Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Options

Comments

• irishlove
    irishlove Member Posts: 490
    Options

Good morning everyone. I know I'm gonna sound like the weatherman, but….bad storms started in Texas, OK, LA and gonna cross the country in a super breakout of tornadoes. I think we are in the 10 percent risk Thursday. I can't imagine hail the size of a golf ball. Anyway, be weather aware as this looks like a doozy.

Happy to see pics of pups and beautiful painting of birds. That sure picks up my spirits. I also do a little work then back to my chair and watch out the window for passerbyes and of course the bird feeders. Sunflower seeds for the birds have managed to self-sow, once again we have a beautiful, small number in the middle of the yard. Waiting to treat myself to buying some annuals on Friday. It's a present for getting thru the radiation. 7 down and 3 to go. Aquafor is working fine, just some burning. I believe I already feel improvement in base of spine.

In pockets for all your scans and support.

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,601
    Options

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I think the key is Just Start. Doesn't have to be hours, doesn't have to be finished, Just Start even when you don't want to. Ill try that today with a few things going on around the house and projects.

@mara51506 thank you for the recommendation, Im going to look that up this afternoon as I want something short I can start doing

@mkestrel what a beautiful painting! And here I thought I could only enjoy the photography side of your hikes and adventures :)

@micmel I had to read your caption to figure out if I was looking at the moon or not :) So very cool, that must have been crazy to see in person.

@irishlove I suppose its that time of year, isnt it. We watch The Masters and Ive just been waiting for the bad weather to start - when we went in 19 there was a tornado warning Sunday in the area (Columbia) we were staying, but we still hung out at the bar to watch the finish anyway. Thankfully Saturday on our day it was clear, sunny, dry and relatively not hot.

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 662
    Options

mkestrel - beautiful painting. Love the woods - so many possibilities of wonderful things to see (and eat too! Like mushrooms. Morel season is a coming).

Mel - great photo!

Another sunny day here - another trip to the dog park!

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 698
    Options

@mkestrel Wow gorgeous painting! So many talented women here, love it.

@irishlove Yikes, Hope the weather steers clear of your area. Glad to hear you feel some improvement already. Yep treat yourself to some beautiful flowers, great mood booster and you deserve a whole garden for all you go through!

Mel Such a great shot, where was she? Can you believe all those clouds rolled in around Pa and NJ , it had been a clear sunny morning. My brother lives in Malvern and did manage to get a glimpse.

sondraf Love the idea of just get started.I think we all have such high expectations on ourselves and disappoint ourselves when we don't have the energy or mental strength to complete things. I know I'm guilty of this at times. Just keep swimming……………….

@shanagirl Sorry your not feeling up to doing much, it just stinks. You are so creative and talented and you will get back to it on your better days.

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 9,917
    Options

Cookie~we are in the burbs of Philly . Bucks county. It did get cloudy but we managed to see some cool stuff. Would have been way better clear, but at least we saw something. Some places it was all cloud cover. I wanted to experience the darkness phenomenon. !

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,169
    Options

I love the art mkestral, no creative bone in my body, juices are more technology based for me. Food combos and frugality are my jam. Whatever supplies us some energy is what we need, Emac you have the right idea, energy is a bank. You withdraw for a task and make sure you have enough, small tasks, short tasks are the way to go, get more stuff done that way and hopefully friends and family are helping out, pocket duty for you.

Went to bed stupid late, not really sure why so of course the fatigue follows. I slept well enough while asleep. Oh well, got my MRI to check head bleed and brain. Not particularly worried about it as no symptoms happening. Right now finishing up some laundry and paying attention to cycles to get what I need finished quicker than usual. Set different chores to be done at same time. After laundry, litter box cleanup. Get garbage ready to go for tonight as well. That is no problem.

Getting to the point where I think DB needs to put in the AC, I know heat will be turned off but it is hot in the apartment right now. At least there is a window fan going and plenty of fans in the apartment. Thinking of cooking eggs in the mini griddle, back on wanting to give my brother the pancake mix from costco that was a waste of a purchase. I really need to stick to plain food as it can be a waste if I get tired of it. Core foods like eggs, little meat pies, pasta or even soup noodles with beans or other stuff. The seasoning should be the change in dishes not a bunch of new foods. Not sure what I want yet for meals, should involve eggs, no more junk needed either.

Hope everyone has a good day, pocket duBaty for those who need me.

Dad joke of the day, What did the ocean say to the beach?

Nothing, it just waved. 🐱 I'll see myself out.

• micmel
    Options

lol Mara~ I get wrecked when I stay up too late. I need to be in bed by ten latest. If makes me exhausted the entire next day. Or if I don’t get my nap one day, I feel intense fatigue. Even if I don’t sleep. My body needs the resting time. It makes doing any function difficult, because we have to arrange around that. I do better In The mornings.

