Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Options

Comments

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 654
    edited April 14
    Options

Candy - stable is such good news! Again it’s hard to accept trite comments from people but when it’s health care providers making them, well, that’s even worse🤬

Sondra - sure hope and pray you get some answers so a you can get the right treatment and feel better. So sorry you have to feel so lousy.

Emac - I’m reporting for pocket duty! I also pray that WBR works wonders for you.

Irish - sorry you can’t seem to get your gut issues under control. Hope the NP can help you sort things out.

Waving to all other sisters here - sending good vibes your way!

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,299
    Options

Irish - Glad to hear that you are gradually getting somewhere with this. I'd forgotten about your colitis and diverticulitis. I can see why they could easily be the problem. I'm learning some things too from your situation. They tell me I have inactive diverticulitis that shows up on scans. I wouldn't know the symptoms if it "activated", so I am learning a bit from you. Really hoping that you get this figured out and get better sooner.

• shanagirl
    shanagirl Member Posts: 337
    Options

@tanya_djamila YIKES‼️ That needle is scary. The first few times I got that injection in my Tush it felt like a horse needle and she injected it so slowly. I am so. Much more sensitive in my right side yet Never really feel it on my left. I don’t know why. I still have a long lump underneath my skin on the right side that I can feel. It’s hard and feels itchy sometimes. I plan to ask the tech why this is…🩵

• shanagirl
    shanagirl Member Posts: 337
    Options

@candy-678 Glad to hear stable. Take heart Girl. You deserve this.

@emac877 In your pocket this week.😉

@moderators thank you for info on Fasoldex pills for @tanya_djamila . I’ve been trying to scroll back and find it but now can’t find the link on the information you posted..Can you post it again?🙏

Waving 👋 hi to everyone 💙

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,137
    Options

Irish, hoping your gut issues are relieved to the point you can function better. In your pocket for support.

Emac, hoping the best for your WBR as well, in your pocket for all steps of the process.

Doing laundry, did not complete yesterday so will redo everything. Today is nicer, less windy so will put in a 30 min outdoor walk. Perfect way to get ready to walk periodically from the hospital. Earlier Paratransit booking as well to give me a walk through the halls. No app'ts next week, 3 app'ts following week. Routine Echo, Herceptin in chemo and results of MRI.

Enjoying the new laptop and cooling fan

Doing something with some soupnoodles and beans I think. Need to use those up. I still have quite a bit of them and add little bit of black bean chopped up with either wheat bran or croutons, vegetable seasoning mix and so on. I bought a bunch of them as they were cheap but need to use them up at some point, If I get full, supper can add other food to it, no longer eating until full, am totally willing to split up into other meals if need be. Still working to eat through massive food as well, I am better at not buying food that is not needed and plan to do a big delivery shop every couple of months as well through delivery too. I like Walmart prices both for delivery as well as groceries.

• mara51506
    edited April 14
    Options

Decided to cook up some knorr pasta, garlic flavour. I do not have milk but will use cheese to thicken it up, should serve 2 or three meals as a side dish. May also work to boil down the water as well. Should work well, we will see. If it works, will add beefless ground and bean mix both chopped, noodles would be good with fish or eggs as well.

Edited to add, I used water, instead of milk, added some garlic butter and regular butter, closer to the end of cooking, added some shredded cheese and it came out extra thick, put some beefless ground in. Feeling full as I wound up eating the whole thing. Did take an enzyme and 1 loperamide, waiting to walk until I know how my body will react first. I did eat way too much but I am not worrying over it, right now, just waiting until a bit less full and then going for my walk. Also heavy on the garlic so will wait to see if any heartburn comes, usually am not bothered by that with the enzymes though.

