I am smiling for the first time in months….

• micmel
    Options

Emac~glad you’re breathing is better. That’s so important!!! Glad enhertu?(spelling?) is working. Yay!

• sf-cakes
    sf-cakes Member Posts: 577
    Options

Mara, hurrah for stable! And good for you to cancel your appt once you saw bins blowing around.

Emac, so good to hear your breathing is better, remaining very hopeful that enhertu works well for you.

Went for my monthly lupron shot yesterday, and while walking carefully along the hallways of the medical center, twice heard someone coming up fast behind me - nearly had a panic attack at the thought of someone running into me and causing me to fall down. The surgical team has repeatedly told me that falling this early after surgery would be very bad, and they don't want me using a cane or walker (which I don't think I need anyway) because then I'm not walking upright. So I pressed up against the wall and waited for them to sprint past me. Yikes. Was very glad to get home again, feel now like I don't want to go out anywhere around others for at least two more months, feel like I don't trust anyone. Don't like this feeling, but there it is.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,701
    Options

sf-cakes, that sounds really scary. I hope they at least said, "Excuse me" as they raced past you.

• mara51506
    edited February 29
    Options

Thank you about my being stable, it was a great relief for sure and nice my MO called.

I did get a surprise text from DB asking if I wanted a mall walk and small grocery stop as well. SIL was there too. She was not acting angry at me but basically told me the topic that caused the ruckus was over on her end. I agreed as well so avoided any talk about bed setup etc as well. I feel that was a good compromise, I will say that putting the step bench next to the bed to get into and avoid a slide out was a good idea, much safer to get in now. Put the step bench back in its normal sport to avoid tripping when going from living room to kitchen area. I was happy with my shop as it was inexpensive but will make many meals, only 33.00. Could not get my fish so when the weather is better, will take the bus to the mall and see if Walmart has it. For now, can just split it in half and stretch it with more stuff. Got a broccoli salad as well. Good stuff. I also managed to curb my lets by more canned beans and lentils, need to get through all of it first. Same thing with pasta noodles, I need to get through soup noodles as well, bought tons of those.

I will probably get some of the broccoli salad, perhaps with rice and a hard boiled egg with usual croutons and chips on top and then open a can of lentils or beans. Figure out the rest later. Cats have had their combo of a little wet food and dry, feed them small amounts throughout day so Tigger cannot overeat and do what we all know that can happen post over eating. Still give them at least one small smoothie a day with food crushed up too, they drink enough but the seem to enjoy the actual smoothie.

I hope everyone has a good day, in pockets as needed of course and in my own pocket to exercise as well. Nice and sunny today, still cold. Starts warming up again overnight so that will be good.

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 692
    edited February 29
    Options

Mara - great news on stable! Glad things are more normal w/DB & SIL.

Emac - glad to hear your positive news. Prayers that Enhertu is working.

Sf-cakes - your recovery is remarkable. I too would be fearful of falling.

Mel - thinking of you through all your loss.

Thankfully the crazy weather was only one day it was 71 on Tuesday and yesterday morning was 13 w/wind chill of -2. It was so cold and windy that dogs didn’t want to be out to potty. Got up to 22. This morning was 13 again but no wind what a difference! Today mid 40s and heading upwards for rest of the week.

Here for pocket duty and hugs.

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,251
    Options

Emac, glad the Enhertu seems to be working.

Mara, good news on being stable. Also good family news. Things are looking up!

sf-cakes, it is scary when people aren't aware of others, especially in a hospital! Glad you were safe.

My sweet older DB took his last breath yesterday. He suffered with COPD for a long time. Of course I was unable to fly to TN to be with him, but my younger DB held the phone up to him earlier in the day and I was able to tell him I loved him. He nodded but was unable to speak. He joins my parents and another brother in heaven. It is so hard not being able to travel to be there in person.

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 1,011
    Options

Intolight-My condolences. I'm glad you were able to speak to him one final time. May God give you peace and happy memories.