• mara51506
    Options

Mel, I totally hear you. I just need to be smart about bedtime and perhaps head to bed a couple of hours earlier as I tend to like the facebook short videos for a bit then go to sleep after. We will see. At least today, I should get a nap in the MRI machine.

I did get laundry in the dryer and had a meat pie for breakfast, added some wheat bran and salt with a bit of caesar dressing. Was very good. Only thing left is washing one plate and putting together garbage for taking out tonight. The paratransit will handle the trip to and from hospital.

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,502
    Options

Good afternoon ladies

Mkestrel I did a triple take with that picture. I thought it was a photo. Lovely painting. I saw an osprey catch a fish and of course couldn’t get a photo. It lifted my spirit so much!!!

Shanagirl I’d love to see your paintings again. im not an artist but I do enjoy doing little drawings and crafts. I really enjoy marveling at others works of art.

Mel your daughters eclipse picture is amazing.

Mara your cooking creations are a work of art. So many people have you tube videos of them cooking and it seems very satisfying to them.

Emac nothing but weeding in my garden too. My daughter and my 5 grandchildren just moved out 2 days ago so I think I’m going to find some energy that’s been spent on other things and get in the garden. 🪴 I hope you get all the help you need bc just doing a little bit outside is very rewarding.

Irishlove thanks for the weather report. I haven’t seen the news for a few days.

Sondraf I have to think of some creative ways to move too. This festering wound from faslodex shot can’t get wet so no swimming, careful bathing, etc.

My recent Onc appt was 45 minutes we talked about changing faslodex injections to the pill. He gave me a lot of information but I wouldn’t make a decision. I just feel anxiety and fear to change to a pill bc the injections worked for 7 years but this wound infection has been lingering since January and I hate the injections. He wants me to keep injections and I want to try the pill but honestly I’m afraid of both. Any suggestions or experience?

Waving hello to all (intolight, cookie, illamae, candy, Runor, wren) and everyone else I can’t remember lol.

Tanya

• emac877
    emac877 Member Posts: 687
    Options

In your pocket for the MRI Mara.

Tanya, I was pulled off the Faslodex when I started Enhertu but I was stable on it for about 4 years. That wound sounds painful. Can you switch back after trying the pill for a while? Maybe just to let your body rest and heal?

Shanagirl I hope you are able to get your energy back soon. I'm sorry the injections are making you feel so lousy.

Irish - enjoy the flowers! I think it's always good to have little things to look forward to like that.

I hope everyone is having a good day so far. I am going to try and get out in the sunshine today and tomorrow while it's in the mid 70's before it gets cold and starts raining again. I'm so excited for warmer weather and sunshine!

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,365
    Options

Tanya - Is there another place they could inject? Usually there's more than one or two spots they can use, somewhere else on your body. Hope you find something that works. That wound sounds awful.

• threetree
    Options

Shanagirl - Do I ever hear you about the seemingly increasing fatigue, etc from the Verzenio and Faslodex!. Your original diagnosis was similar to mine, although you got a lot more time before stage 4 than I did. We both seem to have become stage 4 and started these drugs about the same time, though. Like you, I had a Verzenio dose reduction late last fall. It did help overall, but I find myself getting increasing aches and pains all over, increasing fatigue, and increasing inability to focus and concentrate, find interest in things and more. I think a lot of it is from the Faslodex. I'm wondering if it levels off at some point. If it just keeps going, I think I'd eventually reach a point where side effects alone could knock me off these drugs, in spite of what scans might show. I'm hoping both of us find a way to improve pretty darn soon!

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,180
    Options

Shanagirl and threetree, I join with you on the Verzenio/Faslodex issues. It is getting close to two years for me on this regimine. Today I barely got out of bed, and I am in a lot of pain with extra fatigue. I think it keeps getting worse. I see my MO on the 6th of May and hopefully she can help.

• threetree
    Options

Intolight - That's all very interesting and informative. Yes, it looks like you've been on these 2 drugs a year longer than Shana and me. I'm really sorry to read that you think it does keep getting worse, and that you've been experiencing what you have - sheesh! It's like the side effects are cumulative and just don't stop. I'll be curious to hear if your oncologist has any helpful suggestions. My oncologist and the palliative care arnp have suggested such things as OTC pain killers, anti- depressants, meditation, and PT; walking, and generally staying active. None of these things have much appeal for me, other than walking and being generally active, and are of limited value at best. Some here have been on these 2 drugs much longer though, and I get a sense that no one really stops them just over the general side effects. Unless individual genetics play an outsized role for some of us, I like to think things will level off or that there are some helps/solutions out there.

• sf-cakes
    sf-cakes Member Posts: 544
    Options

Mara, I laughed out loud at your dad joke, those are the kind of jokes that tickle my funny bone.