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 9,881
    Options

I am hungry, I need to figure out something to eat. I’m always hungry after reading Mara’s post. Such interesting combinations.
    Hope everyone had a good weekend, Shame its over already…

• irishlove
    irishlove Member Posts: 481
    Options

Good evening all. Hope this day was warm and kind to you. The temp. hit 82 here, but a beautiful wind and no humidity. I opened the window by my chair and watched the squirrels at the bird feeders. The discarded sunflower seeds have surprised me with a beautiful area full of sunflowers. My sweet DH has been taking care of me and today surprised all of us with Cracker Barrel. I love the chicken and dumplings (up North our PA. Dutch family calls this chicken pot pie). Watching very carefully what I eat and small portions with this colitis or whatever it is. Better today potty wise and pain wise. Yesterday was 8 trips and about a 9 on pain scale. Haven't felt up to flower buying trip, so DH surprised me with a cool tropical themed quilt, with bright colored flowers. Quilts are my weakness.

The pallative care RN agreed to start me on Hydrocodine since I am no longer on LDN. So far, it has worked for about 6 hrs. continuously, but what a much needed break from pain.

In your pockets for all your needs.

• micmel
    Options

I love quilts also. They are so beautiful. I’m sorry you were so uncomfortable and in pain. That’s the worst. Please continue to feel better. Sending hugs

• mara51506
    Options

Mel, I try to keep it fresh for myself, I so easily focus in on one ingredient and get sick of it so making things in different formats help with that. If you are hungry and not lactose intolerant, just putting butter on bread, english muffin or bread with a sprinkle of shredded cheese would be a good quick snack, just put in the oven to bake around 425 for under 10 minutes keeping an eye on it.

Irishlove, I am glad you are having less pain today with the drug change. Watching the animals outside would be quite enjoyable and Cracker Barrel would be a nice surprise from DH.

I got some Mcdonalds as I received extra money, decided to have a treat with part of it, rest of day involving beans, beefless ground and queso with an egg on top and cooked in microwave. Doing some laundry. Back on the new laptop as well, bought it, use it. I am putting aside money to make up the cost of the laptop in my savings out of grocery or other earned money from the TV ads etc. I am also using one card for shopping as well, debit mastercard, keep bills from going overboard.

I had to head to the front door and found a vacuum and cord in my way, they are doing reno on an apartment on my floor which is fine but did not want to trip, unplugged and moved out of my way as I needed to pick up my delivery. I was happy because usually a thing like that makes me angry but just solved my problem instead, can go out the back door when ready for my walk. No anger felt by me.

Hope everyone has a good day, in pockets for those needing it as well.

• malleemiss251
    malleemiss251 Member Posts: 101
    Options

@mara51506, well done on the problem solving. Your recipes always are interesting. At the moment I am not eating a lot and as much as I like social drinking cannot face alcohol at the moment, so I get much enjoyment reading about others' recipes and drinks.😃

• irishlove
    irishlove Member Posts: 481
    Options

Waving hello to all. In your pockets for scans and life's needs in general. Sending extra strength to gals that are fighting lepto and to Regina as she makes decisions regarding further treatment. You all touch my heart and I'm praying for you.

Visited Gastro N.P. today. Couple things. She wants me back on antibiotic and of course I told her it's gonna be difficult to find one that is compatible with Ibrance. Next, good old suppositories for tons of hemmoroids. And the biggie, fluid in my colon, she believes to be an abcess. She feels I should have surgery to removed the bad parts of my colon due to diverticulitis/colitis. I am suffering. So she is referring me to surgeon in the building that operated on my DH for his severe herneia. My question is how long do I need to be off Ibrance and do I need to be off those nasty monthly fluveserent shots and what about Xgeva? I have made such great progress systemically with these treatments and I am afraid I'll go backwards with the cancer.

Laurel

• mara51506
    edited April 16
    Options

Irish, I hear you on your concerns about how long you can be off drugs to have this surgery to address the surgery. You most likely would not fall back as far as you think though I empathize with your concern. Back when my brain met was first found, it took a couple of months of steroids, planning and then radiation, so I was off a long time. I was nervous about being off Herceptin but did not suffer any ill effects from it, I will be in your pocket all the way through and send warm thoughts.