• sf-cakes
    sf-cakes Member Posts: 577
    Options

Intolight, I'm so sorry to hear about your brother's passing. I pray that his soul is at peace, and comfort for you and the rest of your family.

• mara51506
    Options

I did have a nice breakfast. I took beefless ground, just a handful, handful of tex mex cheese and a handful of lentils, put the silicone lid on top, cooked on high in microwave. Took it out, added a handful of garlic powder and salt. Took a handful of the broccoli slaw salad on top, added a bit of taco strips on top, small amount of ranch and mixed together, was really good. Just storing the slaw in fridge in a salad spinner bowl and planning to empty and dry the bowl daily. I don't use lettuce based salads as the lettuce does not keep. I am also NOT eating huge amounts of the salad in one meal as I think too much really is not good. Planning to make a thin pancake bread and use the magic bullet to turn lentils into a paste to spread on top and make a sandwch by cooking the pancakes in two mini griddles and they come out the right size.

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 692
    Options

Intolight - so very sorry to hear that you lost your older brother. I know it’s so hard not to be present but at least you were able to share your love with him. May he rest in peace and his family find comfort. HUGS❤️

• mara51506
    edited February 29
    Options

Oh Intolight, I am also sorry to hear of your dear older brother's passing. Even though I am sure he is at peace after a dreadful disease, your family and friends will all miss him and hold him in your heart forever and he will live on in memories as you go to sleep or whatever you do. My condolences to you, family and his friends. In your pocket. Even though you could not be there, at least you could speak to him and know he heard you. I am glad for that.

• micmel
    Options

Intolight~I am so very sorry for your loss. 😔 I hope that speaking to him helped you know he loved you too. It’s so hard. I am sending you a hug !

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,319
    Options

Sending you and your family our sincerest sympathies @intolight 💔

• emac877
    emac877 Member Posts: 688
    Options

Intolight - I am glad you got to speak to your brother one last time. I am so sorry for your loss and empathize with your sadness about not being able to travel. I pray the Lord bring you peace during this time.

Mara - So far so good with the side effects of Enhertu. I just had quite a bit of fatigue the first week. I'm so glad you got good news and the family situation is resolved.

sf-cakes - I would be fearful of falling also. Surgery or no I don't like it when people are rushing up behind me. I think it was a wise choice to get up against the wall.

Second infusion of Enhertu tomorrow. I had a thoracentesis today and they took 1L off each side again. I saw the PA for my oncologist and asked about the Pleurex catheters and they are planning it but want to see if after a few infusions the fluid starts decreasing on it's own in which case I may not need them. Anyway, that's pending. We are gearing up for the tail end of the big storm that is going to hit the Sierra Nevadas in Northern California. It was 65 degrees two days ago and today it's in the 30's going down to the high 20's. I don't worry about it much, the valley floor rarely gets more than an inch or so of snow but we are expected to get quite a bit of rain. It started already today and should continue through the next week. We need the moisture so I guess I can't complain. I will throw an extra blanket on the bed though. I am not a fan of the cold!

• mara51506
    edited March 1
    Options

sfcakes, don't blame you on fearing the falling, especially in the hospital, those floors are not forgiving and you certainly have a right to feel secure. I know you should follow medical advice but canes can be adjusted in height, you would be standing straight up and offer some extra security in a crowded setting. Just offing my two cents since I am of course a cane user. I've never fallen with a cane and if not needed, leave it elsewhere. In your pocket.

Our temps dropped from 55 F or 13 C down to 22F or -5 C with a windchill that brought temps for us down further, felt like -11, this was all in a few hours, crazy. Warming up again over the weekend.

• mara51506
    Options

Emac, the fatigue I can understand but so glad it seems to be working for you, in your pocket to keep it working.

• cookie54
    Options

intolight Sorry to hear of the loss of your brother. I'm glad you were able to send your love over the phone and I'm sure he was able to feel it. May he rest in eternal peace and breathe freely ,free of COPD.