MKestrel, love your painting! I do not paint at all but I've been fortunate enough to acquire several original oil paintings that brighten up my house. I want to be surrounded by art and music and books for the rest of my life!

Tanya, it's a hard decision to switch meds, and your ongoing wound does sound painful. I hope you get some relief.

Packed up my office at work today, seven boxes of books and papers and odds 'n ends. Thankful that a good friend and her husband will bring those to my house later. Got to talk with quite a few people I've worked with for years, everyone so supportive and lovely, I felt really good about it all. Laying down now for a bit to relax my back (10 weeks out from spine surgery, hurrah) and also breathe, it's totally fine to rest when I need it, no more feeling guilty or like I "have to" do anything.

• shanagirl
    shanagirl Member Posts: 358
    Options

@threetree Yes I do believe the Fasoldex is causing this blah feeling and extra tiredness. I Think I was. So brainfogged this morning, I took the Verzenio dose 2 times. I kept thinking Oh no another 100 mg. In one morning, but I was fine.

@intolight I can’t start my day without my Excedrine in the morning, It takes my aches and pains away with my cup of coffee. Also I get the bone Pain in my spine and neck, and if the Excedrine doesn’t work late in the day, DH rubs the Vltarin gel and that works miracles. I often wonder if a lot of the aches are age related and the Estrogen blocking Fasoldex.

@tanya_djamila I’ve had lumps last on my butt for the whole month until the next shot Fasoldex shot. When that’s happened the tech just injects a little higher toward the hip. They would never inject the same place. I’m sorry you are suffering with that wound. Can you ask them inject away from the wound an go in another spot? I think they inject for a reason, and the pill may not work as well.

@mara51506 , I’m in bed early by 10, but I’m up reading or watching TV until 12. But las night I was so tired I went right to sleep. We had another earthquake aftershock and I slept right through it. It was on 2. Whatever. I’m feeling like I could fall asleep right now. In your pocket for the MRI🥰

@emac877 I’m thinking of you and send dome. Warm wishes and gentle hugs.

Hello @micmel @mkestrel @irishlove @sf-cakes @goldensrbest 🩵

• shanagirl
    shanagirl Member Posts: 358
    Options

PASTELS👇

• threetree
    Options

Shanagirl - I understand that the Verzenio dose when used as monotherapy is 200 mg twice a day, so you were sort of "in range". Glad you didn't have a bad reaction. Yes, the brain fog is awful and it has caused me a couple of times during the last couple of months to just forget to take the evening dose of Verzenio. I listen to the radio or something and then just doze off and completely forget about the pill. I am trying extra hard to give myself reminders now, but that would be totally unnecessary under "normal, i.e. no faslodex" circumstances. I hope you are able to find a way to get back to your painting in the way you used to!

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,607
    Options

@sondraf The only thing that got me through the dark period when I couldn’t eat was clinging to the slight chance that tomorrow would be better. It was tough to convince myself of that since depression set in and for the first time in my life, I found zero joy in anything.

Normally, what works for me is a short routine walk, watching a favorite comedy show (New Girl cracks me up every time) or movie, cooking something delicious and visually appealing or having an event, like a weekend getaway, concert, etc to look forward to.

• micmel
    Options

some talented people on this thread. Loving the paintings. Keep them coming. Feeling the same about fatigue. Just sucks the life out of you. I try to fight it. But when it’s time to nap it’s time to nap.
    thinking of you emac. Hoping everyone had a decent day at least.

Tanya~ hope the infection is resolved like now! Always good to see you.

we’ve gotten some feedback that everyone enjoyed the memorial for my mother and the food and the venue. It made me feel good to know people thought the event I planned was good. For her. Always for her. I miss her everyday and catch myself reaching for the phone every single day. Grief sucks

Goodnight to everyone

• mara51506
    Options

sfcakes, enjoy your rest and doing what you wish to

When I got home, was super tired due to the long wait for MRI and hunger. I almost ordered McDonalds but changed my mind. Just chopped up a handful of beans, beefless ground, some cheese and croutons, put it on a plate with a silicone lid. Heated up 2 and a half minutes on high in the microwave, added queso and salt and it was really good and more nutritious than a burger would have been, may pick up a couple when shopping with DB as an easy small meal, we will see tomorrow.

• irishlove
    irishlove Member Posts: 490
    edited April 11
    Options

@shanagirl Oh my gosh are those paintings wonderful and love the pups and pansies so much! I'm afraid I'm not artistic, but I do write poetry when I'm moved and sew once in awhile. I hope you find that wonderful vein of creativity now and always.

@sf-cakes Congratulations on retirement. I just don't know how you kept up the pace, especially after surgery. Isn't it grand to be surrounded by books and artwork. "I have my book and my poetry to protect me, I am a rock, I am an island". Courtesy of Simon and Garfunkel.