I scored two mayonnaise, Hellmans that were supposed to be 11.38 together. I had to buy two so I put them on the subscribe and save to get 5 percent off, so took off 60 cents and then had 7.43 from a little mobile game that I redeem to amazon. Total was 3.95, will get tomorrow. Feel pretty good about this. If I can take earnings and get some stuff delivered for free next day and the price is right, that works for me. I also bought a couple of fiber 1 brownies, can use those as a high fibre but good tasting dessert as well, not expensive, those were full price. With savings from money earned online, I can put money in a savings account and once it reaches the price of the computer, put those funds back in my account. I also plan to do a bigger shop at Walmart every couple of months by delivery, get small stuff going along. Still will not need a big shop anytime soon though. Was debating one in may but not sure if needing to so may wait for a big shop until closer to June.

Laundry and TV ads for a little money are on the go, mobile games will follow, trying to earn enough to pay for common things I buy that are needed. Since my TV is through Amazon primevideo, I get stuff that makes sense budget wise.

I cooked up a small chicken pot pie, going to let it cool then scoop into a container. I plan to use as an accent to meals like rice and chopped beans with an egg on top. Thinking that would microwave the rice, chopped beans and egg as normal less 30 seconds then scoop the meat pie part on top for the last 30 seconds. Use little caesar dressing and salt when done and just combine all ingredients, small amounts of each ingredient as well. Figure the meat pie would last stored in fridge for a couple of days. I can see using it in a meal with egg and hashbrown as well, same caesar dressing, I will have to see. I have beef and chicken along with turkey pot pies, they are small but many ways to use them to add flavour to a meal. Like I said, just need to scale back amount of beans, rice and cheese chopped up to make sure I can eat the whole thing. Like using multiple ingredients to make a nice flavour combo.

I hope everyone has a good day and in pockets where needed.

• mara51506
    edited April 16
    Options

I did make a meal out of the rice, beans, cheese which were chopped in some croutons, spread them on the plate, took a small spoonful of precooked pot pie, it is in the fridge now. Mixed in with other ingredients and did the usual 2 min 30 seconds with lid. When it came out, added some salt and caesar dressing. I can tell you that this was super delicious and worth splitting up the pie that way. I can also say, stomach not over full due to skipping the egg and small ingredient measurement. Used less than a quarter cup of each which allowed me to finish the meal comfortably. Though the beans and croutons chopped in with shredded cheese is always good, the layer the chicken pie added to the flavour was really nice, planning to cook up a couple of eggs, some beefless ground and add some of the pot pie again to give nice flavour, may add a precooked hashbrown as well. This time would add some mayo and ketchup with a bit of parm cheese and salt at supper. No beans this time. We will see.

• micmel
    Options

I love chicken pot pie! DH makes a great recipe. I also love Shepard pie as well. Now I’m hungry again!

• micmel
    Options

Theo gets his hair done Friday. I like it this way. But it really needs a trim. Here he is with his favorite shrimp taco toy!

• threetree
    Options

I will go to bed a little happier tonight, many thanks to Theo for being so cute!

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 679
    Options

mel That face and pose…simply adorable! I like the longer look also maybe he can get a little trim up.

Mara I also love a good chicken pot pie. Delicious ,hearty and goes a long way. Love a good deal, mayo can be so expensive.

irish Sorry to hear you may need colon surgery, it just never ends sometimes. We all understand your concern with being off treatment, it's tough mentally. Let's hope it's not for to long. Hope you get in quickly for surgical consult.

Waving hello to all and in your pockets and in my prayers always. Have a peaceful day.

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 654
    edited April 17
    Options

Theo - you are a very, very cute pupper❤️🐾🐾❤️

Irish - I was off Ibrance for 6 weeks for my 3 joint replacements. 2 weeks before and 4 weeks after. I continued on anastrozole during those breaks. I had no problems and remained stable. Surgery is scary but if it helps in the long run it is worth it. You will be in my prayers.

Mara - you are such a temptress with all your food talk. Makes me hungry.🤤

Speaking of hungry - our vultures waiting for breakfast this morning🤣

• mara51506
    Options

Goldens and Mel, loving the goldens and little Theo with his toy, they are adorable.

Goldens and Mel, I love the small pot pies, and adding them to other things is good for sure. I fully enjoyed them.

Breakfast looked strange but was good chopped black beans, cheese, beefless ground with an egg, put some ranch dressing in as well, stirred up in chopper, put on a plate, cooked up 3 mins in microwave with lid. added bit of mayo and garlic powder with a little salt, stirred up and ate it. It was really good, after breakfast, had 4 peanut M&Ms. Supper will involve 1/4 cup quinoa and likely some lentils.

I am waiting on my 3.95 order of 2 of the Hellmans 890ml size mayo and the 2pkgs of fibre brownies which are really good, may pick up Cool Whip to go along with them. Other than that, normal chores like laundry, tv ads for cash etc will be part of my exciting day, raining so will likely not get out but that is OK.

I hope everyone has a great day with pups or not and I will be in pockets as usual.

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,153
    Options

Sondra, so sorry you are suffering in the hospital. I hope they can get you stable enough to go home soon!

Irish, also sorry you may need surgery. I agree that it is scary to postpone treatment but would be worth it.

I am enjoying the first rays of Spring, but of course it is going to get cold and rainy, maybe snow, starting tomorrow for a few days. That is Spring in the Rockies! We bought some flowers yesterday for our large pots. Needed to get them planted so the workers can run the sprinkler system into them tomorrow. Will need to protect them…

Mel and goldens, Love, all the puppies. I don't know how you get them to pose for you! Princess seems to know when I want a picture, but here she is in her cat pose lol

• mara51506
    Options

Well, breakfast did tell me I ate too much fat as digestive sysem has alerted me. Taking care of it as we speak, should not be a problem much longer. I will say it was really good anyway.

Sondra, I missed you being in the hospital so in your pocket to spring you soon and feel better of course.

Intolight, love your baby as well, so cute. Hope it stays warmer for you. We are warm enough to avoid snow but are getting some showers here today. Oh well, don't want brown dry grass anyway.

• malleemiss251
    malleemiss251 Member Posts: 101
    Options

Mel, Goldens, and Intolight - puppoes are gorgeous and those eyes just make me melt. I shall go hug kitties now. Everybody, I hope you have a good day.

• runor
    runor Member Posts: 1,613
    Options

Hello All:

Been a bit since I dropped into Mel's living room. As usual it is filled with a brave and intrepid bunch of people who continue on in the face of misery and suffering that many would buckle under. Sending healing hope to all who need it and wild congratulations and joy to those who are doing okay.

Despite having a new weird 'thing' in my good boob, which they monitor every 6 months with ultra sound, I am doing well. I do battle the odd flare-up of lymphedema. I never know it's coming. Usually I've been bashing post holes with the wrecking bar or splitting firewood and that will sometimes tend to flare it up. Seems heavy work that causes impact on my arm will send it into crazy swelling and then it takes weeks to settle down. But like I tell my Hub, I am no longer a 35 year old man and can no longer do the work of a 35 year old man so my days of bashing holes in the ground with a wrecking bar are coming to a close.

I am having a very unpleasant stage in my life. At least I think it's unpleasant. I don't go anywhere. I don't leave the house to go to town alone. Sometimes I think, 'Runor, you need to brush your hair, put on presentable clothes, get in your truck and go be around some people' . And then I think, why? More and more I find there are less and less people I want to hang around with. I have lost my ability to 'people'. Someone will strike up a random conversation and while I am polite and able to speak, in my head I am thinking, 'oh my god I don't give a shit about this, please stop talking and go away. ' Other times I hear myself speaking to someone and think, "Runor, this 16 year old check- out person seriously does not give two shits about your day so why don't you just STOP TALKING!' And I go away feeling stupid and mortified that I have become an irrelevant old person. Or someone will now and then suggest we get together for coffee and I smile but in my head and screaming,' please, no! ' I think I have not made my peace with turning 60. Yikes. Ouch. Barf. I said it out loud! 60. Jeez.

I do go out on the wknds when Hub is home and we load in the truck, drive to a gas station, buy some hot chocolate and munchies, drive across the valley, park in the empty parking lot of a rural church and look across to the mountains on the other side and remark about the savage mess left by last year's forest fire. Last year we'd park in the same church lot and watch the fire flash across the forest. It was awful. Often we have my aging mother along who sits in the backseat of the truck and says, 'this is your idea of fun?' Then she tells me I should do something with my awful hair. She's right. It's awful. I should do something. I don't. I've quit caring. I put it up with clips meant for a 9 year old. And now with the price of everything in Canada, gas having recently gone up, even going for a random drive is becoming risky, pricey behaviour.