@micmel You did a wonderful event for all to honor your Mama. I can personally tell you I still want to pick up the phone to call my Grammy at 7 p.m. sharp every Saturday night. And she is gone18 years. My other Grammy, was Sunday evening after church. And she went to be with Jesus 32 years ago this May. You will always hold those conversations dear to your heart and hear her voice in your mind forever more.

@mara51506 Hi gal and wishing you a good MRI. What do you put into your meat pies?? They sound so comforting, especially on a cold day or a sick day. Lots of those to go around.

Hi threetree and emac and illimae, and tanya and cookie and intothe light and goldens and whomever I may have missed. Sending lots of love and sunny days your way. I had read that if you see daffodils that seem wild, that at onetime someone gently planted them. I guess they do not propogate on their own. I think I'll treat myself to lavendar, marigolds (both chase away mosquitoes) pansies (my Grammy's favorite) coleus (hard to kill, lol) and one more annual. Wish geraniums were found here. We always potted them for Memorial Day (back then it was called Decoration Day). They look lovely with the flag flying in the breeze.

Two more days of radiation and I'm done. Light burning, using aquaphor faithfully, see RO tomorrow. Friday I have a pallative care appt. I can't recall if they are just calling or coming to the home. Any input on services or ideas??? Thanks everyone and in your pocket for all needs, great and small.

• sf-cakes
    sf-cakes Member Posts: 544
    Options

Shanagirl, those are beautiful paintings!!

• threetree
    Options

Shana - I especially like the jelly fish and the dogs. Love that you do this, and appreciate you sharing with the rest of us. I'm one with no artistic talent, so really admire those who have some.

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 662
    Options

Shana - simply beautiful paintings! I’m intrigued by watercolor but I’m trying to restrain myself as I have so many Papercraft projects that I’m working on. Maybe down the road…..

Irish - pocket duty for you as you wrap up radiation. Prayers that the treatments prove to be effective🙏🏻🙏🏻.

Pocket duty for all others in need. HUGS🥰

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 698
    Options

Morning all, hope you had a restful night.

shanagirl Beautiful paintings, that's a God given talent. Love all the vibrant colors.

mel Gotcha, love Bucks County area. Glad you got to enjoy a little taste of eclipse. It's always so nice to hear how much people enjoying a gathering that you personally planned. Glad it turned out just as you imagined.

irish In your pocket as you countdown final rad days! Love your planting choices especially the coleus. Yes hard to kill but yet so beautiful , I love the magenta colors. Think I will grab some also. One of my mom's favorite, she always called them Saint Joseph plants. Lots of Italian /Americans have their special names for things. I see that it's also called "joseph's coat" guessing that's where it derived from.

Tanya Hope you're feeling better each day.

mara Positive vibes your way for a stable MR

No big plans here today, definitely will get outside before rain arrives this afternoon. I feel like we have had more than enough rain this spring. All my Hosta's have enjoyed it , they are blooming. Another easy no kill plant that I love. Big hello to all. pocket duty and continued prayers for all.

• mara51506
    Options

irishlove, I put caesar dressing and salt mostly after the frozen meat pie is finished. I like the taste combo, if I want some crunch, I am also known to put a few croutons in as well. You can add pretty much anything, sometimes I split the cooked pie in two and scoop out, add some cooked rice and use the caesar as well. Reheat for about 35 seconds on high. They are individual servings as well, not a large family size pie.

sfcakes, congratulations on your retirement as well, enjoy being able to make your own schedule for the most part.

Ordered breakfast after what could have a really frustrating day. Checked card that insurance comes out and found it to be charged twice, phone the company, a check was issued. The frustration built in trying to use my mobile bank and it not accepting my password. I tried and tried and decided to stop and remembered my other chequing account I use that is free, got it installed and bada bing, cheque is in bank, extra charge paid for. I confess that the password thing was a real PIA which was an issue for the first main bank, then the phone I tried to install second mobile bank on was a no go, luckily had an extra phone and it was there. Some frustration and almost tears on my part but never got to the possible crying which is progress for me and glad no further worries.

Hope everyone has a good day and in pockets for everyone who needs me as well.

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,502
    Options

good afternoon all

I think our rain is done for the day.

Shanagirl your paintings are lovely. Hummingbirds do love hibiscus. Puppies and pansies your artistic eye is keen.

Thanks for all of the faslodex pill feedback. Emac I may take your suggestion. That way if a prefer the pill and it works I’ll just stay on it. My rear end has lots of islands that never healed bc I’ve been getting the 3 inch needles once a month for 7 years. Grateful they’ve worked this long. Thanks for the support.

Tanya

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 976
    Options

Tanya-Ouch!!! I had no idea Faslodex came with such a big needle. A pill sounds so much easier but I haven't heard of them being regularly used yet.