So I guess you could say I dropped in to say I've turned into a sour, slow, unfriendly old coot.

Love and hugs to you all. Be well and get your hair done! R

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,872
    Options

you sound like you might be depressed. Talk to your doctor. You are not irrelevant because you are 60

• mara51506
    edited April 18
    Options

Runor, the weight of life is weighing on you and there are things you will be less able to do as time goes on. The lymphadema is a big PIA. As far as your hair goes, that is all your own business. I still have some crazy brown hair on my head, rarely trim it but I really don't do anything with it, I look like a crazy clown as it stands straight up, cover up with a wig and keep the brown hair that pokes out of the wig, makes look more real but I have stopped wearing makeup etc as well and don't put a fake boob in and have the uniboob. I am 52 so I can empathize with changes, what you and your husband do on the week sounds lovely, glad to see you and in your pocket. Also, I cannot disagree more with being irrelevant as you get older, you most certainly are relevant and while you may need to adjust your activity due to you arm, know you are important. As long as you are not holding up a line, most cashiers appreciate someone like us being nice for a change, talk as you wish.

Well, I craved Taco Bell for supper so I ordered it. Fries supreme and beef gordita crunch. Since I know it would like cause digestive issues, did usual digestive enzyme, 2 immodium before and 2 after, shut everything off so was probably wise and really did enjoy the free meal as I had more money earrned to pay so that was great.

• threetree
    Options

Intolight - Princess is absolutely adorable - and with "flowers in her hair" no less!

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,153
    Options

threetree… lol … Those were from a vase behind the couch. Princess was perched on top of the couch like a cat. I just happened to catch the flower look. She hates anything in her hair. When the groomer puts in a ribbon, or a kerchief, Princess rolls around frantically until it flies off. At least she tolerates a collar and loves to go for walks on her leash.

Runor, I don't really know you but you do matter. You are correct that we put up with so much crap it is hard to tell when someone is sincere or just saying the first thing that pops into their head. I find that when I look for nice people though, I find nice people. I tend to stay home too and only go out with my family to eat, or to attend the never-ending doctor appointment. I have also started having my groceries delivered so I don't have to deal with anyone in the store, and thank goodness for Amazon! This is what cancer does to us, and we are the only ones who really understand.

• eleanora
    eleanora Member Posts: 297
    Options

@runor

I hear you and sometimes feel that way myself. I found a great quote the other day "I hate when I go out in public and the public is there."

Circumstances have conspired to make socializing difficult. We moved and downsized a few years ago, leaving friends and familiar, comfortable routines behind, and the pandemic has made it difficult to establish new ones. When I am the only one wearing a mask at an indoor function people tend to assume that I'm contagious and shy away from me. If I try to initiate a conversation, it's difficult to make myself understood through the mask in the midst of surrounding conversations.

The one point on which I disagree is age. I am in my early 70s and celebrate every day that I inch forward. Cancer may deny me some of my normal lifespan, but not the 20, 30 or 40 years it will deny the younger women who post here, and I'm very grateful for that.

I've been very active my entire life and while I regret (and occasionally feel anger) that my activity is being curtailed, I still do as much as I can - riding an exercise bike every morning, going for long walks when whether permits and gardening in two small flower beds. I travel near and far, as physical ability and money allow, assuming that it won't be possible much longer.

I apologize for the long post and if I'm speaking out of turn. You don't have your history attached to your post, so I have no idea of how long you've been fighting this ugly beast and particularly stage IV.

I wish you strength and a long future.

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 679
    Options

goldens and intolight Thanks for adorable pics! My morning starting off great..coffee and pics of these cutie pies😍nothing better.

Runor Just chiming in to say YOU matter and 60 is not old (at least I hope being 58 myself). As we age we have more to give to our younger generations if we choose to. You are filled with advice through all of your experiences whether good or bad. You do you and whatever makes you happy but don't discount yourself because you are more than worth it!!

Thinking of all who are having a challenging day, week and sending strength your way.